PDA

View Full Version : How resist cutting?

dragonchickx
April 26th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Okay my hair is almost to my tailbone, and everyonce in a while I will get the urdge to just cut it off in a normal looking haircut, but I know I wont like it!! What do some of you do to inspire yourselves to not cut it or keep it growing. I don't mind taking care of it, its just I get bored with the same thing. I like to switch up my look.. Im currently awaiting some colored contacts, trying not to do something ill regret.

Sundial
April 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Learn how to do new updos. A lot of the beautiful braided styles require lots of length. It will keep you reminded of the many things you can do with long hair and hopefully you wouldn't feel the urge to cut your hair shorter

racrane
April 26th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Keep a hair diary, like I'm doing. Look back and realize how many days you really love your long hair. That'd be my suggestion.

Mesmerise
April 26th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Okay my hair is almost to my tailbone, and everyonce in a while I will get the urdge to just cut it off in a normal looking haircut, but I know I wont like it!! What do some of you do to inspire yourselves to not cut it or keep it growing. I don't mind taking care of it, its just I get bored with the same thing. I like to switch up my look.. Im currently awaiting some colored contacts, trying not to do something ill regret.

I think I would probably cut it back a bit (no more than waist though!) because just going a few inches shorter will probably curb any further cutting urges you get, while giving you something a bit different!

Of course, if you actually want to grow longer that's probably not a good idea ;) it's just what I'd do if my hair got to my goal length and I found myself getting bored!! (Too much boredom in the past has led to perming, dyeing, bleaching, inevitably chopping again etc. etc.).

MrsGuther
April 26th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Search out some new and exciting up do's and hairstyles. If you really feel the urge to chop, do the two -week rule before you make any decision about getting your hair cut.

MonaLisa
April 27th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Change your perception of ' normal' ;)

Is it the default look expected from us by majority of people that's making you wanna cut it?

Love your hair:)

Slinks
April 27th, 2011, 01:43 AM
agree with all the above .. new do's, new toys, a small cut .. maybe some bangs ..

Melanie Marie
April 27th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I went through the exact same thing two years ago and I ended up letting my sister cut my tailbone length hair into layers. I loved it for about five seconds. :(

If I had known some of the updos that I know now, I know I NEVER would have cut it. Learning how to do new things will keep you from getting bored, that is, if your ultimate plan is to grow out your hair.

darklion
April 27th, 2011, 02:15 AM
One thing I always remind myself is that Life Is An Adventure. If you cut your hair... it will grow back. Yes, it will take time, but it's only hair.
I can see that this isn't the common reply, but hair is supposed to accentuate us. I see nothing wrong with changing it up every now and then.
TBH, I have learned that I prefer mine to be past BSL. I'll most likely never cut it shorter than that. Yet you may discover something wonderful and new when you cut your hair. Even if it's that you like your hair long.

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 05:39 AM
When I get fed up or those scissor demons are going round my head, I treat myself to a nice long deep conditioner and then I love my hair again.

Or try a blow dry or straighten (I will probably have stones thrown at me for saying that) but little treats like this, help you see the real beauty and of course hide the scissors!

WaitingSoLong
April 27th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Everyone has great replies. I have been talking myself out of cutting for months now. I did a 1inch trim just as a taste early this month. I will probably cut 3-4" off later in the year (after summer). I actually want to shave my head (1" all over) but I know what I look like with shorter hairstyles and the in-betweens keep my scissors far away. I have a cowlick on the back of my head that is totally unruly and only BSL+ hair keeps it tamed. But the way I feel now is if I ever do CHOP, it will be ALL of it, not to BSL.

However, I remain with my hair because I am afraid I will not like it and I cannot glue it back on. YES it will grow back but it would take 6+ years.

Another suggestion, how about some temporary dye? Oh, and as summer comes in I have found I like scarves.

Bene
April 27th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I find that a hair treatment helps. A good deep conditioning, or cassia, or even clarifying with baking soda. It'll stave the urge for a while. Last weekend I was whining about my hair, then I clarified and saw instant results.

The only thing that worked for me permanently it is to go ahead and chop. Then later on down the road, when I get the urge again, I remember back to me sitting around whining about how much length I lost and where I would have been if I hadn't been so gung-ho with the freaking scissors.

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Everyone has great replies. I have been talking myself out of cutting for months now. I did a 1inch trim just as a taste early this month. I will probably cut 3-4" off later in the year (after summer). I actually want to shave my head (1" all over) but I know what I look like with shorter hairstyles and the in-betweens keep my scissors far away. I have a cowlick on the back of my head that is totally unruly and only BSL+ hair keeps it tamed. But the way I feel now is if I ever do CHOP, it will be ALL of it, not to BSL.

However, I remain with my hair because I am afraid I will not like it and I cannot glue it back on. YES it will grow back but it would take 6+ years.

Another suggestion, how about some temporary dye? Oh, and as summer comes in I have found I like scarves.
really? your hair is so beautiful. The choice is yours but id hate you to regret doing something drastic...did I tell you i love your hair?

as for temp dyes check spidermom's new hair out its gorgeous, maybe thats an option?

skyblue
April 27th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I get temped too sometimes, but I just think of how long it took to get this long, and wonder how long it will grow before it goes terminal and HIDE my scissors lol that usually calm my urges lol!

Mesmerise
April 27th, 2011, 06:49 AM
The only thing that worked for me permanently it is to go ahead and chop. Then later on down the road, when I get the urge again, I remember back to me sitting around whining about how much length I lost and where I would have been if I hadn't been so gung-ho with the freaking scissors.

Yup, this lol. The number of times I've chopped my hair and regretted it is... well...lots... if I hadn't, I guess I'd have my goal length hair now ;) For some reason I'm always telling myself that THIS time I'll look great with short hair, and then of course, I don't like it and grow grow grow it long again :rolleyes:. Yes, hair grows, that's a big plus, but it's also why when I get to goal, if I EVER get the urge to chop I'll do no more than a few inches and see how I feel.

Madora
April 27th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I think many would be long hairs fall by the wayside because for whatever reason, they cannot learn to style their hair in different ways..and of course they tire of wearing it the same manner, with little, if any variation.

So, you need to start learning how to braid, for starters. Then learn different braids, and learn how to part your hair in different places, and experiment..A LOT.

Try learning a cinnamon bun, or a twisted bun, or a ponytail bun..chinese braided bun, half ups...the list goes on and on.

Personally, I find short hair boring as hell (been there, done that!). I love experimenting with new braided hairstyles!

Pickelhaube
April 27th, 2011, 09:08 AM
What I like to do is look up websites with pictures of beautiful hair. Rapunzel's Delight, the Rapunzel Long Hair Archive, and the paintings of J. W. Waterhouse are really good for this. Those pictures always remind me of how wonderful long hair is, and they're all "realistic," not the photoshopped stuff you see in magazines.

Also, I'm seconding the new updo recommendations. Updos make long hair so much more interesting.

LaurelSpring
April 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I agree with those who say that remembering what happened in the past is a good deterrent. I have an urge or two occasionally to look more normal and get some layers etc., but then I remember how much work it was and how absolutely boring it was and how much I didnt really like it. That pretty much does the trick. Now just doing a dusting is enough to squelch any cutting ideas.

pepperminttea
April 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Remind yourself why you love it; a deep treatment (an SMT maybe? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)), new hairtoys, or learning a few new updos might help. :) Youtube has some great tutorials, TorrinPaige's channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige) is one of my favourites.

Anje
April 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I generally avoid making appointments at salons. That takes care of most of it. :D

Being able to wear lots of different styles helps, but usually when I'm tempted to cut, it's because my hair's not behaving. Giving it a good clarifying wash and letting it sit in some moisturizing treatment for a while generally fixes that right up for me.

Sweetie
April 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I usually think I could not braid myself again....and this is pretty much enough for me - but I must admit i never have such temptations!

spidermom
April 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM
It helped me to set a goal like "nothing but small trims until I reach classic length." Then come here to get affirmations. It really helped when I was frustrated with my hair and wanted it shorter to have people here remind me that I had a goal.

AMW
April 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM
When I have the urge to cut my hair short I just talk to my husband and my mom ... those two can change my mind really fast!!

dragonchickx
April 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Man you guys are the best!! everyones posts helped, i dont think I will cut it all off, but yeah it needs a trim.. I will need up update my profile after my trim. sorry for my lack of participation : ( Feyes self trim always get it just the right u shape I need...

jaine
April 29th, 2011, 09:16 PM
The thing that helps me is to visit my hair stylist and let her trim it, because most of my cutting urges come from an OCD desire to have it even and nicely shaped, and I just don't trust myself to get it 100% even. When I pay to have someone trim it and triple-check it for evenness, I feel soooo much better and I only need one trim. When I do it myself I keep trimming it every other day because I think it's not even yet. (until I see a professional and then I stop trimming.)

But my goal next time I get a shape issue is to accept it as long as I can and then skip straight to the professional trim...I'll lose less hair that way.

teela1978
April 29th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Its been mentioned, but probably bears repeating. The 2-week rule really works for me. If I think to myself "gosh a bob would be cute on me" and can maintain that urge for a full 2 weeks, I can make the appointment I don't think I've ever made it past one week. The last time I was contemplating bangs it was more like 48 hours before I changed my mind.

Dars
April 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I put it up and forget about it (benign neglect) and try to focus on other things as well as thinking about my goal length and treating it so it can be as healthy as possible. Also I keep the scissors far away! Haha.

miss_purple
April 30th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Oh, I just look at the old short - medium hair length pictures and it works. I realise how beautiful I am thanks to my long(er) hair. So thank u so much hair for growing and making me look pretty! :D

Happy hair growing everybody!