PDA

View Full Version : Reasons hair is getting thinner?

dancingunicorn
May 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone!
So I used to have very thick hair. I'm not sure if it just appeared thick or it actually was, because it is curly/wavy. I am finding that lately, my hair is verrrry thin compared to how it used to be. (When I say "used to be", I mean from when I was a child to when I was about 13 or 14..I'm 17 now haha). Last year, I got my hair cut into a very layered style, where it was thinned out with a razor. I also thinned it out with a razor many times after that, but the last time was about eight months ago. Could this be why it is so thin? Or would it have grown back by now? Also it seems to shed quite a bit, in the shower or when I comb it. I am guilty of occasionally brushing my hair, which makes it fall out quite a bit. I have no health problems that would lead to thin hair. So does anyone have any ideas about what I might be doing that would make my hair shed? Thanks for the feedback!

terpentyna
May 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
My hair thinned out ages 17-20, but once I tested my thyroid it turned out to be it.

If it's not that, as you mentioned having no health issues, maybe it's diet? iron, b vitamins, protein... make sure you get your nutrients.

You might want to consider your scalp if you haven't already, is it oily/scaly/flaky/dry?

dancingunicorn
May 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hmm, I think I do have low iron, but I've recently started taking a vitamin supplement, so hopefully that will help! Thanks :) (Ps, Im new here. How can you go back to the threads you have posted without actually going through them all and searching? Sorry, silly question!)

krissykins
May 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hmm, I think I do have low iron, but I've recently started taking a vitamin supplement, so hopefully that will help! Thanks :) (Ps, Im new here. How can you go back to the threads you have posted without actually going through them all and searching? Sorry, silly question!)

I like to keep the tab open separately and just refresh every once in awhile to see if anything happened, but other than that, I don't know of another way without looking through the new posts or the forum that your thread is in. :)

shikara
May 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM

Although there is a search function here (see at the top of the page), I often don't find exactly what I'm looking for very easily. Instead I google (for example) long hair community thinning hair and I can more easily see the type of posts I'm looking for.

Firefox7275
May 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM

Your hair needs an array of minerals, vitamins, essential fatty acids, protein and calories. The best source is a balanced diet because the body is evolved to absorb and utilise nutrients in pairs and groups. Obviously if you test anaemic and your doctor prescribes a specific supplement you should take that, but otherwise selective supplementation can do more harm than good. If your hair is thinning and you have symptoms that lead you to believe you may be low in iron this needs diagnosing and addressing.

If you click on 'thread tools' just above the first post you can subscribe to the thread, so find it again through 'quick links' which is near to the top of the page. Also if you go to someone's profile and click 'statistics' there is an option to search for all the threads they started or all their posts. :)

|Xei
May 1st, 2011, 02:50 PM
Since you say you've had your hair thinned out with a razor many times, it could just be that you haven't grow out all of that razor-thinned hair yet. My last extremely layered/thinned out haircut was almost two years ago, but I'm still dealing with some thinness from back then.

santie
May 1st, 2011, 03:02 PM
If there have been no changes to your diet, health, lifestyle, or hair care routine, I would say that your perceived thinning is probably due to your layered and thinned out hair cut. I, too, have curly and thick hair, and when I had it layered and thinned out (a haircut that I maintained for years), it felt stringy and and thin. I'm currently in the process of growing out my layers, and I can definitely feel a difference in the thickness of my hair.

Mesmerise
May 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Well it's sort of hard to say the reason for your thinning hair - whether it's the layering and the razor cutting, or whether you're losing more hair than normal, or if it's a combination of the two!

I think the best idea is to base it on the circumference of your ponytail, and just keep track of how it changes over time, as well as get some idea of your daily shedding rate. For me it's very obvious when I have excessive shedding because I lose sooooo many hairs in the shower and when brushing my hair that it's insane!

I'm not sure how much my hair has thinned because I never had "before" circumference measurements, but now at least I have a baseline so I can see if my hair is thickening up again over time (I had a ton of shedding last year that I'm still recovering from, even though it's been months since the shedding stopped).

terpentyna
May 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM

Good choice on taking the vitamin then :)

I'm not that advanced myself. If I want to see if someone posted I just try and find the thread again.