PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts after my first sulfate free, cone free wash

JadeTigress
April 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
So I bought some new shampoo for my first step towards (hopefully) healthier hair. I got Avalon Organics Volumizing Rosemary shampoo and conditioner. I didn't do a CWC yet, I wanted to wash my hair like I've always done first just to get a better feel for how my hair reacts to the new stuff.

At first I wasn't really liking it, because the shampoo doesn't lather up like I'm used to, so I had a hard time working it through my scalp and figuring out how much to use. The conditioner I was ok with (though I don't normally use conditioner because it just turns me into a greaseball and makes my hair really limp and flat and icky), it was a lot thicker than I'm used to, but it was easier to work through my hair than the shampoo. This is where I did do something different from my normal routine, because before I washed the conditioner out I worked my new tangle teezer through my hair, and I rinsed my hair normal and upside down. I still wasn't really that impressed with the shampoo or the conditioner (it does smell really good, though).

However, I was surprised because after I was done rinsing and I slightly towel dried my hair, it felt really light on my head, and my scalp felt clear. Usually my hair feels really heavy after I wash it, and my scalp is always itchy whether my hair is wet or dry.

But then it got even better after my hair dried. I brushed through it, and it feels thicker, lighter, it hangs and moves better, it's shinier, and it's a whole lot softer, without having that slick feeling that I always get from conditioners. And so far my scalp is way less itchy. I washed my hair last night, and it still feels the same way today. Usually by now it would be getting greasy again, but it still looks just as good as it did right after I washed it.

So I'm really happy with the results, and I'm thinking I'm a convert now. :p

I do have a couple issues though, that I was wondering if I could get some advice on.

As good as my hair looks, I can definitely see all the damage now, and there's a lot of broken hairs and flyaways and stuff. I guess it's a bit of a halo. Now that I can see what damage I actually have, do you guys have any recommendations for starting to fix it all, that won't weigh my fine hair down and ruin the results I'm getting from my shampoo and conditioner?

And my other issue, and this is the big one, is that the amount I shed during this shower is about as much as I shed during the last two combined, and then some. Do you think it'll stay this way, or do you think maybe it's just shock or something from putting something completely different on my hair? I really want to keep using this stuff, it's pretty much completely perfect, except for the increased shedding.

Thanks a bunch, guys! Sorry for the long post.

racrane
April 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Well, I don't have much to say except I'm starting to go cone free and I like it, too. :) I'm glad you're a convert. :)

TheMechaGinger
April 26th, 2011, 05:04 PM
All I can say about the damage is that there really isn't anyway to fix it, you just have to let it grow out until it isn't a halo anymore. A really light application of coconut oil really helps me with fly aways like that though, it's a pretty light oil so it won't weight your hair down as long as you only use a very small amount. You could try jojoba also, that's a lighter oil too. And maybe using the tangle teezer in the shower loosened some hairs that normally wouldn't shed in the shower?

isshevital
April 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
My guess is that the increased shedding is caused by the Tangle Teezer rather than your change in shampoo/condish.

As far as the visible damage, there's not really anything you can do to "fix" your hair, since it is dead keratin and cannot be repaired once damaged. Silicones cause your hair to appear less damaged, so perhaps you shouldn't eliminate them completely if you want a way to disguise it. Maybe try some clear aloe vera gel to help calm the frizzies if you want to be completely cone-free? Honestly your hair type is quite different than mine so I can't be sure that what works for me will work for you, so hopefully someone else with fine hair can chime in!