PDA

View Full Version : what updo's are best for damp updo's

bunzfan
April 30th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I n the last month i have been trying out damp bunning which makes my hair super-soft but, as i have been wearing it in braided buns mostly i was wondering if this damages it more with wet hair as for the first time this year i have found splits.

So to those of your that do this daily what type of bun do you wear as i have been mainly wearing a twisted cinnamon bun or a Chinese bun are these very damaging??

Madora
April 30th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Well, I don't damp bun or braid so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Generally speaking, if you want to damp bun/braid your hair, then I'd suggest you not pull/twist;braid the hair tightly.

Of course, when the hair is dry (after damp bunning/braiding), it might be extra "frisky" for a day or so, which is not unusual. You can either just let it alone or perhaps use a tiny bit of coconut oil down the length.

You'll probably have quite a few braid waves from the damp braiding..and these can be extra "frisky".

Updos - damp or dry - are a great way to keep your hair up and free from tangles and damage. It just depends on what implements you use..and HOW you use them. I use 3 1/2 inch hairpins exclusively -- or smaller 2 inch crimped hairpins. I want the beauty of my hair to be the center of attention..not any adornments!

HintOfMint
April 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I usually damp bun using a cinnabun as I like the curls it gives me. I haven't noticed it giving me more splits though.

How are you tying off your bun? An elastic or bobby pins may be contributing to the splits. A lot of people here use U shaped pins or spin pins and those tend to be pretty hairsafe.

bunzfan
April 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Thank you both i normally use either hair sticks or fork as my hair spits out hair pins
:rolleyes:

I think my hair normally looks like i put my fingers in a socket as i have very hair to begin with and goes curly very easily so if i damp braid its even more pronounced.

shikara
April 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Damp buns, braids.....I usually wear my hair in a twisted chignon but don't dampen it because of the manipulation to get it up higher and turning it. You can even do a simple damp bunning (just coiling or whatever) when you go to sleep and it will be wonderfully soft in the morning, then bun it how you like in the morning, give it a mist, and off you go!!!! Just before bed, I dampen my ends and wrap two large rollers into my hair and go sleep. It's wonderful to comb and prepare in the morning!!

jaine
April 30th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I like the resulting bun waves if I just wrap my hair around a finger (no twisting) and secure the loop with a claw clip or two .... kind of like one big pin curl.
Maybe once my hair gets longer I'll be wrapping it around multiple fingers instead of one.
My hair looks best if I let the entire bun dry before I take it down ... I have less frizz that way.

Florida Mom
April 30th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I damp bun in a cinnamon bun pretty much every day - sometimes higher and sometimes lower - using a hairstick. I am careful to not twist or bun too tightly. Occasionally I'll use a hairfork. I haven't noticed any damage or splits from it.

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Maybe you are noticing more damage due to your hair getting longer? I never noticed split ends until i reached bsl either. I now use oil lightly every day on my very ends and it has helped a lot.