PDA

View Full Version : Growing long hair with chemical sensitivities

Annalouise
April 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Hi:) I want to start a thread where people with chemical sensitivities can talk about how they are accomplishing their long term hair goals.

I am trying to grow long hair despite the fact that it is becoming harder and harder for me to use conventional products such as shampoo and conditioner and deep conditioners.

I developed sensitivities to soaps, detergents and fragrance over a year ago. I get very ill from "fragrance" and detergent melts my skin off.

I seem to be better with castile soap but I could not get it to work for my hair. I've tried oils and they are too heavy for my fine hair and too hard to remove without shampoo. And I've tried washing herbs but they seemed to dry my hair out or cause build up which results in tangles.

It is really hard to grow long hair when you can't use conventional products. My hair tends to get dry and my scalp is oily. I've also tried water only but it failed due to a very oil scalp.

So this hopefully will be a place to share our frustrations about being chemically sensitive, and also to find ways to grow healthy long hair without conventional products.

I look forward to hearing from others.:)

natatatt
April 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Have you tried mixing coconut oil and castile soap?

felinefrenzy
April 29th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I have some sensitivities, I really like the Dessert Essence products.

Annalouise
April 29th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Have you tried mixing coconut oil and castile soap?

No, but according to Ktani that combination did not get good results.

Have you tried it and how did it work for you?

torrilin
April 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Do you know which detergents you're sensitive to?

With castille soap... it is a lot like shampoo bars. Makes sense, as both are soaps. Both are very basic in a chemical sense (so the p.H is greater than 7), and that high p.H needs to be neutralized with acid. Our skin and scalp usually has a p.H of between 5 and 6. Further, soaps can be tricky to use, since hard water inhibits lathering and produces soap scum, which can build up on your hair.

It would be pretty unusual for you to react to vinegar (acetic acid) or citric acid, so I'd test that first. Often they're used in very dilute solutions because it really doesn't take much to neutralize soap residue. It also doesn't take very much to minimize the problems of hard water. For me, the results are very dramatic, and it means I can do a scalp wash with a simple shampoo and do a vinegar rinse and *nothing* else.

As an even more simple solution, you might try a very dilute baking soda and water solution, followed by an acid rinse. Again, same issue as with soaps. Baking soda has a high p.H so the acid rinse is necessary. (not something I'm keen on given how fine my hair is, but if I started having more reactions to scent, it'd be a sensible thing to try)

Food grade products tend to be the most strictly regulated, so food-safe oils and food ingredients are where I'd start. If you can eat something safely, chances are good that it will be ok on your skin... and if it isn't, the ingredients list at least is clearer!

marimara
April 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I have mild chemical sensitivities. I really like Aura Fragrance Free shampoo from Sally's Beauty Supply. I do have to do a "stronger" shampoo once a week or my hair gets pretty oily and buildup-y since the Aura isn't that strong.

I can use Giovanni conditioners. I can handle the 50/50 condish well.

Most of my sensitivities have to do with skin irritation or causing migraines. Strong artificial fragrances will cause a headache/migraine. Ironically, I can use VO5 shampoo once a week.

I can use the giovanni I mentioned and I use Aubrey Organics. They do have a natural scent but they don't use fragrances and they don't give me headaches.

Have u tried Earth Science fragrance free shampoo/condish? Vitacost sells them. I haven't used the yet, but want to try. I'm so glad my sensitivities seem to be holding and not getting worse. I'm working on my general overall health. I have an autoimmune disorder (not sure if that's related to that or not).

marimara
April 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Wanted to add that during the height of my sensitivities and prior to being diagnosed with the autoimmune thing, the only things I could use on my body/hair were:

Dr. Bronners-baby mild or very diluted lavender
Aura fragrance free shampoo used as face wash, body wash, and shampoo
Aubrey Organics conditioner, JAY conditioner.
Pure coconut oil as shaving gel and moisturizer
Pure aloe gel on face and to soothe hives/skin irritation.

jaine
April 29th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I found a conditioner that my hair loves and my skin is happy with (John Masters lavender & avocado conditioner) ... but it costs $75 for 35 ounces! :p For now I just buy it, because I can and because I like it. I'll probably look for something cheaper once I get to the end of my current bottle, in anticipation of the day when I'll need a lot more conditioner to wash my hair.

My skin likes the "obsessively natural" brands ... the ones whose ingredient standards are a step above what you might find at a typical health health food store ... John Masters, Max Green Alchemy, Sevi, etc...
There's a Sevi conditioner that I haven't tried yet that is cheaper than John Masters - that's next on my list...

Sigh!

natatatt
April 29th, 2011, 07:16 PM
No, but according to Ktani that combination did not get good results.

Have you tried it and how did it work for you?

I haven't yet, but I'm planning to this week! I'll let you know how it goes :)

Annalouise
April 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Felinefrenzy -I used to use the dessert essence conditioner. That was a long time ago. I didn't have a problem with it then if my memory serves me correctly.:)

Torrilin - I react to all detergents. But diluted castile soap seems to be ok, I think. And I do react to baking soda. I tried washing dishes with baking soda and cleaning my counter tops with it and it gave me a chemical burn. And interestingly enough, vinegar I am not 100% sure about. I think its possible I might react to it. I'm just realizing this now. The last two times I washed my hair my hair concoction contained apple cider vinegar and my hands hurt really badly (like instant arthritis) when I got out of the shower. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why but when you mentioned vinegar in your post I realized that it could be the vinegar. Similarly, I tried eating some pickles the last couple days and I don't want to tell you how I reacted to them, not well.:( So I think its a distinct possibility that vinegar is the culprit so I'll do an experiment and avoid it for the next week or so and see if my health issues goes away and also if my hair washes stop hurting my hands.

I agree with you 100% about just using food grade items and that is why tonight I'm going to wash my hair with something edible. I haven't decided what yet.:D (something without vinegar);)

Hi Marimara,:) I get migrane headaches from fragrance too. Body aches and headaches. Also chest pains and breathing problems if its laundry products in close proximity.
I have used the Giovanni tea tree conditioner before and it seemed to be ok. I think, that was a few years ago.
And I sortof know what you mean about VO5. I wouldn't use it, but its not as bad smelling as many other fragranced products. At least, it doesn't send me reeling. Its a very old formulation though. My husband used to only use the VO5 shampoo original scent. Our home is now fragrance free though.

The jury is out on the aubreys. I don't know if it gives me symptoms, but its too smelly for me. And I have tried the earth sciences conditioner (fragrance free)and I was fine with it.
I have Celiac Disease and that is an auto-immune disorder. I think that once you have an auto-immune disorder you are more susceptible to other conditions and sensitivities because the immune system doesn't work properly.

I too occasionally use the Dr. Bronners baby bar soap, made into a diluted liquid soap on my hair. And I use olive oil for hand washing and shaving. And also aloe vera gel on sunburns.

Hi Jaine, That is too steep for me!;) I haven't heard of those brands are they salon brands? I will look them up on the internet. Thanks.

Natatatt, let me know how that works for you.:)

McFearless
April 29th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Have you tried egg washing? The sebum only/no water method? Oils for fine hair like camellia? Just listing things off the top of my head..

Annalouise
April 29th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Have you tried egg washing? The sebum only/no water method? Oils for fine hair like camellia? Just listing things off the top of my head..

Egg washing works. You have to rinse it really well though. And I did water only for 2 months but due to having a very oil scalp it didn't work. No, I haven't tried camellia oil yet. Maybe one day.

I am aiming at some routine where I use distilled water rinses, an herbal wash like hibiscus for conditioning, and maybe a very diluted castile soap. But, if I can replace the soap with a non soap that would be better. I am experimenting with various food items. Someone in another thread suggested using a sugar water paste on my scalp and I'm going to try that.:)

jaine
April 29th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Jaine, That is too steep for me!;) I haven't heard of those brands are they salon brands? I will look them up on the internet. Thanks.

Yeah it's getting to be too steep for me too as my hair gets longer. I used to be able to use a 1" blob of it for all my hair and the bottle would last ages but that's just not enough as it gets longer.
They are mostly brands that I found while googling and reading ingredient lists. My own skin seems happy if I look for no "fragrance" ingredient, pronounceable and familiar ingredients in the rest of the list, preferably organic/vegan/not tested on animals, and a short and familiar list of emulsifiers. "familiar" is subjective I guess. I just feel suspicious of any ingredient I can't pronounce that I haven't used yet. But if it's something I can pronounce, like an herbal extract, then it's probably safe for me even if it's not familiar. I like these brands because their ingredient lists are very pronounceable - mostly herbal extracts and oils and one or two familiar emulsifiers.

Sundial
April 29th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I have sensitivities too and I have noticed some improvements after I switched to natural products. Currently I am having the least problems with A'Kin, but I am still on the search for a holy grail product

LadyG
April 29th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I found that I can't use anything with SLS/ALS. I'm also allergic to anything with sulfa in it. So I can't even take some over the counter vitamins/minerals. So, I've learned to read the labels, and if I order anything off the internet, I ask if their in there. You'd be surprised where I've found the nasty little buggers.
Toothpaste, deodorant, soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bubble bath and the list will most likely grow.

DoubleCrowned
April 30th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Given my bad experience with conditioners that seemed to dissolve my hair and the trouble I have with fragrances, I've written off commercial products unless the ingredients read like a recipe I could put together in my kitchen. No chemicals; no exceptions. For example, if the bottle says "glycerin" I count it as a chemical because it is petroleum-based unless it says "vegetable glycerin." My bathroom sports a few labels from Aubrey and Weleda, but that's it. The rest I make myself. Although natural, Aubrey's fragrance is so strong that I only use it occasionally--perhaps 2-3 times this year so far.

I wing it for my hair care routine. Right now I am using water only, but my hair is getting a little dull, so I will probably use either egg or soapwort next, then go back to water only.

I use whole egg, whisked throughly with about a teaspoon of water on wet hair; rinsed out with cool water over and over. Soapwort I simmer with rainwater to cover until it is the color of beer and will foam a little, then let it cool before straining. I pour it over my head into another container, then switch and pour the runoff through, over and over until the solution looks milky and my hair feels clean enough. Rainwater is the key. Soft water would probably work okay.

I have not had good luck with apple cider rinses, but since joining LHC understand that I might have the dilution wrong.

Using these methods, I don't need much in the way of conditioner. A touch of CO has been fine. A couple times in this past winter I used Aubrey's GPB. For scalp cleansing I use a fruit and dissolved sugar mask like I use on my skin. I have also used aloe vera as a scalp treatment. If I want extra body, I rinse with stale beer.

I have other natural hair-care routines, too; but this is my current one. As the weather changes, it is likely that my routine will change with it. If my hair gets hopelessly gooey, I'll use an Aubrey shampoo once, then go back to water only.

Annalouise
April 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM
LadyG - detergents are really bad for me. What are you using for shampoo currently? And what toothpaste do you use that doesn't have SLS?

Sundial - thanks for mentioning Akin. The products look nice. But, its hard to know when they use fancy words if the coconut derived things are soaps or more like detergents. I don't understand why they use all the long names for things. For instance, what do they do to the coconut oil to make it into all the various end products? I have no idea. I prefer to stick to something like Olive oil, water and lye. At least that way I know what is being done to make the soap.

Doublecrowned :) thanks for dropping in, - I noticed you don't mention soap anywhere. What reaction do you get from a castile soap made from oil and lye?
And I agree with you about glycerin. I threw mine out because it was petrochemical. I think it is quite toxic.
Aubrey's products are too smelly for me to use too.
What do you mean by a fruit and dissolved sugar mix?
I haven't tried soapwort. Maybe I will when I find some. I've never seen it in the health food stores here.
I've tried yucca, aritha and shikakai but I found all of them to be either too drying, or too harsh. Yucca made my hair look beautiful but it made it sooo big that I suspect it was lifting the cuticle.

jaine
April 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Speaking of glycerin and SLS and toothpaste ... I switched to Zum goat milk soap instead of toothpaste last year and I really like it. I think my gums are just as sensitive as my skin - they recede noticeably after every single time I use conventional toothpaste or mouthwash. I have a filling right next to my gumline, so it's really obvious when my gums recede - I can feel a gap between the filling and my gums. Once I switch back to my soap toothpaste the gap closes after a few days. It's weird!

Annalouise
April 30th, 2011, 11:05 AM
This is my favorite toothpaste:)
http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Answer-PerioBrite-Toothpaste

DoubleCrowned
April 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Doublecrowned[/B] :) thanks for dropping in, - I noticed you don't mention soap anywhere. What reaction do you get from a castile soap made from oil and lye?
And I agree with you about glycerin. I threw mine out because it was petrochemical. I think it is quite toxic.
Aubrey's products are too smelly for me to use too.
What do you mean by a fruit and dissolved sugar mix?
I haven't tried soapwort. Maybe I will when I find some. I've never seen it in the health food stores here.
I've tried yucca, aritha and shikakai but I found all of them to be either too drying, or too harsh. Yucca made my hair look beautiful but it made it sooo big that I suspect it was lifting the cuticle.

I do not react to castile soap but it leaves my hair like straw. Except for hands, I use almost no soap on my skin, not because of sensitivity, but because I do not want to disrupt the skin's acid mantle or the beneficial bacteria that live there to protect it. Soap kills bacteria, so after using it the bad bacteria (that cause body odor) can move in instead. Beneficial bacteria can be encouraged with topical treatment of yogurt.

Traditional facials used acidic fruit (strawberry, peach, etc) and white sugar as a base--often with milk or cream. These exfoliate and fesd the skin, so I figured that they would do the same for the scalp. I have not settled on a recipe yet; have not included the dairy products, though. Yogurt with the syrup on the bottom might be a very nice scalp treatment (you could eat the chunks of fruit while you do it!). Anyone up for an experiment?

Soapwort is a weed over most of the USA. I saw it growing in the high desert of AZ. Look up Bouncing Bet (Saponaria off.). The recipes call for the root, but the leaves and stems work, too.

I have not tried aritha, but prefer soapwort over shikakai or yucca. The yucca was extremely harsh for my hair. I might try it on clothing... Shikakai was messy the way I was told to use it, and not free like soapwort is.

DoubleCrowned
April 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Weleda's toothpastes do not have SLS. Their salt toothpaste does contain mint, if you are sensitive to that. It is their most abrasive, but you can modify that my letting the salt dissolve before you start scrubbing. Their Pink Toothpaste has myrrh in it, which kills germs. I use their Calendula toothpaste--it's very gentle and also whitens a little.

LadyG
April 30th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Annalouise - Right now I'm using Burt Bee's toothpaste for children - orange flavor. I don't like peppermint.
I don't like laundry detergent - they don't really list the chemical. I've done best with arm and hammer sensitive skin/fragrance free best. I can't use fabric softeners - terrible itches and rashes, so I use vinegar as my final rinse agent in the washer, but if I use too much, I can smell it on my clothes.
I bought several books on how to make your own cleaners for use around the house due to my difficulties with allergies.

ETA - I use Natures Gate shampoo mixed with coconut oil - if I don't dilute with coconut oil, my scalp gets very dry. Rinse with vinegar water, VO5 conditioner, rinse again with vinegar. When dry, sweet almond oil on the ends and Nightbloomings panacea original without added scent to the rest of my hair. I use castile/olive oil soap. I tried roll on sls free deodorant, but it's not strong enough to work, so went back to solid stick, I'll put up with it for now. I can't find sls/als free bubble bath so I bought Natures Gate liquid bath soap and see if I can get that to bubble up in the bath. Grrrr.

Annalouise
April 30th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I do not react to castile soap but it leaves my hair like straw. Except for hands, I use almost no soap on my skin, not because of sensitivity, but because I do not want to disrupt the skin's acid mantle or the beneficial bacteria that live there to protect it. Soap kills bacteria, so after using it the bad bacteria (that cause body odor) can move in instead. Beneficial bacteria can be encouraged with topical treatment of yogurt.

Traditional facials used acidic fruit (strawberry, peach, etc) and white sugar as a base--often with milk or cream. These exfoliate and fesd the skin, so I figured that they would do the same for the scalp. I have not settled on a recipe yet; have not included the dairy products, though. Yogurt with the syrup on the bottom might be a very nice scalp treatment (you could eat the chunks of fruit while you do it!). Anyone up for an experiment?

Soapwort is a weed over most of the USA. I saw it growing in the high desert of AZ. Look up Bouncing Bet (Saponaria off.). The recipes call for the root, but the leaves and stems work, too.

I have not tried aritha, but prefer soapwort over shikakai or yucca. The yucca was extremely harsh for my hair. I might try it on clothing... Shikakai was messy the way I was told to use it, and not free like soapwort is.

Hi,:) The coconut based soaps are more drying than a pure olive oil castile soap. I haven't used them long enough to know if they make my hair like straw. But when I use the Dr. Bronners unscented soap on my hands they are all dried out but when I use a 100% olive oil soap my hands feel silky and soft.

I used to harvest yucca and now I'm not interested in driving for a half hour (gas $$$) to harvest plants and get blisters from sawing roots..:D Noooooo thanks. Way to labor intensive for lazy me. Then cleaning and pounding roots and making a shampoo and then re-pouring it through my hair over the bathtub. :o

I hope I can get the castile soap to work for the sake of convenience and ease.

I tried yogurt in my hair but my hair didn't like it. I tried the sugar too and it was interesting. But I haven't tried fruit with sugar.
I think it would be a nice facial with fruit, yogurt and sugar.:) Good idea.

DoubleCrowned
April 30th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hi,:) The coconut based soaps are more drying than a pure olive oil castile soap. I haven't used them long enough to know if they make my hair like straw. But when I use the Dr. Bronners unscented soap on my hands they are all dried out but when I use a 100% olive oil soap my hands feel silky and soft.

I used to harvest yucca and now I'm not interested in driving for a half hour (gas $$$) to harvest plants and get blisters from sawing roots..:D Noooooo thanks. Way to labor intensive for lazy me. Then cleaning and pounding roots and making a shampoo and then re-pouring it through my hair over the bathtub. :o

I hope I can get the castile soap to work for the sake of convenience and ease.

I tried yogurt in my hair but my hair didn't like it. I tried the sugar too and it was interesting. But I haven't tried fruit with sugar.
I think it would be a nice facial with fruit, yogurt and sugar.:) Good idea.

Dr. Bronners was the one I used. When I'm out of it will look for an olive oil castile. Thanks. I don't think any castile soap will work well unless you have soft water, though.

I agree about harvesting yucca root. Too much work. Soapwort is much easier. Oh, there was also a tree in AZ that made fruits about the sized of cherries that were supposed to be good for shampoo. Maybe you can help me remember the name, but I don't think I will be trying that one again without guidance from an experienced user. What a mess that one made...

Annalouise
April 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I don't have soft water. I was thinking of doing a final rinse with distilled water. Maybe that will help.
I don't know the name of that tree?

DoubleCrowned
May 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM
I don't have soft water. I was thinking of doing a final rinse with distilled water. Maybe that will help.
I don't know the name of that tree?

Yes, a final rinse of distilled water; maybe also dilute the soap in distilled water so that you will have some foam for the washing part, too.

Chinaberry tree; also called soapberry. I don't remember the Latin. I know where there was one growing in Sahaurita...20 years ago. I had harvested the fruit late, so it was leathery; but boiled it for use. It did make a decent shampoo according to my notes.

Annalouise
May 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yes, a final rinse of distilled water; maybe also dilute the soap in distilled water so that you will have some foam for the washing part, too.

Chinaberry tree; also called soapberry. I don't remember the Latin. I know where there was one growing in Sahaurita...20 years ago. I had harvested the fruit late, so it was leathery; but boiled it for use. It did make a decent shampoo according to my notes.

http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/2308/sapindus-saponaria-wingleaf-soapberry/

I have seen this tree hiking. It is poisonous so I wonder if its wise to use as shampoo as some might get in the mouth.
I think I could use it for dishes and laundry though.
I'm going to look for one when hiking.:) Thanks.
I think I will find it in the mountains where there is more water than here in the dessert where I live.
The only thing we have around us is larrea tridentata Which I do use as a tea rinse sometimes (it is a good hair tonic) and some say its a good tea for cancer but it tastes AWFUL!

DoubleCrowned
May 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
http://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/2308/sapindus-saponaria-wingleaf-soapberry/

I have seen this tree hiking. It is poisonous so I wonder if its wise to use as shampoo as some might get in the mouth.
I think I could use it for dishes and laundry though.
I'm going to look for one when hiking.:) Thanks.
I think I will find it in the mountains where there is more water than here in the dessert where I live.
The only thing we have around us is larrea tridentata Which I do use as a tea rinse sometimes (it is a good hair tonic) and some say its a good tea for cancer but it tastes AWFUL!

The article you site considers soapberry poisonous because it contains saponins. Saponins are what give it its cleansing properties, just like the saponins in soapowort, yucca, and other plants that make a cleaning foam-- they would all be considered poisonous. Another nice thing about soapberry is that it is an anti-fungal.

Most of the plants eaten by herbivores contain small quantities of saponins. Licorice and ginseng contain saponins, for example, in medicinal amounts. It is the quantity of saponins that makes the fruit inedible.

In double-checking about toxicity, I learned that soapberry is now made into laundry detergent and shampoo by the company that has this very informative site:

http://www.soapnuts.pro/

There is an article about toxicity there showing soapberry as less toxic than commercial detergents.

Now I want to go harvest some soapberry. The tree I knew was not in the mountains, but was not far from an area where there were pecan groves.

Celtic Morla
May 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
I have developed loads of sensitivitiesand now I make my onw lyesoap and laundry detergent. I use EOfor fragrance in vinger rinses. I use br Bronners Peppermint diluted with chamomile herbal water, and f course CO for my hair an dit it grwing nicely I am going to try a honey lightenng to see if i anlighten my dull blond hair so it looks better with my grey.

silverjen
May 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM
A while ago I ran across this article on washing your hair with milk and honey. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it wouldn't harm anything, and it's certainly chemical-free. http://www.ehow.com/how_5282645_make-milk-honey-conditioning-shampoo.html

And worst comes to worst and it doesn't work, you can drink the milk and put the honey in your tea. :)

jesis
May 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM
Speaking of glycerin and SLS and toothpaste ... I switched to Zum goat milk soap instead of toothpaste last year and I really like it. I think my gums are just as sensitive as my skin - they recede noticeably after every single time I use conventional toothpaste or mouthwash. I have a filling right next to my gumline, so it's really obvious when my gums recede - I can feel a gap between the filling and my gums. Once I switch back to my soap toothpaste the gap closes after a few days. It's weird!

Does the soap toothpaste make your teeth hurt at all? Just wondering because I am looking for something to replace toothpaste with, but I have sensitive teeth.

DoubleCrowned
May 2nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Does the soap toothpaste make your teeth hurt at all? Just wondering because I am looking for something to replace toothpaste with, but I have sensitive teeth.

You can clean you teeth with baking soda or baking soda and salt. Also, plain castile soap can be used, but it tastes like...soap. You might find some ways to help your sensitive teeth at www.healingteethnaturally.com/

marimara
May 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
I use Toms of Maine natural baking soda toothpaste w/flouride. I love it. I can't stand conventional toothpaste. Anyways, I have always had a problem with tarter, no matter how much I brushed, until I started Toms. Last visit, perfectly clean teeth-no tartar at all!

Annalouise
May 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Doublecrowned -Thanks for the website! Yucca roots are edible, I think. Whereas, I think if you ate the soapnuts you would get ill.
I am going to look for these in the mountains and try it.:)

Hi Celtic Morla - sorry to hear about your sensitivities. Do you use the dr. Bronners on your hair?
I am currently using the castile soap in the laundry. I used free and clear detergent the other day and I got a rash. Castile soap doesn't clean the clothes as well as detergent but c'est la vie!

silverjen - that is a cool article! I will try it. I'll let you know how it turns out.:)

Doublecrowned - I am really anxious because I have a bridge that was put in when I was a teenager. (It is made of metal of course) and I developed an allergy to metal (dishydrotic eczema). Anyways, my bridge is falling out and its in the front of my teeth so ideally I would not replace it at all but then I would have a huge gaping whole in the front. Attractive right? So I don't know what to replace it with.
Thanks for the article it was helpful. There is a holistic dentist in Tucson but of course its not covered on our insurance and it would cost me thousands to go there to replace my bridge! Zoiks. I don't think that is an option.

I usually try to avoid the dentist because I usually get sick after going. I did get a couple metal fillings replaced last time though and thats good.

Marimara - I use the Toms flouride free presently and its not too bad except it has a ton of SLS. Great news on your dentist visit.:)

DoubleCrowned
May 2nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Doublecrowned -Thanks for the website! Yucca roots are edible, I think. Whereas, I think if you ate the soapnuts you would get ill.
I am going to look for these in the mountains and try it.:)

Hi Celtic Morla - sorry to hear about your sensitivities. Do you use the dr. Bronners on your hair?
I am currently using the castile soap in the laundry. I used free and clear detergent the other day and I got a rash. Castile soap doesn't clean the clothes as well as detergent but c'est la vie!

Doublecrowned - I am really anxious because I have a bridge that was put in when I was a teenager. (It is made of metal of course) and I developed an allergy to metal (dishydrotic eczema). Anyways, my bridge is falling out and its in the front of my teeth so ideally I would not replace it at all but then I would have a huge gaping whole in the front. Attractive right? So I don't know what to replace it with.
Thanks for the article it was helpful. There is a holistic dentist in Tucson but of course its not covered on our insurance and it would cost me thousands to go there to replace my bridge! Zoiks. I don't think that is an option.

I usually try to avoid the dentist because I usually get sick after going. I did get a couple metal fillings replaced last time though and thats good.

I am looking for a safe dentist now, too. Pretty much the same deal--no insurance, suspect metal sensitivity, don't want big hole when I smile, going to cost thousands but risk further damage if I ignore the problem, felt bad after going to dentist even before chemical sensitivity.... Even porcelain has metals in it, and I am sensitive to acrylic, which is supposed to be safe! If there were a holistic dentist in the area, I'd cough up the bucks and sacrifice elsewhere, but can't find one around here. The good news is that the cheaper plastics are not as toxic as the longer-lasting, prettier ones. Depressing, isn't it?

The yucca used for cleaning is Y. glauca (not sure of spelling) It r-e-a-l-l-y foams. I can't imagine trying to eat it without looking rabid. But you are correct, it is not toxic.

To get better performance from soap used to launder in hard water, add some washing soda (borax--like Mule Team). Poisonous to eat, by the way--so chemically sensitive would want to measure it without inhaling.

By the way, I don't think you will be tempted to eat soapberries. You'll know what I mean when you smell them....

ratgirldjh
May 3rd, 2011, 10:39 AM

We have those here. I've tried it too. Mine didn't foam at all and did nothing. Sadly because there are a TON of them here. Both Western Soapberry and Chinaberry.

DoubleCrowned
May 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
We have those here. I've tried it too. Mine didn't foam at all and did nothing. Sadly because there are a TON of them here. Both Western Soapberry and Chinaberry.

How did you prepare and use it? When did you harvest it?

DoubleCrowned
May 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Celtic Morla
Re: Growing long hair with chemical sensitivities
I have developed loads of sensitivitiesand now I make my onw lyesoap and laundry detergent. I use EOfor fragrance in vinger rinses. I use br Bronners Peppermint diluted with chamomile herbal water, and f course CO for my hair an dit it grwing nicely I am going to try a honey lightenng to see if i anlighten my dull blond hair so it looks better with my grey.
I have used the aged homemade soap on my hair, and liked it pretty well. Would you like to share your recipe? Do you purchase tallow or do you use table scraps?

Annalouise
May 5th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I had a successful wash yesterday by using my dr. bronners baby unscented bar soap and lathering my hair twice and rinsing. Then using a herbal tea with the juice of one lime to rinse my hair. And then doing a final distilled water rinse.:)

The lime juice in the herbal tea smelled divine. My herbal tea has rosemary, horsetail, sage, larrea tridentata (chaparral), and nettles. :D

DoubleCrowned
May 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I had a successful wash yesterday by using my dr. bronners baby unscented bar soap and lathering my hair twice and rinsing. Then using a herbal tea with the juice of one lime to rinse my hair. And then doing a final distilled water rinse.:)

The lime juice in the herbal tea smelled divine. My herbal tea has rosemary, horsetail, sage, larrea tridentata (chaparral), and nettles. :D

Sounds divine. Is your hair oily or dry? Do you usually need conditioner or CO on the ends?

ratgirldjh
May 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
How did you prepare and use it? When did you harvest it?

I harvested them when they were turning yellow and starting to get a little dry.

I tried them several ways: squished and mixed with water in a jar and soaked and shaken... cooked in some water and got no foam from any of these methods.

These 'soapberries' were very small and even though the trees here appear to be the exact same as the ones i read about they did not work for me.

We have china berry trees here too and they look similar but the fruits are bigger. I haven't tried this yet.

Athena's Owl
May 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I have celiac disease and discovered that I was getting glutened by my bathing products! I switched to gluten-free handmade soap and a shampoo and conditioner brand called Curelle. It's got very few ingredients in it and the shampoo is gentle enough that I use it on my hair. Curelle's a canadian brand, though, so you might not be able to find that exact one. but it's also fragrance free. the only trouble might be the price - a 500 mL bottle of the conditioner is $15. but since it's GF I deduct it on my taxes as a medical expense.

DoubleCrowned
May 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I harvested them when they were turning yellow and starting to get a little dry.

I tried them several ways: squished and mixed with water in a jar and soaked and shaken... cooked in some water and got no foam from any of these methods.

These 'soapberries' were very small and even though the trees here appear to be the exact same as the ones i read about they did not work for me.

We have china berry trees here too and they look similar but the fruits are bigger. I haven't tried this yet.

I did not do it the right way, but have since learned more. I think this method is from LHC, something about "foam method"
Berries should be dried and the seed removed.
Cover soapnut with an equal quantity of water
Soak the berries in room temperature water overnight. (Probably rain or distilled water)
Add 1 TB lemon or lime juice per cup of the strained liquid.
Refrigerate.
Use 1/2 to 1 oz per shampoo in 8 oz empty bottle, ahaking it until it is all foam. Put foam on dry hair, wait up to two minutes and rinse out.

DoubleCrowned
May 14th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I have celiac disease and discovered that I was getting glutened by my bathing products! I switched to gluten-free handmade soap and a shampoo and conditioner brand called Curelle. It's got very few ingredients in it and the shampoo is gentle enough that I use it on my hair. Curelle's a canadian brand, though, so you might not be able to find that exact one. but it's also fragrance free. the only trouble might be the price - a 500 mL bottle of the conditioner is $15. but since it's GF I deduct it on my taxes as a medical expense.

That is fascinating. I had no idea that bathing products contain gluten--or that external application of gluten could hurt a person with celiac disease!

Turned the other way around, your experience reinforces the warning to us who react to inhaling chemicals not to put them on our skin... nor eat food that has artificial flavorings in it.

Annalouise
May 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Sounds divine. Is your hair oily or dry? Do you usually need conditioner or CO on the ends?

Hi, sorry I didn't see that you had asked me a question. I switched to a olive oil bar soap as the coconut was too drying on my skin. My scalp is oily but my hair is dry. However, the tea and lime rinse has made my hair less dry. And I'm not using any conditioner because I'm trying to stay away from chemicals.:)

That is fascinating. I had no idea that bathing products contain gluten--or that external application of gluten could hurt a person with celiac disease!

Turned the other way around, your experience reinforces the warning to us who react to inhaling chemicals not to put them on our skin... nor eat food that has artificial flavorings in it.

It is not gluten on the skin that will make a Celiac sick, but gluten getting in the mouth. If you put a lotion on your hands that has gluten and then you rub your lips then it will get into your mouth when you lick your lips. Or if you are shampooing or conditioning with it then it gets into your mouth in the shower. It happens. That's why its not safe for Celiacs to be messing around with gluten because any ppm will trigger an immune response whether the Celiac is symptomatic or asymptomatic. (I have Celiac Disease too).:)