PDA

View Full Version : I finally managed a sock bun.

vanity_acefake
April 26th, 2011, 02:01 PM
This has taken many frustrating attempts as I was trying the roll hair up inside sock bun which I just cannot do.
This is the other version.
I am rather chuffed with the results.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/vanity_acefake/f1e23cea.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/vanity_acefake/3ac21520.jpg

vanity_acefake
April 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
The first image was taken by my DD (aged 7). She thought it was a brilliant idea to photograph my hair.
The second image was taken by DS. (aged 14). He thought it was just weird!

christine1989
April 26th, 2011, 02:06 PM
That is a great sockbun! Mine are hardly ever that rond or that even.

MaryLA
April 26th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Congrats on the sock bun! Looks great!

vanity_acefake
April 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Thank you both so much.
Christine1989 I used a donut thing instead of an actual sock. I think that's why it's so round.

christine1989
April 26th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Thank you both so much.
Christine1989 I used a donut thing instead of an actual sock. I think that's why it's so round.

I've been looking for one of those everywhere but no luck. They look eaiser to use than a sock (plus it's nice to use something that hasn't been on your foot :p).

vanity_acefake
April 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I got mine in boots (UK).
Have you tried Sally's?
Or if you have a Claire's Accessories shop they usually have them.

Pumpkin
April 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Woo Hoo!!! Looks great!! I love the sock bun!!!! :)

hsdoodles
April 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I have tried to do this maaany times, but I can never manage it. :( I think it may just be that I have too much hair, because it's *impossible* to get all the ends in to start it. Eh. :shrug:

vanity_acefake
April 26th, 2011, 04:17 PM
hsdoodles I know exactly what you mean. I have tried and failed on tucking my hair in and rolling the sock down to get the bun.
The way I achieved the sock bun above is put my hair in a ponytail, put sock (donut) over ponytail and slide it down ponytail to head. Then I put my head forward and spread all my hair evenly round the sock and popped a hairband over all of it. Then gather all your ends together and wrap around the bun and secure with kirby grips (bobby pins).
There are excellent videos on YouTube showing you this technique and the tucking in hair and rolling inside sock.
I hope this helps.
Pumpkin thank you so much. I love sock buns too. They make you look like you have massive amounts of hair.

BrightEyes
April 26th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Your sock bun looks lovely! I can't wait until I can do one. They look so elegant and classy.

Great job!:cheese:

MeganAimee
April 26th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I love this! My hair is only 16 inches so I cant really do much with this yet. But I tried with a small sock and could not for the life of me get my hair tucked in it! xD

MissCoco
April 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Beautiful sock bun! Congrats! :D :cheese:

braidedbeauty
April 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Congratulations! I could never do a sock bun I have just a few layers in my hair and it just made it impossible...:(

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Looks lovely, I use the bun doughnuts but even at waist its on of my favorite syles.

dulce
April 29th, 2011, 09:42 PM
looks nice and full-

BritishBraider
April 30th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Thats brill! I have so much trouble with the rolling up ones, your hair is so shiny!

Aniah
April 30th, 2011, 04:50 AM
That's really pretty :)

bunzfan
April 30th, 2011, 04:53 AM
I t looks really good, i cant even do that style.

CurlyZ
April 30th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I've been looking for one of those everywhere but no luck. They look eaiser to use than a sock (plus it's nice to use something that hasn't been on your foot :p).

I bought mine yesterday at Walgreens, from Conair, around 3$.
But I have to admit it took me a while to find it in the hair accessories aisle!
I was standing there staring, staring....nothing.
10 minutes later I thought: well, looks like they don't have doughnuts.
I turned around to leave and THERE IT IS! Hangig in the upper row in a small rectangle box. It says conair BUN MAKER and has a pic of a ladys back head with a bun. Where was I looking all the time?!? :rolleyes:

nory87
April 30th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I am sorry, but what is a sock bun?:confused:

jenhow
May 1st, 2011, 02:38 AM
You have done an amazing job on this - I want one of those donut thingies now!

sharicat
May 1st, 2011, 02:52 AM
Your hair looks great :) So lovely and shiny!

CurlyZ
May 1st, 2011, 08:36 AM
I am sorry, but what is a sock bun?:confused:

A bun made with a rolled up sock or a doughnut made of foam.
Haven't you seen the pics in the first post of this thread?!?!

RadiantNeedle
May 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM
A bun made with a rolled up sock or a doughnut made of foam.
Haven't you seen the pics in the first post of this thread?!?!

Whup! My bad. I assumed the OP posted images from their LHC gallery. Regardless! The OP provided pictures but not a real explanation of what a sock bun is.

Eden75
May 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
I had no idea what a sock bun was either when I saw this yesterday. Found a great tutorial on YouTube and viola! Sock bun! Love it, got all the hair in on the first try. I love that they don't pull on my head and require no pins! The hubby laughed when he caught me cutting the toe end off of one of his socks.......

Works great with the curls and the straight! I am thrilled with this! (How did I manage all these years without it???)

SurprisingWoman
May 1st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Very nice job. You really did great and the kids took nice pictures. :)

I have never seen the one where your roll your hair up in the sock, I have always done the one where you place a hairband over your hair after distributing over the sock. I always braid then wrap the rest.

I am going to youtube this now, although I have a feeling my hair my overwhelm a sock...

Sunny_side_up
May 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Your children are sweet to have helped take pics! I think your sock bun looks fab, looks like a lot of hair there! You have beautiful shiny hair:)

Lianna
May 1st, 2011, 04:20 PM
Congratz!!:wethree:I love sock buns, still wear them even though my cinnabun looks the same now.

nory87
May 1st, 2011, 07:53 PM
Yes I did see the pictures on the first post, I just did not know where the name sock bun derive from. I could not tell there was a sock on her bun. Pretty cool!!

jesis
May 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
I've tried and failed many times with the sock bun, I might have to find this donut thing you speak of.

CurlyZ
May 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Yes I did see the pictures on the first post, I just did not know where the name sock bun derive from. I could not tell there was a sock on her bun. Pretty cool!!

I tried to imagine a bun with a visible sock right now... :D
Yeah, the hairstyle is pretty nice. The best thing: it works on shorter hair!

CurlyZ
May 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
I've tried and failed many times with the sock bun, I might have to find this donut thing you speak of.

Walgreens. From Conair. They call it a Bun Maker. 3$. Works great!

CastaDiva
May 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Very nice bun indeed:) I have made several attempts to make a sock bun, but for some reason the bun tilts over to either the left or the right side. I don`t know what I do wrong:(

CurlyZ
May 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Very nice bun indeed:) I have made several attempts to make a sock bun, but for some reason the bun tilts over to either the left or the right side. I don`t know what I do wrong:(

Do you make a ponytail with a hair tie or scrunchie first, before you put the sock or doughnut on it?