PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else thickening up their ends?

shikara
April 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Well, I decided to stop 2 inches before my goal length, and thicken up the ends - and I'm quite excited about the decision. My hair is not very full to begin with and I'm looking forward to having more fullness at the bottom. I've cut down my combing/brushing considerably, may try to cut my washes to just once a week instead of twice, have found a product that minimizes tangles for my last 6 inches or so, and am now using a washing method that minimizes the movement of hair. Anything I can do to decrease tangles and handling my hair is a good thing because up till now it has been a little tangle prone and dry. Advice from LHC members has informed me that typical moisturizing treatments (such as SMT) might do the opposite of what is intended if you are living in a dry climate, and it is often a dry environment where I live, so that information has been incredibly helpful.

Anything special you are doing to thicken up your ends?

Madora
April 29th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I'm hoping to have a trim in August when I visit the George Michael salon in NYC. Yaaayyyy! ! ! ! ! :cheese:

meerikal
April 29th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I decided in January that I was going to hold between 34" and 36". I grow to 36 and cut back to 34 to thicken up the ends. Also have been trying to wear my hair up more often to keep from slamming it in doors and catching it under bags or me. Using the shampoo/oil method for washing. I thought I was doing great until stress caused this huge inverted horseshoe shape in my hemline last month. It's enough to make me cry. Oh well I planned to keep up the thickening thru the end of this year so we will have to see what December brings. Good luck on your journey.

Sundial
April 29th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Me! I'm having monthly trims to shorten the gap between my layers, not so much to thicken the ends but that works too. I have gone too long without real trims and I did tell myself that once I reach waist I will start trimming more regularly to get rid of past damage and to remove some layers

Loreley
April 29th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I'm planning to do the same. My goal is 50 inches but I will stop at 48 inches and trim all the growth for a couple of months. My hair is 47.3" long at the moment so I'll start maintaining in June or July.

Biedronka
April 29th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I'm also about 2-3 inches from my goal length,and maintaining to thicken up my ends...I trim off about half inch every five weeks,and I've started doing castor oil scalp treatments that are supposedly helpful to growing and thickening.I also use coconut oil on the length and keep it up in buns most of the time,trying not to handle the hair too much,to avoid breakage.
It is a bit hard,cause every month or so I get myself a half inch of growth and it makes me happy to get closer to my goal,but then I have to trim it off..it is neccessary though.Ah well

Muse
April 29th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I will do this in the near future. My goal lenght is hip. First I will let my hair grow a few centimeters longer then hiplenght. Then I will cut back to my goal lenght and maintain it to grow out some layers that I still have. Maybe I will grow it longer if the ends thicken up enough.

Theobroma
April 29th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I will be doing this when I reach hip, but not before. My ends are very thin after a major shed about two and a half years ago, but I'm not going to start maintaining for the sake of the hemline until my hair feels long enough to me that I won't regret trimming a few centimetres.

Naphthylamine
April 29th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Me! I've reached hip length and for 2 months now, I've been doing 1 cm trims every month. That still gives me 0.5 cm of growth each month, which helps to achieve tailbone length slowly but with a neat hemline.

Mesmerise
April 29th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Me too! My ultimate goal (at the moment lol) is hip, but I'm planning on stopping at waist to thicken my hemline (2" or a bit less away). I've decided to cut 1cm off every three months until I reach waist, and then 1cm each month once I'm at waist. Although I'll probably reassess this a bit, as I think there will probably be only one three monthly trim before I'm at waist (I'm due to trim in July, and I think I'll probably reach waist in September at my current rate...) so at that point I'll do the 1cm/month.

Chetanlaiho
April 29th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I'm a few inches shorter than my goal length but due to an unfortunate haircut, only a third to half of my hair is actually that length v_v and that part has taper also xD so yea, I'm going to trim to see if I can thicken them up ^_^

skyblue
April 29th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I did that, I micro trimmed sometimes twice a month, from Jan to April
to even up some layers and thicken my hem but I've decided to now
let it go a few months and see how it grows, my last trim was
a bit more then usual, I did that on the 5th now I plan to trim again in June if
needed

Anje
April 29th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I'm trying.... But I've been trying for a couple years now. My ends are somewhat thicker than they were when I first reached tailbone, but I'm also starting to suspect that my hair won't get much longer than this. (Oh well, my mom's supposedly stops growing at shoulder length, so I should be quite happy with this much.)

Angeletti
April 29th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'm trying to thicken my ends up as well : ) So far my plan is to grow to 44" and then cut it back to classic which is right around 41" for me. After that I will probably maintain it with self trims every other month for a good year, then hopefully I can ditch the fairytale ends and have a nice blunt hemline!

Alvrodul
April 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Me! But for me it is more of a side effect. I would happily forge ahead, especially since my ends aren't really all that thin, but lately my ends have been giving me grief - or perhaps more grief than usual. There is some chemical damage, and I think my hair would be happier and more manageable if I get rid of it. So I will be doing more frequent trims for a while, until I get rid of the problematic bits.
There is also mechanical damage, and more of that than the chemical damage, but that isn't as bad as what I need to get rid of now.

Misti
April 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Anything special you are doing to thicken up your ends?

Add another vote to the microtrim brigade. ;)

So far I have done it just once, but the difference in how my hair felt was astonishing. It;s not so much that it was damaged as that there were so few hairs at the end that it felt damaged or...?

Anyway, now I have twice as many hairs at the very end and it feels much nicer. I'll try again in May and June, and then see where I stand. I hope to get from TB to classic this year, though, and I'm not sure which goal is going to get the priority yet. ;)

silkheart
April 29th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Once my hair reaches hip-length, I'll start trimming it to get rid of layers and dry hair. :D I've still got a while though. :/

Avital88
April 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I started with small trims every month begin of this year ,i only did it twice because i wanted the lenght so much!
Right now i'm planning on trimming 0.2 inches every month starting in June so i have some time left to gain more lenght and then slowly trying to get a fuller hemline while growing to a solid tailbone.
By the end of this year i want to be at tailbone with thick ends,its possible ,just a matter of time..Good luck to all!

SurprisingWoman
April 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I like wearing my hair down so I am going to maintain at classic for the summer. I am hoping that will result in a thicker hemline, although that is not the impetus of the decision to maintain.

I am not a huge fan of microtrims. I like feeling the change to being more blunt when I take off an inch or more so I will let it grow and do a larger trim for the "wow" factor.

BrightEyes7
April 29th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I am but kinda for another reason. I'm trying to grow out my dye so I've been trimming regularly and maintaining between waist and hip... So my ends have thickened a lot. I prefer to do more frequent micro-trims rather than larger trims less often.

Misti
April 29th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I am not a huge fan of microtrims. I like feeling the change to being more blunt when I take off an inch or more so I will let it grow and do a larger trim for the "wow" factor.

You have amazing hair, Surprising Woman! One day, I hope to have your colour! :D

Quahatundightu
April 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I am currently in the process of thickening! I spent so many years babying my ends (but not trimming) and hoping my hair would grow. Instead it just crumbled away and I didn't have much growth at all. Now I am doing monthly dustings / microtrims, and suddenly I am seeing growth! Not only is my hair getting longer but it's also getting thicker. I wish I'd started this process earlier and am looking forward to how my hair will look at the end of the year, since 4 months has made a *huge* difference.

rogue_psyche
April 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I am, but it's not really working. I'm following the Trimming Pact you can find in the social groups. The pact is trim no more than 1" no more often than once every other month. My chemical damaged hair seems to be just giving out whenever it gets to an inch or two above hip (where I'm at) so after the 1" trim my ends feel nice for a week or two, but then go back to their crunchy selves.

The good news is that the unbleached length is at APL, meaning that it will be gone in a year or so!

After doing this a while I've decided I need to step up my game a bit. I need to make panty hose elastics, wear updos more often, start wearing my satin cap to bed again, and be sure to oil my braid tassel every night. I might start with the catnip soaks again but they are time consuming, so...

I may also take hair vitamins again. It was either them or OCM causing crazy cystic acne but now that I've found a cleansing method that (kind of) works for me maybe it won't be so bad.

Malibu Barbie
April 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Yep, a few months back I took off 4 inches.

Fairlight63
April 29th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I am also trimming or dusting off the ends every month trying to thicken up the hemline plus get some growth slowly.

jaine
April 29th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Not me ... I'm patiently waiting for my ends to fairytale ... chunky blunt ends on my layers look so flippy and cowlicky on me and I want it to blend in better.

prettykitty
June 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I haven't taken a length shot yet so I've no idea how thin my ends are looking...but judging from the wicked taper my braid has I'm guessing they're a little on the skinny side. I'm hoping to get away with just a little dusting until I hit 30" or waist (whichever comes first!) then maintain at waist for awhile before prowling on to tailbone.

Bellona
June 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking about it. My longest layer has gone an inch or two past BSL now. Unfortunately, I started growing from a horrible, uneven, mullet-like short shaggy pixieish monstrosity. I have super thick hair down to about shoulder length, and then the razored ends/bad layers are still there. It looks ridiculous! I was going to wait until I got to waist, but I don't know. I have started to microtrim a lot more because the ends are sort of getting on my nerves.

squiggyflop
June 9th, 2011, 09:57 PM
im constantly thickening my ends..