PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to wet brushing...HELP!!

Aud200
April 26th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Even though I know hair is at its weakest when wet (and therefore should not be brushed) I still find myself doing it every time my hair is washed. I do it fairly carefully, working gently through my hair without "ripping" through tangles. If I wait until it's dry, my hair gets frizz that is impossible to fix with a brush...whereas when I brush while wet and "set" my hair straight down my back, it is FAR tamer (especially at the roots). I suspect my hair is probably more wavy than my current hairtype classification, but I have never waited until my hair was fully dry to find out..

Does anyone have insights about how to avoid the frizzies that come along with manipulating wet hair? As I step out of the shower, I begin to see the hair becoming untamed even as I put my robe on :( Or, what about a wide tooth comb? I have been meaning to go out and get one, but just haven't gotten around to it...

jaine
April 26th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I also comb my hair when it's wet - for the exact same reasons, it helps me get it smooth so I can wet-set it. Personally, I think the tangles that I would get from not wet-setting my hair are more damaging to my hair than the comb. That's my theory anyway...I guess I'll find out in a few years if I was right, since I don't plan to stop this routine anytime soon! I like it and I like the resulting smooth hair.

Ps. On the topic of how to avoid frizzies... I like to dry my hair with hard hold gel in it, let it air dry totally hard, and then scrunch out the crunch or comb or the crunch. That gives me the smoothest, softest, frizz-free hair...smoother than a professional blowout or a curling iron. It's not for everyone though...some don't like the crunchy feeling even if it is temporary.

Miss Catrina
April 26th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I was actually asking about how bad wet combing is on here just a few days ago, and it seemed like the consensus was that it's not that bad if you have some common sense and patience about it, at least until you reach a certain length (a very long one).

As for frizzies, I'm a happy product user, so I don't have many agreeable suggestions for that. :p

Jenna0728
April 26th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I've always combed when mine is wet. It is usually fairly straight after I've washed the conditioner out, so I carefully dry it a bit and then comb it with a wide-toothed horn comb that I love. After adding a bit of coconut oil to it and combing again, it normally lays pretty straight with hardly any problem.

If you must brush when wet, I'd highly suggest a wide toothed comb of some sort. I bought mine several years ago from Heavenly Harvest, for around $15-$20 or so, I would've paid twice the amount for it.

rogue_psyche
April 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM
We have a similar hair type, and I always wet brush. I actually find that my tangles are more stubborn when my hair is dry and that my hair has more elasticity when wet. It makes my hair straighter rather than my 1c just wavy enough to look messy because its not wavy enough to look deliberate.

So I don't find wet brushing to be an unbreakable rule.

HintOfMint
April 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM
For many people, including myself, combing/brushing when wet is the best way to prevent tangles. Once it dries in clumps is when tangles form and become nigh impossible to get rid of.

Think about it, when hair is wet, often it has just been conditioned and detangled in the shower. Running a comb through it is when your hair is at its slipperiest and the comb should slide through easily.

Your only problem would be if you're facing serious knots when combing wet. Serious knots should have been taken care of when conditioning.

txhedgehog
April 26th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I have to wet brush, otherwise the tangles will seem to 'set' and never come out. I do the brushing very carefully and gently and that seems to do the trick. If I let it dry first, not only do the tangles set, but the frizzies will stay until the next wash.

I'm not sure how bad this is, but I do put my hair in a lose ponytail/bun type thing as it dries, also to tame the frizzies. How bad is that?

cupcake0619
April 26th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure how bad this is, but I do put my hair in a lose ponytail/bun type thing as it dries, also to tame the frizzies. How bad is that?

I do the same thing and was curious about the answer.. i also kinda scrunch while its drying and wondered if that was harmful too.. ?

lookin forward to seein an answer. :)

Lianna
April 27th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Wet combing is the best option for me. Just don't use a BBB to detangle your damp hair. I think those plastic/wood bristles are fine too.

For me it's even safe to use a BBB while damp to smooth my bangs back, very gently.

Mesmerise
April 27th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Back in the day, I ALWAYS used to brush wet hair. It never caused me any problems at all.

In the whole scheme of things, there are far worse things you can do to your hair than brush it while it's wet!

In fact... reading this has made me decide to try it (LOL). I'm wondering if it can help set mine and tame the frizzlies too!!!

Signe
April 27th, 2011, 04:22 AM
why not dry brush/comb immediately before you wash? that way it will already be detangled when you get out and you can wet set w/o combing. this is what i do every time and it works really well.

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I have a shower comb and comb mine as I rinse the conditioner out, which is easier as the pressure from the water helps with tangle. I have never brushed my hair when wet that I can remember, as it dries I use a body shop wooden comb as it makes my hair straighter.

Firefox7275
April 27th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I used to brush and ponytail my hair when wet; as a result I have breakage around the face and at the back where the elastic would sit. As I only have shoulder length hair this was not for detangling but rather an attempt to tame the frizz. Since I have changed my routine (reduced sulphate shampoos, CO-washing, cone-free conditioners, combing not brushing, not touching hair whilst air drying) my hair is less poofy/ fluffy. :happydance:

Perhaps you could make buying a wide tooth comb a priority - eBay sell a wide selection at competitive prices - and stop trying to fight your waves and curls?

wvgemini
April 27th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I've finally broken myself of wet brushing, but I still wet comb. I just need that detangling. I've even tried combing before the shower, in the shower, etc. I still comb after I get out. I think as long as you're easy with it, you should be okay. I do agree with the suggestion to get a wide-tooth comb though.

Madora
April 27th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Wet brushing...God, that makes me cringe. That said, I have nothing against combing your hair with a wide tooth comb while the hair is still wet (preferably still full of conditioner).

Just do it very slowly - starting at the ends and working up towards the scalp. Don't use the comb to pull out the tangle/mat. Use your f i n g e r s to detangle individual mats!

Rinse out carefully (don't toss your head about..it just creates more tangles! If your hair is long enough, take the rinsed hair in your hand and place it down your back..or in front, if you prefer.

Don't wait for it to dry. Detangle while it is wet. Do it s l o w l y! Gently press your palms down the detangled length and then wrap your hair in a towel that is held vertically. Pin the towel around your head, and finish your bath routine. After 10 minutes, undo the towel, finger comb your hair, then detangle again, then AIR DRY. I use a special "fanning" technique that drys my thick, 40inch plus hair in 20 minutes indoors.

Re: frizzies..these come with the territory. You can use your palms to help tame those wild ones..or better yet, try a small dab of coconut oil (rub it between your palms to melt it, then apply to the ends -- or all over if you wish. Does wonders!

elbow chic
April 27th, 2011, 07:17 AM
There was this website I was reading the other day: tightlycurled.com I think it was?

Anyway, her whole method revolved around wet-brushing with a head full of conditioner, and then, interestingly, just leaving the conditioner in.

She has hip-length hair so clearly it wasn't hurting her too much.

I'm a wet-brusher myself. Not with a bristle brush but a metal-bristled cushion brush. Feels too good to give up: my scalp itches something fierce if I have to sit around with a damp, tangly head for five hours waiting for it to dry. Plus, then there is the problem of not being able to GO anywhere for those five hours because it's nowhere close to presentable.

I'm all right with going out with smoothly damp-bunned hair but not with damp tangled hair.

I own a wide-toothed comb but I actually feel like the cushion brush is gentler. Weird.

Aud200
April 27th, 2011, 08:39 AM
why not dry brush/comb immediately before you wash? that way it will already be detangled when you get out and you can wet set w/o combing. this is what i do every time and it works really well.

I do detangle before, and I don't really manipulate my length in the shower other than to apply liberal amounts of conditioner. I just get frustrated by the immediate flyaways that ALWAYS turn to an untameable frizz whenever I get out of the shower and even move my hair to spread it out and get my robe on. My hair always gets into 1 massive "clump" made up of little clumps...they aren't really knotted/tangled, which is why I try to just separate them with my fingers, which is when I get the flyaways/frizz.

We have a similar hair type, and I always wet brush. I actually find that my tangles are more stubborn when my hair is dry and that my hair has more elasticity when wet. It makes my hair straighter rather than my 1c just wavy enough to look messy because its not wavy enough to look deliberate.

I agree that my hair looks "messy" whenever I don't wet brush, since it frizzes and doesn't have deliberate waves. Yes, Firefox, I am "fighting" my waves in that sense, but I don't want to sacrifice having tidier hair :o

I will definitely look into getting a wide tooth comb ASAP and perhaps trying it out while my hair still has conditioner in? Do people comb their hair while it is under a stream of water?

Thanks to all for responding! I will have to experiment with some of these ideas!

Pickelhaube
April 27th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I usually fingercomb my hair when it's wet to detangle it, and run it over with a wooden comb while it's drying. I feel like combing/brushing wet hair probably isn't as damaging if you don't use it for detangling, just for smoothing the hair out.

If detangling wet hair with your fingers makes it frizz, maybe you could put some oil or a leave-in on your hands first?

spidermom
April 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I've noticed there are a number of things that I thought were perfectly o.k. to do when my hair was shorter, then I got around hip to classic length and wondered why my ends were so weak, with roughened cuticle and lots of splitting.

For example, I used to comb conditioner through in the shower. Last time I tried that, I could feel hair being pulled and stretched. So now I comb and brush thoroughly before washing, then use techniques that don't mess my hair around too much during the washing, conditioning, and drying process. I get the nicest wave and curl that way, too, as well as less frizz. The frizz reappears when I comb out my hair before putting it up or braiding it, and that's when I break out the product (gel, styling cream, etc).

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Interesting Spidey, thats what I do at the moment, though I am nowhere near your length. Its a reminder to re-evaluate my hair as it goes through different stages. A lot of stuff my hair loved when shorter, just doesn't work.

I am now wondering if my ends are breaking due to doing this, thanks for sharing your routine. I will try that.

spidermom
April 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM
That's the key, I think. Don't assume your current routine is going to work as your hair reaches new lengths. Always pay attention. By the time ends get to hip and beyond, those ends are pretty old and have been through a lot, including a lot of stretching if you're brushing while wet.

Lianna
April 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM
There was this website I was reading the other day: tightlycurled.com I think it was?

Anyway, her whole method revolved around wet-brushing with a head full of conditioner, and then, interestingly, just leaving the conditioner in.

She has hip-length hair so clearly it wasn't hurting her too much.

It's tightlycurly.com. :) And her hair is HIP LENGTH WHILE TIGHTLY CURLY!!! (http://www.tightlycurly.com/photos/hairshots/) Her hair is so awesome. :cheese:

rogue_psyche
April 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
That's the key, I think. Don't assume your current routine is going to work as your hair reaches new lengths. Always pay attention. By the time ends get to hip and beyond, those ends are pretty old and have been through a lot, including a lot of stretching if you're brushing while wet.

I agree with this a lot, although when I reached hip the thing that needed changing was my conditioner. GVP Conditioning Balm was perfect for APL to Waist, but wasn't doing the trick for my tangle-prone ends at Hip. Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition gives me so much slip that when I finger comb pre-shower, wash, condition, and brush with damp hair (not sopping wet) I never snag my hair on my Denman once. As long as I work slowly, from the ends up, I get no breakage or stretching.

Perhaps I could skip the brushing if I am indeed tangle free after the wash, but I have a theory about my 1c hair and the mix of wavy bits and straight bits being a recipe for tangles if I don't kill a little bit of the wave. Maybe one day when I don't need my hair to dry quickly I'll do a hairtyping to check out how my natural texture behaves at this length.

Like you said, we've gotta pay attention. I do think part of that is trying new things, even if you think your current strategy is the best one.

fluffypuffy
April 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Even though I know hair is at its weakest when wet (and therefore should not be brushed) I still find myself doing it every time my hair is washed. I do it fairly carefully, working gently through my hair without "ripping" through tangles. If I wait until it's dry, my hair gets frizz that is impossible to fix with a brush...whereas when I brush while wet and "set" my hair straight down my back, it is FAR tamer (especially at the roots). I suspect my hair is probably more wavy than my current hairtype classification, but I have never waited until my hair was fully dry to find out..

Does anyone have insights about how to avoid the frizzies that come along with manipulating wet hair? As I step out of the shower, I begin to see the hair becoming untamed even as I put my robe on :( Or, what about a wide tooth comb? I have been meaning to go out and get one, but just haven't gotten around to it...

My hair's curly and I do the same thing! I think as long as you're removing some of the moisture and handling everything gently (brushing from ends to roots), things should be fine.

elbow chic
April 27th, 2011, 05:10 PM
It's tightlycurly.com. :) And her hair is HIP LENGTH WHILE TIGHTLY CURLY!!! (http://www.tightlycurly.com/photos/hairshots/) Her hair is so awesome. :cheese:

That's it! Yes, her hair is really spectacular, especially compared to the "before" pics... sometimes I assume that people with awesome hair ALWAYS had awesome hair and were NEVER awkward-looking. lol

Signe
April 27th, 2011, 11:46 PM
my hair looks frizzy immediately after i get out of the shower, too, but if i let it dry completely without touching it the frizz disappears...i think that awkward half wet stage always looks like it will turn out worse than it eventually does =P