PDA

View Full Version : ACV,honey and oil routine help?

vincent_cervant
April 26th, 2011, 09:57 PM
So since I joined in March I have been CWC about every three to four days and have been ACV rinse every two weeks.( two tablespoons of ACV in a 7.5 ounce bottle of water) I work around a lot of fryer oil all detailed here.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1524620&postcount=1

My hair has gone from dull and dry when washed to silky smooth. The problem is that it only lasts about a day then it gets dry again. So I assume that my conditioner just isn't enough moisture. Don't get me wrong it isn't dry to the point of breaking but its just doesn't have that healthy feel to it. I've been looking at SMT, since honey is supposed to help with moisture and I won't mind the lightening effect. I was thinking when I do the ACV rinse then using SMT and doing my routine as normal. Logic being that the ACV would get all the nasty out my my hair and let the SMT get in there and do its magic, while the CWC every three or so days would keep it moisturized in between.

My question is since the lightening affect comes from the peroxide that is produced from the honey and the ACV is already stripping everything from my hair. Would the Peroxide dry it more or does the conditioner and oil in SMT counter act it sufficiently? If not then how long should I wait or should I wait to use SMT on the off week?

vincent_cervant
April 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM
sorry its aloe not oil in SMT.

shikara
April 26th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Where do you live? Is the air dry? Is your hair otherwise healthy, or is there some damage, or is your hair very pourous? Sometimes honey won't work to moisturize - it can do the opposite. (Look Spidermom! I'm learning:D) The dry air can whip all the moisture out of your hair. Maybe this isn't the case where you live, but it sure was for me. If is might be, google 'colorado curly' - she has some helpful information on moisture and weather dew points. (My hair does not like aloe!!) You may need something to 'lock' in the moisture.

vincent_cervant
April 27th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I figure the problem is mechanical damage from my brush and other such types of abuse. I haven't use any chemicals or anything on it since I started to grow it and the air isn't dry around here.

Aaroo
April 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM
you can use damp hands or spray water to your hair in days between washes and wet your hair a bit, to help with the drying, Or apply some kind of oil in these days. I've read this in routines of some other folks here.

Anje
April 27th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I haven't noticed lightening effects from the honey in the SMT myself. Partly, this could be because I don't tend to leave it overnight like some people do, but partly it's because microwaving kills the peroxide activity of the honey. Even if I don't warm the SMT, I usually have nuked my honey at some point or other because it's started to crystalize. :)

The real purpose of the honey in an SMT is that it acts as a humectant, drawing moisture to itself. Other sugar syrups do this too, so you're welcome to use corn syrup or molasses or treacle or pancake syrup instead of honey if you wish. I've tried most of those with comparable results. Sometimes better, even, because occasionally there's something in honey (possibly wax?) that can leave hair rough, and substituting a different syrup avoids that aspect.