PDA

View Full Version : Self trim with layers

Riot Crrl
June 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I've been thinking about how cheap I am and how much I hate the combing of stylists. I understand why they do it, I just hate it and think that I can do it more gently (if more time-consumingly) on my own.

I know about Feye's method for blunt ends, and also the ponytail method for layers, but I don't know if either one will be sufficient to get all my ends. I have been thinking about attempting to combine them into a hybrid.

Has anyone done this? Has this wheel already been invented?

daydreamer
June 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I used to cut my own layers more or less with a ponytail method (except a whole bunch of them) and it worked quite well -- I did the main cut first, and the layers second. Of course, my hair was a lot shorter then too :) maybe someone else has a better answer.

chrissy-b
June 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I've done that heaps of times. I cut my own hair for 10+ years. I'd start out cutting the length by pulling the ends and feeling how much I wanted to take off, check in the mirror for any stragglers, followed by the ponytail trim for layers. I'd always dry my hair then trim off any areas that didn't look or fall right before I'd consider myself done with the cut.

I got really good at it, but then ended up with shorter and shorter hair trying different styles and whatnot and while I plan on continuing this method...I'm stretching the time between trims.

Riot Crrl
June 17th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Cool. I'm going to try it, but I might wait a month or so first. Then it will be six months since my last trim. I'm not getting splits or anything yet, but I found a few ends that are trying to turn into those pre-split balls.