PDA

View Full Version : can I pull off henna red??

Stub
April 29th, 2011, 06:43 AM
This is outside on a cloudy day but is my true haircolor.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5185/5653424929_6a6e250f69.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stubt/5653424929/)

ETA: And how bad would it look if I did it once and then grew it out? This is virgin hair because I never use heat or dye, but it has mechanical damage that it will be better off without....another three years from now!

bellawave
April 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Henna red would be gorgeous on you! But keep in mind it's permanent! :)

ETA: You have an adorable dog.

alwayssmiling
April 29th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Hello you are a darker blonde so henna will be very bright on you. Do a good size strand test and let it oxidise. Your dog is very handsome!

Theobroma
April 29th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I have zero experience with henna so I can't answer your question, but may I just say that your natural hair colour is beautiful and goes so well with your complexion!

If I were you I'd think VERY carefully before I changed it at all, let alone with something as permanent as henna that'll take several years to grow out if you decide you don't like it or you find the upkeep too much of a bother. If you really, really want to henna, then go for it, but don't rush into something that's irreversible!

Alvrodul
April 29th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hmmm. Maybe. On you it has the potential to become a really intense fiery color. My hair is somewhat darker than yours originally, so have a look in my album and see what colors of red my hair has turned from henna. Yours is likely to be a bit lighter and redder.
If you can handle looking as if your head is on fire, go ahead! But as bellawave said, henna is permanent, and you aren't going to get rid of it without >> :scissors: yes, scissors!
If you want to try henna, I would rather recommend a henna gloss, or a cassia-henna mix (heavy on the cassia!) You will get the good effects - the shine and the more manageable hair - without the radical color change. And I think the more subtle effect of a henna gloss would be better in case you discover you don't like it, or won't or can't maintain it. Henna does take commitment!
Hope this helps!:)

Nightshade
April 29th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I agree with Alvrodul! I would do a henna gloss or a very light-on-the-henna henna/cassia treatment and see how it looks just a little warmer first, and then see if you want to keep going.

spidermom
April 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
The first color you're going to get is a shade of orange-red, emphasis on the orange in the sun. If you want to play with color, I'd suggest something less permanent.

Alvrodul
April 29th, 2011, 09:21 AM
The first color you're going to get is a shade of orange-red, emphasis on the orange in the sun. If you want to play with color, I'd suggest something less permanent.
OMG yes! Until it oxidizes, my newly-hennaed hair (these days it is only the roots) is an almost fluorescent orange!:p

Stub
April 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! I've always wanted to try red hair but after the disastrous brassy blonde dye job 20 years ago swore off dyes. And I don't really want fiery orange color even if it will oxidize out darker. I do actually love my own haircolor too, especially in summer when it gets highlights, so I think I'll forgo the henna.

Also, thanks for admiring my dog. :) His name is Gus, he is currently 9 months old and a real sweetheart!

spidermom
April 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I can vouch for the Manic-Panic types of dye. They are temporary and condition the hair. The last time I did red-violet (Punky brand), most of it was gone by the end of 2 months. Pink lingered in the ends for a total of 3-4 months. They have several shades of red that might be fun for you to try. I've also used the temporary version of Clairol Loving Care; it comes out after 6-8 washings. There are a couple of shades of red in that line of color.

Anje
April 29th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'd be hesitant to do straight henna on your hair -- the results would be hugely, massively fiery. Better either doing henna glosses with just a tiny bit of henna (you can do it repeatedly to build up color, which would be better than doing a single too-strong gloss) til you get a nice strawberry blond tone, or else consider going darker with a henna-indigo blend. Henna + indigo is even more permanent than henna, though (because you cannot bleach it out, unlike henna alone).

Do some strand tests so you know what you're dealing with before taking the plunge.

amyhenna
April 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Dude, have you considered trying cassia alone (for dye release- not just conditioning)? I am currently moving from using 100% henna to a 100% pure cassia (non)mix. There are other people on this site with blonde hair who used it to brighten their blonde/get rid of their grays, and it turned out beautifully.

I am too new at it myself to vouch for what could go wrong: I've only used it once so far, and I love it. It makes my lighter hairs blonde, and doesn't appear to darken or change my brown. I am excited to see how this looks as my hair continues to grow out.

I loved my henna, but I'm in a mood to try cassia now. I will not be trying a cassia/henna mix ever, because from what I have read, that tends to resemble a carrot color: not my desired result at all.

I saw that someone mentioned cassia/henna in this thread, but wanted to throw out the idea of cassia only. There don't seem to be many people who use it for dye release (most appear to use it for conditioning purposes only) so there isn't quite the knowledge base that there is for using henna. I'm okay with being a pioneer.

The instructions are different for getting dye out of it than just for conditioning with it, so some people might have tried cassia and say that they see no color change. When I read that, I wonder if they have any hairs light enough to be changed by cassia, and then I wonder if they used the dye-release method in their preparation. I'm no expert by any means- I'm still learning- but I'm just writing here from what I've learned and noticed so far.

Based on what limited knowledge I have about it so far, it looks to me like you are a perfect candidate for cassia with dye release if you want a subtle change in color.

Pierre
April 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I think henna would look good on you. But try it diluted first, so that you don't go darker than you want. As to the damage, I think you'll be very pleased with what the henna does. :)

Stub
April 30th, 2011, 10:48 AM
ok so using Pandora's dye-online find, this is what red would look like. Ewww?!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7753&pictureid=101551

Annalouise
April 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Stub - cute dog! Awww

My hair is a shade or two darker than yours and henna made my hair a bright orange/red. I think you could use the Moroccan Method hair products and mix then for a color that you want to achieve.
They have a chart on their website that helps you achieve the shade you want.:)

jojo
April 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM
your hair is quite blonde and would go orange at first, but would deepen with further applications. Id go for a henna gloss which would give you a lovely strawberry blonde, though your natural blonde is stunning.

RocketDog
May 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
My hair is a shade or two lighter than yours naturally and I get a glowing-hot red-orange with straight henna until I have a good few applications built up and settled in. Fair warning ;) Check out my album to see what I mean.

christine1989
May 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
I think that a bright red would be a bit too overwhelming but a strawberry blonde or a lighter, more orangy red would look lovely on you.