PDA

View Full Version : Can't CO, can't shampoo, what to do? >:(

LisaMonster
April 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I started CO probably sometime in October, and have had great success with it for the past six months or so, but now, I think it might have to do with it getting warmer and more humid, (as it seems to be happening with a few other people around here) it's just not getting my scalp as clean as I'd like it anymore. I'm pretty frustrated about this. (Note: I've also been regularly doing ACV rinses)

The first direction I went was trying a sulfate-free shampoo. I KNOW that my scalp hates sulfates. It flares up really badly, gets red and scabby and sulfates are just a no. I went with Burt's Bees Grapefruit and Sugar Beet, diluted with water and jojoba oil. The first time, that worked really great. My scalp was clean and happy, my length was soft, and nothing was dried out. So probably about three days later, I washed again, and my hair was soft and happy, but my scalp started to get sort of scabby. It wasn't a complete flare up like with sulfate shampoos, but it was not nice.

Then I decided that maybe I could wash with the diluted Burt's Bees once a week and CO the other 1-2 times. I CO washed last night, and I just look dirty and not clean. :(

Could the reaction to the Burt's Bees just be my scalp acclimating to being washed with a shampoo again and it's something that will go away, or should I try something else?

If so, what? I don't want to be scabby or greasy! >: (

luxepiggy
April 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Have you tried working the conditioner through dry hair before you get in the shower? I usually apply conditioner to dry hair about 20 minutes prior to getting in the shower, my hair seems to come out much cleaner that way than with regular CO (^(oo)^)

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 06:54 PM
You could always try making your own shampoo with castile soap and some essential oil or are you open to trying something like soapnuts, i had great success with these but ran out.

LisaMonster
April 26th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the suggestions!

I'll try dry CO-ing next time.

Unfortunately soap nuts did not so much work for me.

krissykins
April 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Shampoo bars?

Dry COing is awesome. I use it for cleaning out really greasy castor oil treatments.

HuggyBear
April 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Another vote for dry COing! It works great for me. I have the same issue with sulfates and I can't find a sulfate-free shampoo that works. :)

Firefox7275
April 27th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I would suggest you have your scalp looked at by a doctor or pharmacist - you may have atopic eczema or seborrhoeic dermatitis (greasy dandruff) or an allergy. I have eczema on my elbow and find it is aggravated by shampoo; SD is generally treated with an antifungal shampoo. Both conditions respond well to a change in diet or lifestyle.

In the mean time have you tried the Burts Bees without the addition of jojoba oil? The latter may be too rich for your scalp. Otherwise you might try a sulphate-free shampoo base or paraben-free conditioner base, basically a product with as few ingredients/ additives as possible.

motormuffin
April 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4040324/3854543.htm
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/neutrogena-t/sal-therapeutic-shampoo-scalp-build-up-control/ID=prod352987-product

These are the two shampoos I rotate between. I couldn't do CO or use the Burts Bees. I can't get the conditioner on my scalp and I've narrow that down to two conditioners that don't break me out.

bella77
April 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I will second the trip to see a professional, any type of problem with the skin should be looked at. It could be something that may be treated relatively easily and you will have fret for naught. I also recommend shampoo bars, there are scads out there. CV is a favorite of mine as well as PrarieLand and SoapLady. Check Etsy or just do an online search.

Anje
April 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM
You know, I haven't seen a lot of people who use Burt's Bees products on their hair successfully. It might just be that you're not good with that specific product.

Perhaps try shampoo bars. You'll almost certainly need an acidic rinse with those, but it's a good non-sulfate option, and some of the herb ones I've seen from CV seem to fix a lot of problem scalps.

If you want to go a bit more off the beaten path, what about washing with indian herbs? Shakaiki and Aritha and all those.

Copasetic
April 27th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I would suggest shampoo bars, or trying some other SLS-free shampoos. Kiss my Face makes one that I really like.