PDA

View Full Version : What do guys think of dyed hair?

Springlets
April 29th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I was reading through the 'What do guys think of long hair' thread and it provoked this. :)

So in my experience the men around me don't seem to be at all aware of dyed hair. For example, in my church I've estimated about 90% of the girls my age (20s-30s) have dyed hair, and none of the guys would be able to spot them. I'm inclined to think that they just don't think about it really, but also they don't really care if a girl's hair is natural or not. If it looks good, what does it matter right?

Then again, my boyfriend likes my natural blonde and is glad I'm growing it out from the bleached, even though he liked it platinum too.

What do you think?

Kherome
April 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I think most guys prefer 100% natural

pepperminttea
April 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM
There's no rule; what one person likes might set another running in the opposite direction. :p Just do what makes you happy. The confidence will show brighter than any dye.

ibleedlipstick
April 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Mine is currently dyed black, and my boyfriend loves it. It was dyed bright red before, and my boyfriend loved it. Men loved my hair when it was its natural color, men loved it when it looked like all the stock of Manic Panic had vomited over it, and men loved it when it was platinum blonde. Men loved my shaved head.

Honestly, it is just hair. Some men may like it/care more about it than others, but I don't think that it matters as much to them as we tend to think it does. My boyfriend loves my hair being up, he runs his hands through it when it is down, and comments on its shine when I'm running ahead of him. You know what? He would love me even if I were bald.

Ultimately, all that matters is how the person wearing the hair feels about it.

ravenreed
April 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I think most guys think they prefer natural.

ibleedlipstick
April 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM

This! If I had a dollar for every person that actually believed that my blue black hair is natural I would be relatively comfortable.

littlenvy
April 29th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I was reading through the 'What do guys think of long hair' thread and it provoked this. :)

So in my experience the men around me don't seem to be at all aware of dyed hair. For example, in my church I've estimated about 90% of the girls my age (20s-30s) have dyed hair, and none of the guys would be able to spot them. I'm inclined to think that they just don't think about it really, but also they don't really care if a girl's hair is natural or not. If it looks good, what does it matter right?

Then again, my boyfriend likes my natural blonde and is glad I'm growing it out from the bleached, even though he liked it platinum too.

What do you think?
Maybe it has to do with the fact that most dyes these days do look very natural? (bleach notwithstanding) Or at least they don't look like they did 20 years ago - fake.
Honestly? I like the look of dyed hair. The uniformed colour in both the underside, around the ears and crown area; the richness of colour which is very hard to achieve for those of as with dirty blonde hair.
I would go back to my dyed hair in a snap ... if it wasn't so bad for my hair. :(

Springlets
April 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM

YES. I don't think they have any idea how many women and girls dye their hair... and I don't think they want to know. Ignorance is bliss, right? ;)

Maybe it has to do with the fact that most dyes these days do look very natural? (bleach notwithstanding) Or at least they don't look like they did 20 years ago - fake.I would go back to my dyed hair in a snap ... if it wasn't so bad for my hair.

I probably wouldn't have been able to tell before either until I got hooked on LHC here. Now I can pretty much tell from the way the girl's hair looks dry, poofy, unhealthy in general or I simply see roots peeking through. Now if I was living in a more rich district where girls could go to the salon, maybe it would harder to tell. But even when watching the Real Housewives of Orange County I see that though their hair looks nice and styled, it still just looks fake and unhealthy to me. Whenever I see 100% natural hair (especially blonde, because, like the perfectionist I am, I always compare it to myself) I am stunned by the shine and gloss to it.

But I can agree, if it wasn't for the health of my hair I would probably dye. There's a kind of comfort to knowing that your hair will always look the same color in all the same lights, especially for us non-light blondes.

spidermom
April 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I heard a discussion on talk radio awhile back where the general concensus seemed to be that if you were a blonde when your man fell in love with you, he's going to become terribly disturbed if you then become a redhead (or brunette or ...). I remember somebody also commented "unless your age ends in 'teen', you have no business putting unnatural colors on your head. Men hate it."

My husband has always hated it when I colored my hair. He still does.

Anje
April 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM

We are talking about hair, right? :eyebrows:

elbow chic
April 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM
For the most part, I really don't think they care, consciously-- it's one of those "woman things" that they simply don't notice the details of, so long as it looks good and they don't have to hear about it too much.

I can't always spot a dye job, myself. Shrug. Some of them are GOOD.

elbow chic
April 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
in other words this:

Ditto for makeup, actually. Lord they'll swear up and down that they hate makeup, but their actions tell a different story. They like makeup that looks reasonably natural, not nature itself.

NotInPortland
April 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM

EXACTLY ;) It's like with the whole makeup on women thing, a lot of men say they prefer women to be natural with no makeup only they don't realize that a lot of the time the women they think aren't wearing any in fact are but are just going for a natural look.

elbow chic
April 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM
EXACTLY ;) It's like with the whole makeup on women thing, a lot of men say they prefer women to be natural with no makeup only they don't realize that a lot of the time the women they think aren't wearing any in fact are but are just going for a natural look.

Cross posted with you! Yup. I've been on the receiving end of this whole lecture about how much time/energy Stupid Women waste on painting their faces, and how nice it would be "if more women could be natural and easy-going like you. Just roll out of bed and GO!"

I smiled. Because I was wearing foundation, powder, mascara, AND rouge. :rolleyes:

invisiblebabe
April 29th, 2011, 02:00 PM
in other words this:

Ditto for makeup, actually. Lord they'll swear up and down that they hate makeup, but their actions tell a different story. They like makeup that looks reasonably natural, not nature itself.

Yep, this. :lol:

And, sometimes you can't really tell. What is natural can look like it is dyed, and vice versa. My hairstylist told me about a client who has medium brown hair with natural streaky golden-brown highlights - it looks like it has been dyed, but it grows out of her head that way. I also had a friend in high school who had medium to dark blonde hair, 1a with a natural platinum streak in the front. She had never colored her hair before. On the opposite end we have Deborah Ann Woll the actress, who looks like a natural redhead but isn't.

GeoJ
April 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
My husband didn't like it when I used henna. He said he liked my natural color better (but I think he only said something after I told him what I did to my hair).

Later (a year or two later) I was talking about going grey naturally, and he said if I look old that's OK, but if I still look young when I start going grey, he'd prefer for me to dye it.

I don't like bothering with the upkeep of dyeing roots, so I'm unlikely to dye (henna or henna/indigo) again.

Anyway, I doubt most men would notice or care.

ETA: I just read the above posts about make-up, and my husband almost always can tell if I've got makeup on (possibly because I feel self-concious when I wear make-up, and he can spot the difference in my behavior). He does say that he likes eyeliner on girls, and he likes it if I accentuate my eyes (rare for me to do), but not if I do full make-up (extremely rare for me to do).

sugarpixie10988
April 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM
It seems to me, like others have said, that guys in general prefer natural hair. On the other hand though, when my hair was pink, a lot of guys really liked it, some even preferring it to my natural dark blonde. It all depends on the guy :)

maborosi
April 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM

This times a million. Guys don't know, generally. And if they don't like me just 'cause I like to dye my hair black- why am I bothering with them? It's nobody's choice but my own to color my hair, bleach it, dye it, whatever. Although I hate that my roots are so light compared to my color now, it is painfully obvious that I dye my hair. Eck.

It's kind of like when they tell me they 'think I look beautiful without makeup'. lololol

~maborosi~

mrs_coffee
April 29th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I only care what my husband thinks, and he couldn't care less.

Mesmerise
April 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I think all guys are different and thus will have different preferences. For example, a guy may think he prefers natural hair, but if his 20-something girlfriend naturally had a sprinkle of grays through her hair, he may ACTUALLY prefer her to colour the grays than keep them entirely "natural". That being said, he may prefer a natural looking colour than something dyed way "out there".

Given that, most guys couldn't pick a natural dye job, and quite frankly I couldn't either!

When I had black hair, I used to get heaps of guys asking me what my ethnic background was (Greek, Italian... whatever...) and the guys ASKING me tended to have that European background themselves, so you'd THINK they could actually pick one of their own, instead of thinking this fair skinned, freckled girl with entirely Anglo Saxon background was Southern European just cause of her black hair :p. I even had a discussion with an Italian girl about it one day, who also insisted that I looked more Southern European than Anglo, and I must have some in my background! (I was actually kinda flattered by all this, cause I always felt as if I had a very boring ethnic heritage LOL).

So yeah, I think unless hair looks obviously dyed, many people won't pick that it is, and won't care two hoots.

I do think some guys would prefer it if their girlfriend didn't dye her hair pink, or green, or do something really whacky, but if she has a natural colour, he probably wouldn't care less.

Viscountess
April 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I've actually heard a guy friend say that the 'collar should match the cuffs" and he hates dyed hair as a result.

My bet is, should he be in a position to judge such a thing, he's beyond judging whether the lady in question colours her hair!

I've constantly told him he's a pig for saying such things, but he won't change.

SurprisingWoman
April 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I got compliments from guys a LOT when I colored my hair. Now, most compliments are from older women who are either working on growing out their gray hair or wishing they had the chutzpah to go for it. I do get compliments from guys but not nearly as often.

My husband likes my hair as it is and has always been my biggest supporter on letting it go natural.

spidermom
April 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Maybe it has to do with the fact that most dyes these days do look very natural? (bleach notwithstanding) Or at least they don't look like they did 20 years ago - fake.
Honestly? I like the look of dyed hair. The uniformed colour in both the underside, around the ears and crown area; the richness of colour which is very hard to achieve for those of as with dirty blonde hair.
I would go back to my dyed hair in a snap ... if it wasn't so bad for my hair. :(

And the uniformity is exactly what I don't like. If someone is going to dye hair, I'd rather see highlights and lowlights than one solid shade.

Malibu Barbie
April 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM
My hair has been so many colors over the years pinks, greens, blues. Browns, reds, strawberry blonde my natural blonde and the blonde I am now. In my opinion non of the guys really cared what I did as long as I was happy. I dye my hair and it is soft and heathly. Most are surprised that it looks better, then some people that have never applied any color at all. I really feel genes and hair type have a lot to do with it. Guys will like anything as long as it makes the women happy :) Men love happy women.

Lianna
June 4th, 2011, 05:27 PM
My boyfriend prefers my hair a little lighter, but likes my natural ashy color too. I think some men do prefer "whatever looks best", dyed or not.

I also like the uniformity of colors, while some variation in shade is pretty (like a little darker underside). I don't like the obvious stripy look.

About make up, I think they want women to look pretty without it. It's just a way to avoid dating someone who isn't "all that pretty" like they thought.

Scarlet_Heart
June 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I heard a discussion on talk radio awhile back where the general concensus seemed to be that if you were a blonde when your man fell in love with you, he's going to become terribly disturbed if you then become a redhead (or brunette or ...). I remember somebody also commented "unless your age ends in 'teen', you have no business putting unnatural colors on your head. Men hate it."

I think Spidermom got it right about the hair color thing. It makes sense. My hubby wasn't thrilled about my henna and said that he liked my natural hair color better. But as he's getting used to it, I think he's really starting to like it.

in other words this:

Yea, isn't it funny how men will say "I like a woman to look natural and I don't like women who wear a ton of makeup," and then you catch him looking at the lady who's all dolled up and wearing inch-thick makeup? :laugh:

slz
June 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I think there's no such thing as "guys" as a whole, who would have an uniform opinion about this or that. Be it hair or make up or international politics or hamster husbandry.

GALISH
June 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I prefer natural hair without a doubt, but most men don't really care about it... in fact I didn't care about it until I started taking care of my hair.

battles
June 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I think there's no such thing as "guys" as a whole, who would have an uniform opinion about this or that. Be it hair or make up or international politics or hamster husbandry.

Totally agreed.

Annibelle
June 4th, 2011, 07:42 PM

Yes! I had black hair when I got my first boyfriend, and he was disturbed when I wanted to grow out my natural dark brown. The brown definitely looks better, but he said he "didn't want me to change." Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Mairéad
June 4th, 2011, 08:10 PM
My boyfriend likes my natural hair best. I'm sort of strawberry-ish but I pump it up with some henna as it has browned out a bit. He was fine with that. He pretty much witnessed me turn from bright red into something mousy-red over the course of three years. But I was unhappy with color change and started to use a little more henna in my mixtures to make it red.

He's afraid of it becoming too dark a red . I am too, personally. So I only do roots unless I notice considerable fading on the lengths.

As for makeup. He barely knows I'm wearing it unless he actually sees me put it on. It's obviously for me. Sometimes I just feel better with my dark circles covered and my oily skin a bit mopped up.

squiggyflop
June 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM
men are crazy, who cares what they like..
i asked dad once.. he thought it was HOT when my mom used to henna her hair.. he was a big supporter of me using henna.. in fact he bought me 700g of henna today..

dad also liked me as a blond.. he liked mom as a red head.. moms hair is dark brown, nearly black..

no one really knows my color isnt natural.. even people who knew me when my hair was its natural color swear my hair was always this color..

and as for the carpet matching the drapes.. hardly any woman has the same color hair everywhere on her body.. my body hair is a mix of brown, blond and red hairs.. just looking at my arm i can see a red hair, a blond hair and a dark brown hair growing side by side..

now, what *I* dont like, is when MEN dye their hair.. but then again, the majority of men have brown hair.. and i like brown hair on men.. so maybe its just me liking brown hair on guys.. i also like black hair, but not as much as i like all the shades of brown..

oh and this is my natural color if anyone is interested.. it fades from the brown roots slowly until eventually at waist-tailbone its got strawberry blond ends..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/IM000030crop-1.jpg

Kristamommyx3
June 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I consider myself quite well versed in the man psyche as the mother of three boys. ;). I can tell you that coming from my experiences with the mostly male company I keep, guys don't focus on details as much as women do. That is unless it's their favorite detail, so to say. Lol. For example, my DH's best buddy loves natural red hair, he is sort of a connoisseur, and his then girlfriend dyed her TB length brunette hair red as a surprise, and he despised it! He only liked natural red hair. But, having said that, I think IMO, guys more often then not have "types" they are generally mostly attracted to, and as long as the woman's hair is flattering to her, they only see the package as a whole as "yummy" or "eh". They don't generally care if it's from a bottle or God given, as long as it's what looks good on her, and she looks like she takes good care of herself.

christine1989
June 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
In my experience, I get guys asking quite often if my hair color (and other parts) are real/natural. They usually are just curious and follow it up with a compliment about the contrast of my dark hair and light skin. In general though guys are not detail oriented at all when it comes to the visual.

HintOfMint
June 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM

in other words this:

This, this, a thousand times, THIS.

On the flip side though, I will say that there are a few boys whom I have met who knew what their girlfriends looked like completely bare-faced and adamantly preferred that. And these weren't the MOST beautiful women. Some were ok-pretty, some were average. Basically, they were in love with their girlfriends so I'm sure that plays a role. When you love someone, you tend to love them in all their splotchy glory. :p

mrs carol
June 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I think most men prefer natural.

PF Graham
June 4th, 2011, 09:36 PM

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!!!!

Hennas one thing but dyed is a turn off for me.

Funny story: When I was younger and a bit of an ass, On occasion, I would say to girls I was seeing (or sorta seeing) - 'You have such beautiful blond hair, why would you dye your roots black?'.

Nice uh?!?

Then, I started going out with this girl from Sweden with red hair (yes long, yes pretty).

Her English wasn't that good and all but after about two months, I was kissing her head from the back and I noticed that her roots were blond (very, very blond) and I said - wait for it.... 'You have such beautiful red hair, why do you dye your roots blond?'.....

She didn't get it.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of someone's fence.

- P

Lianna
June 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Is it "dyed hair" or "obviously dyed hair" a problem? I don't walk around showing obvious roots...Believe or not some people have the ability to make it look natural.

UltraBella
June 4th, 2011, 10:35 PM
To generalize, I think most men have no idea dyed hair is not someone's natural color unless it is a very obvious un-natural color. Blue, purple, etc.
When I was dying my hair copper red I had men comment on my beautiful red hair constantly. They all assumed it was natural.
I have tons of female clients at the salon who's husbands have no idea they color their hair.
My husband has seen my hair blonde, dark brown, copper red - and he liked them all.

ilovelonghair
June 4th, 2011, 11:57 PM

True! My bf likes it either way: full face of make-up for a night out or nothing at all, I am lucky!

My husband didn't like it when I used henna. He said he liked my natural color better (but I think he only said something after I told him what I did to my hair).

Later (a year or two later) I was talking about going grey naturally, and he said if I look old that's OK, but if I still look young when I start going grey, he'd prefer for me to dye it.

My boyfriend doesn't like my hennaed hair color either, he claims it's orange, it's far from orange haha, but he loves darker hair and says it looks better on me. I like my red hair.

As for grays, he hates that, I have some grays and so has he, he hates it because we are too young to be graying already. Ah well, there is always henna or hair dye :p

Given that, most guys couldn't pick a natural dye job, and quite frankly I couldn't either!

When I had black hair, I used to get heaps of guys asking me what my ethnic background was (Greek, Italian... whatever...) and the guys ASKING me tended to have that European background themselves, so you'd THINK they could actually pick one of their own, instead of thinking this fair skinned, freckled girl with entirely Anglo Saxon background was Southern European just cause of her black hair :p. I even had a discussion with an Italian girl about it one day, who also insisted that I looked more Southern European than Anglo, and I must have some in my background! (I was actually kinda flattered by all this, cause I always felt as if I had a very boring ethnic heritage LOL).

So yeah, I think unless hair looks obviously dyed, many people won't pick that it is, and won't care two hoots.

I do think some guys would prefer it if their girlfriend didn't dye her hair pink, or green, or do something really whacky, but if she has a natural colour, he probably wouldn't care less.

I agree, most guys can't pick dyed hair from natural. I can nearly always pick dyed hair from natural, there is something different about dyed hair. But henna I can't pick out. That can look so natural because it keeps the natural color differences.

Speaking of ethnicity, I have that too depending on hair color, at the moment I often get asked if I'm Russian. Are there many Russian redheads?

I got compliments from guys a LOT when I colored my hair. Now, most compliments are from older women who are either working on growing out their gray hair or wishing they had the chutzpah to go for it. I do get compliments from guys but not nearly as often.

My husband likes my hair as it is and has always been my biggest supporter on letting it go natural.

You got amazing hair! I love that color!

now, what *I* dont like, is when MEN dye their hair.. but then again, the majority of men have brown hair

I don't mind, as long as it looks good. I can imagine some guys prefer not to go gray. My bf doesn't like his grays, I don't think there is anything wrong with it though, some people just get it early.

ilovelonghair
June 5th, 2011, 12:03 AM
T
I have tons of female clients at the salon who's husbands have no idea they color their hair.

My mother went to a school reunion once and one of here old class mates had her hair dyed blond (she had black hair), she asked my mother to not mention it to her husband, because he didn't know! She had to dye her hair weekly so he wouldn't find out! I bet he wouldn't have minded if he knew.
My mother innocently asked her if he wouldn't have noticed it because of body hair, but she claimed that was light colored.

OneCurlyMan
June 5th, 2011, 12:33 AM
As a male, I am ok with the woman dying her hair to lighter/darker tones of her own hair although I personally prefer the natural look.

I dislike unnatural colours such as pink/blue/green as well as dying it pitch black when the woman is blonde and has white skin.

KittyLost
June 5th, 2011, 02:40 AM
My ex never realised I didn't wear make-up until the first time I slept at his house and he asked why I didn't spend time putting it on in the morning. My skin is nowhere near perfect but I don't know how to do make-up so the best I get is eyeshadow, mascara and eyeliner with lipgloss on a night out and I'm never without a lip balm on a day-to-day basis. He did say he preferred natural beauty when I asked him if it bothered him that I didn't wear make-up and he was attracted to me regardless.

My hair on the other hand. The majority of men loved my red hair, I got more male attention as a redhead than any other colour. Some men complimented me on my blue or pink hair but more complimented when it was only flashes of colour instead of whole head. It was mainly women who commented on my unnatural colours. I've never had compliments on my colour when I dyed it a different shade of brown or it was natural apart from my ex and his friends. His friends said they prefferred the natural and although my ex loved all shades of colours he said he prefferred it natural because he knew I was growing my hair and dying it wasn't helping. The only people who really ever commented on my natural hair was those who knew me and watched me change colour nearly every 6weeks.

I think most men aren't bothered, they prefer what they think as natural but unless it's thier favourite feature then they rather look at a woman as a whole package instead of picking pieces like women do.

Mesmerise
June 5th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I will say, I've read a few times on these forums of people commenting that their husband or SO wants them to dye away their gray hair, which means I guess that not all guys prefer hair that's "natural". Or at least...they'd like it natural if it wasn't gray :rolleyes:.

Mind you my husband couldn't care less that I have gray hair, but I guess I hate it because he doesn't have any and it makes me feel bad (especially when he comments on it in front of people!!).

SheaLynne
June 5th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I can only comment on the one man I know the best...my dh truly prefers natural when it comes to hair and makeup. He never pushes me in any direction, and has always been supportive with whatever made me happy, but after 20 years together, I'm finally learning that his opinion was the best anyway! I'm finally wearing long hair with its natural wave and natural silvers, and I'm happier than ever. LOL

On makeup, he thinks I look just as beautiful without it but has never had anything negative to say with the natural look I generally "put on." He wouldn't bat an eyelash at going out and about with me with no makeup on.

And he holds that same opinion of preferring natural when it comes to gray hairs (on me), his mom's hair (who went beautiful silver fairly young), and his daughter's. He rarely comments one way or the other on other women, but when he does it is almost always in regard to dyeing their hair or cutting very short, and he'll just say "Why??" with a look of pure confusion.

LOL I'm sure there are men out there who love something different, but I think alot of the fixing up is to get compliments from other women. (Just my opinion after years of having women rave when I would cut/perm/dye my hair....)

Nymph
June 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM
My DBF likes certain colors, ginger and black are his favorites. Aside from that, I could color it blue and he would just think it's cool.

gthlvrmx
June 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I used to never notice until LHC, but i still don't like it. I hate it, i prefer natural color or dye ANYDAY. Dye or altered just doesn't have that same beautiful effect as natural does.
Natural stays longer.

growingpains
June 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM
My boyfriend likes natural, but he would be ok with it if I went a color similar to my natural one. I agree it depends on the guy though; their age, their fashion and style preference, etc.

I also agree while many men may have a preference, it isn't a strong one and they don't actually care that much as long as it looks decent.

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM
My husband likes my hair either way, in fact its him who encouraged me to let the greys grow in. I only wear make up if we are going out but he prefers the natural look to the ive used a trowel to apply it look.

My hair has henna but I do have some natural reds in my hair, so my curtains match my drapes perfectly! :D

Joribear
June 5th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I'm sure I'm biased by history, but I don't think a lot of men even know the difference. My ex had to actually be TOLD when I went from my natural white-blonde to fiery red. This was not a subtle difference! My hair was past BSL, so it's not like I didn't have enough hair to notice. Honest to goodness, the night before he even commented on how much he loved my hair and 18 hours later he didn't notice such a drastic change! :lol:

Ashenputtel
June 5th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I also think that men prefer something that looks natural.

That been said, I got more looks when I was a readhead or a light blonde than with my natural ash-blonde color.

katsrevenge
June 5th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Mine doesn't care one way or another. He's liked them all so far.. and did not know my 'natural' color for the first three years we were together.

And most of the guys I've known barely noticed stuff like hair color/cuts unless they were also into fashion type stuff. (IE my one ex-roomie and I used to discuss hair and nails and he'd help coordinate clothes. The other.. it once took him three days to note I had gone from being an ash blond to a carrot top.)

ilovelonghair
June 6th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'm sure I'm biased by history, but I don't think a lot of men even know the difference. My ex had to actually be TOLD when I went from my natural white-blonde to fiery red. This was not a subtle difference! My hair was past BSL, so it's not like I didn't have enough hair to notice. Honest to goodness, the night before he even commented on how much he loved my hair and 18 hours later he didn't notice such a drastic change! :lol:

Yes, some guys just don't notice even if it's a dramatic change, it's funny when someone doesn't notice that. I wonder if there are women who don't see a hair color change on someone else either, or is it a male thing?

Aveyronnaise
June 6th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Let's not forget that men have colorblind much more often than women , perhaps that can have something to do with it?

Ginny Mae
June 6th, 2011, 06:03 AM
I find that I get many more compliments on my hair (from guys and girls!) when it's natural. I definitely got less attention as a blonde than as a redhead! Although that probably has more to do with how fried and brassy my hair was than with the actual colour....

In general I've noticed that my guy friends will say that they don't like anything overtly "fake" looking but I think they're talking more about the bleached blonde/hair extensions/lots of fake tan look than a decent dye job or something cool like pink or blue hair.

woolyleprechaun
June 6th, 2011, 07:00 AM
depends what the guy is into i suppose. my hubby prefers my hair short and dyed. But hes going bald and im not SO THERE!!!! lol. My hippy henna hair stays!

Bianca
June 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I have only just cut the last bits of strawish ugly bleach hair off, but I still sometimes get the urge to dye. My bf always stops me though. He loves my natural color. But he is the type of guy that even hates make up :p

Im sure if I asked my male friends, most wouldn't care, as long as its healthy looking and not too strange a color :D

Ribbon
June 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Funny story - my mom is really sensitive to chemicals so never dyed. She always disliked her gray hair though so caved in and dyed it brown. When my dad came home from work, my mom said, "What do you think"
"About what?"
"C'mon, you have to notice?"
My dad looked her up and down with a completely blank expression and said
"New outfit? It's nice! Sorry, I guess I don't really pay attention to your clothes much!"
My mom almost killed him for being so oblivious, but within a few minutes she thought it was really sweet that he never cared a bit she had been gray.
The wackiest part is my dad was a color expert for film - and would notice the tiniest changes in color when it came to photos/movies.

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Well, my husband really can't stand the girls on TV with dyed hair, and when I did dye my hair, he tolerated it, but couldn't stand the smell (which he said lingered around for weeks, no matter how many times I washed my hair)...

He says that he likes the smell of henna, and the colour- but really just likes my hair the way it is naturally (I don't think he's ever seen it natural lol)... but hates how much money I spend on it...

So my verdict is: the more natural the hair is, the better they like it... because seriously, would any of us really want to be with a guy who wanted us to crimp/straighten/curl the **** out of our hair and dye it? They should just want us to be healthy, happy women...:p

humble_knight
June 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Before I started using long-hair forums, I would have said that I prefer natural hair colour, but since I discovered how popular henna was, I became a huge fan of henna-dyed hair. I even use it myself sometimes!

Lianna
June 6th, 2011, 04:02 PM
...would any of us really want to be with a guy who wanted us to crimp/straighten/curl the **** out of our hair and dye it?

I wouldn't use the word want, but I'm VERY glad my boyfriend supports my decision to dye my hair, because that's what I wanna do and I don't wanna feel bad about it...I already have LHC to do that for me.

ladylovecraft
June 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
There's simply no standard "men prefer ___" or "women prefer ___" or any of that. My boyfriend in fact would be a very happy man indeed if I chopped my hair to a short bob right now and I would never ever do that. I also used to have blonde hair, and he prefers the red over that 1000x.

In general, I don't think men can tell unless your hair is bright pink or you have 4" of roots. And even if they can tell, I highly doubt they care. I know I prefer very dark or very light hair on men and I don't care if it's bleached or dyed... as long as it looks nice.

Signe
June 10th, 2011, 06:00 AM
my ex HATED makeup and dyed hair ...he would ALWAYS notice even when i put barely any on, or if i did a semi perm rinse...he said i looked like an alien.

dbf now thinks i look hot no matter what. I think he is more "big picture" oriented than detail oriented :)

IanB
June 10th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Just on a personal level, I prefer natural, but I think henna can bring a fantastic shine and colour for some people:):

LunaMoon
June 10th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Let's not forget that men have colorblind much more often than women , perhaps that can have something to do with it?

Sure. My DH is one of them.
Actually I've found different opinions in different cultures... mostly, if the hair color “looks natural”, it is OK...

Mrspuddinhead
June 10th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Well, I can only speak on my husbands behalf. He has seen my hair bleach blonde, strawberry blonde, light brown, dark brown, red...... with that being said he prefers my natural color which happens to be natural blonde. Did ya'll know only 42 percent of the worlds population has natural blonde hair?? Pretty neat stuff.

KatiSasha
June 10th, 2011, 08:13 AM
My DH started out dating a blonde with straight hair (me 7 years ago), he got married to a redhead with waves (still me after henna and quitting heat styling :)) The only thing he did not like about my hair was when I had extensions in it and that's understandable :)

Springlets
June 10th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Did ya'll know only 42 percent of the worlds population has natural blonde hair??

That number is a lot bigger than I would have expected. Do you mean that only 42% of populations in the world have incidents of naturally occuring blondes or that 42% of people in the world have natural blonde hair? I doubt that almost half of the world has blonde hair naturally, I would expect something more like 10-15%.

There's a "blonde map" showing that this hair color's origins are concentrated solely around Baltic regions in Europe. With immigration and interracial coupling, I'm sure the number has increased, but still, I think it's one of the rarer hair colors. Although I think natural strawberry blonde hair is likely the rarest (as far as I read on wikipedia lol).

Annibelle
June 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Did ya'll know only 42 percent of the worlds population has natural blonde hair?? Pretty neat stuff.

Is that necessarily on the head??? Because my hair on my head is dark brown, but most other places it's blondest of blonde.

moonlight
June 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I'm also don't think guys can tell.

I can't tell you how often I get asked if my hair is natural...and guys seem surprised when I tell them it's henna.

Firstly, I'm 50! There aren't that many women who are my age and don't have at least a few grays. Secondly, my hair is extremely red...no one has hair this color naturally...except birds maybe.

it makes me think that some guys just aren't that bright....