PDA

View Full Version : Terressentials

Kittybe
April 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
For those of you who have used both, do you prefer Terressentials hair wash or Morrocco Method, and why? I know they're not quite the same but I'm interested in using clay-based cleansers and these seem to be the two most popular.

Thanks!

Kittybe

Eboshi
April 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I've tried them both and prefer Morrocco Method. Both product lines talk about a "detox" period in which the hair might be initially unruly in response to their product.

I had been no-cones, no sulfates for at least a year and encountered no problems with MM. The Terressentials however resulted in matted hair that I could not get a comb through. Ugh, I tried it a few more times and my hair just looked unclean, stringy at the roots and it continued to clump up and matt right after a wash.

Some people love Terressentials though, YMMV.

Kittybe
April 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I've tried them both and prefer Morrocco Method. Both product lines talk about a "detox" period in which the hair might be initially unruly in response to their product.

I had been no-cones, no sulfates for at least a year and encountered no problems with MM. The Terressentials however resulted in matted hair that I could not get a comb through. Ugh, I tried it a few more times and my hair just looked unclean, stringy at the roots and it continued to clump up and matt right after a wash.

Some people love Terressentials though, YMMV.
When you used Morrocco Method, did you use any of the conditioners, or just the shampoos?

Flaxen
April 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I've tried both, and Morrocco Method wins, hands down. I never did get past the adjustment period with Terressentials because I ran out of the sample size bottles I ordered.

I know MM has clay in it, but the two products really aren't similar as far as texture goes. MM isn't that different from traditional shampoo. It's like a concentrated liquid shampoo. It lathers like liquid shampoo, albeit one of the natural shampoos that doesn't have gobs of lather. Terressentials, on the other hand, is like smearing thin mud in your hair.

I had problems with dryness with MM, but I think I could work around that if I tried it again, now that I know my hair better. I would try it again, too, if I weren't so chea...erm, frugal (well, when it comes to shampoo, anyway ;) ).

ktani
April 4th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Flaxen

I have read on the MM site that people had problems with MM darkening lighter shades of hair colour.

That could be a bonus for some.

How did it work on your hair colour wise?

Flaxen
April 4th, 2008, 07:59 PM
ktani, I forgot all about that! Yes, it was for that reason that I only tried Fire and Air. Their ingredients seemed the least likely to darken. I know the shampoos have been reformulated at least once since I tried them, but with the version I tried, I didn't notice any color change with those two.

ktani
April 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Flaxen

Thank you

cutenappygrl
April 4th, 2008, 10:53 PM
really good thread - i was always wondering about mm b/c i tried terressential and hated it - i had to use a lot of it to get it to work - and even then i added baking soda to it to make it clean better. so i assumed mm would be the same - but since it has yucca root in it - it probably works better at cleaning.

faeflame
April 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I've used Terressentials and loved it. The only problem I found with this brand was how long I had to wait for it to arrive after ordering it, sometimes months. I ended up just ordering Rhassoul clay from Rose Mountain Herbs and making my own cleanser. Shipping is faster, it's tons cheaper and I can control the scent or lack of by adding my own essential oils or not. Clay cleansers do have a break in period where your hair can feel weird, so give it time before you decide if it is working for you.

Shell
April 4th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I was never able to adjust to TE and had terrible static. TE also has a lot of EOs in it (mine was peppermint). I liked MM (only the Earth has clay by the way), and it did make my hair a bit darker and redder, but that may have just been a trend for my hair and not the product. I didn't like the conditioners much, as I have very dry hair. I really liked the earthy smells. I have a little left in the cupboard, I might just try again. It's expensive, but they ship very fast (unlike TE).

ktani
April 5th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Shell

When my hair was very dry a few years ago, it picked up some colour from any product I used, especially darker ones, even though the the products were not designed to deposit colour.

My hair was porous.

Shell
April 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Shell

When my hair was very dry a few years ago, it picked up some colour from any product I used, especially darker ones, even though the the products were not designed to deposit colour.

My hair was porous.

The funny thing is, my hair is not porous. It's very hard to even get wet; sometimes in the shower I feel like a duck! Plus it takes forever for it to dry. I think all of the extra oils made my hair darker, plus I think that my hair is just changing naturally right now, and getting redder. I also tend to think that commercial shampoos have ingredients that lighten/blue hair so that people with blonde--particularly bleached blonde--hair will not get "brassy." So that in the process of my switching to natural, herbal, and homemade products, I'm getting more red, which appears to be natural for my hair.

Sorry for the hijack.

Kittybe
April 5th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Indeed, I just went to the Morrocco Method website and Earth is the only one with clay.

Quite a number of years ago I tried Terressentials and I seem to remember liking one quite well, maybe the Sultry Spice?, and one not so much, perhaps the Lavender? The details are fuzzy. About a year after my first trial I wanted to purchase some more samples and I remember that the shipping cost to Canada was crazy. MM was, I thought, a similar product. But after now really comparing the two, they seem like completely different products.

Faeflame, what is your recipe for rhassoul-based hair wash? That sounds really interesting and, like you say, economical.

wonderlywroughte
April 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I also prefer the Morrocco Method to Terressentials. I had a sample of Terressentials and it was not enough to get me through the detox period. My hair was HUGE, my waves/curls were undefined, and it felt very odd and thick. I couldn't even comb it. It wasn't even like it was knotty, it was just...coated feeling. And no amount of rinsing got rid of it.

But, with certain MM shampoos, I could go productless and have GREAT hair. My favorites were the Fire and Water.

Alaskanheart
April 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I too got the samples of terressentials, I thought it felt like glue in my hair, and my hair didn't get clean, but I know it wasn't enough to get through the transition, but it was just icky to me.

I used MM a few times with pretty good results especially with fire, water,.

I use the chi conditioner, even if I'm not using MM exclusively and I love it.

I just ordered a shipment and washed today with fire, and my hair is drying lovely, and it smells soooo yumm.

I think I will be able to stretch this shipment out, because this time Ive been going sulfate, and silicon free for the most part for awhile, and Ive been able to stretch my washes to 2 times a week.Plus I dilute it quite a lot, last time I didn't know if I was suppose to do that or not.

littlebabywulf
June 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I apologize if I posted this on the wrong board; I wasn't sure if it should go here or on the Conventional Products board because this doesn't seem conventional.

I'm a huge fan of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. Last night, he went to a company and helped them make mud shampoo.

It doesn't have any surfactants or cones or pretty much anything in it, so it caught my attention. Has anyone tried it? It seems interesting, and I'm sure I'll try it at some point. Though it probably won't be until we've moved; I have enough hair stuff to move as is! :)

http://www.terressentials.com/haircare.html

Jeni
June 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I love Mike, he is my future husband, whether he likes it or not.

SeaPhoenix
June 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I tried that stuff back in either 2004 or 2005... I really did want to love it, but that was not to be. It left my hair so incredibly dry and snarled. No matter whether I tried a follow up vinegar rinse or not (it should be noted that soap bar shampoos also leave my hair very snarled and dry, and even greasy too sometimes). Heck - I even stumbled across an old bottle of terressentials while unpacking from the move here... Thought I'd give it a try again since my hair seems to like products now that it did not in the past. No luck though - still has the same effect... really dry and snarled.
It might work for someone else though... just as shampoo bars work for other people.

Anje
June 10th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Interesting. Sounds like it's a Rhassoul clay solution with oils. There's actually a thread in the herbal haircare section on cleaning hair with clay right now.

SeaPhoenix
June 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yup! It did have that clay in it, as well as some herbal extracts, and essential oils.

littlebabywulf
June 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Bummer about it being drying and tangling. I haven't had great luck with shampoo bars, either. And my hair seems to hold the vinegar rinse smell even when it's dry. :rolleyes:

And I'm with Jeni. My husband might would have some competition if Mike came knockin' at my door. :wub:

littlebabywulf
June 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Darn. :wub: isn't in our smilies, that's from my other board.

http://209.85.12.237/3701/70/0/e5000494//e5000494.gif

That's what it should have been. :)

saracuda
June 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Mike is pretty much all that, isn't he? :)

talullah
June 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I love Mike. :inlove:

I've seen so many episodes of that show; I can't believe I missed a hair one. :silly:

Anouk
June 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Jeni, littlebabywulf, saracuda, tallulah, no fair! I like Mike too! You must share! :eyebrows:

Can't believe I missed a hair show too.

PseudoScot
June 10th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Another Mike Rowe fan here!! Interesting about the shampoo... but back to Mike.... LOL ;-)

Jeni
June 10th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I like a man who can get dirty as h*ll and still be funny. Also he has a nice voice...I am a humanitarian, I would be willing to share him once a month...maybe.

PseudoScot
June 10th, 2008, 11:18 PM
...I am a humanitarian, I would be willing to share him once a month...maybe.

:spitting: That made me laugh! A humanitarian.... :rollin:

Patrycja
June 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Okie doke.I'm in the middle of watching Dirty Jobs(I love me some Mike Rowe)and he's at this company right now that makes organic body/hair care products.The prices are a little bit pricey IMO but they do have a option to buy trail sizes.All the ingrediants are organic and so far,watching the show,they seem like a great company to look more into.

Here's the website:
http://www.terressentials.com

Riot Crrl
June 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hmm, they only have one hair product (different scents) and it's mostly aloe vera juice + clay.

manderly
June 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hahahaha, I was watching that episode too and hopped online to look at their products. Honestly, it looks like MUD. Expensive MUD

Patrycja
June 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
but his hair was so fluffy afterwards Manderly!! :lol: LMAO!!

Riot Crrl
June 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM
A lot of people do like washing their hair with clay and get good results. But, this product would be pretty easy to reverse engineer for much cheaper.

Flaxen
June 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Yup, make your own and save a lot of money. I ran out of the sample sizes before getting through the adjustment period. Terressentials is basically three ingredients: micronized rhassoul clay, herbal infusion (aka water) and EOs.

violeteyes
May 9th, 2010, 09:42 PM
This company, Terressentials, has these hair products that are quite different than anything I have ever seen before. Nothing fake or chemically "created" is used in the products and I am thinking of trying them out. Anyone heard of them or used them before? Here's the url to the hair product page :D- http://www.terressentials.com/haircare.html

Quixii
May 9th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Huh. Interesting.
I have to admit, it looks kinda gross. But if it really works... :shrug:
I don't think I could convince my mom to let me order a couple bottles of "mud" online, though.

mellie
May 10th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Interesting! So it seems to be basically aloe vera juice and clay, with some added plant extracts.

I tried bentonite clay washing with vinegar rinses, but after a few days I got greasy. I wonder if these would be the same, I'm very curious!

jivete
May 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I used them for a little while. Liked it okay. The clay can be drying. I didn't keep it up because there are other methods that work the same that aren't as expensive. This wash method reminds me most of washing with shikakai.

violeteyes
May 10th, 2010, 04:03 PM
jivete: How were your experiences with other methods like this one? And, more importantly, what were they? haha

lovelylaura
September 23rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
hahaha! Last time I went to call myself "cheap" a friend corrected me and said, "FRUGAL"