PDA

View Full Version : newbie question (finding a salon)

scottishlass
June 16th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hi there -- I've always had long hair and have never found a salon/stylist that specializes in long hair. I just got a trim this past weekend and used a new place -- they washed my hair and then (gasp!!) proceeded to BRUSH it out while it was wet before the trim began. I am relocating and need advice on how to select a new stylist without going through hair-trauma again. How do you all chose a new stylist?

Curlsgirl
June 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM
ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

(runs out of thread screaming)

Okay seriously, I trim my hair myself for that reason but if I went to a salon for it I would talk to the person who was going to cut and ask them what they would do as far as combing/brushing and make it clear what I preferred. YOU are the customer. Keep searching until you find one that will do what you want! Also, I detangle right before I go in with my wide tooth comb so it's easier to detangle and if you would ask them to use a detangler AND a wide tooth comb and be GENTLY (tell them you have sensitive scalp and scream if they aren't gently enough!) .Have you heard of Feye's trimming method? I have been using that for quite a while with great success.

Liluri
June 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Asking lots of questions, I've found a hairdressers that I want to use from word of mouth from another long haired person, but I also went into the salon and asked a heap of questions, like do you have to wash my hair. You can ring around and ask questions as well. I also avoid salons where all the employees have short bleached hair, just well because :)

Flaxen
June 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
You might find something near you on this list (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47717). :smile:

MotherConfessor
June 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM
A stylist....shudder::scared::run:

Seriously
Trust your instincts, and do ask alot of questions. Then, if you think you have someone, explain exactly what you want in great detail. If you think you have been perfectly clear and she should understand what you want - say it at least one more time and slower. You don't have to be mean or rude, just make it clear that you have had problems before and you do know what you want. Good Luck you poor brave soul.

chrissy-b
June 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I agree: You've got to ask a lot of questions. Also, if you can hold out until you've a bit established in your new city, wait until you meet someone who has long hair and ask them where they go.

There is only one stylist that I will ever let touch my hair again only because she does EXACTLY what I ask her but I haven't had her cut my hair in 10 years. I've seen a few stylist since then, and while they all do an amazing job, none of them cut my hair the way I want and I always end up going home and trimming again myself.

Just be sure you feel really comfortable with whomever you choose and don't be afraid to walk out of the salon (even if your hair is wet or if they're not done). I've walked out in mid-cut before because the woman started putting in layers when I specifically asked her not to. It's your hair and you're paying them to do a service for you so you should get what you want.