PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Bangs Advice

Annie Fulton
April 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hi there hair peoples! I wanted to ask for some advice. I have BSL length hair and bangs. I do not like to overwash my hair, and normally I can go a few days without washing and be okay. My bangs, however, are a problem. When they get hit with the grease they look like they are plastered to my head and I can't get them to do anything. Does anyone know of a remedy for this without having to wash my entire head? I only recently decided to grow my hair out so I don't know all the tricks just yet. But that's why I came here. :D

trillian
April 26th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'm currently obsessed with dry shampoo. Have you considered trying it on your bangs?

Annie Fulton
April 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'm currently obsessed with dry shampoo. Have you considered trying it on your bangs?

No, I never have, just because I am a little afraid of it. :) Even though I don't like the greasy look, I don't think I'd like a white powdery look (I have black hair so it would definitely show on me!). I was always afraid that was what dry shampoo would do.

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Good idea !! just another product on my shopping list .. lol :-)

silverjen
April 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM
You can try putting the rest of your hair back and just rinsing your bangs with plain water. I do this over the sink, and then give them a quick towel dry.

Viechen
April 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I am not sure if this will help but when I had bangs they had a tendency to get greasy as well. I just pinned them back on day 2 or 3 after washing... I dont like them very close to my head so I fold them back and then move them forward towards my forehead about a centimeter to create a very little 'bump' (to prevent the 'plastered against your head look'). I hope this makes sense and helps a little...

vanity_acefake
April 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I have short Betty bangs and have very dark brown hair and I use either dry shampoo for brunettes or I pull all my hair away from my bangs, only wet my bangs over the sink and shampoo them, then rinse.
:)

Kristin
April 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I have bangs, but I CO pretty much every day so grease isn't a problem. When I used to stretch washes I would either pin them back when they got gross or just wash my bangs.

MandyBeth
April 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM
For darker hair, a VERY light dusting of cocoa powder, used as dry shampoo and brushed out works pretty darn well. Plus your hair smells good :)

LisaMonster
April 26th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Depending on how long they are, you may be able to pin them back on "greasy days". I either do that or lace braid them, but my bangs may be longer than yours.

DoubleCrowned
April 26th, 2011, 09:24 PM
You could try working corn starch into them at night, then rinse it out with plain water in the morning after it has done its job.

BrightEyes
April 26th, 2011, 09:31 PM
The day before wash day my bangs are usually a little greasy. I pull the rest of my hair back and shampoo my bangs in the sink. It works well for me.

Annie Fulton
April 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. :) I do occassionally just pin my bangs back in a pouf, like some people suggested, but I try not to do that too much since I don't think it flatters me. I have a big forehead so I look much better if my bangs are hanging down. ;)
MandyBeth, I may give that cocoa powder a try! I have used baby powder in the past, (a long time ago, mind you), but I never thought of using something with a darker color like that for darker hair.

ElvenArchess
April 26th, 2011, 10:50 PM
My friend bought the spray version of dry shampoo that you comb in; she loves it. She actually didn't have to shower for about five days (her schedule that week was horrendous).

You can try putting the rest of your hair back and just rinsing your bangs with plain water. I do this over the sink, and then give them a quick towel dry.
This is what I used to do when my hair was unruly in high school, it worked well for me.

These are both very good suggestions, imo. :)

MeganE
April 26th, 2011, 11:05 PM
You could try using a BBB (Boar Bristle Brush) to distribute the oils from your crown throughout your length. My bangs used to get greasy in a day when I was a teen, but since I've cut them again, I've been doing two things differently. Firstly, I've been stretching out washes, so my scalp doesn't produce as much grease. And when I do get oily hair, the BBB spreads it out to the length which keeps my hair from looking oily for a while longer, so I can stretch out washes even further. I usually end up washing my hair before it really needs it, just because I like to do it. :D I do think the BBB helps a lot with keeping the bangs looking clean, though.

shikara
April 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM

I do this, but I use a dot of shampoo. Works wonderfully!!!

|Xei
April 27th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I have dark hair, and I can use dry shampoo no problem. Just make sure you massage the stuff in real well, and you won't be able to see a white cast.

You can also try brushing out the dry shampoo after it's had time to soak in the excess oils with a BBB.

MonaLisa
April 27th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I always thought it's normal to wash only your bangs when they get in such state. When my bangs were short...i could wash them every day. Of course I wasn't going to wash my clean hair every day!:o

Chetanlaiho
April 27th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I have blunt bangs, and if it's really bad I wash only my bangs :) (as in, bend over underneath the sink xD). If it's not that bad yet, I'll use a bit of talcum powder, and either just let that sit or with wet fingers kind of scrub through my bangs? Don't know why but it seems to help xD

Or I just part them at some point and do both sides to the side (sounds weird), the greasy doesn't show that much that way ^^ (I'm a bit repetitive today? xD)

Dry shampoo can help, but it can't work miracles. BBB tends to make my bangs look even more greasy so I wouldn't recommend that. But just a slight massage with a tiny bit of water can help sometimes :)

Anje
April 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I think a lot of people just shampoo their bangs, leaving the rest of the hair dry. A little extra washing won't hurt them, since they're trimmed so much more frequently than growing-out length.