PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Bull?

ElvenArchess
April 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM
http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/makeovers-tips/how-to-correct-8-common-beauty-mistakes-10000001587809/index.html

"Apart from wasting product, conditioning the roots can weigh your hair down and make it look greasy ... Starting at your ears, apply conditioner all the way to the ends. You will gain volume and won't have to wash your hair as often."

I prefer you read the whole tiny part of the article in the link, but, is this true? I'm so confused. I thought you were supposed to apply conditioner to all of your hair. At least, that's what I do. :confused:

teela1978
April 27th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Different people do things differently... I only apply conditioner from my ears down. My scalp gets very greasy though, and conditioner makes it greasier faster! Many people here only use conditioner and apply it to the scalp, so it really depends on how your hair responds and what works for you.

Juneii
April 27th, 2011, 12:31 AM
it is a fact for me, conditioner weighs down my hair if I leave it on my scalp :)

JadeTigress
April 27th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I think it's different depending on your hair. For mine, if I'm going to use conditioner I have to put it on everything. But for my mom, that's what happens to her hair so she can't do conditioner on her roots, but she has to completely slather it on her whole length.

growingpains
April 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM
When I am using the typical wash then condition method I do not put conditioner above my ears, though I do smooth it very briefly and lightly near my temples after I condition my length. However, when I CO obviously to clean the scalp conditioner needs to soak on the whole head.

I don't think there is anything wrong with conditioning your scalp as long as it seems to like it and your hair looks ok. I personally find if I condition my scalp after shampooing I need to wash sooner so I figure why bother, let the natural oils do their magic.

Dark Queen
April 27th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Personally, my scalp gets greasy fast, so I have no need for conditioner above chin length. That being said, I CWC (with the conditioner on the ends and the shampoo only on scalp) and after the last application of the conditioner to the ends, I rub just a little of what's left between my palms and gently pat the top of my hair so the longer bits don't get overly dry. That's always worked fine for me.

Slinks
April 27th, 2011, 01:15 AM
A fact for me too .. condish ears down :-)

MonaLisa
April 27th, 2011, 01:18 AM
This is definitely a fact for me. But it's not same for everyone. You should find what works for you. :)

Idun
April 27th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Fact for me. I imagine it is for most people with fine hair types.

Yozhik
April 27th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I don't apply conditioner to my scalp ever, unless I'm doing a CO wash.

Melanie Marie
April 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I put the majority of my condition on the length of my hair from the chin down, and then I just take some of the excess and smooth it over the top of my head. But only a little bit, and I find this works pretty well for me.:)

darklion
April 27th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I have bangs and they do not respond well to conditioner. I tend to just condition from the ears down and I slather it on.

Lianna
April 27th, 2011, 02:21 AM
My bangs are way better with conditioner, maybe because I have curly hair. I don't want my top poufy, I want to weigh down my hair. Different hairs...different techniques.

nazzooyzo
April 27th, 2011, 02:39 AM
yeah i never apply conditioner to my roots cos i remember reading something like that years ago. i don't know if it works on everyone's hair though :shrug:

Mesmerise
April 27th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I have been CO washing (just started) and if you can wash with conditioner, then theoretically it should be perfectly okay to put it near the roots (since, err, to wash with it you need to cleanse your roots!).

I think the trick is how well you wash it out maybe? Any conditioner not washed out will leave your hair greasy looking/feeling if it's prone to it.

If I deliberately wanted to sort of leave the conditioner in my hair a bit (not wash it out properly) though, I would definitely not leave it near my roots! I have done this sometimes as a sort of leave-in (put it in and half rinsed it out).

leslissocool
April 27th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Fact for me too, but it really depends. People use conditioner only to wash their hair and it works for them, I have a horribly oily scalp so if I use conditioner on it, it looks terrible.

I use conditioner along the length (from around chin) and on the tips I use super heavy mega conditioner. My hair waves/curls at the end and it gets super frizzy and that helps tame the frizz.

MonaMayfair
April 27th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I only use it from my ears down too - I have tried CO washing in the past, but my hair didn't like it, it made me shed too much.

Theobroma
April 27th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Definitely not fact for me! I've been CO-washing for about ten months now, so my scalp sees a LOT of conditioner and it loves it!

Avital88
April 27th, 2011, 03:48 AM
For me its true, i only do it while co washing.. But i dont like my hair greasy, and it gets greasy within a day with co :( and normally it takes 3 days to get to that point.

Nae
April 27th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I use less above my ears but over all my hair sucks the stuff up. It doesn't give me the greasies. I leave some on my length without washing out and STILL don't get the greasies. It all depends on your hair.

skyblue
April 27th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I do heavy oiling at least once a week so yes on my first runny conditioner I do use it on my roots this helps get all the oil out then I use a small amount of shampoo just on the top of my head the second conditioner only goes on my length
so far this is working really well and I haven't noticed any weighing down or extra greasiness

Rebecca.1905
April 27th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I absolutely *must* use conditioner on my scalp! I have super dry skin all over and my scalp is no different. If I didn't put conditioner up there I would be itchy and awful all day. It does for my head what my moisturizer does for my face and body. Absolutely necessary for me and does not weigh my hair down at all. My head LOVES conditioner!

Firefox7275
April 27th, 2011, 06:36 AM
http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/makeovers-tips/how-to-correct-8-common-beauty-mistakes-10000001587809/index.html

"Apart from wasting product, conditioning the roots can weigh your hair down and make it look greasy ... Starting at your ears, apply conditioner all the way to the ends. You will gain volume and won't have to wash your hair as often."

I prefer you read the whole tiny part of the article in the link, but, is this true? I'm so confused. I thought you were supposed to apply conditioner to all of your hair. At least, that's what I do. :confused:

Surely it depends on the conditioner and each individual's hair/ skin type? Many people choose to oil their ends, but would look greasy if they did the same to the roots regularly. Conversely some exclusively conditioner only wash, LHC has many such curlies who have anything but a lack of volume. :D

I am biased because I have used leave-in conditioner for many years, but it seems to me most wash-off conditioners are a waste of product. I am also starting to suspect that one of the main reasons my roots get greasy quickly is sulphate-based shampoos. :shrug:

Qadupae
April 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I used to use condi on the whole length because my hair tangled so badly, but once I got the detangling issue dealt with, I didn't need to do all the hair anymore due to greasiness. I think it depends also on how fine your hair is. Finer hair tends to get oilier (sp?) and more weighed down by most condi's.

So pretty much repeating what most everyone else said ^_^

racrane
April 27th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I use conditioner on the ears down. I have plenty enough oils on the top of my head, why use conditioner? It's the ends that need it. But some people do need conditioner all over, it just depends, obviously. But for me, I'd look like I dipped my head in oil merely hours after a washing if I conditioned my scalp.

Kherome
April 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I'm a CO person, so for me I use conditioner in huge MEGA amounts all over my head during a wash. However, if a person were to do the standard shampoo/wash, it's generally conditioner from the ears down only.

mimimo
April 27th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I only apply conditioner to my lengths, however just before rinsing I will gently squeeze out a bit of excess conditioner and apply to my scalp area. For me this is a good compromise and let's me get just a small amount of conditioner on to my scalp hair for a short amount of time. I do have hair on the dryer side though, so this may even be too much for oilier types.

In2wishin
April 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I am another who uses a small amount of conditioner on the roots, then slathers it all over the length from the ears down. As others have said, it really depends on your hair and the conditioner you use. There have been some conditioners I have tried over the years that didn't weigh my hair down at all.

Anje
April 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Works for many people, especially those who go too flat or get an irritated scalp if they apply conditioner to it.

If I were to shampoo and only condition from the ears down, the top of my head would be massively frizzy. So conditioner everywhere for me!

AspenSong
April 27th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Personally.....I CO wash and then I condition all over my head. My hair is never weighed down or "greasy" afterwards...it's always light and clean and bouncy for me. It doesn't get weighed down on me until a couple days later after I haven't washed and my natural scalp oils and there...*shrug*

MissEarlGrey
April 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I use conditioner on my entire head, my scalp gets a bit oily at the very end of the day, but I just BBB and my hair is super shiny.

KatiSasha
April 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Many typical conditioners have -cones in them. If you put them on your scalp it'll build up grease like crazy. People who CO wash (I'm one of them) use -cone free stuff and you can put that anywhere on your head, as long as you wash it out - you're good to go. Nothing has weighed me down and my hair is fairly fine.

nellreno
April 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I CO wash, so conditioner gets put all over my scalp. If anything my hair gets less greasy doing it this way than when using shampoo on the scalp.

daaisychains
April 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM
It depends if i'm planning on wearing my hair down the next day. I agree with the article that it weighs your hair down but if i'm wearing it up i don't really care and enjoy the extra conditioning.

pepperminttea
April 27th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Bull for me. My roots love some 'cone free condish. :) (But my scalp + 'cones... ohh bad idea.)

spidermom
April 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
True for me; no conditioner near the scalp. It's not because I don't want to weigh my hair down - anything to tame the bush - but because my scalp gets oily fast, and conditioner emphasizes that.

dorkfish
April 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Fact for me. I condish from the ears down, leave it in. Then I take a cup of water, dissolve a very small amount of shampoo in the water and poor of the top of my hair, scalp area and gentle massage.
Then I rinse all out and re-condition from the ears down, leave in while I finish my shower then, rinse out. Not completely though.
I do this about every 3-4 days. I love the condition my hair is in now. Mind you, I have chemically treated hair, and I am in the process of apologizing to it.

xoxophelia
April 27th, 2011, 10:32 AM
If your hair has a lot of body like mine I don't think it should be an issue. I do it to decrease the poof and to make it more flat on my head heh.

I guess just do whatever works for you. It definitely will not harm your hair and if you get a little oily faster there are always updos.

tigereye
April 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Fact for me too. My hair can last more than a week without getting greasy, but if I put conditioner on the roots it barely makes half that time.

Firefly
April 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I only condition my scalp in the winter, when it tends to be dry and flaky. Otherwise I condition from the ears down or I get greasy scalp.

ETA: When I do use conditioner on the scalp, I make sure to rinse VERY thoroughly.

Dizzy_zzz
April 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I have fine hair and conditioner on my scalp has never made any difference whatsoever to me. You should try both ways and see which you prefer, I think.

BrightEyes7
April 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I condition all over... But my roots don't get greasy very easy so it doesn't bother me. If I got a greasy scalp easy, I'd do the ears down method.

MeganE
April 27th, 2011, 01:03 PM
If I don't use at least some conditioner on the roots, the detangling is a lot harder. The ends have slip, and the roots don't and it's kind of a mess. I use less conditioner on the roots though, and concentrate it on the ends.

ravenreed
April 27th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I think it also depends on the conditioner. I use a light conditioner for CO and I do my roots twice because they get so oily otherwise. I use a more moisturizing conditioner only from the ears down.

Alvrodul
April 27th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I don't like to apply conditioner to my roots, but when I do (like when I COwash) I rinse very, very thoroughly afterwards. And then do another round of conditioning from the ears down.
I do this because my scalp tends to get peevish about conditioner - unless I am very thorough about rinsing it out, I often get itchy. And if I use a conditioner that is likely to cause buildup, the itchies are almost guaranteed!