PDA

View Full Version : New to BS and ACV washes

Miss Catrina
April 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM
So, I just started trying baking soda washes with apple cider vinegar rinses, and I have a couple questions.

1: I'm using a ratio of 1 tbsp baking soda to a cup of water, applied in the kind of squirt bottle you buy for ketchup or mustard. An article I read online recommended this quantity - and it also said that it would feel like there was sand in your hair before rinsing, and I haven't experienced that at ALL. I can't feel it in/on my hair in the least. I was also looking kind of greasy about 18 hours later. Am I not using enough baking soda, or is it an adjustment period?

2: On the other hand, I feel like I'm using a ridiculous amount of ACV. I'm using the same ratio as the baking soda, and it's working fine - but I feel like I'm squirting a crazy amount onto my hair. I made a cup of it and I think I'll only get three showers out of that. Obviously at 1 tbsp ACV per cup, a bottle of ACV would still last me quite a while, but are other people using it so liberally too? I'm used to globbing conditioner everywhere, so I guess I just apply it until my hair feels nice and smooth - should I just increase the amount of ACV in the water?

Stub
April 27th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I think there is an adjustment period, although mine was not bad, for BS. Your ratio sounds about what I use, although I might go 1 tbsp baking soda to 1.5 c water. The ratios for BS vary greatly person to person, so experiment a little. It does not feel at all like sand either at that dilution. Perhaps the person who said that didn't mix it up very well?? I also make my ACV rinse about half and half acv/water, and I use more than a cup per wash!