PDA

View Full Version : Is ACV damaging if left on hair too long?

Miss Catrina
April 30th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I know it's fine as a rinse, but is it a safe ingredient to put in a leave-in with oils?

krissykins
April 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
It might depend on how much is put on... but I don't know further than that.

|Xei
April 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
The human hair/scalp is naturally at a ph of 5-6, so if your ACV is diluted to the same amount or less amount of acidity, then rather than being bad for the hair, I'd imagine it would be good for it. However, I'm not an expert at this, so maybe there's more to it than just the level of acidity.

PraiseCheeses
April 30th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Ever since I found out the pH of my tap water is 9.3, I've been soaking my hair in a pitcher of diluted vinegar, pouring the rest on my head, and not rinsing it out at the end of my shower. The smell disappears as my hair dries.

Since I've been doing this, my hair has felt noticeably softer, stronger, and looks shinier. I'd say it doesn't hurt. :)

You would have to be careful with the dilution though. Too much acidity can also be damaging - you definitely do not want to use straight vinegar. 1:10 vinegar to water works well for me. Hope that helps!

jojo
April 30th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I didnt use to rinse mine out and had no problems!

littlenvy
April 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM
*nods head to the above*

I don't rinse out my ACV rinse. Just let it dry naturally.

Not sure how it works but I think that if your water is base and you mix it with acidic ACV you will get water and salt. They just cancel each other out. And if any acid is left at the end .. it will air out?? right?