PDA

View Full Version : Matte fluffy hair: what should I do?

Audrey Horne
April 30th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hello,
I'm very new to this forum and long hair. I was 9 years old the last time I had long hair, so I can't even remember how it is like... :-(
I've been reading LHC all this time and I'm sorry if such thread already exists.
Thanks to LHC I am not so clueless anymore when it comes to hair routine. However, I still try to find what's the best one for me. I don't use cones or sulfates anymore. And thanks God, I shed much less. Basically I have shampoo, conditioner and coconut oil... That's it. I'm on a very tight budget at the moment :-(

My problem is that my hair is terribly fluffy and matte after washing. It used to be the same after cone-shampoo too. Only cone conditioner gave me some shine but I don't want to use it anymore...
I hate the fluffy look and matte effect :'( Your hair is so gorgeous, LHCers! And I really hope you can help me with it...

I am F or M (no idea really), ii. My hair is mostly wavy but it doesn't appear that way when I brush it... It look straightish, however the individual hair is wavy. After some treatments like washing hair with eggs my hair is very wavy all over (I don't do it anymore, just tried it a few times). I am on the way to APL.

I'm looking forward to your answers!

Xoxox

caiti42
April 30th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I used to have the same kind of hair as you mentioned. I switched from commercial shampoo and conditioner to salon stuff. The shampoo I use has sulfates (laureth) but a cone free conditioner. Making the switch changed my hair life completely!

You mentioned being on a strict budget- check out websites like Strawberry.net. They have free postage all over the world and you can get some awesome specials and packs from them. I pay $20AU for a shampoo compared to like $6 from a supermarket, but it lasts me about 6 months compared to 2 or 3!

I honestly say that making this switch has changed my life! My fluffy, frizzy hair is now smooth and sleek with a nice wave even after air drying!

Another product I sware by is Chi Silk Infusion. I've even ordered some and had it sent to friends as a gift! Its a sirum so you only use a tiny tiny amount and it helps to make hair smooth and soft as well!

Hopefully this might help! It's definately what's worked for me!

Audrey Horne
April 30th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Thank you for reply, Caiti!
I use sulfates not more than once a month to clarify (worked well so far). I have scalp issues, so I simply can't use sulfates...
I don't use a commercial shampoo anymore (I'm currently on bio natural products), however I have years of that painful experience. I suspect it's my new cheap conditioner that made me fluffy as hell. I've got to invest in something... I will check your products out! Thank you for advice so much!

I forgot to specify that I live in Europe, in Austria to be exact.

Juneii
April 30th, 2011, 11:47 PM
have you tried conditioner only? shampoos can be a bit too much and may strip away all the oils from your scalp

Sundial
April 30th, 2011, 11:54 PM
For fluffiness I think you can try an apple cider vinegar rinse (be sure to dilute it!). The acidic rinse supposedly helps hair cuticles lie flatter and makes hair less fluffy

caiti42
April 30th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Thank you for reply, Caiti!
I use sulfates not more than once a month to clarify (worked well so far). I have scalp issues, so I simply can't use sulfates...
I don't use a commercial shampoo anymore (I'm currently on bio natural products), however I have years of that painful experience. I suspect it's my new cheap conditioner that made me fluffy as hell. I've got to invest in something... I will check your products out! Thank you for advice so much!

I forgot to specify that I live in Europe, in Austria to be exact.

No worries! I forgot to add when I condition now I leave it on for a good 3-5 minutes and comb it through with a wide comb. And only apply it from the ears down. I think that helps to de-fluff as well!

I believe Strawberry.net ships to Europe. Being way down in Australia I hear loads of people mention products and that's the only place I can get a hold of them! There is a range called ABBA which I believe is Eco-friendly but also salon quality. :)

caiti42
April 30th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Ooh and rinse with cold water! That helps cuticles lie flat as well.

aurorabridge
May 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM
My hair is a lot like yours, Audrey Horne. Overall my hair looks mostly straight but the individual hairs are wavy. I tame mine with extra virgin olive oil. I use just a little bit while it is wet after a wash and my hair is shinier and the waves are well defined.

julliams
May 1st, 2011, 12:08 AM
If Coconut oil works well for you, you can put some into your shampoo. This will help to keep your hair nice and moisturised when shampooing.

Do you have Aldi there? Aldi in Australia make a wonderful cheap conditioner that is cone free (1L for $2.50) and I use it when doing my SMT's (Snowy Moisture Treatment). It is 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey and 1 part aloe vera (without alcohol). You mix this all up, heat it in the microwave (if you do not want the honey lightening effect) and then use it like a treatment conditioner. I leave mine in for an hour or so and then wash out. It's a great treatment that works for a strict budget. You may fine that half of this mixture will be enough for your hair at first.

The fluffiness you may be experiencing could be from brushing your wavy hair. I too have wavy hair and I have only found it sitting nicely now that I have more length. With wavy hair, there is an S pattern to the curl, but it is longer and stretched out so you need length to have the pattern fall nicely. I have always disliked my hair between shoulder and BSL because it sits as you describe - fluffy-like.

Try this - wash with a little coconut oil in your shampoo, condition (or SMT) and when you get out of the shower, gently squeeze your hair in a towel so that most of the drips are sopped up. Then use the same towel (or a drier one) to scrunch your waves from the bottom, up to the nape of your neck - hold for a few seconds and release. Then try to keep your hands out of your hair and let it airdry. It won't look it's best until it is almost totally dry. This is how I do it.

The good news is that you don't need alot of money to keep your hair looking nice - some of the best products I have ever bought are actually cheap ones. Hope I have been of some help.

For reference, this is how it was when I first joined LHC in September 2009 - APL, matte and fluffy (like you describe), then in December 2009 when I'd started using a treatment twice a week, and now with some length. The last photo just looks shiner because of the flash. Take pictures of you hair with a flash and I'm sure you will see some shine there too.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5014026081_b6cb54b25f.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/4663202460_319c9869ab.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5099/5583678067_438684c59b.jpg

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 12:16 AM
Thank you, everyone, for replies, it makes me feel like it isn't hopeless :-)

CO: I tried for a week, which probably isn't enough for testing, but I couldn't handle it. My scalp can't. My hair became greasy the second day and my scalp was full of (hardened?!) sebum O.o I've never had anything like it before. Then I CO again, it became worse. I usually left it for 15-40min. So I came back to where I was before: shampoo on the roots, conditioner from ears down. Rinse, condition again (I leave it for some min then). When damp or almost dry - coconut oil (from ears down).
I wash with cool water and use AVR from time to time but to be honest, I can't see a huge difference (only for scalp). The fluff is still there...

I will take a better look at strawberrynet but when I have to choose a country mine isn't there. Maybe I'm still sleepy :-)

GourmetChica
May 1st, 2011, 12:24 AM
I used to have issues like that and what fixed it were regular protein treatments. It's a touchy subject around here and elsewhere, because too much protein can cause damage too. Basically from what I have researched there are intense and lighter protein treatments, and you could try a lighter one to see if your hair responds. I like Joico's protein treatment for this. This can be done every two weeks. Apoghee makes an amazing deep heavy treatment (the two step), which is only to be used every 6 weeks or so. It has made my hair stronger and so much healthier after just one use.

I would try the Joico to see how your hair responds, and then proceed from there. There are also tests posted here that can help you find out if your hair needs moisture or protein, try searching "moisture" and "protein". It is basically a snap test that is very primitive but actually can tell you what your hair needs. I wish I had the link, I would post it!

Best wishes.

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM
My hair is a lot like yours, Audrey Horne. Overall my hair looks mostly straight but the individual hairs are wavy. I tame mine with extra virgin olive oil. I use just a little bit while it is wet after a wash and my hair is shinier and the waves are well defined.

How much do you think I should use for my length? A drop or so? I always overuse and end up looking like a grease ball :-D

aurorabridge
May 1st, 2011, 12:50 AM
I use three drops per side of my hair, if that makes sense. I start by parting my hair in the middle. I put the oil on my palm and rub my hands together so it spreads evenly and then smooth my hands down the inside and outside of my hair. Then I do the same on the other side. I use a lot for my hair's length but it really likes oil. Maybe try one drop on either side to test it? Hopefully this will help you out. Oh, our crazy, fluffy hair!

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 12:52 AM
If Coconut oil works well for you, you can put some into your shampoo. This will help to keep your hair nice and moisturised when shampooing.

Do you have Aldi there? Aldi in Australia make a wonderful cheap conditioner that is cone free (1L for $2.50) and I use it when doing my SMT's (Snowy Moisture Treatment). It is 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey and 1 part aloe vera (without alcohol). You mix this all up, heat it in the microwave (if you do not want the honey lightening effect) and then use it like a treatment conditioner. I leave mine in for an hour or so and then wash out. It's a great treatment that works for a strict budget. You may fine that half of this mixture will be enough for your hair at first.

The fluffiness you may be experiencing could be from brushing your wavy hair. I too have wavy hair and I have only found it sitting nicely now that I have more length. With wavy hair, there is an S pattern to the curl, but it is longer and stretched out so you need length to have the pattern fall nicely. I have always disliked my hair between shoulder and BSL because it sits as you describe - fluffy-like.

Try this - wash with a little coconut oil in your shampoo, condition (or SMT) and when you get out of the shower, gently squeeze your hair in a towel so that most of the drips are sopped up. Then use the same towel (or a drier one) to scrunch your waves from the bottom, up to the nape of your neck - hold for a few seconds and release. Then try to keep your hands out of your hair and let it airdry. It won't look it's best until it is almost totally dry. This is how I do it.

The good news is that you don't need alot of money to keep your hair looking nice - some of the best products I have ever bought are actually cheap ones. Hope I have been of some help.

For reference, this is how it was when I first joined LHC in September 2009 - APL, matte and fluffy (like you describe), then in December 2009 when I'd started using a treatment twice a week, and now with some length. The last photo just looks shiner because of the flash. Take pictures of you hair with a flash and I'm sure you will see some shine there too.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5014026081_b6cb54b25f.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/4663202460_319c9869ab.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5099/5583678067_438684c59b.jpg

I will try this out, thank you so much! Your hair looks absolutely amazing! Mine doesn't have those waves :-( I will post pics as soon as I have some. Mine looks more like yours on the 3d pic (only if completely untouched) IF awesome locks were not there. So simply stretched the hell out. I agree that brushing hair makes it look like a fluffball. I brush because it tangles :-( I don't know if I will develop better waves or locks as my hair hits BSL (I hope so!). I found out I was almost curly as a kid but hair changes...

We have something similar to Aldi, I believe it's the same chain. I got my sulfate cone-free shampoo there :-) I find something there too. I used to be kind of embarrassed before I saw a woman in a fancy outfit buying shampoo as well haha

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 12:59 AM
I used to have issues like that and what fixed it were regular protein treatments. It's a touchy subject around here and elsewhere, because too much protein can cause damage too. Basically from what I have researched there are intense and lighter protein treatments, and you could try a lighter one to see if your hair responds. I like Joico's protein treatment for this. This can be done every two weeks. Apoghee makes an amazing deep heavy treatment (the two step), which is only to be used every 6 weeks or so. It has made my hair stronger and so much healthier after just one use.

I would try the Joico to see how your hair responds, and then proceed from there. There are also tests posted here that can help you find out if your hair needs moisture or protein, try searching "moisture" and "protein". It is basically a snap test that is very primitive but actually can tell you what your hair needs. I wish I had the link, I would post it!

Best wishes.

If my hair hates eggs, for example, does it mean it will hate protein treatments as well? Eggs are proteins after all.
I have fly-aways so I guess I lack moisture.
I believe I can't search for anything yet... I need 25 posts(?) But of course I will do it when I'm able to.

shawty
May 1st, 2011, 01:00 AM
If you dilute your shampoo with water, it will not only be gentler on your hair, but it will last longer, giving you more for your dollar. =)
And it should still clean just as effectively, so if you want to experiment with stretching washes you can do that also. It will provide the same two benefits.

shawty
May 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM
OH and you can search! Just enter your search term into Google followed by site:longhaircommunity.com and Google will search LHC for you!

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 01:07 AM
I do it mostly this way :-) I found it to be gentler too.

|Xei
May 1st, 2011, 02:09 AM
How long have you not been using cones anymore? If it's pretty recent, then perhaps that fluffiness is from previous damage that you might have had, but the cones you were using were hiding the damage. Don't worry though, if that might be the case. It could take awhile, but if you treat the damage properly, it's absolutely possible to improve the condition of your hair.

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 03:55 AM
How long have you not been using cones anymore? If it's pretty recent, then perhaps that fluffiness is from previous damage that you might have had, but the cones you were using were hiding the damage. Don't worry though, if that might be the case. It could take awhile, but if you treat the damage properly, it's absolutely possible to improve the condition of your hair.

A month, I guess. I don't dye for a year now. I didn't blowdry or style my hair (maybe 1-2 times last year). I know damage is there, especially because of that hair dye. It's a bit hard to imagine that I may have sooo much damage from cones alone... :-( And I'm afraid I'm fluffy all my life, sometimes more, sometimes less (when it gets greasy). I'd be happy to get rid of it if it's possible. My hair looks its best when totally untouched (not combed) but then it's tangled, so I don't know... :-/

|Xei
May 1st, 2011, 04:12 AM
A month, I guess. I don't dye for a year now. I didn't blowdry or style my hair (maybe 1-2 times last year). I know damage is there, especially because of that hair dye. It's a bit hard to imagine that I may have sooo much damage from cones alone... :-( And I'm afraid I'm fluffy all my life, sometimes more, sometimes less (when it gets greasy). I'd be happy to get rid of it if it's possible. My hair looks its best when totally untouched (not combed) but then it's tangled, so I don't know... :-/

Cones don't really damage your hair (it seems to do so for some people though), but rather, they seal up and mask the damage you have on your hair. So after going cone-less, you'll see all of the damage that the cones have been hiding.

I used to have fairly fluffy/frizzy hair, and going sulfate and cone-less actually helped me get rid of that. But if I remember correctly, it took me at least 3 months, if not longer, to get it less fluffy/frizzy. I had heat damage though, so it might be different for you.

I'd recommend for you to try doing moisturizing treatments more often (at least once a week), and see if that helps with the fluffiness. A favourite of mine, and many members of this board is the SMT (just do a search, there's an entire thread on it). Many people tend to get really puffy hair with the original recipe, so what I personally like to do is add a few drops of oil into the mix, and voila, smooth and shiny hair.

But of course, as with any product/recipe/what have you, what might work for one might not work for another, so always try to experiment with different treatments, and see which one works best for you.

Firefox7275
May 1st, 2011, 04:34 AM
Welcome! :) This thread on Naturallycurly (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html) inspired me to stop treating my fluffy/ poofy (=wavy/ wurly) hair as if it were straight.

If your hair is like mine brushing will just pull the waves straighter and turns curls into frizz. Do you have a wide tooth comb? And a microfibre towel or old long sleeved t-shirt you can sacrifice? My fluff turned into curls virtually overnight when I changed how I handled it - brushing, turbanning and making it too dry with the towel were causing far more problems than damage! Try detangling with your fingers before washing, then again with a comb when you have conditioner still on. Then just use a comb to tidy whilst your hair is fairly wet. Scrunch the drips out of your hair with a t-shirt then air dry with no touching.

I'm not sure what you are using for products, a sulphate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner? If you have no cones why do you need to use a sulphate shampoo for clarifying? :confused: Does your regular shampoo leave your hair squeaky clean or moisturised? Is your conditioner wash out and is it light? Do you use a leave-in conditioner?

Also what is the problem with your scalp? If you are getting dandruff you have need a anti-fungal shampoo, if it's greasy your hair may just need time to adjust to a new routine or you may need a different product. If it's sensitive then I wouldn't leave any product touching your scalp for 15-40 mins, you may need a product with fewer ingredients. Like you I cannot apply enough to separate and define curls without looking like a greaseball. I scrunch in leave-in conditioner for that (actually just an ordinary conditioner but not washed out). One benefit is that you actually waste less than if you washed out so it's cheaper. :cool:

pelicano
May 1st, 2011, 04:49 AM
I love your username!! :)

I have hair like yours. The best thing I have found is to use oil on dripping wet hair (rather than the way you are using it now), to seal in moisture. If your hair likes coconut oil, you could try with the oil you have. My hair prefers argan or camella oils, but they are quite expensive.

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 05:08 AM
Xei, thank you! I know that thread and will try it out next time I wash my hair :-) wish me good luck! :-D

Firefox, you've just officially shocked me with that curly thread! ;-) I treated my hair all my life as if it were straight :-o and it looked straight to me (when brushed). I just washed my hair (WO) and let it dry without touching it. Waves are forming :-o So is it mystery solved?! Am I just really wavy/wurly?! I will take pics and show you because I can't believe this! Everyone always brushed my fluff... My mom and hairdressers. Maybe I was fooled into thinking I'm straightish haired? Is it even possible :-S

Yes, I don't use anything cone at all but once a month I used a harsher shampoo with sulfate (it's a German spelling, I don't know if it's correct) just to be sure nothing's there anymore from my cone-era. I won't use it as often in future. Yes, my cone-free shampoo gives me a nice clean feeling (I use Logona Gingko repair). I have very simple conditioner ('wash out'), one of those cheapies. I wanna get a new one maybe tomorrow. Leave in treatment would be nice but it depends on the budget.

I hope I didn't forget to answer anything.

Thank you again!

Firefox7275
May 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
Firefox, you've just officially shocked me with that curly thread! ;-) I treated my hair all my life as if it were straight :-o and it looked straight to me (when brushed). I just washed my hair (WO) and let it dry without touching it. Waves are forming :-o So is it mystery solved?! Am I just really wavy/wurly?! I will take pics and show you because I can't believe this! Everyone always brushed my fluff... My mom and hairdressers. Maybe I was fooled into thinking I'm straightish haired? Is it even possible :-S

Yes, I don't use anything cone at all but once a month I used a harsher shampoo with sulfate (it's a German spelling, I don't know if it's correct) just to be sure nothing's there anymore from my cone-era. I won't use it as often in future. Yes, my cone-free shampoo gives me a nice clean feeling (I use Logona Gingko repair). I have very simple conditioner ('wash out'), one of those cheapies. I wanna get a new one maybe tomorrow. Leave in treatment would be nice but it depends on the budget.

:D That thread blew my mind too, some of the before photographs look so much like my hair did (and still does sometimes as I am new to Curly Girl). There are so many of us on LHC who spent years treating our hair as if it were straight. I found I got more curl the more often I washed without brushing or towelling dry.

Maybe your shampoo is making your scalp too dry, so it produced too much oil? I was shocked when I first washed my hair with conditioner (Inecto Coconut) and it was still clean. It is still getting greasy too quickly, but I guess my poor head is in shock! :p Loads of us on LHC use cheap products and many of us are using our wash-out conditioner as if it was a leave-in, so you may not have to buy another product. :cool:

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 06:03 AM
I love your username!! :)

I have hair like yours. The best thing I have found is to use oil on dripping wet hair (rather than the way you are using it now), to seal in moisture. If your hair likes coconut oil, you could try with the oil you have. My hair prefers argan or camella oils, but they are quite expensive.

Thank you :-D
I tried oil on the wet hair once. It was hard to understand how much to use :-/ hah so I was greasy again. I always do something wrong :-)

Pierre
May 1st, 2011, 06:06 AM
If your hair gets caked with hardened sebum, as mine sometimes does at the back of the head, you may benefit from jojoba. There is a shortage of jojoba, so get a small bottle (around 100 ml, or less if they have it). I bought a liter, it's going to last me at least four years, so I keep it in the fridge except when I have to refill the small bottle in the bathroom.

Audrey Horne
May 1st, 2011, 06:15 AM
:D That thread blew my mind too, some of the before photographs look so much like my hair did (and still does sometimes as I am new to Curly Girl). There are so many of us on LHC who spent years treating our hair as if it were straight. I found I got more curl the more often I washed without brushing or towelling dry.

Maybe your shampoo is making your scalp too dry, so it produced too much oil? I was shocked when I first washed my hair with conditioner (Inecto Coconut) and it was still clean. It is still getting greasy too quickly, but I guess my poor head is in shock! :p Loads of us on LHC use cheap products and many of us are using our wash-out conditioner as if it was a leave-in, so you may not have to buy another product. :cool:

My hair is dry now: no ringlets, of course, but it isn't straight either :-o very streched out, still sort of fluffy but a bit better. I guess I have to accept my Medusa look :-D

This shampoo really fits my scalp, I don't flake. However, any experiment may end up bad. I'm very sensitive and I battle eczema not just on my head but on my face as well :-( It's a pain in the...

pelicano
May 1st, 2011, 07:17 AM
Thank you :-D
I tried oil on the wet hair once. It was hard to understand how much to use :-/ hah so I was greasy again. I always do something wrong :-)

Oh yes, you only need a tiny amount. When I use argan oil, I use about 3 drops spread over my hands and then down to the ends of my hair (avoiding the first 3 inches or so of hair from the scalp). For solid coconut oil, that's a tiny amount too.

Biedronka
May 1st, 2011, 07:34 AM
I have a question...does the fluffy poofiness of your hair last only for a day or two after shampooing,or is it a permanent state?My hair is always a fluffy mess after it has dried from washing...all i do is apply a teensy bit of coconut oil or some leave-in conditioner and put my hair in a bun or braid,the next day i take it down and it looks nice and shiny.Washing always slightly messes up with your hair texture for the day..however if your hair is fluffy and dry and matte all the time,i guess it needs some heavy conditioning?maybe you do a heavy oil treatment before washing,and mix some coconut oil in your shampoo and/or conditioner.I find it't the best oil to work with:)

spidermom
May 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM
I like a pre-wash treatment with coconut oil. Then I comb and brush and hop into the shower. I apply conditioner to my length, wash my scalp area with diluted shampoo, rinse, then condition again, rinse, and that's it. I don't comb it again until it's dry, and I'm ready to put it up or braid it.

I also like CHI Silk Infusion (coney). I use it about once per week to every 2 weeks.

Start with 1 drop of oil only. Maybe 2.

xcrunr2go
May 1st, 2011, 08:43 AM
I find that cones help take away the matte, fluffy look. Try Damage Remedy Shampoo, Conditioner, Daily Hair Repair & Intensive Reconstructing Treament from Aveda. Nice, strong healthy feeling & looking hair over here after that regime.:) (not sure if the shampoo is sulfate free so I assume it is)

florenonite
May 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Scrunch the drips out of your hair with a t-shirt then air dry with no touching.

[mini-hijack]

Do you find that your hair takes significantly longer to dry like this than if you were to wrap it in a microfibre towel turban? I ask because even with a microfibre towel my hair takes hours to dry completely. I've plopped my hair to some success before, but it usually ended up so frizzy that I had to finger-comb and lose all the curl ><

Firefox7275
May 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM
[mini-hijack]

Do you find that your hair takes significantly longer to dry like this than if you were to wrap it in a microfibre towel turban? I ask because even with a microfibre towel my hair takes hours to dry completely. I've plopped my hair to some success before, but it usually ended up so frizzy that I had to finger-comb and lose all the curl ><

My old system was towel turban with a terry towel except when at the gym, as a microfibre turban didn't get enough water out of dripping hair. I still have several goes at squeezing the water out with hands alone so my hair is wet but not dripping when I add leave-in conditioner. I haven't noticed much difference but this is probably because I have gone from ponytailing whilst still wet to air drying when loose. :p Plopping is not much of a success for me, but I understand this is because my hair is too short (past SL). Fluffiness/ poofiness seems to be related to making (the back of) my hair too dry before I try to style, or not applying enough product when wet to get clumping. Are you managing to get good clumps before you start scrunching or plopping out the moisture?

florenonite
May 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
My old system was towel turban with a terry towel except when at the gym, as a microfibre turban didn't get enough water out of dripping hair. I still have several goes at squeezing the water out with hands alone so my hair is wet but not dripping when I add leave-in conditioner. I haven't noticed much difference but this is probably because I have gone from ponytailing whilst still wet to air drying when loose. :p Plopping is not much of a success for me, but I understand this is because my hair is too short (past SL). Fluffiness/ poofiness seems to be related to making (the back of) my hair too dry before I try to style, or not applying enough product when wet to get clumping. Are you managing to get good clumps before you start scrunching or plopping out the moisture?

OK, thanks. I'll try it tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

My hair does clump together, though I usually then finger-comb and the clumps disappear :p Does the clumping mean that it has the capacity to form waves?

I feel kind of sad not knowing any of this when I've been a member for close to four years, but I've usually just treated my hair as straight because it's difficult to get the waves to hold without frizz, so I just let it be mostly-straight instead.

lookingglass
May 1st, 2011, 03:53 PM
You might want to try a creamy leave in conditioner and/or aloe gel and/or try "plopping". Maybe your waves want more moisture and help with definition.

Audrey Horne
May 2nd, 2011, 05:20 AM
I have a question...does the fluffy poofiness of your hair last only for a day or two after shampooing,or is it a permanent state?My hair is always a fluffy mess after it has dried from washing...all i do is apply a teensy bit of coconut oil or some leave-in conditioner and put my hair in a bun or braid,the next day i take it down and it looks nice and shiny.
Yes, it looks way better a day after washing. Way less puffy and usually not dry.
That's what I want to try... Maybe I should put it in a bun and forget about it for a day)). Just like you mentioned. Matte-thing is probably a bigger issue at times. I also hate how my hair tends to 'separate' when drying and results in this ropes-look.
And yes, I oil my length daily...