PDA

View Full Version : My used to be straight but....

Lildove
April 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
some how changed when I wasn't looking. :confused: I'm not sure how or when it got this way but I'm curious if it will change back to straight. I really hope not because I'm enjoying my new found waves.;) I know that changes like this can be hormone related like pregnancy or puberty but neither of those have happened recently. I'm almost 30 years old and the last child I had was 3 years ago so I'm not sure what happened along the way.

You might be wondering why I hadn't noticed my hair curling which is a good question. Well, I have been using cone laden products for years and hadn't clarified the whole time I used them. :o My hair was extremely limp and straight because of all the product build up. The only clue I had that something was different about my hair was that it started to frizz which was something it had never done before. Needless to say, I was shocked to find waves in my hair that I never knew existed.

My next question is what do you think my hair type is now after I clarified? My pictures should be in my album if I uploaded them right. I did use conditioner and oils right after I washed so the results might not be 100% accurate but I'm looking for a general guess at this point. I used to think it was a 1b/1c but I'm thinking I could be a little more wavy but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any advice/comments!:flowers:

Edit: I meant to put "My used to be straight hair" in the title with no but. I'm home sick today and can't think straight.

Bluegrass Babe
April 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM
My guess is your hair changed with your last pregnancy. It just took this long to notice because your new growth that has come in since the post-pregnancy shed is just now long enough to be noticed.

In my experience, neither I nor anyone I've known who has had changes in color darkening or in hair texture due to pregnancies or aging has ever gone back to their original color/texture.

My hair was stick straight 1a but slowly changed in my twenties - before I had kids! Now after kids, it is slowly becoming even wavier!

Sanyia
April 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM
My hair is curlier when I am nicer to it. Lack of moisture flattens the curl.

torrilin
April 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
There's a lot of wavelengths there, but I can't see any spiral formation for sure. If you're getting spirals at all, I'd guess 2c, maaaybe 3a. Otherwise, I'd lean towards 2b. For some people, it can take more length for spirals to show, so you might be curlier than you look right now.

alwayssmiling
April 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I looked on your album and you have definite defined waves. Keep looking after them and they may reward you with a few curls as it gets longer. The longer an healthier mine gets the curlier it seems to become. Curly girl method may help you to promote more waves and curl.

spidermom
April 28th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'm guessing you're about a 2A.

Have you moved? Hair can change type with different climate and water. We went to Italy a few years ago, and my hair was stick-straight there. Here I've got everything from stick-straight to spiral curls - all on the same head.

bonnie1735
April 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
My stick straight hair also started getting wirlies when I stopped blow drying my hair and letting it just air dry. I have no children, just pets.

MissManda
April 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'd say your hair looks like 2a or 2b to me. :) Congratulations on your newly-found waves!

Lildove
April 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm now off to look for hair care suggestions for 2a/2b hair. I'm really excited to enhance my new waviness. :D

Spidermom- I haven't moved but that is a good point. It never occurred to me that location could affect ones hair as well. It shows that I still have a lot to learn!

AnqeIicDemise
April 29th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I got the same thing happening here too. Except I've been living in WA for the last four years, been cone free for 10 months and JUST clarified for the first time in a almost three years two weeks ago. I thought at first I was going a little crazy, but nope.. I got some little definition.. and now that I just clarified a second time, I got more defined curlies. It is. so. Weird.. but awesome possum!

Sereia
May 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
my hair was straight when I was a child, started to become curly when I was a teen, and now that I'm growing it, it's becoming more and more straight again.
I think it was 2c when I started to pay attention, and now its 2a/2b when combed.
I miss my curls :(

ratgirldjh
May 2nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
This happened to me too. Nearly all my life I had almost stick straight hair - so much so that I usually wore my hair in a short bob with bangs (or Dorthy Hamil wedge style) because it was so straight that it would just fall into place no combing or styling necessary and it looked best in these styles.

When my hair would get longer it would be stringy and just too blah and thin looking - even though I would use henna/indigo to color it black.

When I was in my 30's I started shaving my head. I would let it grow out again and then shave it back to like 1/2 inch long and I did this many times for years.

When I finally stopped doing this and started letting my hair grow long again, I noticed that it was wavy!!!

Also during this period I had started washing with soap and an ACV rinse instead of the diluted SLS shampoo (Weleda Rosemary) I used to use when younger.

Since then I've noticed that even highly diluted SLS shampoo makes my hair very straight and limp.

As long as I stay away from shampoo and use soap or poo bars with an acid rinse my hair is no longer straight!!!

Weird, huh?

I love my new waviness! :D