PDA

View Full Version : Hula hair

chenille
April 30th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Hi folks! The Merrie Monarch Festival is going on in Hawaii right now, and I thought you might enjoy watching the video of the hula competitions. It's traditional for the girls to have long hair, and in some of the group dances I was just watching, there are lengths from BSL to classic.

KFVE's Merrie Monarch page (http://www.k5thehometeam.com/category/184055/merrie-monarch-festival)

As I'm posting this, they have a link to the 2010 videos at the top of the page, and if you scroll down they have some of the 2011 videos from the past couple of nights.

Helpful terminology: wahine is girls, kane is guys. Also, hula kahiko is traditional - more natural costumes, natural musical instruments, etc. It looks to me like most hula kahiko starts with a couple of minutes of chanting before the dancing starts. Hula auana is a little more modern, more modern music and costumes, and a couple of the solo girls I watched went with updos. (Still beautiful!)

tierra11
May 2nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
they have beautiful hair. thank for the post :)

gthlvrmx
May 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Oh i love everyone's hair! :) I remember seeing last year a group of wahine dancing with all the same length hair all cut the same exact way, with waves the exact same way :) It inspired me completely to make my move and grow :)
The kane always impress me with their kahikos :p

akuamoonmaui
May 2nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Thank you for posting this! I intended to as I was watching Kahiko night. The halau (groups or schools) do chant first, it is called an oli (emphasis on the 'o' not the 'lee') which is a kind of welcome or announcement.

Eolan
May 3rd, 2011, 02:22 AM
I am going to enjoy these videos when I'm home from work. Thank you for posting them! I really need a summer boost today, since we have crazy weather here today. It actually snowed!