PDA

View Full Version : Hair health and swimming pools :P

Yasmine91
April 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I plan to go swimming this week but I read that chlorine is not good for the hair. But I can't wear them ridiculous caps, it looks like im wearing a bloody condom on my head and they're horrendously uncomfortable XP.

What can I do to make sure my hair doesn't damage while my hair comes into contact with the water?

Fingolphin
April 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I plan to go swimming this week but I read that chlorine is not good for the hair. But I can't wear them ridiculous caps, it looks like im wearing a bloody condom on my head and they're horrendously uncomfortable XP.

What can I do to make sure my hair doesn't damage while my hair comes into contact with the water?

I'm curious as well. You're right; the chemicals in the pool are dangerous to hair. I dated a girl once who was on the swim team and during the season she would observe that her hair did get a bit thinner on her head and arms.

Panth
April 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM
A good start would be to drench your hair in (unchlorinated) water from the showers before you get into the pool, though how much good that would do without putting a cap over the top of the wetted hair, I'm not sure.

Sunshineliz
April 26th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I read somewhere (forget where) that if your hair is already soaked it's already absorbed water and won't absorb any more of the chlorinated water. Also heard some people put conditioner on their hair before they go in. Others said coconut oil was good. Still others that as long as you wash the chlorine out immediately afterward the damage would be minimal.

I haven't really tried these yet, but I'm planning on swimming a lot this summer and will try soaking my hair, and maybe some coconut oil. I'm trying these out on my kids too! (Obviously swim caps would be impractical on them) Any other ideas will be good to hear too!

BabyRay33
April 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I swim quite often and I always put some hair oil on the ends and the sides of my head where my swim cap goes. The caps are really retarded looking, but I don't know anyone at the pool and I think it is ok for older ladies in their aquarobics class to see my condom head. lol.

But if you can't handle the ego damage that goes with the cap, I think the oil would still help.

pepperminttea
April 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I don't use swim caps either; my head's too big for them. :p I do a deep oiling on my hair the night before (I swim first thing in the morning, so I'm not really all that 'switched on' to do it when I wake up), braid it, sleep, and then get up to go swimming with the same braid. Before I get in the pool, I soak my hair through with shower water. As soon as I get home, I mix up my various shower concoctions, take out the braid very loosely, and wash my hair. I don't try to detangle it until after I've washed it, since chlorine makes my hair behave and feel like straw. Break out the deep moisture treatments, your hair will need them.

I've been swimming once or twice a week for the past two months, this routine seems to be keeping my hair happy. :) I've also heard club soda rinses work well but I've yet to try them myself.

BrightEyes
April 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
it looks like im wearing a bloody condom on my head and they're horrendously uncomfortable XP.

^This just cracked me up LOL!!!!

I've actually been wondering about swimming pool water and hair as well. I am going on a trip in a few weeks and plan to spend lots of time playing in the pool.:) I currently have bleached highlights, so I'm also worried about the chlorine turning my hair green.

Would wetting my hair and applying coconut oil before swimming help with that as well?

spidermom
April 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Wet hair, apply oil, braid.

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM
hmmm .. I don't know about your pool rules but here in my pool locally, we're not allowed to have oils or colour rinses .. I don't go swimming and I probably would use the oil anyway with a fabric condom .. lol :-)

Good luck to you ..

Yasmine91
April 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM
^This just cracked me up LOL!!!!

I've actually been wondering about swimming pool water and hair as well. I am going on a trip in a few weeks and plan to spend lots of time playing in the pool.:) I currently have bleached highlights, so I'm also worried about the chlorine turning my hair green.

Would wetting my hair and applying coconut oil before swimming help with that as well?

Lol glad I made ya larf :3 Oh wow chlorine coloured hair! that would be....strangely awesome LOL

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very much appreciated. Seems I'm not the only one who doesn't like these horrible garments XP.

xoxophelia
April 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Well I was on swim team for a long time so I may be able to help. Always preshower so your hair is wet going in and you can even put a little bit of conditioner or oil through your hair. After, don't let the water dry in your hair but go to shampoo out the length right away. If it is just a few times you should be fine :)

Bluegrass Babe
April 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM

I read somewhere else on the forum that ketchup can remove any discolorings from chlorine in blonde hair. It sounds strange but it has to do with the acidity and the vitamin C content. (So there is some science behind it - not just old wives tales! ;) )

The best solution of course, is to avoid it in the first place. Pre-wetting, coconut oil, and washing chlorine out before it dries, and conditioning treatments are all great ideas. I would add that using a rinse would also help. Miracle water or club soda would be best. (Blondes shouldn't use ACV.)

Here is a ketchup link (There may be others).

Carrie Ingalls has found tons of threads you might find useful. Look at post #7 in this thread.