PDA

View Full Version : Caring for Your Silvers: What Has Worked for YOU?

Firefly
April 29th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I've been reading a lot of articles/web sites lately about caring for gray hair. BUT, I'm mostly interested in hearing what has worked for you, personally. I haven't really started graying yet, but over the last year I have found two silver strands, both of which were super coarse, wiry, and not at all like the rest of the hairs on my head! So I'm wondering how different hair care is going to be as I silver (I don't plan on coloring). I want to take the best care of it, right from the start. I'm really looking forward to reading your responses! :)

bellawave
April 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM
For me, more silvers means more frizz. So the difference for me has been frizz-taming. Smoothers and serums help up to a point, but the most important thing is moisture. I like heavy conditioners that weigh my hair down, and leave-in oils and creams- the bonus is that I also get some softness (my hair is coarse in texture and tends to feel rough in its bare state, even though it's healthy).

Since you have fine hair to begin with, and a lot less gray, weighing down might not work for you. A fine-haired friend of mine with lots of silver likes to use silicone serums to help with her frizz, but she usually still has quite a halo going on! So I'm not sure what to suggest there.

If you're fine with a bit of frizz, ignore all of the above. :) Just use basic good care as you probably are already. :)

Madora
April 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I luv my sparklies! I don't do anything different than what I've been doin' for years..benign neglect, brushing with a pure 100
% boar bristle brush, using a wide tooth comb, air drying, no straightening/hot curlers/ always wear my hair up, and using the George Michael of Madison Avenue products. Once in a while, a smidge of coconut oil on the last 2 inches..and small trims every 3 to 4 months.

Caldonia Sun
April 29th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I silvered very early and the texture was never any different than the rest of my hair. You won't have to do anything different until it is mostly silver. Then you just have to watch what products you use because so many chemicals cause yellowing.

Sunshineliz
April 29th, 2011, 09:32 AM
If you search the Salt & Pepper thread they have a lot of hair care tips (and maybe you'd like to join them and be a Renegray!) It will probably take some experimentation to see what works for you.

I'm still figuring it out at the moment. I use a violet shampoo and conditioner sometimes, and it feels soft that way, but I'm still getting frizz (but I think that may have more to do with discovering I'm more curly than I realized!)

I'm going to clarify today and use some coconut oil and do a CO wash with a cone-free conditioner to see what that does.

Everyone seems to agree that gray needs moisture. And it needs something to get the cuticle to lie flat so it shines! (Boomtownrat told me a white vinegar rinse followed by a distilled water rinse does that but I haven't tried it yet.)

Good luck discovering what works best for you!

Anje
April 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I'm really thankful that at least so far, my silvers are the same texture as the rest of my hair. Hopefully it stays that way!

Xandergrammy
April 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'm going to join sunshineliz and try to lure you over to the Salt and Pepper thread and the Renegrays. Lots of good advice and good fun over there. :flowers:

mellie
April 29th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Yes, you should definitely join us in the Salt & Pepper thread! We have a lot of fun over there! :D

And I haven't had to do anything special for my silvers, besides "spit-shining" them down when they are new and short because they tend to stick straight up. Once they get longer though they tame down and play nicely! But I don't do anything else differently; just regular shampoo, no oils or rinses or conditioner or anything special.

SurprisingWoman
April 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I think caring for silvers are like caring for long hair. Everyone has a process that works for them that they discover along their journey.

I think joining some of the threads that have been mentioned here would help immensely.

Good luck. Silver can be a lot of fun.

dulce
April 29th, 2011, 01:18 PM
lots of moisture and conditioning! and no rought treatment that would damage the hair cuticle-

Elenna
April 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM
You might try reading "Going Gray, Looking Great" by Diana Lewis Jewell. There are lots of hints on make up, clothing, but the hair care was an eye opener. Gray hair tends to be more fragile and dryer which can cause hair to be frizzy. She has good advice for this but I rather use natural products, so moisture in the form of oils, honey, & aloe can help with this. And yes I've lots of gray.

Firefly
April 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks so much, everyone! I am (pleasantly) surprised to hear that for many there didn't need to be a drastic change in how you care for your silvers vs. the rest of your hair. Maybe the two I found were just a couple of odd-ball hairs, or, they were just standing at attention to say "hello, here we come!" LOL

Bellawave... you've given me something to think about re: the silicone that is relevant even now, since I do have the halo problem. Will have to do some experimenting w/that.

Thanks again, all! I am off to check out the Salt and Pepper/Renegrays thread! :love: