PDA

View Full Version : Hair sticks pulling on hair help!

KatiSasha
April 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I am between SL and APL and just now can start using the hairstick(s) to put my hair up. When I twist the hair and pull the stick through it always seems like there's a bit of hair being pulled on from the top of my head. If I pull on it (very gently) to loosen a bit from the stick it loosens the whole twist. I remember having an issue with it even when I had longer hair.

Questions - am I doing something wrong, is it bad for my hair? More importantly, it is worse for my hair than a loose, half-pulled through ponytail? Help!

Thank you in advance!

spidermom
April 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I think sticks are easier on your hair than a ponytail-holder. As for what you're doing wrong - if anything - I'd have to see what you do and how you do it. Sometimes it takes a number of tries to get a bun up and comfortable, so I don't know all the tricks. Just keep trying; that's my motto.

wvgemini
April 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm the same length as you (more or less) and I get the same "tugging" you seem to be talking about. I think it's a case of torquing something (the hair or the stick) too tight. Basically, it's a learning curve :( maybe try not twisting so tight before inserting the hair stick?

Anje
April 26th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I find I get a lot of pulling if I use crossed sticks (rather than parallel or in a V) or if I put the sticks in close to vertical rather than roughly horizontal. The closer to horizontal my stick is, the more comfortable I find it.

catspank
April 26th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I have this problem too, my feeling is that I'm doing something when making my buns that is pulling the hairs from the top part of my head tighter than the rest, and then when I put the stick in and the bun "settles" it pulls even more. I actually had the same problem with ponytails.

One thing that helps a lot is to wear my buns very low on my head. I would say to just keep trying (like spidermom said :)) until you find something that works for you. Different buns, different sticks, two sticks rather than one, or a fork, or a clip. Something *will* work for you, I promise!

HairStickler
April 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Have you checked the tip of your hairstick to make sure it's perfectly smooth? Sometimes there can be tiny imperfections that are impossible for my fingers to feel but they will pull my hair. Then I will rub the area with 0000 steel wool and the stick will stop catching on my hair. (If your hairstick is painted, you might want to ignore my advice because the steel wool might rub the paint off.)

KatiSasha
April 27th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm happy to know that it's pretty normal then. My hair sticks are made out of bone, so they're very smooth. I'll just keep trying.

Makes me feel better that you all use hair sticks and have gorgeous hair , so pulling in moderation is not that bad :)

Bene
April 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM
From what I've noticed about using sticks and forks is if it pulls then you're starting out too tight. If you're starting out too tight, you might want to hold off on that specific bun until you've gained a little bit more length.

If it don't fit, don't force it ;)

hsdoodles
April 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Even though my hair is longer than you, I sometimes have this problem. There will be ONE strand that is too tight and when I try to loosen it it loosens the whole updo. :(

supermanok03
April 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I really had this problem when I was trying to use a hairstick in a cinnabun. Then I learned the lazy wrap bun and sticks rarely ever pull. I think my problem was that the stick was pulling directly on scalp hair where I was tucking it in. But with the lazy wrap bun it's against the hair in the bun, if that makes any sense. Now I only use lazy wrap buns for hairsticks. Another toy that really lessens the tugging is my four prong 60th street fork. I can use this with just a cinnabun and it doesn't pull at all and stays all day! I also like tight buns but i find that these two things really don't pull my hair at all. The 60th street fork has been in my hair while I painted the house/did yard work without having to readjust at all!
Another thing is I only ever use one hair stick at a time. I don't have very thick hair so I find that two sticks take up way too much space and pull my hair.
Good luck finding what works for you!!