PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with aloe vera.

alxardnax
April 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hi,
I am debating purchasing aloe vera gel but I didn't know if it is worth it. I am more interested in long term hair benefits than reducing frizz or using products that give my hair hold. Has aloe vera made your hair shinier, smoother, healthier... Is it a worthy investment??
Thanks!

Panth
April 26th, 2011, 01:38 PM
If you have moisture-devouring hair, then I'd say yes. Lots of people swear by it in a SMT.

Jeni
April 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
It depends on your hair really. It might love it, it might hate it...

FWIW my hair HATES aloe, absolutely goes ape sh*t if I put it on my hair or use it in a SMT. Other people's hair loves the stuff.

Mamakash
April 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Aloe vera was recommended as a light hold styling cream to me, and when I finally used it for that purpose, I found my hair was softer and shinier when I took it down at night. I don't use it for anything other than light hold, so I guess the softness is just a side benefit.

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I don't use the gel kind, therefore I don't use it as a styling gel .. I have a few plants in my garden and use that fresh, my hair shines like a beacon after that :-)

alxardnax
April 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the help!

SearMeCarefully
May 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM
Mine went all crunchy when I tried it? Crunchy like putting gobs of hair gel in your hair. Is that normal or I wonder if I got a poor aloe gel if other people are saying it makes it soft and shiny o_0

HintOfMint
May 1st, 2011, 01:06 AM
All aloe gel did for me is make my hair feel residue-y and it did nothing for frizz. It's worth an experiment though, just in case your hair likes it, and it's pretty cheap at any drugstore

shikara
May 1st, 2011, 01:44 AM
Uggghhh!! This is something I will never put in my hair again. Like another poster here, my hair felt like there was ucky residue in it, and was harder to detangle. However, it is quite inexpensive and apparently has many other uses, so it might be worth getting and trying. It might work for you, as it does for many LHCers.

Captain Nikki
May 1st, 2011, 02:37 AM
I don't know what i'd do without AVG! I use it everyday to smooth down my baby hairs (halo) & stop frizz. I don't use it on my length though, except in an SMT, which does wonders for my hair.

|Xei
May 1st, 2011, 02:53 AM
After using it regularly in weekly treatments for the past half a year or more, I believe my hair has become smoother. Aloe vera gel is fairly inexpensive, and I know Fruit of the Earth has a travel size version of their gel, so perhaps you could give that a try? It's not a big loss if it ends up not working out.

pepperminttea
May 1st, 2011, 03:25 AM
I use it lightly for my frizz halo sometimes, but most often I use it in SMTs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128); that's where it does its best work for my hair. :D

Theobroma
May 1st, 2011, 06:05 AM
I've been getting good results using AVG to reduce frizz and help set my curls while airdrying, though I've noticed that while it makes my canopy hair feel nice and soft, the very ends feel grabby after I scrunch it out.

Muse
May 1st, 2011, 06:47 AM
I think it is a good moisturizer. It makes my hair soft and a little bit less frizzy. My hair responds better to it then oil. I apply it on my hair when I have washed my hair.

aurorabridge
May 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Yesterday in a pinch, I used aloe instead of conditioner and my hair is super soft today. I just put it on like normal conditioner and then washed it out 5-10 minutes later.

Sanyia
May 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM
It works well for me, but I have to make sure not to use it when the weather is dry, or it will dry my hair instead of moisturizing it.

jujube
May 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I swear by it. I use it as a facial moisturizer, on wounds, and on my hair. I sometimes mix it with a drop of oil for my leave-in, and use it straight to smooth down my canopy flyaways/frizz, or a a light hold gel. Also works wonders in an SMT.

krissykins
May 12th, 2011, 11:22 PM
AVG made me greasy and crunchy. But it did calm the scalp itchies :)

Lianna
May 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM
It softens my hair quite a lot, but too much makes it crunchy.

Sophie.Bold
May 13th, 2011, 01:10 AM
SOME mades leave residue, but others(jason organics) are just out of this world and its so verstile!

You can use it in you Snowymoom Moisture Treatment, works wonders! :)

Scarlet_Heart
May 13th, 2011, 04:12 AM
After my shower, before my braid, I have been putting this on my ends just to see how it goes. Well... I find that I wake up with more defined waves, but it makes my hair a little crunchy so I don't think I"ll be putting it in my hair except as a smoother of fly-aways and such.

However, my dermatologist put me on topicals that dry out my skin and told me I need to use a lotion on my face, but every lotion I have ever put on my face makes me brake out. The aloe vera gel, on the other hand is perfect for this! I can put it on my dry skin and not break out! So I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.

torrilin
May 13th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Aloe gel is something we keep around all the time period. It's a good lotion for my partner's psoriasis, it's good for after shaving irritation on my skin and it's good if I manage to get sunburned.

Aloe gel is something of a humectant, which means it works as a moisturizer by absorbing moisture from the air and then making it available to your hair and/or skin. Glycerin and a lot of other ingredients work the same way. This means it isn't a great choice in a dry climate, or if you use it in a dry climate you may need to engage in trickery to make sure the air around you is moist enough that the product is beneficial.

WI is not usually the world's most humid place, so I tend to use aloe gel right before or after a hot bath. Our bathroom is pretty small, so it's easy to get it nice and humid. I also tend to apply it to hair or skin that is dripping wet. That way, it works fairly well.

Sweet_Decadence
May 13th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I'm very allegic ot Aloe Vera, it absolutely can not contact my skin or I;ll break out a painful rash. I wonder if there are any alternatives too it.

julliams
May 13th, 2011, 06:57 AM
For me - great in SMT, horrible as a gel.

CoilyCurlyME
May 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM
My hair type is thick and curly, 4a. I like mixing it with leave in conditioner, for shiny hair, styling and frizz reducing. :)

alxardnax
May 13th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I decided to purchase Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera and used it for the first time last night. I was VERY surprised at how soft ans shiny it made my hair! I was not expecting that at all. I can't wait to try it with oil and in a SMT.

The AO one I purchased is labeled as gel but it doesn't have any one those icky thickeners, so it is really just a liquid but I love how it works and I am assuming the thickeners in other aloe vera brands give some people problems with crunchiness but I could be wrong...

vanillabones
May 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
After my shower, before my braid, I have been putting this on my ends just to see how it goes. Well... I find that I wake up with more defined waves, but it makes my hair a little crunchy so I don't think I"ll be putting it in my hair except as a smoother of fly-aways and such.

However, my dermatologist put me on topicals that dry out my skin and told me I need to use a lotion on my face, but every lotion I have ever put on my face makes me brake out. The aloe vera gel, on the other hand is perfect for this! I can put it on my dry skin and not break out! So I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.

Very good to know especially concerning the breaking out. I'll try this for the summer then, but it is a little intimidating and I'm afraid I'll break out. I'm not afraid of putting monistat on my head but I'm afraid of this? Ha. :o

marimara
May 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I love Aloe Gel. I use it all. the. time. for EVERYTHING. It's great for my sensitive skin, calming ezcema, after shaving. I put it on my hair before braids to make more braid waves, I put it over top of head to calm flyaways and growing hairs that stick out. It always makes my hair soft. I even make my own spray toner for my face with aloeveragel and witch hazel. You can eat aloe gel (food grade), it calms and soothes irritated stomach linings. I'm planning on growing my aloe patch to supply myself for cheaper. I buy this kind (http://www.vitacost.com/Aloe-Life-Whole-Leaf-Aloe-Vera-Skin-Gel-Unscented) it's the most natural and organic I've found. I LOVE this stuff. If I could only take one item with me to a deserted island (for hair and body :D ) it would be this stuff. Oh and I always say that aloe gel is my secret for aging. I put it on my face every single day and it keeps me moisturized and keeps the wrinkles away. Between Aloe and coconut oil, I'm covered!

WittyWordsmith
May 17th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I'm really learning to love my AVG. It's humid around Dallas, so I'm covered as far as air-moisture is concerned. It helps develop my curls and keep them. :) I never knew it could be so effective in hair styling on its own!

SwordWomanRiona
February 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM
My hair likes it, it remains soft and shiny, no residue, no crunchiness, no stickiness. I use it after every wash, as a leave-in.

rchorr
February 11th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I use aloe gel on my whole body ... and that includes scalp and hair. If you have dry skin (I'm surprised mine hasn't all flaked off!), aloe gel is a God send!

RCHORR'

Browniegirl
February 11th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I dont use it..but that is just because I am allergic. I hear it is very good for dry hair.

Helenae
February 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM
It makes my hair sooooo soft.. I put it on my baby hairs to smooth them out, and they don't turn crunchy, they become conditioner-soft

HintOfMint
February 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Aloe has only made my hair feel waxy and residue-y, so I can't really recommend it based on my experience. Many others seem to have great experiences with it. In any case, it's not expensive at all, so it's not a high-stakes investment.

MissHair
February 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
If you don't feel like buying a bottle of gel, invest in a plant. I got a plant at home and I can use it whenever I need to. It's cheap and beautiful too.