PDA

View Full Version : Natural hair thickeners for fine hair?

Kristamommyx3
April 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I have been feeling pretty down on my hair this week. :(
It's very fine, and unless I use root boost, and plumping mousse, it's like seaweed on a log, since the heat and humidity set in here inFL. Oh, and somehow also very static prone, too! Grrr. I have seen some talk about castor oil and cassia for thickening, but don't know enough to try it out. Can anyone give me some advice on these or any other good tips for my lame- o summer hair?
(I have an oily scalp, if that matters for any of it.). Thank you in advance! :)

Aniah
April 30th, 2011, 09:22 AM
You can try Eclipta Alba essence. I'm not sure if it's available at your area but in Singapore, I can find it easily and it's called 'Urang Aring'. But it seems like you have light hair...eclipta alba will make it darker... ): hmm...maybe try coconut oil? It works for me.

Siaraven
April 30th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Havnt got any advice or suggestions sorry, but wanted to post to say your hair is really beautiful! It looks like my ideal hair if i had a say in it :)
I often wish i could make my hair thinner, i guess we're never really satisfied with what we've got :violin: :D

shikara
April 30th, 2011, 04:44 PM
hmmm, I'm not sure, but may have read that people on LHC have used henna which accomplishes this (toddles off to search 'henna').

Kristamommyx3
April 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Havnt got any advice or suggestions sorry, but wanted to post to say your hair is really beautiful! It looks like my ideal hair if i had a say in it :)
I often wish i could make my hair thinner, i guess we're never really satisfied with what we've got :violin: :D

Thank you! I always wish for much thicker hair, so I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. :p

Kristamommyx3
April 30th, 2011, 04:58 PM
You can try Eclipta Alba essence. I'm not sure if it's available at your area but in Singapore, I can find it easily and it's called 'Urang Aring'. But it seems like you have light hair...eclipta alba will make it darker... ): hmm...maybe try coconut oil? It works for me.

Thank you, I wish I could find something like that, but that wouldn't darken my hair. Cocnut oil seems to make my hair happy, but so far not thicker. I'm glad that you found some things that work well for you, it's so hard to find your hair soul mates! Lol

Kristamommyx3
April 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM
hmmm, I'm not sure, but may have read that people on LHC have used henna which accomplishes this (toddles off to search 'henna').

Do you suppose there is such a thing as a clear henna?

RocketDog
April 30th, 2011, 06:41 PM
No such thing as clear henna, but cassia can give you similar conditioning with very little color. Henna has not made my hair thicker at all, but the color is pretty fun. Castor oil doesn't make my hair thicker either.

cinemax
April 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM
First, I think your hair is beautiful!!!
I have super fine hair and have used cassia and I love it. It makes my hair super shiny and it feels thicker. I have been going through some major hair prob and have seen some very good results recently from using coconut oil and doing cassia treatments. My hair is med brown and although it says it won't change the color of brown hair, it has changed mine slightly. It looks a little lighter which I really like. I have used cassia prob five times. If you mix some oil in with it, it goes on much easier and isn't as drying. I use coconut oil. There is a thread here about cassia. I got mine from hennasoog. If you go to her web site there's a lot of info there.
If my hair looked as good as yours, I'd be one happy girl.
Good luck!!:cheese:

shikara
April 30th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Okay, so I did some 'googling' and found these suggestions. Hmmm, I might just try something from here....

1. Mix 2 tsp of gelatin (the kind you use to make jelly preserves) with the normal amount of shampoo you use. Leave in hair for 5 minutes. Rinse. Skip the conditioner.
or
2. Mix 2 tsp of baking powder (POWDER not soda that is used for clarifying) with normal amount of shampoo you use. Leave in hair for 3 minutes. Rinse. Skip the conditioner.
or
3. Whisk 2 egg yolks with 1 tsp olive oil and work in from the roots to the tips. Cover with tower for 15-20 minutes. Rinse.

shikara
April 30th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Found a couple more. I think if you googles 'use a hair thickener before it's too late' it will come up as an 'infobarrel' site. It says that using these homemade recipes will also prepare your scalp to produce thicker and healthier hair (although I'm sure genetics plays a large role in thickness of hair?)

1. Mix 1/4 banana and 1/4 avocad into a creamy paste. Work into your scalp and hair. Put on a shower cap and leave in hair for 20-30 minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual.
or
2. (to thicken brittle hair) Add two teaspoons of oat flour to your conditioner every time you condition.
or
2. (also for brittle hair) Dissolve 1 tsp of oat flour into 1 cup of water and saturate your hair before conditioning (hehe I'm sure many of us would have to dissolve more oat flour into more water - pretty darn sure I can't 'saturate' my hair with 1 cup water!!)

|Xei
May 1st, 2011, 02:36 AM
I remember reading on some site (I have a feeling it's this one) that shea butter really bulks up the hair. You would apply it as you would normally oil (scrape a little off, and smooth it down your lengths).

Kristamommyx3
May 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Great ideas, thank you all so much!

liliala
May 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM
I shaved my head about two months ago, and have been using an improvised mix of oils and herbs to grow it back. Most dermatologists say that shaving doesn't work for thickening hair, so it's probably the mix, but I don't know for sure.

I had a bottle of amla oil with some sweet almond oil. I mixed it with some olive oil and hazelnut oil(with added vitamin E). I have also added some garlic, rosemary, and a little henna.
I use it on my scalp before I wash my hair. It smells like salad but not in a bad way...:rolleyes:

It seems to darken my hennaed hair a little bit though...

Honestwitness
May 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
I have very fine hair and it's light in color, too. I don't want anything that will change the color. My favorite product is Organix Coconut Milk Mousse. It has coconut milk, egg whites, and other ingredients. It smells good and definitely makes my hair thicker. I apply it after shampoo, conditioner, and gentle towel drying. I scrunch it into my hair and let it air dry. I *do not* comb my hair until it is completely dry, if at all, because the mousse makes it sticky and causes a drag on the comb, if it is even slightly damp. That will take out all the waves I worked so hard to scrunch in.