PDA

View Full Version : fairy floss hair :(

blondecat
April 29th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Yeh, hey. In the last 4 months my hair has been like fairy floss* whenever I wash it.

I can feel it and hear it snapping just wrapping it gently in a towel.

Even when dry, I can comb it without a heep of condish in it or I can feel it snapping again.

I've been cwc just to dry and control this, but, my hair has been limp and lifeless with this.

My diet is NOt lacking in protein or veg or water and I take many vit sups like vit b, and fish oils, etc in large amounts

My hair is VERY thin, at hip lenght

Help !!!!

* sugar floss, spun sugar, that crumbly stuff you get at the fairgrounds

invisiblebabe
April 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Do you color your hair? I had a hard time with mine when it was classic length and I was highlighting it a lot.

blondecat
April 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Do you color your hair? I had a hard time with mine when it was classic length and I was highlighting it a lot.

No, I don't

I did a mild henna gloss 6 months back, but, henna is strength and yogurt is conditioning

blondecat
April 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
eye twitch, dur dummy me. Perhaps i should do another henna gloss.

What do you guys think ??

invisiblebabe
April 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM
eye twitch, dur dummy me. Perhaps i should do another henna gloss.

What do you guys think ??

I have no experience using henna, but if it helped make your hair stronger before, then go for it!

blondecat
April 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM
LOL, it also made my hair bright orange, so i'll think long and hard first.

diclaimer, it only made 'Mine' orange, cause im a natural blonde. and well blonde + red henna stuff = haha

spidermom
April 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Here's how I manage: My hair doesn't tolerate towels, either. I use flannel pillowcases. I also CWC with diluted shampoo to scalp only (except when I clarify). I've been experimenting with keeping my length dry while washing only the scalp with some success. I use a coney serum once a week to every two weeks to aid in detangling.

Oh - and try catnip tea soaks. I've done it a few times now, and it does leave hair feeling very smooth and strong.

blondecat
April 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
OK, I'll give the catnip a go.

Hope the kitty doesn't go all weird on me tho <<g>>

Alvrodul
April 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
You might try to have a hard look at the products you use. Have you switched brands? Or have an old tried-and-true brand suddenly become "new and better"? And have you dried clarifying? My ends tends to become dry and crunchy, and tangles even worse than usual when I get buildup (I have old chemical damage). And also have a look at your combs and brushes. Can they be the cause of chemical damage?
One thing that is necessary to keep my hair happy and healthy is oil. A little bit of oil works wonders for me. I also do regular SMTs, and my hair loves that.
If you want the benefits of henna without the color, try a cassia treatment. That won't give you red hair, but instead enhance your blonde locks! :)

jojo
April 29th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Sounds like you could do with a protein treatment.

Misti
April 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Yeh, hey. In the last 4 months my hair has been like fairy floss* whenever I wash it.

I can feel it and hear it snapping just wrapping it gently in a towel.

Even when dry, I can comb it without a heep of condish in it or I can feel it snapping again.

blondecat, have you had your thyroid levels checked? Your hair sounds like mine when my meds need adjusting... is it thinning, too?

Jcv-Shelley
April 29th, 2011, 05:16 PM
It could either be in need of protein, or has too much of it. Another possibility could be build-up as mentioned before or wear and tear from daily doings? Have you tried any acidic rinses lately? It could also be an unbalanced ph level. Just my 2 cents :p

Mesmerise
April 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Take a strand of your wet, shed hair and stretch it between your fingers and see what it does. If it snaps too easily, it needs moisture, and if it stretches a lot without regaining its previous form (in other words, it doesn't spring back into shape with a gentle stretch) it needs protein! Hair that needs protein also feels sort of errm... weird when it's wet. (Yeah, helpful description I know... I think someone else could explain it better).

Other than that, I'd do a cassia treatment rather than henna, because it won't give you orange hair, but will give you some of the benefits! Personally I love henna colour on my hair, but I don't have your pretty blonde hair that goes orange ;).

I also wonder if there's any long term damage in the length of your hair. Have you done a lot of straightening, blow drying, dyeing etc. in the past that would have had an impact on the length of your hair?

kwaniesiam
April 29th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Sounds exactly like what my hair does when I have a protein overload. Dry, brittle, snaps off easily. Have you tried clarifying? Check the ingredients of the products you use, there may be protein in your conditioner and your hair isn't reacting well to it.

Seconding a cassia treatment, or doing an SMT once you figure out what the problem is.

bella77
April 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
try cassia as others have said- will actually add to your blonde-ness!! I love it, have done a full fledged cassia treatment and a quick treatment- I did not let the dye release as long or leave it on as long. It also sounds like you need moisture and lots of it. My hair is exactly as you described, brittle and snaps easily!

racrane
April 29th, 2011, 10:06 PM
My hair is exactly like yours, it snaps with seemingly no effort at all. I discovered I need way more moisture than I ever thought possible. Experiment, but fragile hairs needs lots of conditioning.

DoubleCrowned
April 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I have seen boxes of colorless henna. Would it be something that would strengthen hair without making it a weird color?

DoubleCrowned
April 29th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Take a strand of your wet, shed hair and stretch it between your fingers and see what it does. If it snaps too easily, it needs moisture, and if it stretches a lot without regaining its previous form (in other words, it doesn't spring back into shape with a gentle stretch) it needs protein! Hair that needs protein also feels sort of errm... weird when it's wet. (Yeah, helpful description I know... I think someone else could explain it better).

Are you talking about dietary protein?

Kathie
April 29th, 2011, 11:56 PM
LOL, it also made my hair bright orange, so i'll think long and hard first.

diclaimer, it only made 'Mine' orange, cause im a natural blonde. and well blonde + red henna stuff = haha

How did you get the henna out of your hair? Its often really hard to shift. Perhaps what ever is stripping henna out of your hair is having this affect?

blondecat
April 30th, 2011, 12:49 AM
How did you get the henna out of your hair? Its often really hard to shift. Perhaps what ever is stripping henna out of your hair is having this affect?

I didn't really 'get' it out. i didn't do anything to it to get it out.

My hair is only blond cause it sun bleaches itself. And the sun has done a good job again.

Now it's a really 'yellow' blond

blondecat
April 30th, 2011, 12:57 AM
OK, other questions -

Um, yes, protein refers to what I eat.

Stretch test - it snaps easily.

I am willing to give Cassia a go.

I have clarified, no change.

Yes, it's thinning too, time for a check up. Thanks for that hint

so far I've been using up different bottles of this and that. Mostly all natural stuff So, if it is an ingredient, it is in all of them

Kathie
April 30th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I didn't really 'get' it out. i didn't do anything to it to get it out.

My hair is only blond cause it sun bleaches itself. And the sun has done a good job again.

Now it's a really 'yellow' blond

Lucky! Many have tried and failed to remove henna from their hair.
Iíve used cassia in the past and it really makes a difference for me. Also with your hair being a yellow blond you might not notice any colour deposit. Also, cassia is UV protectant so it will help to ward off any sun damage.

Mesmerise
April 30th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I have seen boxes of colorless henna. Would it be something that would strengthen hair without making it a weird color?

Colourless henna is just another word for cassia (it's not henna at all, of course, but meh... people call it colourless henna I guess because that's easier?!)

Are you talking about dietary protein?

I'm talking about protein treatments (conditioners with protein, and heavy duty protein treatments for damaged hair with stuff like collagen, or keratin or similar). I've also heard you can use natural things like egg as protein treatments (I am no expert though cause I've never actually done one on my own hair!!).

Capybara
April 30th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I've never used one myself, but I've heard good things about the Joico K-PAC as a protien treatment.

Could it be that something you've been using is causing buildup, perhaps a silicone? My hair gets a 'plasticky' brittle feeling with certain products.

I hope you find something that works :)

spidermom
April 30th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Too much sun exposure can make hair brittle.

blondecat
April 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Too much sun exposure can make hair brittle.

Yeh I know, but im talking about 20 minutes a day.

I was grape picking in 40 c heat for 2 months a few yrs back and my hair was fine with it.

SilvraShadows
April 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Sounds brittle and dry to the max, so if I were you I would stay away from any protein treatments, including cassia or henna... both are strengthening and wonderful items, yet right after treatments I have noticed my hair is much dryer than before. Getting the moisture back in my strands takes time, although now that I am using Light Mountain herbal hennas ...all seems well! :shrug:

I just know one can overload on protein treatments when in actuality moisture is needed.

I would begin with deep moisture treatments, your choice. My choices are pre-wash coconut oil soaks. Just enough of the Spectrum's coconut oil to see it on my dry ready to wash hair.

I also have a blend of Spectrum's coconut oil, shea butter, Alaffia Hair Repair, and a drop of sweet orange oil. Equal parts to the three mentioned. I call this Coconut Creme and it is wonderful!!! I use it as a light application between washes and right after my wash I will dabble a teeny bit on my braid's tassel.

I don't have any splits thus far... I know, I'm still a shortie compared to you all!

When my hair was damaged, brittle n' breaking from the chemicals (back when I first joined here), I wouldn't even comb it. Except right after it was washed and conditioned. That helped it out a lot as the damage grew out.

Another item that helped me out was the Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil treatment. I can't sing enough praises for that product and every once in a great while I still pick some up. I use it on my dry, ready to wash hair. Let it soak in... then wash and condition. Always silky tresses afterward.

Good luck.

Ann Marie
April 30th, 2011, 11:50 AM
In Texas we have hard water...lots of minerals...:rolleyes:
I use a special shampoo that softens my hair....It sis not a "clairifyer" but a special Chelating (sp)? shampoo...here I use Ion Purifying solutions...
I have fine hair at the top...and wavy more coarse hair at the nape...the fine hairs tend to go blonde in the summer and break easily when combed...The hard water minerals deposit on the hair like dry scales..This makes hair "crunchy":-(....the chelating shampoo breaks them down without damaging the hair...
Use a good no cone detangler....
Also I use a sesame oil w/eliptica Alba oil...Get this from the indian store...hair grows fast and strong...
place a bit of oil in a cup and dip finger tips in the oil...make little sections and massage..scalp only...Sesame oil is very light...so easily rinsed with co-washes...
When done...gently pull oil through the ends...braid hair and turn in for the night...
A satin pillow case also helps...
Take plenty of Biotin also!
I also do cassia amla tratments with a bit of henna for spice!:eyebrows:

Ann Marie
April 30th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I forgot to mention to use the Chelator once a week only....:rolleyes:

Alvrodul
April 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I can't really recommend regular SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s enough - my hair loooves them! If you don't have any aloe, it will work without as well, though not as well. Hopefully, with a couple of them your hair will start getting happier.
And take a good look at your conditioner - does the ingredient list mention keratin, silk, amino acids or anything hydrolyzed? That is proteins - there are others, but those were the ones I remember right now.
I hope you figure out what is wrong and are able to get your hair to be happier! :flower:

blondecat
June 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Update :

I did a cassia and yogurt mask.

And started using Honey each time in my ACV

And I've gone back to using cones :(

My hair is now holding better and not snapping and a little shine is even comming back.

I have hope :)

[Now I just need to give lots of tender loving car as I have lots of 'holes' in my hair/ think Marge simpson when Homer gave her a haircut :/]

Time for another SMT and some more cassia mask.

jojo
June 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Sounds like sun damage, I use tresseme heat protectant meant for artificial heat but works with the sun too.

Firefly
June 15th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I agree about the sun damage. If it's doing enough to lighten your hair, it is damaging it. (I speak from experience!) Keep up the good work though, it sounds like you're on the right track with giving it a lot of TLC. I highly recommend a hat/scarf to minimize sun exposure as well. Good luck!

littlenvy
June 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I'm glad your hair is going back to normal.
Have you thought that maybe its over moisturised?
I had my hair behave like that when I did too many conditioner/ moisture treatments. Funny enough, it also does it when I use Suave :rolleyes:

blondecat
June 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm glad your hair is going back to normal.
Have you thought that maybe its over moisturised?
I had my hair behave like that when I did too many conditioner/ moisture treatments. Funny enough, it also does it when I use Suave :rolleyes:

Quite possible, at the time of the troubles I had been CWC and coneless.

Now I'm alternating cones/protein/moisture and it's getting slowly better

Oh and I had 2 separate blood work ups. I'm fine

Helix
June 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I agree with those who say you need a protein treatment (you might want to try a light protein conditioner like AO GPB at first incase your hair is protein sensitive). Protein imparts strength to the hair and it sounds like that's what your hair needs if it's snapping during towel drying.

Panth
June 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Update :

I did a cassia and yogurt mask.

And started using Honey each time in my ACV

And I've gone back to using cones :(

My hair is now holding better and not snapping and a little shine is even comming back.

If your hair is better, why is cones a sad face? They aren't the devil. Some people's hair hates them, but other people's hair loves them. If they are what your hair likes, that's not a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with using cones - the only wrong thing is if you don't enjoy having your hair it how it is - and if cone-free was doing that to you, then it's not worth it.

Kaelee
June 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Panth's right. I'm a PROUD cone head! :D