PDA

View Full Version : My confession....I can't braid!

Cocoa_Crema
April 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I'm not skilled with hair! I either leave it down or put it in a loose ponytail.

When I was a little girl I never learned how to braid, mainly I because I was kind of tom boyish with short hair.

I have curly hair so every time I try to braid its discouraging and messy separating the curls.

I really need to learn though. I love the styles that many of you sport, even the simple ones of braids along the temples that are pinned back.

Mrspuddinhead
April 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hi Cocoa Crema. Don't get to discouraged. I myself can only do a simple plaid. Such as in piggy tails, or back in a pony and plaided. There is a woman on YouTube that goes by Torrin Paige and she does hair tutorials. Her videos have been very helpful, easy to follow and understand.

danacc
April 27th, 2011, 04:44 PM
It just takes practice. If you find your curls challenging, you can practice using something like yarn or string. When you braid your own hair, keep your hands close to the current end of the braid and gently smooth before "crossing" or "twisting".

RitaPG
April 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM
All it takes is a little practice. Try it when your hair is wet, it makes it easier and less slippery :)

xoxophelia
April 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I learned when I was a lot younger on a doll and then french braiding.. I am not sure why but some time when I was about 16 I said I would wear two french braids every single day until I could do it quickly and easily..

Maybe just try once every night ;)

gthlvrmx
April 27th, 2011, 07:45 PM
No one taught me, i watched a girl in class show her friend how she did hers :P What helps me think is repeat in your hair, middle goes out. If you go rmiddle-out-to-right the first time, the next time you must go middle-out-to-left. It alternates.

jeanniet
April 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Don't feel bad--I can barely do a basic braid and I had to practice for that. My problem is all the little flyaway hairs that want to tangle together. Just practice a basic 3-strand braid and start with that, and then go from there.

racrane
April 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Oh, I actually thought about putting up a thread like this - I can't braid either. I'm so glad I'm not alone! It's on my to do list as my hair gets longer.

Remyy
April 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I used to be the same way, then I started watching hair tutorials on youtube and it REALLY helped. Now I'm pretty skilled in at least 5 different types of braids. I really suggest picking a simple braid to practice like, a rope braid or french/dutch braid and learning step by step how to do it on youtube.

Anje
April 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Start with string, and then move on to your hair when it's ponytailed.

You might also want to look into rope braids/twists. They're another braid-like hair-gathering-thingy (need a term...) that some people find easier than three-stranded braids.

Cocoa_Crema
April 27th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Awww thanks so much for your encouragement and advice. :o I'm definitely going to youtube and start learning. I will work string at first or practice on my daughter's hair for hers is straight!

Thanks!

Melanie Marie
April 28th, 2011, 05:48 AM
It's been said a hundred time already, but practice really is the key. And Youtube. ;)

kouran
April 28th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I did not know how to braid until December 2010...I never learned when I was a child as well. The first thing I did was watch lots of videos of people braiding their hair, then I practiced on my sister, and finally on myself. My braids are not perfect yet, but with a little more practice they hopefully will...:)

Lildove
April 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I don't think you are alone Cocoa_Crema. ;) I'm horrible at braiding bu I am desperately trying to learn because of my little girl. Her hair is the longest it's ever been and I would love to style it for her. She's three and I think she would look adorable in some nicely placed braids. So I have been practicing on her when she will sit still long enough lol and I have been watching you tube. Hopefully something will click some day. :o

Rebecca.1905
April 28th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I can do a regular 3 strand braid, but I can't do it on myself. I mean, I can do little ones on the sides, but for whatever reason I can't get my hands to translate that to the back of my own hair. The couple of times I've worn a braid down my back for something I've had to plan ahead and have my mom do it. I really should practice more. Plus, I want to learn to french and dutch braid my own hair!!

beatriz
April 28th, 2011, 09:50 AM
dont be sad... you are not the only one, my sister cant make a braid as well :)

Dizzy_zzz
April 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM
My mom or sister, either. If the string is too hard, I learned by doing it on the back of my own head, and that worked for me. :) good luck

bigred199
April 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Ditto what everyone else has said. Find yourself a good youtube video and then practice it on whoever whenever you can. Until about six months ago the french braid was beyond my comprehension. Finally I started french braiding my hair every night before bed to sleep in -- that way if it was awful, I wouldn't be out in public for everyone to see. Amazingly, it only took a few times before my braid was presentable and I felt confident enough to wear it out in public. You can do it!

Sereia
May 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
go check youtube videos, it's the best thing you can do!
there's almost any hair style you want to do there. I specially love the tutorials of a dutch girl "Loepsie", just search for her name there and you'll find many videos, since the simple ones like 'how to simple braiding', till the more elaborate ones with many many thin braids..
She speaks in english and explains so well.. and I think she's a member o LHC, actually.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
I learned how to french and dutch braid when I was in my 20s from a magazine article. I find curly hair much easier to braid than straight hair, which tends to be slippery and resist being moved from how it normally hangs.

All it will take is learning the basic moves, then practice. Good luck!

tierra11
May 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
i have curly hair to and i can't seem to figure out how to braid anybodies hair let alone my own. the weird thing about it is my moms like the braid queen, i feel like a disappointment LOL.

pixi_stix
May 2nd, 2011, 11:44 PM
I'm also useless at french braid. I can do the top part so it looks ok, it's the part at the nape of my neck that goes wrong. I just can't get it to go tight enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut99UcoIviM
You could always try this cheat

Madora
May 3rd, 2011, 12:37 AM
The art of braiding is a combination of finger dexterity, memorization, and a LOT of practicing!

Learn how to do simple braids first:

English braid - 3 sections - right crossed over middle
left crossed over middle

Dutch braid - 3 sections - right goes UNDER middle section
left goes UNDER middle section

Once you've mastered the simple braids, you can then try "French" braiding..a technique of adding hair from each side into the main body of hair.

It can be a bit daunting at first...holding everything and trying to do the ad ins.

It helps - a LOT - if you can practice on someone -- or perhaps a Barbie doll head or a life sized mannequin headform

When braiding your own hair, try NOT to look in the mirror. You'll only get confused and frustrated.

Repeat the pattern style in your head as you work.

The longer you practice, the more nimble and flexible your fingers become, and the more they "remember" the motions.

Also, you'll have to build up your muscles/tendons to cope with braiding behind your head with French braids. This does take a while before the "burning" of your upper arms/shoulders dissipates.

As far as practicing your braiding, I found that if I took 3 balls of yarn and tied them together at the top, then began to braid down the length slowly, that gave me a "feel" for the motion.
(I stuck the top of the yarn into the top of a drawer, then closed the drawer to hold the yarn in place). Be sure there is enough yarn and that it is moderately thick. You want to have the illusion that you're actually working on "hair" so your fingers feel the braiding pattern begin).

LACE BRAIDING is adding from only ONE side of the hair ..and can be done in the "English" or "Dutch" French braiding manner.

MULTIPLE BRAIDS - from 2 strands up to 8 or more. Some truly inspiring "dos" can be created if you are really skilled in manipulating those strands.

There are also beautiful round braids and box braids consisting of multiple strands, as well as the FISHTAIL BRAID and the Perimeter braid.

If you're really gung ho on braiding, then more design ideas can be found in books on leather braiding, Peruvian braiding and basketweaving (which is not exactly braiding, but is sensational when done by a professional).

Braiding your hair successfully also depends on how you section your hair to achieve your chosen hairstyle..plus how thick and how long your hair is. Hair should be as close to one length as possible (it's a LOT easier to braid when one length).

Braided styles are gorgeous and even the simpliest braided creation lends an air of elegance and flair to any head. But remember, practice, practice, practice is the key!