PDA

View Full Version : I'm loving EVOO!

skyblue
May 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
I was trying to do twin french braids the other day and had terrible tangles, so I oiled my ends and this helped! It's been a few days since and I see that it left my ends looking soft and smooth! No dryness at all! I'm pleasantly surprised with how well EVOO works for me!
I love my Africa's best mixture but I'm almost out of that so I'm happy I found a substitute

Joribear
May 1st, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm with you on the EVOO love! My ends were so dry and then I started using EVOO. My hair is so soft now!

Slinks
May 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM
I like my evoo mix too :-)

danaj421
May 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
EVOO is usually to heavy for me, but it's the only thing that's helped my dry ends:D

jojo
May 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
EVOO rocks :rockerdud I totally love it! though my daughter got me some vatika oil which ive not used in yonks so going to try that sometime soon!

jojo
May 2nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
EVOO is usually to heavy for me, but it's the only thing that's helped my dry ends:D

I see your hair is similar to mine, I find EVOO too heavy if I use it on dry hair, but on damp hair its brilliant! maybe try try it on damp if you havent already!

McFearless
May 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
EVOO is brilliant ya got that right.

tierra11
May 2nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
i hope EVOO works for me i just brought some yesterday and i can't wait to use it!

Signe
May 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I love EVOO for my hair. I usually melt half coconut oil half EVOO when I detangle so it penetrates my hair faster and doesn't look so heavy. I find without the EVOO, coconut oil can dry my ends out a wee bit, but without the coconut oil, the EVOO just sits on top looking greasy.

Lippytoes
May 3rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
I love EVOO for my hair. I usually melt half coconut oil half EVOO when I detangle so it penetrates my hair faster and doesn't look so heavy. I find without the EVOO, coconut oil can dry my ends out a wee bit, but without the coconut oil, the EVOO just sits on top looking greasy.

Ooh, I should try this mix - coconut oil can sometimes dry my ends.

Mrspuddinhead
May 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I find that my ends are very dry, I think it is due to the dry air in California. I'm from Alabama and never had this problem before I moved to Cali. I will have to try the EVOO. Where do I purchase coconut oil, and what is the mixture?? Or is there anything else to mix it with?? Thank you so much!!

Madora
May 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Oh, I am so ON the EVOO love train.

Did my first ever treatment last night. Here's a pic of how it looked outdoors today:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/54111stevoo.jpg

alwayssmiling
May 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evoo is my favourite oil. I add a few drops of neroli eo to make it smell nice. It really is a very softening oil and give a nice shine. I use it on damp hair - I like to think it seals in moisture.

Spring
May 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM
EVOO lover here :cloud9:

Signe
May 4th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I find that my ends are very dry, I think it is due to the dry air in California. I'm from Alabama and never had this problem before I moved to Cali. I will have to try the EVOO. Where do I purchase coconut oil, and what is the mixture?? Or is there anything else to mix it with?? Thank you so much!!

you can get coconut oil in a health food shop, an asian food store, or online. refined coconut oil has no scent, whereas virgin unrefined smells quite strongly of coconut. i just mix half EVOO and half coconut. a little bit goes a loooooong way.
look at the article on oils and decide whether you would want a different mixture or not. http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190

i like this because i use these oils all the time in cooking anyway, and they just so happen to make a nice blend for hair.

coconut oil is also an amazing skin moisturiser, makeup remover, and lip balm, so i am never without it. :)

skyblue
May 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Oooo! Madora! Impressive!! Your hair looks beautiful!!
I have used it in wet hair but that one time I needed it to keep my hair from knotting up while I was french braiding so my hair was dry and yes it did just sit there but the next morning it had soaked in and left my ends really nice! I am so hooked now lol!
So glad to see it's not my imagination! lol!!!
So many of you can't be imaging the same thing hahaha!!

Madora
May 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
@skyblue...Thank you! I had pondered doing the EVOO thing for the longest time but was very hesitant to try it because I only use what I know works..the George Michael products and Tresemme Naturals condish (Aloe w/avocado - w/o cones).

I was also concerned about how "messy" it would be..not to mention if there would be any lingering "olive oil odor" after it was applied.

No worries! It was very simple to apply and all the hair was oiled and wrapped up in 15 minutes. Can't ask for anything quicker than that! About the only con (and this is miniscule) is that the cling wrap made my scalp warm after a while. I finally took it off, put a large towel on my bed pillow, and everything was fine in the morning.

breeanna92
May 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I love this stuff! i use it on my face too! it makes it smooth and soft.

sweetestpoison
May 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I was trying to do twin french braids the other day and had terrible tangles, so I oiled my ends and this helped! It's been a few days since and I see that it left my ends looking soft and smooth! No dryness at all! I'm pleasantly surprised with how well EVOO works for me!
I love my Africa's best mixture but I'm almost out of that so I'm happy I found a substitute
EVOO is the best thing i've ever discovered. I was never around it growing up and didn't even know it existed until my late teenage years (probably around 16 or 17) and never thought of using it for anything other than keeping my noodles from sticking together.. But since i moved in with my BF (8 months ago) We have been using it for everything in the kitchen! Then one day i found out you can use it for your skin.. of course i was skeptical... but my skin has never looked better than when i use EVOO as a moisturizer. Then after searching a little more, because i was so pleased with my skin results, i discovered it can work wonders for your hair too! Now the first time i tried it i used WAY too much, it was actually leaking down onto my face from my hair.. it was a lot.. so i gave up on it for a while. Then i thought, if i only use a little on my face, why would i use a bucketful (not literally) on my hair?? So i started putting it on my ends the way i would my face, a little at a time, working it in, not letting it get too heavy, and finished up with a nice EVOO scalp massage. Threw my hair in a bun, left it in over night, and OMG my hair was fabulous! I don't have any pictures up of the way my hair used to be, but it was unruly, my brothers used to joke about my hair being a horses tail! Of course that was when i was littler but my hair didn't change that much as i got older, just my brothers attitudes. I hated my hair and thought the only way i would have lovely hair was with extreme heat, but my hair thanks me every day for the weekly oiling with EVOO :)

Mrspuddinhead
May 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
[quote=Signe;1588726]you can get coconut oil in a health food shop, an asian food store, or online. refined coconut oil has no scent, whereas virgin unrefined smells quite strongly of coconut. i just mix half EVOO and half coconut. a little bit goes a loooooong way.
look at the article on oils and decide whether you would want a different mixture or not. http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190i like this because i use these oils all the time in cooking anyway, and they just so happen to make a nice blend for hair.

Thank you so much for your help. I can't wait to try this. How often should I use this treatment?? Can I leave it in or do I was it out?? Sorry I have so many questions.

Signe
May 4th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Thank you so much for your help. I can't wait to try this. How often should I use this treatment?? Can I leave it in or do I was it out?? Sorry I have so many questions.

Use it as often as your hair likes, which only you can figure out by experimentation. I put a small amount of oil in my ends almost every day, but I oil heavily once a week/two weeks.
I also use this as a detangler by dipping the very tips of my fingers in the oil and rubbing it around to coat my fingers before I fingercomb my hair. It helps my fingers glide through my hair more easily.

If you are only using it on your ends then leaving it in shouldn't be a problem as it will soak in (if you are new to oiling then definitely start VERY small with your amounts and gradually work it in until you find how absorbent your hair is).

If you want to do a heavy oiling (the whole length and/or scalp) then shampoo or CO it out when you want to wear it down again.

Be cautious, though, oil can seal the moisture out of your hair if it is very dry to begin with, so a lot of people like to oil the very ends of their hair when they are still wet/damp.

Coconut oil and EVOO are also a different consistency. Coconut oil is solid at room temp so I usually put a little bit of it with the EVOO in a small glass fingerbowl and set that in some hot water to melt the two together.

Mrspuddinhead
May 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Signe thank you so much for the advice I truly do appreciate it & I will put it to great use. I believe over all my hair is healthy, other then the ends. I belive that is due to curling and the dry wind, and weather. I'm proud to say I've stoped coloring my hair as well as curling it with heating elements. So hopefully with even small changes like that it will make a difference. Thanks again!!:D

Lee's Girl
May 7th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Did my first ever oiling with EVOO on Thursday night, washed it out yesterday (Friday) afternoon. I am absolutely amazed at the difference! Apparently my hair & EVOO are starting a love affair or something...

WittyWordsmith
May 13th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Ok, so I have some Clover Valley EVOO that I picked up the other day. Nothing special, it was at the Dollar General and I was out of the good stuff. It says it's "Cold Pressed" and it really smells just like a jar of olives. Go figure.

Is there a specific type that people use for their hair? What should I be looking for in EVOO?

Lee's Girl
May 13th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I just use the stuff I picked up at the grocery store - it's actually a store brand EVOO, but it works great!

Dark Queen
May 16th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I've been oiling my hair for a long time, but I hadn't been using EVOO. I'm almost out of the stuff I was using, so I tried the EVOO for the first time last night to see what it's like. Well, I accidentally put too much, but I couldn't really tell until earlier today because I had it up in a bun all day. I think I underestimated the oil :o. I ended up having to wash again tonight because I'd overdone it so much, LOL. I think I'll try putting a lot less in next time. It will take some time to get the concentration correct, right? :)

WittyWordsmith
May 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Dark Queen, I've done that sooo many times now. That's what braids are for! It gives you time until you can get a chance to wash again. :)

Dark Queen
May 17th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Dark Queen, I've done that sooo many times now. That's what braids are for! It gives you time until you can get a chance to wash again. :)

That's true. The good thing is my hair is now extra soft, LOL :D