PDA

View Full Version : A silly question...

CarpeDM
April 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM
This might sound like a really silly question, but is there any way to straighten curly hair without chemicals or a flat iron (in other words a non damaging way)? TIA

NouvelleNymphe2
April 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM
There have been several "Hair Wrapping" threads, but since I'm not that curly I don't read them. For my light waves combing under a fan works. :cool:

Curlyg27
April 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I don't think it is a silly question because I do not know. Look forward to hearing what others have to say!! Thanks for asking (like that one kid who finally raises their hand in class and asks what many were thinking but afraid to say).

BrightEyes7
April 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM
You could try using large barrel magnet rollers on slightly damp hair. Blowdry on the low setting if needed.

LittleOak
April 29th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Yes! Hair wrapping :) As NouvelleNymphe2 says, there are many threads on the LHC regarding hair wrapping (with great detail too). Also typing "hair wrapping" into youtube helps, there are loads of videos to help get you started. I have tried wrapping a few times with really great results. Have fun!

CarpeDM
April 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I don't think it is a silly question because I do not know. Look forward to hearing what others have to say!! Thanks for asking (like that one kid who finally raises their hand in class and asks what many were thinking but afraid to say).

Thanks Curlyg27 :)

CarpeDM
April 29th, 2011, 11:38 AM
OK I'm trying to get a hold of the hair wrapping method. One thread mentioned an easy hair wrapping method where you twirl your hair?? Is it basically just wrapping your head with a silk scarf overnight that eliminates the curly hair? Any specific youtube videos or LHC thread links anyone could recommend?

Sereia
May 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
I wonder if that "hair wrapping" method everyone talks about is the same I did for all my life.. It's very common in here, and it really works, but tbh I never read any thread, so I can't say for sure.. I just wrap my hair inside a.. hair cap? is it how they call it?
the main thing is your hair is kept rolled around your head, and that makes the curl more loose and even a little straight, if you wear it for some time.. :)

Sereia
May 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
oh, I forgot to say: some people use pins (lots of them!) to make their hair rolled around the hair as I said before, without the hair cap.. but I never tried it, I think it's more damaging and I fear the pins will leave my hair frizzy.. but it works for some people.

Anje
May 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Yep, there's hair wrapping, which I've also seen called a "doobie." If your hair is naturally really curly, braids and twists will even straighten it to some extent, stretching out the curl.

CoilyCurlyME
May 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Big magnet rollers might stretch it out and so you get big waves. :) But otherwise i dont know.

Lianna
May 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Like others said, hair wrapping, jumbo rollers, and banded ponytails help to make it straighter. If the "original" hair isn't too curly, a perfect straight look can be achieved. My 2c hair can look 1b with just dry wrapping.