PDA

View Full Version : I almost got you, crown Braid!

AnqeIicDemise
April 28th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I almost did! I just realized the hair is too loose but I finally got it! :D

Well. Sort of. I noticed I was making a *French* braid instead of a dutch braid and that's why I found it a little easier to gather hair but harder to twist my hands around. -stares at the pictures- .

I think I shall try again with a dutch braid and see how that goes.

AnqeIicDemise
April 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Okay. I give up for tonight. This is driving me crazy. I've undone it like six times all because I keep *Frenching* at some point.

I start off with a Dutch braid.. and somewhere when I'm to be flipping the braid over and above my head, I start French braiding.

And just when I think I have it, I find a loose chunk of hair hanging. :( I'll post pictures of my failures in a bit. I need to let my arms rest! (Good work out for the day, though!)

Qadupae
April 28th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Aw, Angelic :( Its ok, I have the same problem with the French braid invading my hair designs

Remyy
April 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM
For some reason I found it easier to make a dutch braid than a french braid. Ever since I was younger I naturally dutch braided my hair, it took me a while to realize that if you invert that braid it becomes a french braid :).

Anyway, keep at it! It takes a while to get. Good luck!

Jenn of Pence
April 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM
>sigh< I need to be not so lazy and try a crown braid sometime. It just sounds so complicated!

AnqeIicDemise
April 29th, 2011, 01:25 AM
And here you go:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7551&pictureid=101450

I would have posted the picture of the back but the hair cleavage embarasses me a lot. I tried separating half my hair to keep it from getting tangled and I ended up with a hair butt crack.

Madora
April 29th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Yes, the French braid - whether you're doing it in the underhand method (i.e. "Dutch" variation) or overhand (the "English" method) can drive you nuts!

At first, I always had trouble keeping the sections that I added to the outside of the braid in the same thickness. The left outside bunch of hair might be too thick while the right outside hair lacked enough thickness...in other words, the braid looked uneven.

I found it just boils down to practicing until your fingers become accustomed to the motions and the feel of the individual sections -- and being sure that each of the sections is always free from tangles. I paused after each addition of hair to the braid and pulled my fingers through all the strands to make sure they were tangle free.

Being sure that you've added ALL the hair into the braid means you have to check your nape area to make sure there is no left over hair that hasn't been braided in. Sometimes you just don't feel it..but a glance in the mirror shows what you missed.

French braiding your hair when it's slightly damp also helps a lot!

AnqeIicDemise
April 29th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Yes, I did notice it is easier to braid around the head when the hair is damp... I just keep switching around at certain parts and it makes it frustrating.. though I am SURE I can rock the twisty braid around. It is just not what I want.

I want a beautiful crown braid like the one you have, and dangit, I'll get it! (My mom used to do it for me as a little girl and it was my favorite style. It kept my hair out of my face, my neck cool and it always looked classy. :D)

Melanie Marie
April 29th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I'm still struggling with this one. I just need to PRACTICE. :rolleyes:

Lippytoes
April 29th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Aaah, crown braid! My nemesis!

Well done for getting it to work. I haven't tried for ages because the last time was such fail :D

skyblue
April 29th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Oh lol me too! I was trying the twin dutch braids then I wanted to gather it all and make one braid in the back I kept starting off with the dutch and ending with a french the results were really funny!
Your crown braid looked awesome! Congrats!

bettylibertine
April 29th, 2011, 04:07 AM
You inspired me to try. Got it, but my silly layers keep poking out lol.

elbow chic
April 29th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I am having the exact same issue. It's a tricksy one, that crown braid.

You know what I'm doing? wearing it to bed every night. So basically no matter how craptastic it looks, at least it's "tucked in" for the night and I just sleep on it. Bonus: it gives great root volume+braid waves in the morning. :laugh:

I'm hoping that if I keep up the nightly crown-braiding that one night I'll surprise myself by making a nice one. (and they ARE improving over the last week!)

That's how I learned to french and dutch braid to begin with.

CurlyZ
April 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I'm so envy!
Can anyone tell me how long hair needs to be for a proper crown braid?

elbow chic
April 29th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Yours is actually probably about right, CurlyZ, assuming you don't have tons of layering.

I've only got three inches on you and my leftover "tail" is getting almost too long to tuck into the crown as neatly as I'd like.