PDA

View Full Version : Are ascorbic and citric acid ok to have in a hair treatment?

shikara
May 1st, 2011, 12:54 PM
I want to do a banana and olive oil hair and scalp treatment. In my research I have found that many people have great difficulty rinsing the banana out and have suggested using banana baby food instead, which contains ascorbic and citric acid. I know these are just vitamin c but is there any reason to be concerned about leaving this on the length for 30 minutes?

terpentyna
May 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm sure it depends on the amount of these acids, but in general I would not treat it as benign. Just blend a banana :)

Firefox7275
May 1st, 2011, 02:32 PM
As above, it's probably just a tiny amount to keep the banana from going brown. Plus you will be diluting that even further by mixing with olive oil.

jeanniet
May 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
Go ahead and use it. Take my word for it, baby food banana is much easier to rinse out. If you check labels, many hair treatments also include citric acid or some form of ascorbic acid, often as a preservative. Hair in general likes things a bit on the acid side, and the amount of those ingredients in baby food bananas is pretty negligible.