PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with aloe vera.

alxardnax
April 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hi,
I am debating purchasing aloe vera gel but I didn't know if it is worth it. I am more interested in long term hair benefits than reducing frizz or using products that give my hair hold. Has aloe vera made your hair shinier, smoother, healthier... Is it a worthy investment??
Thanks!

Panth
April 26th, 2011, 01:38 PM
If you have moisture-devouring hair, then I'd say yes. Lots of people swear by it in a SMT.

Jeni
April 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
It depends on your hair really. It might love it, it might hate it...

FWIW my hair HATES aloe, absolutely goes ape sh*t if I put it on my hair or use it in a SMT. Other people's hair loves the stuff.

Mamakash
April 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Aloe vera was recommended as a light hold styling cream to me, and when I finally used it for that purpose, I found my hair was softer and shinier when I took it down at night. I don't use it for anything other than light hold, so I guess the softness is just a side benefit.

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I don't use the gel kind, therefore I don't use it as a styling gel .. I have a few plants in my garden and use that fresh, my hair shines like a beacon after that :-)

alxardnax
April 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the help!

SearMeCarefully
May 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM
Mine went all crunchy when I tried it? Crunchy like putting gobs of hair gel in your hair. Is that normal or I wonder if I got a poor aloe gel if other people are saying it makes it soft and shiny o_0

HintOfMint
May 1st, 2011, 01:06 AM
All aloe gel did for me is make my hair feel residue-y and it did nothing for frizz. It's worth an experiment though, just in case your hair likes it, and it's pretty cheap at any drugstore

shikara
May 1st, 2011, 01:44 AM
Uggghhh!! This is something I will never put in my hair again. Like another poster here, my hair felt like there was ucky residue in it, and was harder to detangle. However, it is quite inexpensive and apparently has many other uses, so it might be worth getting and trying. It might work for you, as it does for many LHCers.

Captain Nikki
May 1st, 2011, 02:37 AM
I don't know what i'd do without AVG! I use it everyday to smooth down my baby hairs (halo) & stop frizz. I don't use it on my length though, except in an SMT, which does wonders for my hair.

|Xei
May 1st, 2011, 02:53 AM
After using it regularly in weekly treatments for the past half a year or more, I believe my hair has become smoother. Aloe vera gel is fairly inexpensive, and I know Fruit of the Earth has a travel size version of their gel, so perhaps you could give that a try? It's not a big loss if it ends up not working out.

pepperminttea
May 1st, 2011, 03:25 AM
I use it lightly for my frizz halo sometimes, but most often I use it in SMTs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128); that's where it does its best work for my hair. :D

Theobroma
May 1st, 2011, 06:05 AM
I've been getting good results using AVG to reduce frizz and help set my curls while airdrying, though I've noticed that while it makes my canopy hair feel nice and soft, the very ends feel grabby after I scrunch it out.

Muse
May 1st, 2011, 06:47 AM
I think it is a good moisturizer. It makes my hair soft and a little bit less frizzy. My hair responds better to it then oil. I apply it on my hair when I have washed my hair.

aurorabridge
May 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Yesterday in a pinch, I used aloe instead of conditioner and my hair is super soft today. I just put it on like normal conditioner and then washed it out 5-10 minutes later.

Sanyia
May 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM
It works well for me, but I have to make sure not to use it when the weather is dry, or it will dry my hair instead of moisturizing it.

jujube
May 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I swear by it. I use it as a facial moisturizer, on wounds, and on my hair. I sometimes mix it with a drop of oil for my leave-in, and use it straight to smooth down my canopy flyaways/frizz, or a a light hold gel. Also works wonders in an SMT.

krissykins
May 12th, 2011, 11:22 PM
AVG made me greasy and crunchy. But it did calm the scalp itchies :)

Lianna
May 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM
It softens my hair quite a lot, but too much makes it crunchy.

Sophie.Bold
May 13th, 2011, 01:10 AM
SOME mades leave residue, but others(jason organics) are just out of this world and its so verstile!

You can use it in you Snowymoom Moisture Treatment, works wonders! :)

Scarlet_Heart
May 13th, 2011, 04:12 AM
After my shower, before my braid, I have been putting this on my ends just to see how it goes. Well... I find that I wake up with more defined waves, but it makes my hair a little crunchy so I don't think I"ll be putting it in my hair except as a smoother of fly-aways and such.

However, my dermatologist put me on topicals that dry out my skin and told me I need to use a lotion on my face, but every lotion I have ever put on my face makes me brake out. The aloe vera gel, on the other hand is perfect for this! I can put it on my dry skin and not break out! So I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.

torrilin
May 13th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Aloe gel is something we keep around all the time period. It's a good lotion for my partner's psoriasis, it's good for after shaving irritation on my skin and it's good if I manage to get sunburned.

Aloe gel is something of a humectant, which means it works as a moisturizer by absorbing moisture from the air and then making it available to your hair and/or skin. Glycerin and a lot of other ingredients work the same way. This means it isn't a great choice in a dry climate, or if you use it in a dry climate you may need to engage in trickery to make sure the air around you is moist enough that the product is beneficial.

WI is not usually the world's most humid place, so I tend to use aloe gel right before or after a hot bath. Our bathroom is pretty small, so it's easy to get it nice and humid. I also tend to apply it to hair or skin that is dripping wet. That way, it works fairly well.

Sweet_Decadence
May 13th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I'm very allegic ot Aloe Vera, it absolutely can not contact my skin or I;ll break out a painful rash. I wonder if there are any alternatives too it.

julliams
May 13th, 2011, 06:57 AM
For me - great in SMT, horrible as a gel.

CoilyCurlyME
May 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM
My hair type is thick and curly, 4a. I like mixing it with leave in conditioner, for shiny hair, styling and frizz reducing. :)

alxardnax
May 13th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I decided to purchase Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera and used it for the first time last night. I was VERY surprised at how soft ans shiny it made my hair! I was not expecting that at all. I can't wait to try it with oil and in a SMT.

The AO one I purchased is labeled as gel but it doesn't have any one those icky thickeners, so it is really just a liquid but I love how it works and I am assuming the thickeners in other aloe vera brands give some people problems with crunchiness but I could be wrong...

vanillabones
May 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
After my shower, before my braid, I have been putting this on my ends just to see how it goes. Well... I find that I wake up with more defined waves, but it makes my hair a little crunchy so I don't think I"ll be putting it in my hair except as a smoother of fly-aways and such.

However, my dermatologist put me on topicals that dry out my skin and told me I need to use a lotion on my face, but every lotion I have ever put on my face makes me brake out. The aloe vera gel, on the other hand is perfect for this! I can put it on my dry skin and not break out! So I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.

Very good to know especially concerning the breaking out. I'll try this for the summer then, but it is a little intimidating and I'm afraid I'll break out. I'm not afraid of putting monistat on my head but I'm afraid of this? Ha. :o

marimara
May 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I love Aloe Gel. I use it all. the. time. for EVERYTHING. It's great for my sensitive skin, calming ezcema, after shaving. I put it on my hair before braids to make more braid waves, I put it over top of head to calm flyaways and growing hairs that stick out. It always makes my hair soft. I even make my own spray toner for my face with aloeveragel and witch hazel. You can eat aloe gel (food grade), it calms and soothes irritated stomach linings. I'm planning on growing my aloe patch to supply myself for cheaper. I buy this kind (http://www.vitacost.com/Aloe-Life-Whole-Leaf-Aloe-Vera-Skin-Gel-Unscented) it's the most natural and organic I've found. I LOVE this stuff. If I could only take one item with me to a deserted island (for hair and body :D ) it would be this stuff. Oh and I always say that aloe gel is my secret for aging. I put it on my face every single day and it keeps me moisturized and keeps the wrinkles away. Between Aloe and coconut oil, I'm covered!

WittyWordsmith
May 17th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I'm really learning to love my AVG. It's humid around Dallas, so I'm covered as far as air-moisture is concerned. It helps develop my curls and keep them. :) I never knew it could be so effective in hair styling on its own!

SwordWomanRiona
February 11th, 2012, 01:14 PM
My hair likes it, it remains soft and shiny, no residue, no crunchiness, no stickiness. I use it after every wash, as a leave-in.

rchorr
February 11th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I use aloe gel on my whole body ... and that includes scalp and hair. If you have dry skin (I'm surprised mine hasn't all flaked off!), aloe gel is a God send!

RCHORR'

Browniegirl
February 11th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I dont use it..but that is just because I am allergic. I hear it is very good for dry hair.

Helenae
February 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM
It makes my hair sooooo soft.. I put it on my baby hairs to smooth them out, and they don't turn crunchy, they become conditioner-soft

HintOfMint
February 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Aloe has only made my hair feel waxy and residue-y, so I can't really recommend it based on my experience. Many others seem to have great experiences with it. In any case, it's not expensive at all, so it's not a high-stakes investment.

MissHair
February 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
If you don't feel like buying a bottle of gel, invest in a plant. I got a plant at home and I can use it whenever I need to. It's cheap and beautiful too.

0xalis
December 6th, 2020, 12:51 AM
Anyone mind if I revive this thread? I've seen aloe leaves being sold at grocery stores and it's made me curious.

Can I just take the goop right out of the plant and put it directly on my hair/scalp? Or do I need to combine it with water etc.

My hair is really picky. It's protein sensitive so there's only one conditioner I know it likes, and the only oil I've tried that my hair likes is olive.
Just like with coconut oil (which my hair hates) I've heard really mixed reviews about aloe, but most of the reviews are for gels they've bought at drugstores and not just the plant goop itself.
I'd like to try aloe once and see how my hair reacts, I don't think a single leaf is going to be super expensive, but I want an idea of what I'm getting into before I try it!

C_Bookworm
December 6th, 2020, 01:26 AM
I’m curious, too! I’ve used Fruit of the Earth (and liked it), but my experience with the plant has been limited to remedies my mom randomly remembers from her relatives. None of them have involved hair so far.

Feral_
December 6th, 2020, 04:24 AM
Anyone mind if I revive this thread? I've seen aloe leaves being sold at grocery stores and it's made me curious.

Can I just take the goop right out of the plant and put it directly on my hair/scalp? Or do I need to combine it with water etc.

My hair is really picky. It's protein sensitive so there's only one conditioner I know it likes, and the only oil I've tried that my hair likes is olive.
Just like with coconut oil (which my hair hates) I've heard really mixed reviews about aloe, but most of the reviews are for gels they've bought at drugstores and not just the plant goop itself.
I'd like to try aloe once and see how my hair reacts, I don't think a single leaf is going to be super expensive, but I want an idea of what I'm getting into before I try it!

I have an aloe vera plant and have used the gel directly from that. I usually mix it with a little distilled water to thin it down and I add a few drops of argan oil and vitamin E oil, mix well and keep in the fridge. I use it as a conditioning gel before I plait my hair - keeps shred at bay and the waves stay for longer. Adding the oil stops it from feeling too product-y.

lapushka
December 6th, 2020, 05:18 AM
I always thought AV from the plant was the best, until I saw a YT video by Dr Dray. She is a board certified dermatologist. She said the plant has some "contaminants" (well not in those terms maybe), that get filtered out with the purifying process it goes through. So you can react allergically for instance to AV from the plant, when you will not when it's from a bottle. Just FYI for people who might get issues. :flower:

curly girl fla
December 6th, 2020, 08:07 AM
I have many aloe plants outside, some with those huge leaves. When I use it, I pretty much just slice the leaf open and use the more liquidy gel directly, but I've read that many scoop all the solid gel from the leaf with a spoon and use a blender to emulsify. Then use straight or add you favorite oils, etc.
Honestly, most of the time aloe seems to be drying for my hair-why does everything work the opposite way for me than it does for everyone else? But it's great for scalp and skin.

meepster
December 6th, 2020, 09:31 PM

I love aloe gel for my hair for when I need to get the curls to look defined and presentable. I just used it straight on my hair. It made it look great.

Ada-banana
December 7th, 2020, 10:28 AM
Just ordered aloe vera gel (almost pure) because it was on my wish list for a while and this topic reminded me of it. I want to use it for skin and hair. I'm curious what the effect will be for my hair!

ChloeDharma
December 9th, 2020, 08:36 AM
I've had good experiences with aloe products. I prefer to use it straight from a leaf or to use aloe juice sold for drinking. I have also used the powder and liked that. The gel you can buy has thickeners and things added to make the consistency more gel like and I feel that can build up on my hair.

One thing I have noticed with gel from the plant is at first while putting it on it makes my hair feel tacky, no slip and uncomfortable to handle. If I then put my hair up and let it dry like that, particularly if I leave it on overnight then the next day my hair is extremely silky and smooth feeling.

If using the fresh leaf then I'd advise caution. Just inside the skin is a yellow substance that can cause irritation. I think this is what Lapushka was referring to. I've personally not had an issue with it and I am careful not to use the gel too near the skin but it is something to be aware of.

cat11
December 9th, 2020, 08:43 AM
I like to use aloe in SMT's. By itself it is useful for taming fly aways/baby hairs if I want a really sleek ponytail or something.

lakhesis
December 9th, 2020, 09:33 AM
Any chance someone has experience with aloe vera powder? :)

My hair loves aloe vera gel, probably why I always get better results with SMT than any other store bought mask. I also added aloe vera juice to some of my other DIYs but it has a short shelf life.

ChloeDharma
December 9th, 2020, 10:12 AM
Any chance someone has experience with aloe vera powder? :)

My hair loves aloe vera gel, probably why I always get better results with SMT than any other store bought mask. I also added aloe vera juice to some of my other DIYs but it has a short shelf life.

Yes, I've used the powder. Is there anything in particular you would like to know? I usually add it to home made DIY's and would imagine that kind of hair pack use would be the best way to use it. You could infuse it and then strain through a muslin cloth if you want to make a liquid out of it.
I do generally prefer the aloe gel or liquid but as you mention the shelf life is an issue so having some powder in reserve is useful.

Oh also I'm thinking maybe soaking the powder in oil might be nice but I've not done this myself yet.

*edited for typos

purple_omelette
May 21st, 2023, 10:32 PM
Resurrecting an old thread because I couldn't find anything else aloe-related on a quick search :)

My hair tangles less and is much more soft and manageable when I apply aloe vera after washing - does anyone else experience this?

For context, my hair is 2b (although this varies from 2a-2c depending on length) my routine is cowash every 3 days, shampoo once or twice a month, use leave-in conditioner when I feel like it, dry with a T shirt. I stopped using gel/aloe vera for a while because I was told it would increase tangles/breakage, but I consistently find that the opposite is true, and it seems other people on this thread feel the same.

giraff
May 24th, 2023, 05:24 AM
Resurrecting an old thread because I couldn't find anything else aloe-related on a quick search :)

My hair tangles less and is much more soft and manageable when I apply aloe vera after washing - does anyone else experience this?

My hair is 2a, so not entirely same as yours. I've just used it as a treatment mixed with honey and conditioner (SMT (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)), and my hair feels a lot softer and more manageable afterwards. It still tangles about the same, I think.

So you use it as a leave-in? I'm intrigued. Maybe I should try that!

purple_omelette
May 24th, 2023, 10:43 PM
My hair is 2a, so not entirely same as yours. I've just used it as a treatment mixed with honey and conditioner (SMT (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)), and my hair feels a lot softer and more manageable afterwards. It still tangles about the same, I think.

So you use it as a leave-in? I'm intrigued. Maybe I should try that!

Yep, I use it as a gel! Scrunch through my hair after plopping in a t shirt and I don't touch it until it's dry.

cookies
May 25th, 2023, 02:02 AM
I’ve been using it as a gel too, I scrunch leave in conditioner, then hair oil, then aloe gel before I let my hair dry.
My hair only tangles in the front top layer sections which is where the bleach damage is the worst. To be honest I haven’t paid enough attention to how the aloe affects things, but I do like it :D

giraff
May 25th, 2023, 03:36 AM
Ooh! Nice. Just washed my hair and scrunched some aloe gel in it! As well as a leave-in and oil. Excited to see how it turns out, in four hours haha. I never managed to plop.. Maybe I should practice more. It just falls apart and leaves me soaked lol :spitting:

cookies
May 25th, 2023, 03:47 AM
I haven’t mastered the plopping either, my hair often comes out looking weird :lol: I think for my texture (I’d call it 2a/2c and it’s right on the border of m/c) twisting would yield better results, but I don’t know how to do that well either, so I just scrunch for now.
Btw one thing I have noticed with aloe gel as leave in, is that my hair takes a bit longer to dry.

giraff
May 25th, 2023, 03:54 AM
That's good to know. Thank you! Yes, I've noticed the same the two times I've done SMT with Aloe gel. It's interesting, why does it happen? Simply because the hair isn't as dry?

cookies
May 25th, 2023, 04:16 AM
Yes, that’s what I’m guessing, just not sure how exactly. Aloe provides moisture, so either the hair is then moisturized enough to not be absorbing as much water, or the aloe “locks” the water in making it evaporate slower. The first guess makes more sense for SMT, the second for leaving it in.

GordonMurphella
May 25th, 2023, 04:49 AM
Tried it once years ago when it was a thing and it turned to glue in my hair. Never again.

giraff
May 25th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Yup! 7.5 hours later, it's barely dry. But looks good, little messy, but soft!

https://i.postimg.cc/cHpzMWRD/20230525-182742.jpg

Oh, no GordonMurphella! Did you apply it to wet hair? How much did you use?

purple_omelette
May 25th, 2023, 08:34 PM

Yayy! I have a similar effect when I use it, my hair 'clumps' better and I get this beachy sort of look. Not quite crisp curls, but very soft and easy to manage.

GordonMurphella
May 26th, 2023, 04:14 AM

Tried it wet, tried it damp. Glob about the size of a lima bean. Yours, however, looks absolutely gorgeous, lucky thing!

Ylva
May 26th, 2023, 05:13 AM

Not related to the topic - I just have to say that I'm shocked by how similar our textures are! If it came to texture alone (although colours look similar, too, looking at this photo of your hair), I could've mistaken that for my own hair, how it looks these days when nearly dry: the wurlies up top that then relax towards the ends are identical!

giraff
May 26th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Yayy! I have a similar effect when I use it, my hair 'clumps' better and I get this beachy sort of look. Not quite crisp curls, but very soft and easy to manage.

Nice! Yes, I finger combed through a bit before braiding, and it was stick straight afterwards.. So not a lot of hold :rolleyes: But I guess I could coat with a gel or something?

Tried it wet, tried it damp. Glob about the size of a lima bean. Yours, however, looks absolutely gorgeous, lucky thing!

Thank you, darling :blossom: Gah, that's annoying.. Well, you never know if you don't try! The formulation of the gel might also be a factor? I only bought a sample, so had to repurchase today and went for a different brand. Taking chances.. This new one was called an "after sun", but it had very few ingredients. It looks and smells like aloe gel, but what will my hair think.

Not related to the topic - I just have to say that I'm shocked by how similar our textures are! If it came to texture alone (although colours look similar, too, looking at this photo of your hair), I could've mistaken that for my own hair, how it looks these days when nearly dry: the wurlies up top that then relax towards the ends are identical!

Oooo, I hadn't thought about that before, but you're right! Have I finally found my long lost LHC twin? :eyebrows: The color is hard to decipher here, I feel like it changes every photo.. Maybe it's a scandi-thing? Fine, thick hair with some movement in it? My hair will not hold a curl, at all. It just tempts me with these wurlies post wash.. So unfair!

cookies
June 3rd, 2023, 02:31 AM
Your hair is so beautiful giraff, you’re definitely one of my LHC hair idols :crush:
My hair sounds similar to yours - mine also straightens out real quick when I touch it (and I can’t help touching it because it feels so good :lol:), or bun it or sleep on it… it can only hold braid waves, but they make my ends puff up quite a bit and then tangles ensue…
Also your color is lovely, I imagine mine will be a tad darker and a tad ashier when it grows out and gets some sunshine in. Can’t wait!

giraff
June 3rd, 2023, 02:52 AM
Thank you cookie, that's so sweet :love: I'm flattered!

I agree, it's hard to keep my hands off my hair sometimes.. It holds braid waves okay too! Even though they fluff up my hair quite a bit. Volume has never been my issue! But I remember a friend from school who did heatless curls that would hold for days. I did heatless curls overnight today, and by the end of the day, they'll probably be gone :lol: I think I'll go look for a texturizing spray or something today. Could be fun to see if I could get them to stay, because I love my waves..

My color is strange, because I feel it varies a lot! Probably has something to do with light, and seasons. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

Natalia_A00
June 5th, 2023, 01:51 PM
I used aloe vera gel with the SMT (there's a thread about it on this forum, I remember it from a long time ago). Basically using silicone free conditioner + aloe vera gel + some people use a spoonful of honey. I don't know if the aloe vera gel did the trick but everytime I used it I had good results, less frizz and more shine

floridaorchid
June 5th, 2023, 05:45 PM
Thank you cookie, that's so sweet :love: I'm flattered!

I agree, it's hard to keep my hands off my hair sometimes.. It holds braid waves okay too! Even though they fluff up my hair quite a bit. Volume has never been my issue! But I remember a friend from school who did heatless curls that would hold for days. I did heatless curls overnight today, and by the end of the day, they'll probably be gone :lol: I think I'll go look for a texturizing spray or something today. Could be fun to see if I could get them to stay, because I love my waves..

My color is strange, because I feel it varies a lot! Probably has something to do with light, and seasons. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

I have got to agree with cookies! I took a peak and your color is so pretty and your hair looks so shiny and thick. The envy is real!

floridaorchid
June 5th, 2023, 05:47 PM
Has anyone tried spray aloe vera? I saw Holly Auna use it, and I'm curious what the difference is.
I don't currently have aloe in my hair, but the spray seems like it would be lower commitment?

giraff
June 6th, 2023, 01:04 AM
Thank you, floridaorchid :heartbeat It's nice to receive compliments once in a while. To me, it often feels just tangly and frizzy.. But leave-ins help a lot! Especially when it comes to shine.

Ooo, spray sounds convenient! Haven't seen or tried it, but I'm curious about the ingredients.

rosmarinus
June 6th, 2023, 03:54 AM
Inspired by this thread I tried AVG on dry hair and my hair really seems to like it! I have tried it as conditioner at some point when I used natural ingredients only but it actually works way better on dry hair in my case. In my country AVG is not cheap but I happened to find a wholesale type of online market for natural ingredients on hair and skin care which operates in my country, AVG is a lot cheaper there and it seems to be better in quality also. I buy my oils and shea butter from there also since they are also expensive in regular stores. Anyhow, next wash I'm going to try mixing AVG with conditioner and honey(SMT?)

floridaorchid
June 6th, 2023, 07:24 PM
Thank you, floridaorchid :heartbeat It's nice to receive compliments once in a while. To me, it often feels just tangly and frizzy.. But leave-ins help a lot! Especially when it comes to shine.

Ooo, spray sounds convenient! Haven't seen or tried it, but I'm curious about the ingredients.

The one I saw her use just has aloe vera and a preservative. I'll link it here. https://www.amazon.com/Green-Leaf-Naturals-Organic-Sunburn/dp/B01C5LD1SE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=aloe+vera+spray&qid=1686101074&sprefix=%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE5WTVBTkY4Qk80JmVuY 3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzc3MjQyMUo1T1dBQ1c3QjJKTSZlbmNyeXB 0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTkzNzAwMlI1MlVKN0JYSVE3RyZ3aWRnZXROY W1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdEx vZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

fairy_hair
January 7th, 2024, 01:55 AM
I have just ordered an aloe vera gel to use on my skin, as a cleanser morning and night, and may also use it on my hair. The product I bought contains a few extra ingredients than pure aloe vera:

Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Acrylates/c10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Panthenol, Sodium Phytate, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Benzoic Acid.

It seems to me to be better than using soap or sulphates to wash my sensitive, acne prone facial skin, I plan to rinse it off after application though so not sure if i should also leave this product in my hair (or skin for that matter). Anyone see red flags in the ingredients for leaving on hair/skin? *it is sold as a leave-on skin, I'm just not sure if that's a good idea without it being 100% pure aloe vera.

Ylva
January 7th, 2024, 07:55 AM
I have just ordered an aloe vera gel to use on my skin, as a cleanser morning and night, and may also use it on my hair. The product I bought contains a few extra ingredients than pure aloe vera:

Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Acrylates/c10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Panthenol, Sodium Phytate, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Benzoic Acid.

It seems to me to be better than using soap or sulphates to wash my sensitive, acne prone facial skin, I plan to rinse it off after application though so not sure if i should also leave this product in my hair (or skin for that matter). Anyone see red flags in the ingredients for leaving on hair/skin? *it is sold as a leave-on skin, I'm just not sure if that's a good idea without it being 100% pure aloe vera.

I suppose the main concern is the preservative, phenoxyethanol, which might cause a reaction if you are sensitive or for you to develop a sensitivity to it over time.

fairy_hair
January 7th, 2024, 08:01 AM
I suppose the main concern is the preservative, phenoxyethanol, which might cause a reaction if you are sensitive or for you to develop a sensitivity to it over time.

Oh cool, and I'm washing it off after not long at all and occasionally will leave it on a bit longer as a mask on my skin, thanks for your feedback! I think it will be fine to wash with. Decided I won't leave it on my skin or hair for more than some minutes unless I get pure aloe! So far this gel reduces acne redness in seconds to minutes, which is a new record! Feels great :)

fairy_hair
January 7th, 2024, 10:21 AM
I love Aloe Gel. I use it all. the. time. for EVERYTHING. It's great for my sensitive skin, calming ezcema, after shaving. I put it on my hair before braids to make more braid waves, I put it over top of head to calm flyaways and growing hairs that stick out. It always makes my hair soft. I even make my own spray toner for my face with aloeveragel and witch hazel. You can eat aloe gel (food grade), it calms and soothes irritated stomach linings. I'm planning on growing my aloe patch to supply myself for cheaper. I buy this kind (http://www.vitacost.com/Aloe-Life-Whole-Leaf-Aloe-Vera-Skin-Gel-Unscented) it's the most natural and organic I've found. I LOVE this stuff. If I could only take one item with me to a deserted island (for hair and body :D ) it would be this stuff. Oh and I always say that aloe gel is my secret for aging. I put it on my face every single day and it keeps me moisturized and keeps the wrinkles away. Between Aloe and coconut oil, I'm covered!

Ohhh aloe gel for flyaways!? This might be good for me - I have to use hair grips for my front hairs to stay back when my put my hair up, it's jist very fine and lightweight and the hairs do not stick to each other at all, so any shorter front hairs just fall down. I'm scared to commit to a full day of work without hair grips and only with aloe gel in case it doesn't work and I just look greasy, maybe I will just bring hair grips in case.... I must try haha, I'm so sick of using hair grips, if I can use sloe gel instead and it works I will!

fairy_hair
January 18th, 2024, 07:23 AM
Update: I've been washing my face with the aloe vera gel and also leaving a thin coat of it on my face, morning and night, for nearly 2 weeks now, and I have to say, I am AMAZED because it really has reduced the severity of any acne I get, destroying new little ones in a day, and any bigger ones heal much faster, and I've not been having many more big ones since using it.... I don't think I will use it on my hair at least for now, since I think my hair is doing okay with olive oil and weekly washing, protective styles... but woah, my skin is flourishing. It's not stripped by harsh cleansers, it's not oily or dry, it feels stronger and my acne blemishes are fading a little already... can't wait to see how it goes in a few months. Anyone else tried this?