PDA

View Full Version : Special request for all hair photographers

Madora
April 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Friends, while I've admired looking at the wonderful heads of hair here, I must admit my eyes are not once they once were.
I have difficulty discerning the quality of hair when a person with dark or black hair is wearing a dark top or dress.

Similarly, if the person has blonde or light hair, if she wears a light color top, her hair blends too much to be truly appreciated.

So, if at all possible, when taking photos of your hair, would dark haired ladies (and men) wear light colored attire, and people with light colored hair wear dark apparel. It's so much easier to appreciate what you've done with your hair if you can display it in its full glory!

Thank you/merci/gracias/danke/grazie!

Aurantia
April 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hear! Hear!

I have perfect vision but it is still hard to discern length and/or fully appreciate hair photographed over similar colored clothing. I think in general most members recognize this and attempt to enhance their locks in every way they can ... but a friendly reminder certainly can't hurt. ;)

A worthwhile post, Madora. :flower:

shikara
April 30th, 2011, 05:49 PM
You betcha!!!!

jojo
April 30th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Great post and I totally agree!

spidermom
April 30th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yes! Excellent advice! (P.S. - the chair I'm sitting in is red, so I draped a blanket over it for the newest picture because I was sure the red and red-violet would blur together too much.)

Nae
April 30th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Oooh, what a great suggestion!!!

Miss Catrina
April 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I have contacts that take me to 20/20, and I still think this is a great rule of thumb. :)

Khiwanean
April 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I never really thought of that before. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind in the future!

Sundial
April 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I will definitely do that :flower:

jeanniet
April 30th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I already do this, because otherwise I can't see the ends of my hair that well! ;)

jesis
April 30th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah I felt kind of stupid when I realized that my first LHC photo was taken against a dark top :(

From here on out!!

julliams
April 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I do this too. Great thread.

EdG
April 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Great thread! :)

In addition to the background, lighting makes a huge difference.

The best lighting is when the sun is low in the sky in the morning or evening. The result is a hair "halo" or what I refer to as the "hair god/goddess" look. Bill D took good examples of this at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1498509
Ed

jasper
April 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Bleah! I hate looking at photos of my light hair on dark clothes! That emphasizes the flaws! No, wait, really light shirts make my hair look dark!

That does it. I gotta stop photographing my hair.

NouvelleNymphe2
April 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I will keep this in mind Madora:thumbsup:

Madora
May 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
@EdG...Thanks so much for those tips! I knew there were optimal times for photographing hair outdoors..but never knew exactly when.

Now..if my sister can only come over at those times!

pepperminttea
May 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM
The best lighting is when the sun is low in the sky in the morning or evening. The result is a hair "halo" or what I refer to as the "hair god/goddess" look. Bill D took good examples of this at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1498509
Ed

I love the effect that time of day gives too, it always makes me think of that photo of Eva Cassidy, on her Songbird album cover.

EdG
May 1st, 2011, 09:18 AM
@EdG...Thanks so much for those tips! I knew there were optimal times for photographing hair outdoors..but never knew exactly when.

Now..if my sister can only come over at those times!You're welcome! :)

My former girlfriend was into photography and taught me that trick. The low angle of the sun casts long shadows that make everything look more dramatic. Landscape photos are often taken that way.
Ed

DoubleCrowned
May 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
i photographed my hair on both black and white. Neither was satisfactory for hair with gray in it. I found that a bright, non-hair color (turquoise for me) showed it the best: flaws as well as true color.

Jezerellica
July 30th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Thank you Madora and Ed!! These are imporrtant reminders!! ;)

Slinks
July 30th, 2011, 02:17 AM
When I added my later growth pic to my siggy I thought of this thread .. I thought I really should retake the pic and use the same top and window .. I will get around to it :-)

Mrspuddinhead
August 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Great idea!! I will surely do this from now on. :)

dulce
August 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Great tips Madora and Ed!

archel
August 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
I'll try, but my wardrobe is mostly black - *wink*

Anje
August 1st, 2011, 12:51 PM
Makes sense. At the same time, those of us with thinner hair might protest a little -- too much contrast makes see-through hair much worse.

Slinks
August 1st, 2011, 01:41 PM
Makes sense. At the same time, those of us with thinner hair might protest a little -- too much contrast makes see-through hair much worse.

lol .. yeah, you can still see thru my hair at my black shirt !! :-)

islandboo
August 1st, 2011, 02:16 PM

Painfully true!

Cowgirl16
August 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Good advice Madora and Ed; sometimes we tend to ignore the obvious :)