PDA

View Full Version : Depo shot and hair thinning :(

ghilliegirl_an
April 26th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I've been on the depo shot for about 6 months now and just found out today that one of the side effects of it is hair thinning. I have had hair thinning around my temple area lately. I originally thought it was pulling from my Irish dance wig because that is the area I pull tightly and hairspray alot(I know that's damaging but it's not really an option not to. I also was very sick in about November so I thought that it might also be shedding from that since I've heard of people shedding a few months after the sickness. I'm fairly certain now that the hair thinning is because of the depo shot which was further enhanced by wearing my wig so often, I've also had other side effects such as persistent headaches. I don't know whether it's worth it to stay on the depo shot or to get off of it and try self medicating instead. I should mention that I'm on the depo shot for severe menstrual cramps not actual birth control. While I've been on it the depo shot has helped the menstrual cramps and everything else and it's been such a relief but the hair thinning has been really bothering me lately and my hair seems much more brittle all over than it used to. I wondered if any of you longhairs have been on the depo shot and if these side effects went away after you'd been on it for a year or more or what you did. I'm really disappointed with all this and am just looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

-Ashley

Kristamommyx3
April 26th, 2011, 07:14 PM
my MIL told me to NEVER get the shot because it made her hair fall out just like you said...

torrilin
April 26th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I had no noticeable thinning on the shot. My sister doesn't either. Had in my case because like you, I have severe cramps, and my doctor would rather not keep me on Depo-Provera permanently due to the risk of lowered bone density. I'm a pretty active cyclist, and I'm not rigorous enough about impact exercise for my doc's taste, so we've moved me to a lower dose progesterone medication. My sister is still on it, since she does a lot more weight lifting and walking than I do, and her doctor is much less concerned about bone loss.

The most common side effect I've seen mentioned is weight gain. Depo-Provera works by convincing your body that it is pregnant, so weight gain is very common. Both my sister and I have this side effect, despite being active. (with our genetics, it would likely take a serious athletic training regimen to work around it... there's a strong family history of gestational diabetes)

It is pretty common for women to notice hair loss or gain effects with pregnancy. I wouldn't be surprised if Depo can have effects on hair as a result.

I think Depo-Provera is an excellent drug, if it is used appropriately. It is a very high hormone dose, and that means the side effects risk is also high. Since it got my period drug intake to go from about 4.8g of ibuprofen per period day down to nothing, I think it was a good choice. (yes, my intake was measured in grams, not milligrams... and even then it was not fully knocking out the pain) Ibuprofen is a pretty safe drug, but it is brutally hard on your liver and kidneys to process megadoses even of pretty safe stuff. It's also pretty nasty for your gastro-intestinal tract and it can cause internal bleeding or ulcerations if taken improperly.

It's a tough situation, and you're going to have to balance a whole lot of factors to come up with an appropriate pain control system. You're the one living with the pain, and your pain is not going to be just like anyone else's.

(for me, the decision is pretty trivial... even one missed ibuprofen dose leaves me in pain bad enough that I fantasize about suicide. missing more than 3 means I'm vomiting from the pain. and the amount of drugs I needed to knock the pain down kept going up...)

Firefox7275
April 27th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Could you stop pulling your hair so tight and switch your hairspray for flaxseed gel or aloe vera gel? Could you wear a different type of hair piece that is affixed to a different part of your scalp such as a half or three quarter wig? Also what is your diet like? Both ill-health and regular physical activity increase your body's need for nutrients, yet people often report finding it difficult to regular balanced meals. Healthy eating can benefit hair health, regulate hormones and even reduce dysmenorrhoea (period pain)! :D

blue_nant
May 1st, 2011, 02:59 PM
I've been on depo for 20+ years. When it became available where I am, I checked into the side effects. I was already a longhair then. The side effects brought up were all the same side effects for all the other contraceptives. Hair was *not* mentioned. I see upon a fast google that it is now listed in the more detailed lists of side effects.

My hair IS thinner now, but hey, it's also 20 years later. I noticed nothing drastic with my hair. I love the crap out of Depo, but it sure isn't for everyone; it affects us differently.

I do nothing stressful to my hair besides comb and braid it, so if there are hair stressors to blame, I have no idea.

HTH! Good luck!

MafiaPrincess
May 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM
I've been on it for over 10 years, no hair thinning, or any other nasty side effect.