PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use fine-tooth combs?

Kaya
April 30th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I was curious as to what people thought of using fine-tooth combs.
Now, mind you, I have about 6 wide-tooth combs that are sprinkled throught-out my house and in my backpack. I use these religiously. :) But I also use a fine-tooth comb when I need a smooth finish to my updos. I use it on oiled hair, so it usually glides right through, and if I encounter a snag, I just gently work it out with my fingers.
What are your opinions about using fine-tooth combs? Useful? Damaging? Too much of a hassel? Don't work?....

MeganE
April 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I'm planning to get one, because my wide toothed combs are terrible at getting the little knots out of my very fine hair. Not sure how fine to go though, so I'll be happily keeping an eye on this post. :D

danacc
April 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I finger-comb, then use a wide-toothed comb for detangling.

I use my fine-toothed comb like it sounds you do--to smooth an up-do on already de-tangled and mostly styled hair. I don't find it damaging when used this way.

jojo
April 30th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I use a fine tooth comb from time to time and love it!

Slinks
April 30th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I use a wide toothed, fine comb .. it's not as wide as a wide toothed comb but not as fine, as well as a wide, wide toothed comb .. and on oiled hair too :-)

I agree with MeganE you can't get the fine knots out of fine hair with a wide-er comb

jaine
April 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I use them but only on wet or damp hair when I'm getting it ready for damp-bunning.
My dry hair gives a lot of resistance to a fine-tooth comb, so I worry about damage if I use it while it's dry, but in wet hair it just glides right through. I know that's the opposite of what most people recommend here (I've read a lot about NOT combing wet hair) but it seems to be what my hair prefers.

ETA: in hindsight sometimes I do use it on dry oily hair. Just not dry clean hair...that's where I get resistance.

lapushka
April 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I have a fine toothed, metal rat tail comb with double teeth, like this one, and I've had it for... oh, decades.
http://www.amazon.com/iTech-Metal-Rat-Tail-Comb/dp/B000MIL5KY

Awesome for parting hair and for combing the wispy bits out of the way, for primping and preening. Not great for combing through (wet) wavy hair (which is what I used to do). Ouch is all I can say.

terpentyna
April 30th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I found a fine toothed rat tail comb on the ground once and kept it since (5 years?). I use it to define a part and smooth out an updo. Other than that it's evil ;)

caiti42
April 30th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I use one to finish off styling like you said. Works better than a hairbrush and because it's for styling the knots are already out!

As long as you keep it in good condition and get rid of it if any of the teeth snap I don't see any problems with it.

Great for naughty things like teasing too! ;-')

NouvelleNymphe2
April 30th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I use a seamless fine tooth comb every day, and I love the way it finishes my hair. I start with a pick when damp and as it dries move to a wider pick and then bamboo brush. Then I will use a fine tooth comb and BBB, when the hair is completely dry and detangled. My hair is very fine and it smooths my hair down well. Perhaps for thicker, coarser, or curlier hair this would be more difficult because the teeth are very close together.

shikara
April 30th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, one of my combs is a fine tooth, and I often find it handy to comb out the last few inches of hair. Sometimes it does what no other comb can (huh - smilies aren't working for me..........)

Madora
April 30th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Used a fine-tooth comb eons ago..before I saw the light and understood that a wide tooth comb was much better for my hair.

I will say a fine-tooth comb is great for digging out those pesky little hairs that constantly get snagged in your brush.

Whatever floats your boat!

christine1989
April 30th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I have both wide and fine tooth combs sprinkles all over my house and car and I use them both. I like how the fine tooth ones break up my hair so it dosen't get that clumped together "peicy" look. My hair strands are pretty strong and thick so I don't see any negative effects.

Miss Catrina
April 30th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I use a fine toothed comb very similarly to what you describe. I have a plastic "shower comb", but the tines are so thick and far apart it kind of leaves ridges in my hair and doesn't smooth well. So it's nice to go over that with a fine toothed one.

dragonchickx
April 30th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I love using the fine tooth combs for after brushing and than applying leave in conditioners it seems to cover every strand that way!!! I love them, they are useful.

Sundial
April 30th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I use it to smooth my hair out before doing updos

Jezerellica
April 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Perfect to hear from you, Sun! I was just wondering if you did. I read someone with fine thin hair liked to use one daily and was surprised. :)

Seharia
April 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shudder:
I just used one 10 minutes ago cause it was right next to me and I kept on hearing popping sounds "hmm strange noise" thinks my overtired brain and then I realized it was my hair braking.
I've got to go throw those things out sometime...

Chetanlaiho
May 2nd, 2011, 06:20 AM
I use them for my bangs, and for very gently smoothing updos, no problems so far ^^

skyblue
May 2nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
I tried the other day just to see if I could
after a wide tooth and a brushing I could use a fine tooth
but very carefully ;)

Calanthe
May 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Just to neaten up certain styles like a french twist or log roll and when I decide to do something vaguely interesting to the front of a hairstyle as I don't have bangs/fringe.

Sunshineliz
May 2nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
My fine toothed comb DESTROYED my hair! Of course that was my own fault, using one on wet hair that had a HUGE rat's nest tangle in it. I had to go somewhere, was desperate to detangle, and couldn't find anything else in the house. If that ever happens again I'll just go with the rat's nest--I have a nice hat now.:)
As a smoothing finisher, very carefully used, it might be ok.

Theobroma
May 2nd, 2011, 09:12 AM
I use a fine-toothed comb, but only to smooth my scalp hair for updos and on my ends to help distribute coconut oil; for most of my length I stick to a wide-toothed comb or a wooden-peg brush.