PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Soaks

carloota
March 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Sometimes I like to wash my hair during a bath, and not a shower. Especially now that my shower's broken. hahaha I find this method to be very relaxing.

auntdaisy
March 13th, 2008, 12:20 AM
me too! I think it is relaxing because it reminds me of being a kid and getting my hair washed by my mom. Not sure, but that's just my guess. I feel like a mermaid too when I wash my hair in the bath.

Deborah
March 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Me too! Sometimes I use the shower, but I really enjoy washing my hair in a nice hot bath. Nothing is more soothing. :flower: I also like that I don't feel hurried like I might in the shower with the water running and running. I can soak and float as much as I like, and can slowly massage my scalp quite well. I love how it feels to have my hair floating free and weightless.

ChloeDharma
March 13th, 2008, 01:39 AM
The Mermaid Hair Soak was a great find which initially was just to dissolve honey buildup i had from an experiment that didn't quite work out. But i noticed it seemed to increase the moisture in my hair. In playing around with it i found the best way was to add a can of coconut milk, honey (obviously not the first time i did it) oil (i used avocado) Ylang Ylang EO (but others are good too) and ACV.

One thing i will say was that part of it was not having anything soapy in the water as i was concerned that leaving hair for a long time in soapy water would be counter productive to the intention of the soaking. I then would do any additional treatment (usually conditioner mixed with whatever.....yogurt, honey etc) after the soaking.

I should also add that done with those ingredients it gives me amazingly soft skin all over!

Silly but true.....i came up with the name because when i was doing it it made me think of when i was a kid and for ages i was convinced that if i put sea salt in the bath and sat in it long enough i'd turn into a mermaid.....obviously all i ever got was wrinkles from it! lol

AntiHairSlave
March 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Do you "wash" you hair in the tub or is it strictly just a soak (in that case your hair is already clean)?

squiggyflop
March 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM
i always mermaid soak.. always..

ChloeDharma
March 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Do you "wash" you hair in the tub or is it strictly just a soak (in that case your hair is already clean)?

How i did it was i'd soak my hair first then do some kind of CO based wash.

carloota
March 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
me too! I think it is relaxing because it reminds me of being a kid and getting my hair washed by my mom. Not sure, but that's just my guess. I feel like a mermaid too when I wash my hair in the bath.

Well as it states in the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey, curly girls are mermaids that have had to adapt to living on land. I don't think I've adapted that well, though. heehee

Elle
March 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I do too. :smile: In fact, I always wash my hair when taking a bath. The only time I don't is occasionally during the summer if I choose to take a shower instead. I've found that my hair does a lot better when I allow it to soak in the bath.

You're right. A bath is so very relaxing. :smile:

jojo
March 14th, 2008, 11:44 PM
an old tight/pantyhose ( i think that's the US term) filled with oat meal and tied onto the tap, allow water to run through it, great for softening hair and skin, also good for those of us who get eczema and psoriasis, then just soak its really relaxing, i too prefer to have a bath.

Carina
March 15th, 2008, 01:38 AM
This reminds me so much of my childhood.I don't have a tub now but maybe I could ask my next door neighbour if I can take a soak in her tub:rolleyes::confused:.I just loved to see my hair float in the tub.:o(silly I know).

MadPirateBippy
March 15th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I have a horrible half roman tub. It is not any good for taking a bath in. :(

I have been craving a milk and asprin bath for weeks. This isn't helping!!!

Elleyena
March 21st, 2008, 04:03 PM
hmm...I'm tempted to go do a mermaid soak now. I only have a couple more days before I go back to the dorm and have to use only a shower. :sad

Carina
March 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Take the chance to have a mermaid soak,Elleyena.I promise that you will like it.Just do it.Oh,how I wish I had a tub*dreaming*.

kimki
March 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Aww...sniff sniff...I wish I had a tub. :(

wintersun99
March 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM

Curlsgirl
March 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
I love mermaid soaks too! I almost always do this instead of a shower except when I am in a hotel without a bathtub or without a drain stopper tha works in the bathtub! :(

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM
ha ha ha ha - this is such a better idea than I had when I simply dumped a cup or two of oatmeal into the tub and then filled it with water - gah, what a mess to clean up!

omg! thats hilarious, im glad it wasn't me that had to clean it out!

khyricat
March 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
it's the primary way I wash hair.. as soon as I get in the tub, soak, wash, soak again to rinse, then wash body, pour hibiscus/elderflower tea over hair, wipe excess off body and get out...

I even washed that way this AM before hennaing and I ALWAYS remove henna that way, mermaid soak, then use the handheld shower on massage to get anything remaining..

Amalthea
March 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
I recently started doing mermaid soaks in between wash days and I love it! My hair loves it as well...it is ultra-soft, and the static I was experiencing after months of winter weather seems to be completely gone.

alys
March 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Can someone tell me exactly how this is done? I remember it from the old boards but never tried. I'm confused about the washing part-
So fill the bath with water, get in. dunk head, wash with shampoo. dunk head to rinse shampoo and allow the now dirty shampoo water to stay in the tub as I add my coconut milk and other things? Then soak my hair in the tub water which now contains dirty, sudsy shampoo, coconut milk and honey and such????
I know this has got to work since everyone raves, BUT - the sequence above is kind of gross to me, sitting in the shampoo water and all.
Have I got it wrong?

HairColoredHair
March 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
My hair comes out of a bath all tangly. :( Every time.

missy60
March 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Can someone tell me exactly how this is done? I remember it from the old boards but never tried. I'm confused about the washing part-
So fill the bath with water, get in. dunk head, wash with shampoo. dunk head to rinse shampoo and allow the now dirty shampoo water to stay in the tub as I add my coconut milk and other things? Then soak my hair in the tub water which now contains dirty, sudsy shampoo, coconut milk and honey and such????
I know this has got to work since everyone raves, BUT - the sequence above is kind of gross to me, sitting in the shampoo water and all.
Have I got it wrong?

I wonder about this also I have never tried it either, but not so much that I think the shampoo is dirty it really wouldnt be any different then sitting in water you have washed your body with. I just wonder about rinsing I guess you would have to rinse you hair out with a hand held sprayer or rinse under the faucet. What does worry me is adding honey and stuff would that be good for your sensitive parts. I know some ingredients cause problems and I was thinking honey was one of them but not sure.

Priska
April 10th, 2024, 01:07 AM
The Mermaid Hair Soak was a great find which initially was just to dissolve honey buildup i had from an experiment that didn't quite work out. But i noticed it seemed to increase the moisture in my hair. In playing around with it i found the best way was to add a can of coconut milk, honey (obviously not the first time i did it) oil (i used avocado) Ylang Ylang EO (but others are good too) and ACV.

One thing i will say was that part of it was not having anything soapy in the water as i was concerned that leaving hair for a long time in soapy water would be counter productive to the intention of the soaking. I then would do any additional treatment (usually conditioner mixed with whatever.....yogurt, honey etc) after the soaking.

I should also add that done with those ingredients it gives me amazingly soft skin all over!

Interesting! I wish I had a tub... must try this when I get a chance! Sometimes my hair has been very good after swimming in a swimming pool, I wonder if this long time soaking has made it...

ReiHino
April 24th, 2024, 03:52 PM
I even washed that way this AM before hennaing and I ALWAYS remove henna that way, mermaid soak, then use the handheld shower on massage to get anything remaining..
It would take forever (or feels like it) if I didnīt fill a container with the water I rinse my hair and I didnīt massage my hair and head in it. It totally saves time and I use less shampoo/conditioner.

I wonder about this also I have never tried it either, but not so much that I think the shampoo is dirty it really wouldnt be any different then sitting in water you have washed your body with. I just wonder about rinsing I guess you would have to rinse you hair out with a hand held sprayer or rinse under the faucet. What does worry me is adding honey and stuff would that be good for your sensitive parts. I know some ingredients cause problems and I was thinking honey was one of them but not sure.
I exit the tub and rinse using the hand held sprayer. I can also use cold water this way so I donīt actually feel cold that much.