PDA

View Full Version : Unusual vintage hair fork -- question

Neoma
April 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I've often thought that hair forks should have a "catch" to keep them from sliding out of an updo.

This vintage fork (http://www.etsy.com/listing/72913162/antique-damascene-tortoiseshell-hair?ref=sr_gallery_24&ga_ref=auto&ga_search_query=hair+comb+-bridal&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage) has one, but it also has one short and one long prong. Does anyone know why?

ravenreed
April 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM
If I had to guess, I would think that one prong broke off and was repaired but ended up shorter. I could be entirely mistaken. Does the vendor know?

metricfuture
April 27th, 2011, 09:08 PM
If I had to guess, I would think that one prong broke off and was repaired but ended up shorter. I could be entirely mistaken. Does the vendor know?

This would be my guess as well. If I broke something as pretty as that, I'd be inclined to fix it until it was unusable.

Qadupae
April 28th, 2011, 04:12 AM
My thought was that it was actually supposed to be that way. Sometimes, assymetrical is what they wanted. What I am thinking is perhaps for BSL length or maybe even shorter, the shorter end is inserted towards the bottom because then you don't have to worry about a long prong poking into your neck. :shrug: Or maybe I'm just weird enough to think things like that for broken items ^_^

boudica
April 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Wow! Thanks for pointing that out to the community! It's gorgeous. I hope someone from the community winds up with it, then puts it out for trade in about a year when I can afford it. . .

: - )

Anje
April 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I'd dare say that the end of the shorter prong is shinier than the corresponding level of the long prong. Further up they show the same pattern of wear. So I'm going with the broke-and-repaired theory.

AnnaJamila
April 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have no idea but that is the COOLEST hair fork ever!!!

Neoma
April 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I agree. It is beautiful. I just presumed that the short/long tines were by design. Perhaps it was broken and fixed. I'm going to convo the vendor.

:flower:

Neoma
April 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Dup post... Sorry...

heidihug
April 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM
That fork was made that way. It's virtually impossible to repair that type of material without it being very apparent. Plus, I've seen other forks from that era with one long and one short prong. I have no idea why they were made that way, though!

Neoma
April 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
That fork was made that way. It's virtually impossible to repair that type of material without it being very apparent. Plus, I've seen other forks from that era with one long and one short prong. I have no idea why they were made that way, though!Thank you, heidihug! :flower: That's good to know.

Now if we could only find out why!

littlenvy
April 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
My thought was that it was actually supposed to be that way. Sometimes, assymetrical is what they wanted. What I am thinking is perhaps for BSL length or maybe even shorter, the shorter end is inserted towards the bottom because then you don't have to worry about a long prong poking into your neck. :shrug: Or maybe I'm just weird enough to think things like that for broken items ^_^
That was my guess too. :)

Neoma
April 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
OK, so let's presume that it was deliberate. Let's say that I make a basic twisted bun. If I secure it with that fork, only one prong is going to poke out of my bun. So, how do I put the glass clasp on? Something's not right with this picture... :confused:

littlenvy
April 28th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Honestly, I think its more of a braid clasp. You make higher up braid and put the fork on a downward angel ( \\ ) around the base of the braid with the shorter prong against the midle of your neck.

Neoma
April 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Honestly, I think its more of a braid clasp. You make higher up braid and put the fork on a downward angel ( \\ ) around the base of the braid with the shorter prong against the midle of your neck.Oh, that would work! That sounds lovely.

littlenvy
April 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I forgot to say that it is a beautiful piece :), would love to have it.
Too bad my hair is way too fine and thin to hold something like that.

braidedbeauty
April 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
That is beautiful I gotta try and buy a hair fork one of these days I've never had one before!

selderon
April 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Honestly, I think its more of a braid clasp. You make higher up braid and put the fork on a downward angel ( \\ ) around the base of the braid with the shorter prong against the midle of your neck.

:o I don't get it. I think I need someone to draw me a picture.

BrightEyes7
April 28th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Umm... It's a very beautiful fork... but am I the only one who noticed how small it is?!? In one of the other pictures available it's next to a US Quarter... and isn't much bigger. I doubt this could even hold a half up bun for me. Maybe it's used to pull back hair, more like a hair comb sort of thing.