PDA

View Full Version : Older Ladies With Long Hair

cobden 28
April 29th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Am i at age 55 too old to wear my hair long and loose? I've managed to grow it almost to my waist again after having to have it cut off to the shoulders a few years back when I had my stroke, and am very proud of the length.

Also, what about having hair of this length coloured? My natural hair colour is mid-brown with golden-blonde highlights although with my age I have quite a bit of grey now that I would feel better about if it was covered over. The texture of my hair is thick in the sense there's lots of it but it's very fine and flyaway in texture, and somewhat on the dry side although not currently coloured in any way. And I never blow-dry, either.

I've never coloured my hair at home and wouldn't dream of trying; it would definitely mean an expensive visit to my hairdresser!

I'd appreciate people's comments.

Dragon
April 29th, 2011, 02:31 AM
You are never to old to wear your long hair loose. I have seen some very nice long grey hair on older ladies. Hair colour can be drying to hair and since yours is on the dry side, it may not be a good idea.

Biedronka
April 29th, 2011, 02:32 AM
My DBF's granny is in her 70's and has hip length silver/white hair.Needless to say,she is an amazing woman.You are never too old for long hair,regardless what people may tell you.If you feel that you want long hair,keep it long.As long as it's well cared for,there's nothing against wearing it loose.Even wearing it in buns is rather elegant,in my opinion,you can try so may different updos.If you feel that you do not want grey/white hair just yet,have it dyed.If you 're not too sure about the dye,you can get a semi-permanent colour and have your hairdresser apply it for you...from what you said,it seems your hair isn't really damaged already..Just take good care of it,condition it well,and maybe try out oils,they work great for my dry ends.

Mina17
April 29th, 2011, 03:18 AM
In the last couple of days I've seen two older ladies with long hair. One had blonde waist length hair and was wearing it loose, the other's was silver, hip-length and she was wearing a half updo. True, it's not as common for older women to have long hair, but they both looked beautiful with it.

Belisarius
April 29th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Some members here are over 50 and have over waist length hair.

Mesmerise
April 29th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I think you're never too long to have the hair you want! My next door neighbour would be in her 60s and she has long hair. She often wears it tied back, but I've seen it loose too.

I also know ladies into their 80s with long hair as well!

cindy58
April 29th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I'm just a little younger than you and I wear mine down when I feel like it. I would not color mine because I don't want the upkeep of it.

mrs_coffee
April 29th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I love long hair on older women. My sunday school teacher had long, long hair that she always wore in a crown style braid. Once I went to her house and she came to the door with her hair down. It was classic length and I was so in awe of it.

Honestwitness
April 29th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I'm 61 and my hair is almlst to my waist. I wear it down quite often. The older I get the less I care what people think. I have never dyed my hair and I never will.

pepperminttea
April 29th, 2011, 05:27 AM
If you want to wear your hair down, go for it. It's your hair, not anybody else's. :)

You might want to check out The Renegrays' Salt & Pepper Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951), and GoingGrayLookingGreat (http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/). :D

skyblue
April 29th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I just turned 51 and I have no intention of cutting it
I plan on letting it grow til it wants to stop ;)
I wear it down a lot no one seems to notice
I wouldn't worry about what others think is proper
just enjoy your hair

Carolyn
April 29th, 2011, 06:07 AM
My dear, being 51 simply means that you are old enough to pick your own hair styles :D You can do as you please and you don't have to please anyone but yourself. Look around here and you'll find a boatload of threads on this topic. You'll find that you are not alone. Wear your hair how ever you want and be happy. Color it if you want. I do as I'm happiest staying with my natural blonde. If you don't want to color it, then don't. You'll find support for that here too.

kitschy
April 29th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I'm 54. Not only is my hair long and gray, but it is really curly. I am more comfortable being myself at 54 than I was when I was trying to be somebody else at 20, 30 and 40...

scorpio_rising
April 29th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I think older women wearing their hair long and natural (or super-short or super-stylish or anything other than standard "don't look at me, I'm over the age of fifty" sort of generic hairstyle) is just about the coolest thing ever. I especially loooooove long salt and pepper, gray, or white hair. Gorgeous, sexy, self-confident, creative, healthy and strong are some of the traits I associate with it. :)
Congratulations on your recovered health and on your hair growth!

elbow chic
April 29th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I looove older ladies with long hair and hope to be one some day!

trillcat
April 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Am i at age 55 too old to wear my hair long and loose? I've managed to grow it almost to my waist again after having to have it cut off to the shoulders a few years back when I had my stroke, and am very proud of the length.

Also, what about having hair of this length coloured? My natural hair colour is mid-brown with golden-blonde highlights although with my age I have quite a bit of grey now that I would feel better about if it was covered over. The texture of my hair is thick in the sense there's lots of it but it's very fine and flyaway in texture, and somewhat on the dry side although not currently coloured in any way. And I never blow-dry, either.

I've never coloured my hair at home and wouldn't dream of trying; it would definitely mean an expensive visit to my hairdresse

I'd appreciate people's comments.
Bolding on the quote mine
Girl, I'm gonna reach through my monitor and Gibbs smack you on the back of the head for thinking this way! Too old at 55? Oh heck NO!!!
Age is just a number, granted, it's sometimes a number we don't want, but it is what it is, and you survived a stroke for goodness sake!
Wear your hair long, loose and proud!
I decided to grow out my natural color, I'm going to be in my 50's by the time this is all said and done, (44 now) and I also have some silvers showing themselves. They are cool now, sparkley, :) , but I do not know if I will feel the same way about them as the hair grows out and they become more prominent.
To treat your dry hair, well your are in the right place for that! Lots of good good info here, saved my hair on more than one occasion!
Welcome to the board, and wear that hair as you would a crown! (sorry, Royal wedding thoughts intruding onto my post)

luluj
April 29th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Embrace your length and cherish the silvers!

spitfire511
April 29th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Bolding on the quote mine
Girl, I'm gonna reach through my monitor and Gibbs smack you on the back of the head for thinking this way! Too old at 55? Oh heck NO!!!

Okay - I've always enjoyed reading your posts trillcat, but you get tons of points in my book for pulling out the Gibbs smack. :D

cobden28 I'm in complete agreement with the others - I don't think you'll find anyone here who will tell you that you are ever too old to have long hair! If you feel great about it, that's the only thing that matters.

Personally, I'd say embrace the grey. My oldest sister will be 50 next year and keeps her hair between BSL and waist - and has tons of silver. I LOVE it!

However, if you'd be happier with a color, go for it! Good luck! :D

Madora
April 29th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Holy Cow! If you want to wear your hair down, do it!

I'm 65 and have hair that is almost fingertip. However, I never wear it down because:

1) I don't want people to think I'm trying to "recapture" my youth (like that's gonna happen!)

2) Wearing my hair down is just asking for tangling and snarls,
something I loathe with a passion. So my hair is always braided.

However, I am going to wear it down when I attend the Dark Shadows Festival in Brooklyn in August.

So, if you got it, flaunt it! But be careful of those blasted tangles!!

DoubleCrowned
April 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I think the deciding factor with whether to wear it down is the same for the old as it is for the young: If the hair is healthy enough to project the proper self-image, go for it. (50 is not old in my book, by the way)

berr
April 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I'm roughly your age. My hair is too long to wear loose, but I do wear a long multiple banded pony tail and almost every day someone asks me to turn around so they can see how long it is. I think when they first glimpse the length they think they must have imagined it. :D

PS: I use shampoo in color for the grey in my bangs and temples. Actually just that touch up root dye. I'd probably need 3 boxes and I'd ruin everything in the bathroom with dye splatter. My length isn't turning white yet. But my bangs have two huge skunk stripes and it makes my cowlick very unruly. A bit of color tames down that wild spot.

PSS: My album is public if you wish to see the latest length picture. I'd just brushed out a banded pony tail so the ridges down the length of my hair are from 'no dent' bands. LOL They do dent, just not as badly as elastics.

spidermom
April 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I think you're too old to let anybody else tell you what you should do with your hair. And so am I.

nazzooyzo
April 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM
i really don't think age matters at all, more like whether it just simply suits you or not

SurprisingWoman
April 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I am maintaining at classic because I wear it down so much and I don't want to have to deal with it being longer. I might let the length grow this winter when I will be dealing with heavy coats and things and it's a pain to have down anyway but for now I am allll about having it down.

My DH likes it better than way and that's good enough for me. ;)

I don't color anymore but I did for a long time. I did it at home (waaay to cheap to pay to have it done) and it was just too much of a pain too.

I like my hair this way.

How do you like your hair? That should be your primary motivation.

racrane
April 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Your hair should make you happy. Who cares about anyone else. The most striking older women I have met are women with long, often silver, hair. I clearly remember one woman when I was about 13 at a bible study group. She has hip length silver hair and it was so gorgeous. I'll never forget it. But make yourself happy first!

Fairlight63
April 29th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I am 66 with silver-white hair. My hair is waist length almost hip length, I don't wear it loose very much because I don't want to deal with the tangles.
Also my hair is fine, thin & delicate, so I also wear it up to protect it. I do sometimes wear it in a braid over my shoulder - that way protects it from the wind & such but you can still see the length.

Topaz
April 29th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I'm 53 and my hair is now a bit longer than my signature picture, almost BCL when dry. I'm getting some silvers on top, and I'm very proud of them. I figure I've earned every single one of those grays LOL! I wear my hair loose all the time indoors, but outside in the wind I always either braid or bun it. But indoors at work or play I leave it free and flowing.

Please don't let anyone influence you into doing something with your hair that you don't want to. At our age, we're past 'decorating anybody else's world.' If it feels right to you and makes you happy, then do it. Whether that means growing it or cutting it, wearing long hair loose or confined, coloring it or glorying in your silvers, that is for you and you alone to decide. So long as you are happy, then it's the RIGHT thing to do!

dulce
April 29th, 2011, 01:13 PM
hi-am 59 and have long hair-see my avatar-wear it down a lot[hubbie likes that] 1 feel women in general have been brainwashed by the beauty industry to cut,flat iron ,perm, style and otherwise go frequently to the salon for upkeep-there are several older long haired women here -check out their pics-they have gorgeous hair-so much better than the short tightly curled do's expected of us-

jeanniet
April 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I think if you're over 50 you've earned the right to do whatever you please. So if wearing your long hair loose makes you happy, go ahead and do it! :)

celebriangel
April 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I think you are at the right age to have your hair exactly how it pleases you to have it. :D

If you don't like the grays and have blonde bits anyways, would you like your greys to be blonde? Cassia treatments will stain your greys a light yellow, as will doing catnip tea rinses and leaving it on for a while.

(something I don't know if anyone has tried is doing cassia treatments, then catnip rinses after each wash to help delay fade, since neither cassia nor catnip are permanent)

Cassia and catnip are also very good for your hair. See the Cassia thread, and here for catnip:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Cassia is better for damage repair/volume/thickness, I believe, where as Catnip is good for preventing split ends and is very moisturising. Good luck!

jojo
April 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Heck no, you wear your hair as you like, your old enough to know your own mind!

I am getting greys through but I am just going to let them come in as they wish. But if your greys bother you, maybe a temp colour may be better, as one day you may just think sod it, I am gonna let them grow!

greygoth
April 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM
60 years old, tailbone length gray wavy hair, and I'm loving it. I suspect other people's reactions are mixed. Oh well.

sherigayle
April 30th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I know a woman who is in her mid-60's and she has had calf length hair for most of her adult life. And it's been gray for as long as I've known her. She rarely wears it down, but it is glorious. There's no age limit on beautiful hair.

Pixna
April 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'm 57. My hair is long and getting longer all the time. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. I don't color my hair -- never have. I usually wear it up to keep it safe and out of the way -- my hair tangles quite a bit when it is down. Too old for long hair? Absolutely nevah!!! :D

ibleedlipstick
April 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I love seeing older women with long hair! I think it is so much more youthful than the "Hiding because I'm old" cut. To me, it says that you haven't yielded to the people that say "you are 50, time to go short."

Then again, I also dislike my culture's assumptions that you turn 50 and are no longer a sexual creature — you are now only made for making cookies and being innocent.

(My mum has recently turned fifty, and has BSL length hair that is thicker, sleeker, and healthier than mine. Her mum is really pushing her to get it cut, because she is fifty now. I understand getting the haircut when you are no longer able to care for your hair, but my mum runs marathons, and is fully capable.)

On the coloring — DO IT! It sounds like you would like your hair more if you did, and I can definitely relate to the feeling. If you are financially able to maintain it, do it and be happy. I am a broke college student, or I would have 25 slim blue streaks in my hair. When I have worked for ages and am able, my hair will be completely rad.

I really think that what makes you happy is all that matters when it comes to hair. I mean, it may be going *slightly* against the grain, but it isn't as if you are getting a facial tattoo. You might get a snide comment or two, but a pleasant, yet slightly deadly looking smile tends to cause those to disappear.

felinefrenzy
April 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I am 48, I have waist length hair. At 30 my mom said I would need to cut my hair and wear it short. I've had "short" hair only once in my life (after being bald until 3), which was shoulder length. I will always wear my hair long, it suits me. My over 50 friend has the most beautiful, waist length salt and pepper hair. She cut and colored it until I stopped coloring. We are both so pleased with our hair.

jackiesjottings
April 30th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I am 50 going on 51 and I have classic lenght hair- and I love to wear it loose :) I put it up a lot for work for convenience. So I say... nooo- you are not too old to have your hair long and loose :)

AmericanWoman
April 30th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm 54 and have no intention of cutting my hair above waist. If I ever change my mind, it won't be because of my age. I'm pretty much deciding to let it go gray. I don't have that many, so I have time to decide. lol I usually wear it down, but I work in food service, so I need to wear it up when at work.

gthlvrmx
April 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Wear it down, be proud! :) I love seeing grey/white hair flowing so long! It amazes me. I remember seeing a woman with classic or mid thigh length white hair, flowing in the wind during a marching band parade awards ceremony :) I was the only one staring at her :P It sure is an eye catcher!

IcarusBride
April 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Long hair is beautiful on everyone if you ask me!
As for coloring, you should do whatever makes you feel happiest with your hair. I personally feel silver and white hair is gorgeous.

Miss Catrina
April 30th, 2011, 05:54 PM
You are never, ever too old to do whatever you want with your hair.

WaterMusic
April 30th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Long silver hair looks amazing. Of course, you get to do whatever you are comfortable with, so if you want to dye it, then go ahead. I would suggest that you be careful about dyeing it, but don't do it just because you think you should. :)

dulce
May 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
be careful of the hair dyes-some silvers became colour resistant ..also after menopause the loss of estrogen can leave your hair thinner and more prone to breakage -the dyes can cause more damage than when you were younger..also as the grays increase your roots show up much more faster due to the light root colour leaving you to dye or do root touch ups 2-3 times a month.more damage and more expense-if you want to dye why not try thin streak/highlites over your top hairs-need to do it less often-less damage as less hair is coloured-less root problem..

dulce
May 2nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
for inspiration look up yasmina rossi-a model in her 50's with gorgeous silver gray[natural!] hair to her waist..gray long hair can be beautiful ..

Misti
May 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM

Other have said it so well, cobden. :p

No, at 55 you are not "too old" to wear your hair loose and flowing if that's what you like. You are old enough to please yourself and let other people cope if they don't like it. ;)

I am certainly no child, and my own hair is tailbone length. I don't often wear it down, for my own convenience, but I certainly don't hesitate when I'm inclined to let it loose. Nor do I have any imulse to cover the grey -- I love the silver sparkle! :) (Though I have used cassia a few times recently, so I am currently sporting a lot of "blond" streaks. It's an interesting look, but I am going to experiment next with an herb that is said to be similar to henna and cassia, but without laying down any colour.)

My 2 cents? Please yourself. At 55, you no longer need to please anyone but yourself. (Many would argue that you never did, but that wasn't always, true, eh? :rolleyes:)

Earth Angel
May 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
you're never too old to have long hair. If age was an issue with hair length it would stop growing at a certain age, but it doesn't, so grow it as long as you want or able to ;)

if you want to colour grey, you could try semi or demi-permanant colours to see if you like it and there is a great choice of herbal ones out there that condition your hair and don't have harsh chemicals in them :)

wantlonghair
May 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
I just turned 56 and i do not plan on coloring my hair, it is brown with some white streaks, i like the color of it so i do not plan on doing any coloring to it. it is 18 inches, about BSL and i wear it down since i used to wear it up a lot and then got a bald spot in the front of my head due to traction. lovely pictures of your long hair!

cobden 28
May 3rd, 2011, 01:03 AM
My husband's suggestion was to have blonde streaks put in, but after the agonising pain of the last time i had this done, I swore I'd never again have streaks put in my hair! This was going back 20 years ago when i had my hair in a collarr-length bob with a full fringe; the hairdresser encased my head in a plastic cap with holes in and pulled strands of hair through the holes in the cap with a crochet hook. The pain of her digging that crochet hook into my scalp in order to pull strands of hair through was agonising and brought tears to my eyes!

To have a semi-permanent colour applied seems to be the safest solution, applied by a professional as I've never had this done before. I'll seek the advice of my hairdresser when i go to book myself in for a trim later this week.

wallflower
May 3rd, 2011, 01:52 AM
There is no logic whatsoever behind the notion that long hair has anything to do with age. The idea that long hair is inappropriate on older women is completely arbitrary. Do whatever you want to do. I personally think long, even gray hair on women is beautiful.

Whether you dye it is up to you, but like I said, I find gray hair pretty. I wouldn't find it worth the trouble (or money) myself, since it's an ongoing cycle once you start. You have to keep dying it because the roots keep growing out. That would drive me crazy.

Qamar
May 3rd, 2011, 03:59 AM
I'm 44 and am closing in on classic length with a long term of knee that I plan on maintaining until I'm 105. :) The other day at the grocery store I saw a woman with a tailbone length thick silver braid. I complimented her on it and during the ensuing chat learned that she's 85. She said her older sister had just recently went from past classic to shoulder length because she was no longer able to reach over her head to brush or comb it. :(

Othala
May 3rd, 2011, 04:46 AM
People where I live tend to be shocked (not always in a good way) when they see my hair worn down loose. I have had comments about my long hair being age inappropriate, offers of paying for my hair to be cut, using my race/cultural origins to excuse my long hair and so on.

Basically, it makes people uncomfortable to see an older woman with truly long hair, especially when it is obviously turning grey and the woman is therefore not keeping her hair long in order to portray youthfulness. It's certainly complex and fascinating....somewhat like me, LOL.

Xandergrammy
May 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hi! I'm 55 now and started growing my hair again when I was 40. I wear my hair loose once a week, on washday. I wear my hair in a braid or updo most other days because it would get in the way in the course of a normal work day. I know lots of women our age who color, but I'm a proud Renegray (go take a peek at the Salt and Pepper thread). I think it's better for my hair and I can't stand the smells involved with coloring any more. I'm excited to have long silver hair!!!

Misti
May 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Basically, it makes people uncomfortable to see an older woman with truly long hair, especially when it is obviously turning grey and the woman is therefore not keeping her hair long in order to portray youthfulness. It's certainly complex and fascinating....somewhat like me, LOL.

I think that today, long "untamed" hair on an adult woman speaks to popular perception of 'unbridled sensuality'. But by the time we're going grey, we're supposed to be "beyond that sot of thing". <heh> Yeah.

In not following the instructions to the herd (cut, colour, change the style every 18 months, spend, spend, spend) we make manifest our willfulness in thinking for ourselves. Older women are supposed to be sweet grandmas baking cookies for the grandbabies and rocking on the porch -- not having long, untamed hair and fulfilling untamed desires!

It's unseemly.

I love being unseemly! :eyebrows:

sycamoreboutiqu
May 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Another "mature" woman here (57 this year) who has chosen to grow my hair until I feel it is long enough. I am at waist right now and loving it - not sure where I am going to stop, if at all.

Isn't it funny though that just a generation or two back - long hair on older women was the norm, it was short hair that was unnatural. My grandmother always had a nice long braid that she kept bunned except when she washed. We loved it when she took her hair down because she reminded me of a fairy godmother.

I feel like those of us here in this community are coming full circle, going back to some of the traditions of our ancestors and in doing so finding we are liking our hair SO much more.

PS - I henna because I love the color it gives - and - I think I have found a way to get the best of both worlds, henna and boxed color. See my post in the Henna section "Henna Hybrid" .

dulce
May 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
yep-in my gym aerobics class there was this older woman [short permed coloured hair]that kept making comments such as "trying to be a teenager" about me-have certainly had my share of negative hair comments but my hair is my business- 1 love it long so does hubbie -end of story-if you decide to grow long silver hair also be prepared to grow a thick skin!

dulce
May 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
by the way all you older women on this forum with long hair have such gorgeous hair!! such an inspiration..

dulce
May 3rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Misti-love your hair AND your comments!!

Othala
May 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
I love being unseemly! :eyebrows:

Yeah, me too. :D

Misti
May 3rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Misti-love your hair AND your comments!!
aww, thanks, Dulce!

Madora
May 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
@ Misti

"I love being unseemly!"

YEAH! I'll drink to that!

Tea Lady
May 3rd, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'm almost 53 and I have had my hair long for many years now. I usually wear it up. I have been experimenting with more interesting styles, because I often feel like I am in a rut with my perpetual bun. I am in the process of considering getting some layers cut and using rollers (the Caruso rollers that don't heat-damage the hair) to put in some curl. (Although I think I will be posting a new thread with some questions about that.) So, what I am trying to say is that I want to wear my hair down more, even though I am in my 50's. And I am not worried about my age in regards to wearing it down - I actually am more concerned about the way I feel about my current style - that my bun makes me appear too old! (Note that I am not saying buns necessarily make one look older, it's just how it looks on me.) I want to try and wear it down more often.

Tea Lady

Malibu Barbie
May 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
If you want to find out how much it would cost at a hairdresser to color your hair the only way is to go in and ask the stylist. Try to find one that is long hair friendly. They have a stickylink on this site that list several salons that are long hair friendly. Ask a friend for a referrals to a trustworthy stylist. Most hairdressers that are honest will tell you if coloring isn't an option for your hair ( Damage ect..). Henna can be another route you might like to look into.

dulce
May 3rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
there are different updos as well as buns-if you cut layers and leave loose tendrils with twists,buns etc updos have a very different feel-check out people's hair albums for ideas and utube-also adding flexi 8,or african butterfly clips with tendrils is awesome-really nice updos-loose is great also with layers..

manateelynn
May 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I'm 49 and have my hair at hip length. I wear it down often, usually with a hairband. I used to color mine all the time when it was short, decided not to color it anymore and let it go natural. I have dark brown hair with lighter golden brown highlights. I'm getting a lot more silver now, but I like it.
You should do what you want with your hair! Who gives a flying hoot how old you are! So many older ladies cut their hair hair short, and it's sad! Our hair is given to us as our glory! I say, let us glory in our long hair, no matter what age we are!

DoubleCrowned
May 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Although I firmly believe that we should wear our hair the way it pleases ourselves, consider that a lot of men wear their hair as it pleases themselves, as well--and that hairstyle is a bad comb-over. Every time I see the title of this thread, it reminds me of the men going around thinking that the comb-over makes them look good.

Each of us really needs a friend to tell us the truth--like the one who goes shopping for clothes and isn't afraid to say that the color is horrible on you or that it makes you look fat from the rear. Maybe those of us who don't have a frank friend should have a thread here to post photos for honest opinions...

Honestwitness
May 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I, too, think comb-overs look dorky. However, all things considered, even a bad comb-over may in fact look better than a bare head on some people. One does the best with what one has to work with. Rather than open myself up to critiques, as you suggest, I will continue to include a variety of hairdos in my albums. I can pretty well gauge the appropriateness of a given style on me by the preponderance of compliments or lack thereof. The pics with no comments at all are the ones where silence speaks volumes.

Misti
May 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Each of us really needs a friend to tell us the truth--like the one who goes shopping for clothes and isn't afraid to say that the color is horrible on you or that it makes you look fat from the rear. Maybe those of us who don't have a frank friend should have a thread here to post photos for honest opinions...

This is a good idea for the people who care what other people think.

But I am now old enough to dress and wear my hair exactly the way that it pleases me just *because* it pleases me. I have earned the right to please myself and I don't really care what other people think. I mean, it's nice if other people like the way I wear my hair or the clothes I choose...but I'm used to scowls and I mainly find them amusing. (In my opinion, they generally indicate someone with too little life to occupy their minds...)

kitschy
May 10th, 2011, 05:31 AM

I agree with misti - I just don't care what other people think. Like I've said before, there are women who wear their gray hair beautifully and others who wear their LONG gray hair beautifully, but I have met almost no one who thinks it is appropriate that I wear my long hair gray AND curly. I just don't care - this is me.:)

Misti
May 10th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I agree with misti - I just don't care what other people think. Like I've said before, there are women who wear their gray hair beautifully and others who wear their LONG gray hair beautifully, but I have met almost no one who thinks it is appropriate that I wear my long hair gray AND curly. I just don't care - this is me.:)

FWIW, kitschy, I adore your hair...and your attitude! ;)

Mesmerise
May 10th, 2011, 06:26 AM

HOW is it at all inappropriate that you have long, gray, curly hair? Wow...some people are silly. Your hair looks AMAZING!

kitschy
May 10th, 2011, 06:47 AM
HOW is it at all inappropriate that you have long, gray, curly hair? Wow...some people are silly. Your hair looks AMAZING!

Misty and Mesmerise thank you both. One of the reasons I am a member here at LHC is to get reinforcement that we are exactly perfect - just the way we are. In the society I live in, we tend to be cookie-cutter, just-like- everyone-else, Stepford wives, clones. I just never fit in. Mormon girls just don't have frizzy hair, we have perfectly coiffed hair!

For most of my life I would cry every day. I'd straighten my hair, and it would turn frizzy as soon as I did any physical activity. Eventually I shaved my head and tried to wear wigs so I would fit everyone's 'standard.' I finally figured out that trying to be someone I wasn't was making me HATE myself. I finally came to terms with my frizzy hair at about the same time I started to go gray.

I spent some time trying to dye, but it damaged my curls beyond belief. - I've spent a lifetime growing to love and accept the person that I am and I won't give it up to fit someone else's ideal. (I'm a bit militant about it :eyebrows:)

pepperedmoth
May 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM
The last issue of Oprah's magazine was sitting on my lunch table yesterday at work, and inside it had a very flattering picture and complimentary, encouraging article about a 60 year old woman with gorgeous waist-hip length hair photographed loose and billowing.

I'm usually not an Oprah fan, but she said (and I agree!) that you're never too old to wear your hair the way YOU want it and the way YOU think is beautiful.

Incidentally, there were also pictures of women who refused to dye their grays, done in a similarly flattering manner . . . Go Oprah, I must say.

Annibelle
May 10th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I'm 54. Not only is my hair long and gray, but it is really curly. I am more comfortable being myself at 54 than I was when I was trying to be somebody else at 20, 30 and 40...

I just saw your sig pic-- wow! Your grey curls make you look like a queen!!! I'd never seen curly grey hair before! (You know, besides those terrible perms grey ladies sometimes get!)

Annibelle
May 10th, 2011, 09:08 AM
for inspiration look up yasmina rossi-a model in her 50's with gorgeous silver gray[natural!] hair to her waist..gray long hair can be beautiful ..

She (almost!) makes me want to trade in my dark brown for that sexy, regal grey! And, it might seem strange, but I think she actually looks YOUNGER with grey hair than with dark!!! Seeing her makes me stop worrying about my few greys on my 22-year-old head... :p

Honestwitness
May 10th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I just did a google search for "silver haired beauties" and found some stunning pics of gorgeous silver hair. Give it a try yourself. It's so inspiring!

Misti
May 10th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Misty and Mesmerise thank you both. One of the reasons I am a member here at LHC is to get reinforcement that we are exactly perfect - just the way we are. In the society I live in, we tend to be cookie-cutter, just-like- everyone-else, Stepford wives, clones. I just never fit in. Mormon girls just don't have frizzy hair, we have perfectly coiffed hair!
<snip>
I've spent a lifetime growing to love and accept the person that I am and I won't give it up to fit someone else's ideal. (I'm a bit militant about it :eyebrows:)

You're very welcome, kitschy. I've never hung around in Mormon cirlces, but I can certainly sympathize with never fitting in. I tried hard, too, and I failed miserably. In my late 20s, I gave it up as a hopeless case.

I am pleased that you have learned to love yourself as you are. Your own personal best is exactly who you need to be. The world already has a lot of "perfect immitations of the ideal", but there is only one you (and me)!

mistik
May 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I love seeing older women with long hair! I think many "chop it" because they see is as a lot of work to keep it neat and pretty. I've had older women tell me I should cut my hair as it would be easier. I've also had older women voice envy that they do not have their long hair anymore.

I absolutely love that my mother (56) still wears her hair long AND she's stopped blow drying it and embraced it's natural wavy beauty. I see long hair as youthful and energetic. Not only that, I KNOW men love long, healthy hair. Long hair personifies femininity and sexiness.

Sunshineliz
May 10th, 2011, 02:17 PM
You're very welcome, kitschy. I've never hung around in Mormon cirlces, but I can certainly sympathize with never fitting in. I tried hard, too, and I failed miserably. In my late 20s, I gave it up as a hopeless case.

I am pleased that you have learned to love yourself as you are. Your own personal best is exactly who you need to be. The world already has a lot of "perfect immitations of the ideal", but there is only one you (and me)!

Oh not all Mormons are cookie-cutter clones. Maybe small-town Utah ones are, I can't really say.:p (Just teasing, no offense intended) I know plenty who are accepting of people just the way they are. Course, I know others who aren't.:shrug: There are going to be people like that in every group.

I know I don't tend to fit in real well with lots of groups. But I think I'm pretty much ok with who I am (with room for improvement:)) I'm working on just finding the things I do share with other people and building camaraderie and relationships off of that.

But as far as hair goes, do whatever you want with it! I know a woman in her late 50s/early 60s at church who has lovely waist-length hair. It's not gray, but I don't think she colors it. I would love to see waist-length silver hair in real life though! I cut my hair recently, but am contemplating letting it grow again. I wonder what the silver streaks I'm sporting will look like then?

dulce
May 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Sunshineliz,I bet it would look beautiful! There are so many long gray streaked haired ladies on this forum and they all look great.

Dark Queen
May 16th, 2011, 11:02 PM
She's probably not on this site anywhere, but just today, I saw an older lady with completely white hair down to BSL level. She was wearing it in a ponytail, but you could still see how lovely it was. It made me smile so much just to see her. I'd have complimented her if I hadn't been leaving at that moment :)

Teazel
May 16th, 2011, 11:25 PM

For most of my life I would cry every day. I'd straighten my hair, and it would turn frizzy as soon as I did any physical activity. Eventually I shaved my head and tried to wear wigs so I would fit everyone's 'standard.' I finally figured out that trying to be someone I wasn't was making me HATE myself. I finally came to terms with my frizzy hair at about the same time I started to go gray.

I spent some time trying to dye, but it damaged my curls beyond belief. - I've spent a lifetime growing to love and accept the person that I am and I won't give it up to fit someone else's ideal. (I'm a bit militant about it :eyebrows:)

Hooray for you, kitschy! :cheer: :grouphug:

KayBee
May 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
My mother is going to be 59 next month. (She is not in my life anymore because she is a very toxic person) I have seen photos of her and she still keeps her hair long and wears it down. She still colors it though, but I don't think I could ever imagine my mother with anything but long-ish hair. It's never been as long as mine but the most recent photo I saw of her she had BSL hair.

CrystalStar
May 17th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I've always thought that because most older ladies cut their hair shorter, that those who keep it longer look more stunning as a result really. I think long hair can look good on any age group!

Happymoonlight
May 17th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Take a look at me I’m 52 and coloured my hair with Henna, my hair is about 66 cm long, never mind what neighbours think about it, or what they say.

Feel free to live your life as it suits you, and be sure you can never make it right for everybody.

kitschy
May 17th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Hooray for you, kitschy! :cheer: :grouphug:

Thank you Teazel. I just love this site. There are so many different women, from different backgrounds and walks and stages of life, but every single one is a beauty. There is a quality about every member here at LHC that I can truly admire!

annieangel149
May 17th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Thank you Teazel. I just love this site. There are so many different women, from different backgrounds and walks and stages of life, but every single one is a beauty. There is a quality about every member here at LHC that I can truly admire!

awww kitschy... that is just the sweetest thing to say! :) and i totally dito that! LHC is a great place! :cheese:

Juanita
May 17th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Wear it how you want it not how others think you should, It's your hair, body,
life. Don't let others live your life for you. Do what makes you happy.

Barbie Diamond
May 18th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I think very long hair on "older" men and women looks great (if taken care of)!

Firefox7275
May 18th, 2011, 04:23 PM

I don't look at your hair and see frizz I see a gorgeous thick head of healthy curls! :confused: So sorry to hear you struggled so much for so long to get where you are today, when all the time you had the potential for beautiful ringlets. :( The LHC curlies inspire me to think I really can have lovely long hair for the first time; much as I love to look at glossy sheets of hair I have always known my hair will never be that.

To answer the thread in general, the only long hair I don't personally like to look at is in the sort of condition where it looks like it is breaking off with straggly ends (as distinct from fairytale). The type you more often see on men - tho not LHC men! :D - who grow without any maintenance whatsoever or ladies who bleach, backcomb AND heat style. It's not an age or gender or ethnic thing, anyone who thinks so is too narrow minded to be interesting! ;)

kitschy
May 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I don't look at your hair and see frizz I see a gorgeous thick head of healthy curls! :confused: So sorry to hear you struggled so much for so long to get where you are today, when all the time you had the potential for beautiful ringlets. :( The LHC curlies inspire me to think I really can have lovely long hair for the first time; much as I love to look at glossy sheets of hair I have always known my hair will never be that. :)

Thank you for your comment Firefox7275. I love my hair NOW, but up until 2009, I had no idea how to make ringlets instead of frizz. I joined naturallycurly.com in May of 2009 and started CO washing and finally learned what to do with my hair that I had fried with hot combing and blowdrying, trying to get it to behave like everyone else's hair.

Atira
May 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
My mom is 55 and wears her blonde/with silver pieces wurly hair down a lot; it's slightly past BSL and gorgeous. I LOVE long hair on older women if it's well-maintained. Go for it!!

Xandergrammy
May 21st, 2011, 09:41 AM
My mom is 55 and wears her blonde/with silver pieces wurly hair down a lot; it's slightly past BSL and gorgeous. I LOVE long hair on older women if it's well-maintained. Go for it!!

Oooooh, her hair sounds so pretty! Any pictures you could share?