PDA

View Full Version : How much hair do YOU lose?

danikabananika
April 27th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Hey everyone! I'm curious to know approximately how much hair you all shed each day. I feel like a shed a lot (I would say probably close to 50 hairs a day, at least), but it could just be that I'm a lot more conscious of it ever since my hair breakage tragedy/I've paid a lot more attention to my hair. Do you do anything to prevent shedding? Please share if you do :) I've been trying to wear my hair up as much as possible, especially because when it's down I like to run my fingers through it and catch any lose strands, but now I'm afraid that I'm actually pulling it out!

eternallyverdan
April 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM
50 hairs a day is pretty standard. The figure that I've seen quoted around the boards as average is about 100 hairs a day, but people's individual estimates seem to vary pretty widely, from 10 or less to 200 or more. As long as the hairs that you're losing are from natural shedding and not breakage or mechanical damage, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh, and I lose about 25 hairs a day. A bit less than average, but not shockingly low.

KatiSasha
April 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
My hair goes through stages, I guess I grow more hair in stages, so it gets pushed out the same way :) Taking MSM and garlic supplements helped me as far as I can tell. I also take Biosil, which is a purified silica supplement. It's supposed to help with growth, which I haven't noticed, but my shedding was reduced dramatically. CO washes only (cone free conditioners, my fave at the moment is Garnier Triple Nutrition, thanks to LHC) also reduced my shedding.

When you lose a hair, look at it closely and make sure it has a little bulb at the end (that means it's a shed hair, not a broken one). It's also a good time to look at the other end and see if you have a split end - time for a trim.

edit: Oh, I shed anywhere between 20 and 70 hairs a day depending on what stage I'm in :)

spidermom
April 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I have no idea, but it doesn't seem like I shed a lot, although every once in awhile (less than once a year), I'll be combing out my hair and HOLY MOLEY! A pile of hair ends up on the floor. But no way would I ever count it or even guesstimate because it might cause anxiety, and anxiety is not good for growing hair.

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I am a bit like a labrador, I hardly shed anything and then I go through a shedding season and shed small fury animals but I also find that immediately after a shed I get a growth spurt.

It is quite normal to lose upto 100 hairs a day and it can be quite frightening as the hairs are long and look more.

QMacrocarpa
April 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I don't count or estimate, but I'm saving shed hair for a rat, and in no time I've collected a huge-ish wad of hair. I suppose once in a while I'll measure my ponytail circumference to see what's going on, but I don't expect to do that more than once a year or so. I am much more concerned about splits and breakage than shedding.

Nini
April 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I have no idea. Nor do I care all that much as long as my hair feels normal.

motormuffin
April 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Lately, hardly any...maybe 25ish. I shed like mad right about autumn. Enough to where my family worries.

WaitingSoLong
April 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I am like JoJo and I hardly shed at all and then go through a huge shed, followed by new growth which sticks out all over the place. Right now I am in a non-shedding time. Really, about 15 hairs a day. Seriously.

AspenSong
April 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Well I'm one of those 100 hairs a day people. =/ I've counted and it's usually always about the same. *sigh*

hsdoodles
April 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I find that no matter how careful I am washing my hair, I shed a lot more in the shower than anywhere else. Maybe 10-15 hairs. But about 20 in a day is normal for me. I always thought that was high before I saw some of these numbers! :bigeyes:

Firefly
April 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I shed A LOT. I've never counted, but it feels like a high degree of shedding to me. But, my hair isn't particularly thin, so I don't worry too much about it. :)

kouran
April 27th, 2011, 11:55 AM
It depends. I usually lose more hair on washing days, about 10-20. On the other days I only lose 2-5. If I did not take biotin, it would be 50-100 each day...

WaitingSoLong
April 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hmm I don't take biotin but I forgot that I do take DE. Silica. I still have a huge shed once a year, though.

TakeAPotatoChip
April 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Very little. I've been keeping it in a bun daily the past week and a half to count my average & I get anywhere from 6-13 when I comb it out at night before I bun it again. When I brushed my hair daily- dear, I would get a palmful, I can't believe I was ever so rough with it -_-

Lianna
April 27th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I only noticed shedding when I stoped MN (no particular reason). It was about 7-10 when I combed my hair. Normally I don't even notice any, so probably less than 10. I wear an updo 90% of the time, so I'm not shedding everywhere while walking and "not noticing".

I will shed if I attempt to comb dry, it's like I give the last "little push" or something. Combing dry is difficult and troublesome to me.

danikabananika
April 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM
KatiSasha, I know this is a long shot but have you ever taken any other silica supplements? And how long have you been taking biosil? I'm currently taking bamboosil (I used to take biotin and I'm going to start taking it again, as well as msm, as soon as they arrive in the mail. it's taking forever :( ) and I don't think I've noticed more shedding than usual, but my hair does go through phases and it's in a heavier stage at the moment.

ingvild
April 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Since I started to pay attention to it.. my shedding varies. My hair is coarse, so less can definitely look like more! Now my shedding is a bit heavier than it was earlier this year... Wouldn't surprise me if I'm pushing 100, but I refuse to count because that's not good. I have had the same thickness since January, though, so I think it's normal for me. :-)

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I am like JoJo and I hardly shed at all and then go through a huge shed, followed by new growth which sticks out all over the place. Right now I am in a non-shedding time. Really, about 15 hairs a day. Seriously.

exact same as me! does that make us shedding sisters?:cheese:

gogirlanime
April 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I lose about 50 hairs a day, I wish it were less because I have thin hair and my hair always ends up being thin on the ends, but I am wearing my hair up everyday 80% of the time, and up at night, I'm also using M-T-G oil, Monistat, and a lot of vitamins to prevent that as much as I can.

oktobergoud
April 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Honestly, I have no idea! And I don't really care either, unless I shed like crazy. I only see a few hairs in the shower and maybe another few when combing, but that's it! (I do have a pixie though)

When I was a teenager, I used to braid in fake dreadlocks. (I know, horrendous, but I just LOVED them at that moment, haha :P) After a month or so I had to take them out and SOOOO much hair would come out (because it was stuck for a month!). I remember that, taking hands full of hair! That was a bit freaky but completely normal though :P

Okay that was off-topic :P

Chetanlaiho
April 27th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I've only just started to pay any real attention to it, but since coming across the LHC and the livejournal longhair comm, I actually no longer have to unplug the drain of the shower weekly xD (sorry for that visual ^^;)

I shed quite a bit at first, but I didn't exactly eat healthy either at that time so that has probably contributed to it. I kind of worry over every hair since I want it to be thicker but I'm definitely below the 100 a day so that made me feel less bad ^^

I shed most during washing and if I mess with my hair a lot, I also seemed to be shedding more the last few weeks but there was a discussion on whether it had to do with the weather? xD

Miss Catrina
April 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM
It's very hard to tell during the day, the only thing I can really gauge by how much I lose when I detangle after I shower, and that varies a ton. Some days it's a lot, it seems like especially if I've had my hair up. 20-25, sometimes.

Then other times, it's less than 10. Who knows...

Sereia
May 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm a big shedder too, when I counted it was about 100 strands a day, but my hair feels normal, and in fact the circunference of my ponytail is bigger than it used to be, so I try not to bother with the shedding..
but it's hard, my hair i already very thin, I fear the shedding :(

Kristamommyx3
May 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
I would say less than twenty, some days ten or less, once in a while a seasonal shed for a few days of maybe twenty? I think that what I thought was shedding before was breakage due to brushing my hair wet. Ouch... But, I stopped that a while ago and it seems to be less and less lately. :)

Valdeon
May 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
That depends. Of cause, it's really hard to estimate the actual amount, but counting the hairs on the brush it varies from 50 to 90, 50% of them are quite short (what's up with that???). I am on a thicker side of ii, and imy hair is fine, so I am used to heavy shedding.

CastaDiva
May 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
I used to shed a lot before I joined this forum but now I hardly shed at all, so my new hair care routine has really paid off. I would guess that I shed no more than between 5 and 20 hairs a day, depending on how I brush my hair.

erialc
May 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I have the feeling I shed SO much. I can brush through my hair and have the comb full of hairs. Then I go in the shower and have hair all over my hands when I do my routine, and then after the shower I gently run my fingers through it to detangle and my hands are full of hair again. And it keeps going like this. Each time I just stroke my hands through it I end up with lose hairs. Maybe I should count them some day and see how much it actually is, but god does it feel like I shouldn't have any hair left on my head by now...

nazzooyzo
May 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
a few months ago i seemed to shed loads and needed to hoover my bathroom all the time! now its settled down and i doubt its any more than 10-20 a day, maybe even less

vaughner
May 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I think I lose about 10 a day at most, and it's mostly when I'm in the shower detangling and combing.

sharicat
May 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
I don't know how much I shed but it always feels like a lot, especially if I go days without washing. My mum's the same. I'm going to pay proper attention, once my post natal shedding has finished, so I can work out what's normal for me.

KatiSasha
May 2nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
KatiSasha, I know this is a long shot but have you ever taken any other silica supplements? And how long have you been taking biosil? I'm currently taking bamboosil (I used to take biotin and I'm going to start taking it again, as well as msm, as soon as they arrive in the mail. it's taking forever :( ) and I don't think I've noticed more shedding than usual, but my hair does go through phases and it's in a heavier stage at the moment.

Danikabananika,

I haven't taken any other silica supps, I've done a ton or research before I jumped into Biosil to make sure it was safe and effective (it's not that cheap.) I've been taking it consistently for about 5 months now and sporadically for about 10. I have a line of new hair growth at both of those times. To explain - I have a layer of about 5 inches long where the baby hairs stick out of my head and another at about 3 inches. They are quite annoying to grow out, but I know it's new hair and it's healthy and I cannot wait for it to get long enough to get into my pony circumference :)

Speckla
May 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
100+ daily.

gogirlanime
May 3rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
I got curious so I started counting for the past three days. I've been wearing my hair up all day and night and only take it down to brush, wash, and oil it up. I've been losing about 100-120 hairs a day, I thought it was more around 50. But my ponytail is still 3" thick, so I'm not worried :) it's average/a little higher for hairs lost everyday.

ashke50
May 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I wondered, so have been counting for the last week or so. Seems like I average around 50, but it is a lot more on the days I wash and a lot less other days - like, up to 100 or more when I wash the hair, and as few as 4-5 on days when I don't.

Phalaenopsis
May 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I barely lose hairs. 15 hairs tops while combing. In the shower maybe 2 hairs. I don't have big sheds, if I'm shedding that means there's something wrong with me.