PDA

View Full Version : Is this hair cleavage normal?

monsterna
April 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I've posted about this before but I didn't have pictures, but now I do so I can show what I'm talking about. Didn't want to raise my old thread from the dead since it only got a couple of replies and I didn't want people to not see it because they may have before and figured nothing new was added. So this is why I made a new one.

Anyway, I've noticed some weird scalp cleavage (is it a major cowlick??) at the back of my crown that really makes my hair look warped and not lay flat, even after combing it down after it's wet. Here are some pictures I just took. It looks really greasy because I just applied Monistat as well, but that actually makes the problem easier to see in photographs. I am concern whether this isn't just normal cleavage/cowlick behavior, because it's pretty big and I've only noticed it after joining LHC a couple months ago. I don't know if I notice it only because my hair's getting longer and it was hidden more with my shorter hair, but my hair's been this length and a bit longer even within the last couple years, and I didn't notice it then.

Please let me know what you think. In the pics, I parted it how the hair WANTS to lay, which exacerbates the showing of scalp. Normally I have it combed over as best I can, but that even results in greasy looking comb-marks, even right after washing. It's very strange and I have no idea what to do about it or if it's thinning or something. The hair feels "rough" there because they are all growing in wonky directions.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9152.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9159.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9155.jpg

Trying to comb over how it wants to lie:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9161.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9162.jpg

The normal looking left side:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9164.jpg

jesis
April 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM
It didn't look bad when you weren't trying to comb it over, but it does look like a cowlick to me. :)

Slinks
April 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I think it's just your crown .. a cowlick crown ..

monsterna
April 29th, 2011, 06:03 PM
It didn't look bad when you weren't trying to comb it over, but it does look like a cowlick to me. :)

It looks worse there since it's greasy now, when dry it's not that bad since the dry hair has more body, but it's still a bit noticeable (if only to me because I know it's there).

Thing is, when I let it go how it wants to lie, it is way too far to the side, so the left side of my hair at the back poofs up way too much and it looks like an extreme side part and just stupid. =\

jesis
April 29th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Hmm.. I still don't think it's anything more than a cowlick. It doesn't really look that bad!

jojo
April 29th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I think you do have a very slight cowlick near your crown, as your hair grows longer it will weigh down over it. It looks worse as your hair is greasy (btw I use daktarin and never get greasy hair from it; I apply to dripping wet hair) but overall your hair looks nice.

monsterna
April 29th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I think you do have a very slight cowlick near your crown, as your hair grows longer it will weigh down over it. It looks worse as your hair is greasy (btw I use daktarin and never get greasy hair from it; I apply to dripping wet hair) but overall your hair looks nice.

Thank you. I'm hoping so. I don't remember when it was shorter, but all the layers obviously were shorter too, and so it probably just blended together really well. Hopefully the weight of longer hair will weigh it down as the rest of my layers grow out.

I use a generic Walgreens version of Monistat and always apply it straight to dry hair. But that's because I wash it out a few hours later every night. :)

11eleven
April 29th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I have that too and I HATE it. I have found that after I shower if I redirect my hair the way I want it to go it is slightly better. I have also found that the more often you do this you can almost train your hair to fall the way you want. Also, strategically placed colour matching bobby pins to keep that area covered may also help. No need to worry you're not going bald.

Tressie
April 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I think I have two of these (double crown)! I am so lucky! LOL! :hifive:

monsterna
April 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear that no one thinks it's a bad sign! It's just very difficult to deal with and it's stubborn. :)

Angeletti
April 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Mine looks exactly same the same as yours, it drives me nuts!

MrsGuther
April 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I feel your pain! I have a cowlick in almost the exact spot as yours! The "hair cleavage" always aggravates me too, so I try to comb my hair to make it cooperate with how I want it to look. Good to know I am not the only one dealing with this issue.

Slinks
April 29th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I think I have two of these (double crown)! I am so lucky! LOL! :hifive:

my son has a double crown and a cowlick on his forehead !! the one on his forehead produces a curl like superman :-)

kme81
April 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM
My mom and I both have a similar part...It shows up on dirty hair a lot more than on clean hair for us as well. It doesn't make too much of a bump on the side of my head though. :)

Kathie
April 29th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I think it’s pretty normal. Hair follicles grow out in a spiral shape from the crown. It’s just a little more pronounced in some people compared to others.

Miss Catrina
April 29th, 2011, 10:59 PM
It doesn't look strange to me. Have you tried smoothing it with a BBB? That usually helps me when my hair is making greasy comb marks.

monsterna
April 29th, 2011, 11:17 PM
It doesn't look strange to me. Have you tried smoothing it with a BBB? That usually helps me when my hair is making greasy comb marks.

I've been thinking about getting one. Need to find a good place to do so.

Thanks for all the responses though, I'm glad it doesn't look abnormal to you guys. I just don't notice it on other people and didn't know what to make of it.

ravenreed
April 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I have a slightly off-center one of those and it drives me crazy. It is very noticeable from the back. Fortunately, I don't see the back of my own head often.

McFearless
April 30th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Could you maybe use your hands to fluff up that area? I think it looks fine the way it is.

I've seen that type of cowlick? on Asian people the most. Its not a big deal.

oktobergoud
April 30th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I have that too! And even worse than you have.. on the same spot.. and.. I have a pixie!! You don't want to know how my hair looks like when I wake up hehe! Most of the time it sticks straight up, no matter how much I comb it, wet it, it will NOT do what I want it to do :P

That being said, your hair looks absolutely fine to me :)

darklion
April 30th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I have one too! ... and it looks just like yours!

I've found that sleeping with a sleep cap has really helped it be less pronounced. It's still there... just softer. Maybe it's the way I sleep. Goofy advice, I know... but, it has helped me.

Mesmerise
April 30th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I took a pic of the top of my head the other day, and that's almost EXACTLY what it looked like! It's a weird party bit that goes down the back of my head where no part should be lol. I'd never noticed it before (probably cause I don't usually check out the top of my head), but it did look like freaky hair cleavage to me as well.

I guess it's just normal hair growth in some sort of cowlick or whatever.

Xandergrammy
April 30th, 2011, 06:13 AM
It looks just like the back of my head and mine is a cowlick, which I didn't realize until I found this board 5 years ago!!!! Totally normal.

monsterna
April 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I'm glad it's so normal, but I wish we didn't have to deal with it since it's a PITA :D. Thanks guys!

LadyG
April 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Yep, I have this also, the only way I can hide it is if I have my hair combed back into a bun or pony tail. Sorry I don't have any answers for you. It doesn't really look that bad.

fiddlefananb
April 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I have it too! Mine looks like a bald spot in the back of my hair. I keep trying to pull hair over it but it always peaks back open. I am so glad I am not alone!

DoubleCrowned
April 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Monsterna, If you feel your hair when it is wet, you can feel the flat side of the cowlick laying tightly against the scalp. With my fingers, I coax that part up and more toward the part of the cowlick that stands up while the hair is drying. That helps some.

You may notice that you are sleeping in such a way that the cowlick if pressed into its natural stubborn position. (I ought to invent an anti-cowlick pillow...)

Parting the hair very crisply right to the cowlick will make it look like you want it there, but usually I camouflage mine by running a fine toothed come or BBB through it after the hair is styled.