PDA

View Full Version : does pregnancy change type of hair?

mizsunshyne
May 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
I have two kids and I noticed after I had my first, my hair got darker. I read that it sometimes happens.
But now after having my second, my super straight hair is now wavy.

I don't know if it's because it changed during pregnancy or if it's because of the way my hair is horribly layered, but I was just curious if anyone knew if pregnancy was a possible reason?

Kristamommyx3
May 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Yes! I know many women who've had a baby or two ( or more) and now have very different hair. I used to have thicker hair before my three boys were born. My sister had two children, and had little change, and then had twins and her hair went from very wavy to straight, and sh's really freaked out.

Lilli
May 1st, 2011, 09:12 AM
Yes. I have 4 kids. Mine darkened and became wavy in some spots. I miss the old light blonde, stick-straight hair.

bunzfan
May 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
Yes i noticed a difference after my second child my hair was much thicker and wavier than before.

jojo
May 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
my hair was a lot shorter in both my pregnacys but in both it went incredibly curls, more so than usual when I have short hair

virgo75
May 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
I have 2 children and after each my hair has become increasingly curly and fine.
It hasn't changed back at all.

Celtic Morla
May 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
AFter 3 kids my hair was a LOT darker and then it began to thin at the temples. Since finding LHC and CO that har has begun to grow in after 17 years! I am going to try honey lightening next!

elbow chic
May 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Mine did not change at all through 4 pregnancies, except for those temporary outrageously thick heads of pregnancy hair and the ensuing postpartum sheds. (which I was usually too busy to notice; it'd just be like one day, I'd wake up and realize that my hair was semi-manageable again.)

But basically, I really think my hair is the same as it was when I was seventeen. Would that I could say the same for my breasts. :D

ETA: but I do believe pregnancy can do aaaaalll kinds of weird stuff to a person.

Though sometimes I wonder if the changes people attribute to pregnancy aren't at least partly attributable to lifestyle changes. You know, before you have kids, you have lots of time to spend outside in the sunshine, more money to spend on your hair, and more TIME to fuss over it. Suddenly a 24-hour pooping/screaming machine arrives and your hair and outdoor recreations are the first things to go!

My mom always blames pregnancy for turning her golden shade into "dirty blond" but to me the difference between her wedding photo and her hair NOW (aside from the greys) is nothing that a nice long summer vacation on the lake wouldn't restore.

Growin' It
May 1st, 2011, 11:24 PM
If you think about the levels of various hormones involved in pregnancy, it's amazing that anything in the body stays the same - during or after!

That said, I didn't notice any difference during or after DD.

Finoriel
May 2nd, 2011, 01:23 AM
Hormonal changes can influence the color and structure of ones hair.
That's why many people notice differences in their hair as kids vs. teenagers or after menopause for example.
A pregnancy is also huge hormone roller-coaster, so changes in hair are very likely :agree:

leslissocool
May 2nd, 2011, 01:43 AM
My hair didn't change and I had different sex twins.... But I wouldn't doubt that it does happen! I am half a size bigger in shoe size and I believe one inch taller after giving birth, and that's freaky!

Mesmerise
May 2nd, 2011, 01:47 AM
My hair didn't change and I had different sex twins.... But I wouldn't doubt that it does happen! I am half a size bigger in shoe size and I believe one inch taller after giving birth, and that's freaky!

Awww man... I couldn't *I* have grown an inch taller after giving birth!!! I don't need bigger feet, but I need all the inches of height I can get!

sharicat
May 2nd, 2011, 02:16 AM
My hair was thicker and darker after my first. After my second it is more wavy and driving me mad! :p

blackcatw81
May 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Now you're really scaring me! :couch:

I hope to gain some cms in height :laugh: but no increase in shoe-size or I'll be forced to re-stock my "collection" ^^;;;;

leslissocool
May 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Awww man... I couldn't *I* have grown an inch taller after giving birth!!! I don't need bigger feet, but I need all the inches of height I can get!

I was 5'2 and a half, and now I am so close to 5'3 it's enraging! :o I totally understand you, I also need all the help I can get! When I went to the doctor and he told me I was taller, I literally did a happy dance!

Now you're really scaring me! :couch:

I hope to gain some cms in height :laugh: but no increase in shoe-size or I'll be forced to re-stock my "collection" ^^;;;;

Oh God that was the worse! I went shoe shopping right before I got pregnant and found killer deals on Steve maddens peep toe booties and all these designer amazing shoes and after birth I got out the shoes and they didn't fit :wail: I am so thankful that my husband works on shoe repairs, he was able to stretch and make some of them fit....

On the up side, I was a 6 1/2 shoe size and I went to a full 7 and I have an easier time finding shoes that fit now :cheese:.

Lilli
May 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
My feet only went up 1/2 size, but I have had to buy all new shoes. My mom's went up 2 sizes.

Eden75
May 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
When I had my first my hair grew from BSL to hip and went from wavy to straight. When I had my second, it grew from APL to hip and went from straight to curly. It's been almost 9 years and I am still learning how to deal with the curls. :)

Caitpenn
March 24th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Crazy... I had no idea that pregnancy can change your hair like that. I hope my hair stays straight when the time comes.

Ceridwen Iris
March 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I got ringlet curlies around my neckline. I think I may have got a bit curlier overall but I've only just realised I'm wavy so couldn't say for sure.

SomethingCooler
March 25th, 2012, 02:54 AM
I can't speak from experience (yet) but after my mom had my younger sister, which was her third pregnancy, her hair changed. Her hair had been thick and straight, with maybe a slight wave to it, (I'm not exactly sure, b/c all I have to go on was her senior picture from high school; she permed it a lot later and I was only 4 when she got pregnant with my sister) but afterwards it was massively curly and voluminous, which is how it's been for as long as I can remember.

HairStickler
March 25th, 2012, 07:43 AM
My hair became curlier and my feet grew half a size after one pregnancy. I had to retire a huge shoe collection and start fresh.

GRU
March 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I used to have bangs (fringe), and during the 17 months I was breastfeeding my son, my bangs did not curl. My length was as curly as ever, but the bangs -- nada.

I had been going to the same hairdresser since 1992 (DS was born in 2000), so it had nothing to do with the way they were cut, as that hadn't changed at all. As soon as he self-weaned, they started curling again.

The female body is sooooooo mysterious!

malwes
March 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I used to have bangs (fringe), and during the 17 months I was breastfeeding my son, my bangs did not curl. My length was as curly as ever, but the bangs -- nada.

I had been going to the same hairdresser since 1992 (DS was born in 2000), so it had nothing to do with the way they were cut, as that hadn't changed at all. As soon as he self-weaned, they started curling again.

The female body is sooooooo mysterious!

Wow, it must have been really nice :applause....
Mine became more-managable each time (i.e. twice) :D