PDA

View Full Version : I want THIS hair =(

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 07:07 PM
can someone please tell me how can get hair like christian bale?

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/the_new_world14.jpg

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2008/06/christian_bale_2.jpg

i dont mean the hair cut i mean how can u get hair thats shiny, nice texture and its not too flat or too afroish?

i have same length hair, its a bit wavy and real thick...i can never have hair like him, i mean i put serum, oil etc to achieve its shine but then my hair curls up way to much, if i straighten it with flat iron my hair gets too flat to the point i cant style it, if i leave it naturally its just a mess.

is there a product that helps you get that certain look he has?

thanks heaps guys :)

Miss Catrina
May 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
How do you wash your hair? I've been getting crazy shine lately by using an apple cider vinegar rinse.

MeganE
May 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
can someone please tell me how can get hair like christian bale?

i dont mean the hair cut i mean how can u get hair thats shiny, nice texture and its not too flat or too afroish?

i have same length hair, its a bit wavy and real thick...i can never have hair like him, i mean i put serum, oil etc to achieve its shine but then my hair curls up way to much, if i straighten it with flat iron my hair gets too flat to the point i cant style it, if i leave it naturally its just a mess.

is there a product that helps you get that certain look he has?

thanks heaps guys :)

Here's a good article to read, as I see that you are new:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

Article on hairtyping:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=164

And here's the thread for the curlies:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

christine1989
May 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I would use a volumizing shampoo/conditioner to get the nice lift and bounce and a silicone spray after your hair is dry because it adds amazing shine without too much weight.

silverjen
May 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Stop using shampoo. Seriously. Search for "water only". Water-only washes reproduce the look of expensive styling products, but without the actual product. Or expense.

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for replys ppl. I appriciat it.
Catrina: i usually shampoo and then condition my hair in the shower. Although some days i dnt use shampoo, just condtioner. I deep condition my hair once a week...is apple cider a product or actually apple cider?

Megan: thanks for the links. I quick rad them n yes i hve tried some tips in the past but i didnt see any difference.

Christine: the problem with that is i have crazy thick hair. It does have lift but way too much.. If iron flat it thn it gets too flat... I will try that product u mentioned tho.

Silverjan: like completly stop? Becuase i did that for 2 weeks but then my hair got so greesy that it was unmanagable..

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
My hair is wavy and thick at that length (curlier now) like you described yours, what helps "tame it down" is oil. If you already have some olive oil in your house, you could do some hot oil treatments as pre-wash, within time your hair will be more weigh down (the oil seems to saturate over time). My hair used to really pouf out, still does but less. A drop or two while damp after wash can help too.

ETA: I just see you posted above. Water only is a good option too, but there are ways to do it, seek out the water only thread, you wash with your fingers, breaking down the oil, use a boar bristle brush while dry and after a while your head will produce less sebum (in most cases).

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 07:53 PM
Liana how many times a week would u suggest hot oil treatments?

xoxophelia
May 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM
If you have two totally different hair types in both thickness and texture you might want to look around for a style you like that works with your hair naturally. Otherwise, you will probably have to go to somebody who can perm your hair to that texture, layer it, and thin it out. But that would be expensive, take a lot to maintain, and look possibly worse than it did before.

Girls go gaga over guys with nice curls around here. You might consider playing around with your natural hair texture first and then go to greater extremes if you still want to.

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 07:55 PM
Liana how many times a week would u suggest hot oil treatments?

It depends how much do you wash, but I'd say once a week would be good for most people. Just leave it in for 30 minutes or so (though some leave overnight).

ETA: I'm not sure if your hair is just wavy or curly, but a lot of people like the "curly girl method" here, where you put leave-in then some hard hold gel all over your hair, often they just co-wash too. I was just refering to the styling method, which works even if you don't just co-wash.

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM
xoxophelia: ok i think i miss described something, what does texture mean again? and is there any styles you might recommend that might be good for my hair? (pics would be helpful) =)

Lianna: thanks i will try that tonight, btw do i keep deep conditioning my hair or no? and is this olive oil for cooking or olive oil the Indian product?

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
xoxophelia: ok i think i miss described something, what does texture mean again? and is there any styles you might recommend that might be good for my hair? (pics would be helpful) =)

Lianna: thanks i will try that tonight, btw do i keep deep conditioning my hair or no? and is this olive oil for cooking or olive oil the Indian product?

Texture means if your hair is straight, wavy or curly. Take a look at this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=164) article. You'll know how to type yourself.

You can use any conditioner you want (deep treatments or not) normally. The olive oil is the same as the cooking one. When you use it on damp hair is a deep moisture treatment.

I don't know if you want curls (the actor doesn't have curls) that's why I didn't say gel sooner, since it helps define curls (I personally don't like it because I like hair soft and gel doesn't leave my hair soft). If your hair is just wavy, I wouldn't gel it, lightly oiling after while damp will help with frizz and poofiness. And deep (heavy) oilings will help restore moisture over time.

After you do the hair type wash (no touching while it dries), and if you discover curls, you might want to google the "curly girl method".

Miss Catrina
May 1st, 2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for replys ppl. I appriciat it.
Catrina: i usually shampoo and then condition my hair in the shower. Although some days i dnt use shampoo, just condtioner. I deep condition my hair once a week...is apple cider a product or actually apple cider?

Megan: thanks for the links. I quick rad them n yes i hve tried some tips in the past but i didnt see any difference.

Christine: the problem with that is i have crazy thick hair. It does have lift but way too much.. If iron flat it thn it gets too flat... I will try that product u mentioned tho.

Silverjan: like completly stop? Becuase i did that for 2 weeks but then my hair got so greesy that it was unmanagable..

It's actual apple cider vinegar, diluted about 1 tablespoon to a cup of water. Many people here use it in place of conditioner, particularly in conjunction with baking soda washes.

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
Liana: o right then what i ment is that my texture is basically the same as the actor....its kinda of starts straight, then gets wavy......by the hairs at the back of my head at the very bottom of them curls like a "J" shape (which i personally hate btw)

no i dont want curls, what i ment was i have waves like the actor but i never seem to get his look....and same here i dont like using gel, i prefer not to have any products in my hair. but if i had to have aproduct to achieve a certain look then i would use it as long as it wont damage my hair in the long run (like gels do).

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 08:21 PM
Catrina: but doesnt vinegar dry your hair up?

Miss Catrina
May 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Catrina: but doesnt vinegar dry your hair up?

Not that I've heard of, if you dilute it enough (and the amount I described is like 1:10).

gthlvrmx
May 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM
If you have two totally different hair types in both thickness and texture you might want to look around for a style you like that works with your hair naturally. Otherwise, you will probably have to go to somebody who can perm your hair to that texture, layer it, and thin it out. But that would be expensive, take a lot to maintain, and look possibly worse than it did before.

Girls go gaga over guys with nice curls around here. You might consider playing around with your natural hair texture first and then go to greater extremes if you still want to.

I'm agreeing with her, curls are the bomb! :)

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
Oh, so you might have what I call "flippy ends". I had those. Do they flip out a lot? If so, it might be curl you're combing out. I'd have spirals if I didn't comb. All gels aren't bad, mainly those with alcohol are, but you can get without it, you can even get all natural gel like aloe vera gel (though they have less hold). Gel might help you get those ends under control (use gel and comb, dry then fluff). I'd start with the oil though, it's just simpler plus adds softness and shine. If you have indian stores near you, you should definally check out the vatika hair oil, I just started using and it's great, light and tames a lot of frizz!

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Catrina: ima try that too, see how that works thank you so much.

gthlvrmx: ummm no :)

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Curls can be the bomb too! Check out this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26387)! :)

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Liana: yea they do flip out.. but i dont comb by hair. usually after shower i just wear a beeny, maybe thats the problem? and umm whats dry and fluff?...i actually bought oil from an indian store that says use on hair daily to nourish your hair and shine..

btw i have this product, LoReal fix anti-frizz Tec ni art....is taht any good if any one used it before?

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
Liana: yea they do flip out.. but i dont comb by hair. usually after shower i just wear a beeny, maybe thats the problem? and umm whats dry and fluff?...i actually bought oil from an indian store that says use on hair daily to nourish your hair and shine..

btw i have this product, LoReal fix anti-frizz Tec ni art....is taht any good if any one used it before?

I think the beanie might straighten the top and leave the ends to go natural, thus the flip. Let it dry naturally, nothing pressing it, hair changes form this way (a lot of people do this on purpose to create styles). Check the ingredients on this hair oil, often it's mineral oil, make sure the oils you buy are natural because they give better results (I'm not even gonna go into that whole why mineral oil is/can be bad...personally because I don't even believe it). I hope this oil you have is natural (plant) but did you say in the original post that it didn't work for you?

ETA: About the anti-frizz, I don't know because products are a personal thing, plus these kinds never worked for me. I'm assuming it's a coney (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) serum, though coney conditioners work for me.

Try to wash it and not touch the hair with anything to see what happens. This gives us more information to help you out.

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Liana: o ok so the beeny is ruining it. gotch ya....so if i want teh same style as the actor should just let dry naturally? yea i did check when i bout it. it was i think 20 or 30% mineral oil.. if thats a abd thing then i will stop using it...yea i have tryed serums (works good for short periods of time) and oil makes my hair look very greasy and shiny and it gets real hard to manage...the reason why im using the one i got yesterday is cos it said on the label "50% less sticky than other oils" so i figured it went get so greasy. i used it today. my looks real shiny....but wat 2 shiny and hard to manage.

and i saw ur post about the curl thread...i undrestand why some people like curls but personally i just dnt feel comfortable if i had curly hair :D but thats just me.. i sometime slike to have messy hair but not curly for some insane reason LOL

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM
ok so i should wash my hair tonight leave it dry and take a picture and post it?

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM
That's fine about the curly hair. I wear mine just wavy because it's just easier. Personally I would still use the oil (with 30% mineral oil) if it would work for me, but I think this oil is building up on you, because you say it's hard to manage after a while...do you mean like your hair feels crunchy/dry or the like? (too much oil can do this) Have you thought about creamy (water based) leave-ins? They work for a lot of people (though often sticky on me) Grapeseed and camellia oil are very light, if you feel some oils are too heavy for you. You did say your hair is coarse (C), so I don't think any oil would be too much, just a matter of amount, start with very little, less than you think it would suffice.

You should also check out the co-wash (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2898) thread, because I found that using just conditioner helps to avoid any sort of leave-in, sometimes a dab of the same conditioner can do the trick too. Bear in mind you'd have to be coneless, or clarify consistently otherwise.

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 08:59 PM
ok so i should wash my hair tonight leave it dry and take a picture and post it?

Yep. No touching! :D

H8mYhair
May 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Liana: too much oil makes my hair feel heavy, WAY too shiny for my own good and real hard to manage. yea my hair very thick and maybe im putting way to much....i try too put as lil as possible next time and see how that goes...

i never heard of creamy? is it like products that gives u the wet look? cos i went around and asked some stylist but they never had anything for me...

yea i check out that thread...i heard somewhere that if u just use conditioner then u hair will get too greasy because ur head produces natural oils and not using shampoo will just add up to that and ur hair gets greasy....

ok im ganna post a pic tonight then =)

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Creamy leave-ins are just regular leave-in conditioners (such as detanglers). I'm foreign so I'm not sure about all your classifications for leave-ins, but it's the most common kind I think. You'd see water first in the ingredients list. They don't give a wet look.

For me, oils look less greasy when used while the hair is damp.

Using conditioner won't make your hair too greasy, it's said to make your sebum adjust to the new routine (which didn't happen to me, my hair needs to be washed everyday, shampoo or conditioner), you just have to put a lof of conditioner on your scalp and massage (I've done it for a year but stopped because my hair didn't grow as much but other than that it was fine and looked clean). It's worth a try, since shampoo can really dry out hair, resulting in less shine.

ETA: I'm off to bed now, it's 00:19 here. :) I'll check your thread in the morning. Good luck!

H8mYhair
May 2nd, 2011, 06:18 AM
ok here you go liana....after shower, didnt even touch it.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2aexvgz.png
http://i52.tinypic.com/2irvyms.jpg

Lianna
May 2nd, 2011, 07:03 AM
Your hair looks like it might be 2c/3a when styled with gel. To look more like the actor I think you'd need to thin it out, moisturize often (conditioners, deep treatments, deep oilings, leave-in light oilings). Co-washing would weigh it down like you want. Maybe someone else have different ideas.

I actually think it looks really good as it is, just a little frizzy, which is normal for wavy hair. Some more conditioning and less shampoo might help with that.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Your hair reminds me of mine when a short cut gets overgrown. It gets wider before it gets longer. I'm 2C and I'd guess that you are, too, if not 3A.

To get the look of the picture you posted, I think the top of your hair needs to be shorter. Also, you can get the piecey look by using a small amount (pea-size or smaller) of styling cream or wax, rubbed between fingers, then run fingers through hair. If you try oil, only use 1-2 drops, no more, applied the same way. Don't use both styling product and oil.

Don't shampoo your hair too often; 2-3 times a week at most.

xcrunr2go
May 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'd like the girls hair !

H8mYhair
May 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Liana: ohk... i will try that...and i did some hot oil treatments...it looks great afterwards but a bit too greassy and shiny, but maybe its cos i didnt shampoo it i just rinsed it out with water?
and OMG at u liking my hair LOL its a total mess.....BTW i checked the ingredients of that indian hair oil and its actually 60% mineral oil....should i stop using it?

spidermom: ok, is tehre waxes that dont damage ur hair that much? cos i used waxes before and it tottaly ruined my hair forcing me to cut it.

xcrunr2go: im a guy tho =/

and is it true its betetr to wash ur hair with cold water rather than hot?

H8mYhair
May 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
spidermom: oh and thats it, the piecy look...i want that, i tried to explain taht i want piecy look but then everyone misunderstood me cos i said i want texture lol

yea the piecy look is what i want.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
I think styling wax is best in giving that piecey look, but use a very small dab at first. Remember, it's easy to apply a little more, hard to take it off (unless you have time to wash and start over).

Lianna
May 2nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Liana: ohk... i will try that...and i did some hot oil treatments...it looks great afterwards but a bit too greassy and shiny, but maybe its cos i didnt shampoo it i just rinsed it out with water?
and OMG at u liking my hair LOL its a total mess.....BTW i checked the ingredients of that indian hair oil and its actually 60% mineral oil....should i stop using it?

and is it true its betetr to wash ur hair with cold water rather than hot?

You might be getting this "too shiny and greasy" look because it's mostly mineral oil, try the "cooking" olive oil, and use lots of conditioner after to wash it out. After, you can do like spidermom said, use a drop or two, rubbed in your palms. I can use mineral oil but not a lot, or I'd get the same look as you. You can use 2 tablespoons of olive oil for the "treatment" that you wash out after.

I don't know much about waxes, so I can't help you with that.

Cold water helps to close the cuticles and can give more shine, but doesn't work for everybody (doesn't for me), lukewarm water seems fair enough, if you don't want to bother, but never too hot! :)

And I do like your hair a lot!! I'm sure I'm not the only one. :cheese:

H8mYhair
May 2nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
no i used cooking extra virgin oil, it looks good but waay to greasy or shiny, i just thought its becuase i rinsed it out instead of shampoo and conditioner?

Lianna
May 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
no i used cooking extra virgin oil, it looks good but waay to greasy or shiny, i just thought its becuase i rinsed it out instead of shampoo and conditioner?

If you rinse it out with just water will be greasy, conditioner cleans it better usually (and won't strip your hair like a sulfate shampoo).

Nev
July 6th, 2011, 09:56 AM
well if you're trying to make your hair look like christian bales, i'd use hair mousse and just style it that way to get a similiar texture. i think oils will just bring out your hair shape and texture. of course its great for your hair, but for this specific look i'd use a hair styling product.
i like pantene's mousse products.
I wouldnt use wax or a gel.

wendy51
July 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'd say wrap your hair (?) like that it won't get too flat neither too full

there is a lot of videos on how to, on youtube =]] , it gets very simple after few tries ^^
Edit: yes and use mousse before =]
Hope it helps!

Capybara
July 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I actually like your hair better than his, in the pictures :) It looks a little less manufactured. Keep in mind he most likely had a team of stylists to make sure his hair was perfect, although I think similar results are definitely attainable. Sorry I don't have any styling advice, good luck though!

tabby28
July 7th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I have to agree with Capybara, I'm pretty certain some effort by stylists goes into CBale's hair!

The piecy look, in my experience, comes from using texturising wax or putty (used on dry hair), rather than gel. It creates that slightly clumped peices appearance that Bales hair has in the shots without looking unnatural or 'styled'. How it affects your hair will depend on how similar your hair is to his though, you might not get exactly the same results as Bale.

My DH says hair 'putty' washes out better than wax, he had no trouble washing it out with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Redken for Men Outplay putty says it ''creates piecey style and chunky separations with a matte finish. Strong flexible hold gives immediate grab and texture while thickening hair's appearance.'' I think that sounds like what you are aiming for?

The one my DH used was Osis 'Mess up' by Schwarzkopf - he reckons its the best one he tried - might be worth a go.

http://www.hairtrader.co.uk/Schwarzkopf-Osis-Mess-Up-100ml/p-399-465-1546/

Here's a good range if you don't fancy the Osis:

http://http://www.hairtrader.co.uk/Putty-and-Clays/c-1-399-465/