PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Hair Suggestions

angelthadiva
April 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I've recently cut about 6" off the ends, so my length is at TBL. I can do just about any style, but what would look the best under a graduation cap?

**Unless I do a very low bun, most updo styles are out. I was considering some type of braid or just down and loose.

Suggestions? My department's ceremony is tomorrow night and the real graduation will be on Saturday.

Remyy
April 28th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I think keeping your hair down would be beautiful, graduation is definitely the time to be showing off length :)

Annie Fulton
April 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I don't know the exact name but a triple braid would be pretty down the back. Like where you divide the hair into three sections and then braid each section. Then, you make one big braid with the smaller, braided sections. Hope that made sense. ;)

|Xei
April 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
What about curls of some sort? You can use rollers, do rag curls...or maybe braid waves?
With most graduation capes being pretty straight and shapeless, I find that a more textured hairstyle can give a nice contrast.

teela1978
April 28th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Down. Its prettier that way and you want to look good in the pictures :)

prosperina
April 28th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'm going to wear mine down, but I'm also considering a single braid. I'm not too concerned about it though, just irritated by my schools colors! I hate marroon!

Roseate
April 28th, 2011, 10:41 PM
If you like braids, maybe a braided half-up? Then you could show off your braiding skills as well as your length, and sometimes half-ups work better than all down with those grad caps. I found my cap made my hair stick out over my ears if I tried to wear the front down.

Congratulations on your graduation!

Sundial
April 29th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I suggest wearing it down too since it seems that you trimmed it to a length where it shouldn't get in your way as much as it did before.

Or if you need it contained, the earlier suggestions about braids is great :p you can even put the braids up into a bun once you are done. A rope braid or fishtail braid will be interesting too, and you can put the rope braid up into a pretty rose bun

Lippytoes
April 29th, 2011, 02:39 AM
The half-up suggestions sound good - you could do "maiden braids", so most of your hair would be down, but it wouldn't get in your face as much.

Dragon
April 29th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I vote down as well.

Yozhik
April 29th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Yay! Congratulations on your impending graduation! :flower:

I'd suggest wearing it down or in a half-up. Or a nice big fat braid to show off the length. :)

Unfortunately, when I graduated I had just-touching shoulder length hair, which wasn't very flattering. And now I have those photos immortalized . . . >.<

noelgirl
April 29th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I like half-ups under graduation caps - it shows off length, but you don't get hat head after you take the cap off. Although when I did that for my undergrad graduation, I had growing-out bangs at the time that escaped, and managed to get in my face right at the moment I was shaking hands with the dean. My mom still gives me a hard time about that! "And you show up with your hair in your face." "Well, it didn't start out that way!"

Biedronka
April 29th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Graduation is a special occassion!Personally I'd leave it down and straight to show off the length.or you can do rag curls,they look pretty amazing.

Nightshade
April 29th, 2011, 07:17 AM
We did a Victorian Updo (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/victorian-updo/)on my sister and I think it looked very nice. Her hair is iii and I think it was about TB at the time.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_qbGfxZc8SsY/Tbq6ZoaYboI/AAAAAAAABdo/KmqCo3MJnuw/VictorianGraduation.jpg

spitfire511
April 29th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I was going to vote for down or half-up as well, but Nightshade made me doubt with that gorgeous braided up-do! :) I can't wait to see what you choose!

growingpains
April 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Down with sockbun curls!!

angelthadiva
May 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Thank you everyone for the congratulations as well as ideas!

I've been doing the updo challenge for a few years now so I was kind of at a loss for what to do considering the idea of a cap friendly do.

I had two ceremonies, one was just for our department as a recognition. So I used Friday night as my trial run. I opted for a slight half up. Since I have a natural part off to the side, I simply took the hair above the ear to the part and pulled it back in a tiny pony and topsy tailed it and repeated the same on the other side. The rest of my hair I just left down. I did not have an issue with my cap coming off or anything until my mother head butted me toward the end of the evening.

For Saturday, I went with the same overall style, but I did sleep in curlers so the ends were curled...BTW, neither time did I have cap head with this style :cheese:

VintageDresses
May 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
I think a French braid would be really pretty.

Lunnafindel
May 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I did two french braids looped up and attached to the opposite side of the head and then wove ribbons through them. It looked great but I didn't get a picture until after the ceremony, by which time it was sort of messy. here it is anyway:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5462&pictureid=103595
congratz to everyone else who graduated!!

TheBluffs
May 24th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Wear it down, to show off all your hard work in the classrom, and your hair! ;)

Tressie
May 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM
This is late, but sincere congratulations on your graduation!! :blossom: I know your hair was lovely the way you decided to wear it! My now totally moot vote was: LOOSE! :flower: You did wear it "loose" for the most part! (o:

Panth
May 25th, 2011, 03:12 AM
For mine in July I'm yo-yoing between loose or this:

We did a Victorian Updo (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/victorian-updo/)on my sister and I think it looked very nice. Her hair is iii and I think it was about TB at the time.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_qbGfxZc8SsY/Tbq6ZoaYboI/AAAAAAAABdo/KmqCo3MJnuw/VictorianGraduation.jpg

I love my hair loose and, yes, it is a great way to show it off. I'm just not too sure that it won't be all piecy by the time I actually stand up. Also, I have quite bad taper...

The victorian updo is gorgeous ... but it doesn't have the same shock factor as loose does. Although, I suppose there's many people who'd just think my hair loose needs cutting and is too long (because of the fairytails).