PDA

View Full Version : to fringe or not to fringe??? *pics*

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I am having urges to cut a fringe in my hair. I recently saw a photo with my hair up and I thought I looked too severe. My area round my fringe doesn't seem to grow and is wispy, so although I would lose overall thickness it would give the illusion of thicker hair from the front, plus it would soften the look of updos.

I have been thinking of this for about a month now and the urge is getting stronger.
Id like your opinions on which look you all prefer, I know the decision is mine but please be honest.

photo 1, taken in 2007
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/me%20and%20my%20family/sleeping019.jpg

and taken a month a go
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/chester12.jpg

For me the positives are; cover my big forehead and lines, softer look and I can go longer between washes as I can do just fringe washes.

cons- I have more curl than wave in my fringe, but BBB are straightening that up, fringes get greasy quicker=spotty forehead, are a pain to grow out.

Ok my heart is saying go for it but even cutting my fringe length scares me in case I regret it. TIA

skyblue
April 26th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I think you look great either way
if you really want bangs then go for it
you could always start longer and pin them back
if your undecided but I think your gorgeous in both pics

KatiSasha
April 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I like the fringe on you, but the cons are there as well, I'd try to cut something a bit longer first (side swept bangs/fringe) so that it'd be easier to pin and/or grow out if you are not thrilled.

Now the devil's advocate - the summer is around the corner, are you sure you wanna deal with cons while it's hot out? I don't know where you live, but here in TX I'd def think twice or more about it.

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 11:02 AM
We only get a week of sunshine in the UK! but I suppose longer ones can be pinned back and poufed with my fringe doesnt do at the moment! thanks guys for your honest opinions xx

nazzooyzo
April 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM
i say fringe but like KatiSasha says don't cut it really short at first just in case you don't like it

Avital88
April 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM
i really like the fringe on you! and you have amazing blue eyes,very lovely!
I would say,just go for it,but dont cut them too short at first..good luck.

alwayssmiling
April 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I think a fringe looks nice too. I'm a fringe person so I'm biased.

The negatives for my fringe are that they need styling everyday as they curl up, they get greasy easily (fringe washes and dry shampoo sort that out), and it needs trimming every 2-3 weeks or it starts to drive me crazy.

The positives (for me) are that it covers my forehead which has scars, it softens my face and makes updos look less harsh. Someone once said it makes me look younger too - but I'm not sure about that.

Anje
April 26th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I vote no fringe.

However, I'm rather biased against fringes in general. I think I was traumatized growing mine out when I was 10. I do think people tend to look more intelligent with foreheads showing, if that makes any sense.

ancilla
April 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I love the fringe! It really frames your face and eyes :)

spidermom
April 26th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I think the fringe looks good on you and brings attention to your beautiful eyes.

On the other hand, there is nothing in the world that would convince me to cut fringe because I hate how it sticks to my face when it's hot or I'm exercising or working in the house or garden, so I'm inclined to say "no fringe".

RitaPG
April 26th, 2011, 11:23 AM
A month is more than enough time to think about it. It seems you already know what you want.
In my opinion, a fringe looks lovely on you :)

Pickelhaube
April 26th, 2011, 11:29 AM
If you like side-swept fringe, you could try making a deep side part and draping some of the hair across your forehead to see how it would look. Or maybe you could try clip-on fringe? I've seen tutorials for how to make one on Youtube. That might be helpful if you want to test how it looks without committing to it.

I think you look great in both the pictures you posted. You should go with whatever you like best.

Mina17
April 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I like the fringe, it brings out your eyes. I just got my bangs cut again after growing them out to nearly chin length. I have about the same hair type as you and pretty much weighed the same pros and cons. For myself, I like that they cover my forehead lines and a patch of hyperpigmentation. I also think IMO it's a softer look.

I have to straighten them in order to have them cover my forehead, but some days I comb them off to the side with the rest of my hair and let them curl. If my hair is cooperating they kind of blend with the rest of my hair and it hardly looks like I have bangs.

jel
April 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I vote no fringe.

However, I'm rather biased against fringes in general. I think I was traumatized growing mine out when I was 10. I do think people tend to look more intelligent with foreheads showing, if that makes any sense.

I agree with all of Anje's post, except I was 12 when I had the fringe of doom.

I also think showing off your high forehead and beautiful face makes you look younger... But the important thing here is what you'd prefer! :D

At the end of the day, if you cut a fringe and don't like it, the good thing about hair is that it grows! ;)

BrightEyes
April 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I think the fringe looks really good on you, and I agree with the others who have said it really compliments your pretty eyes. I say go for it!:)

BrightEyes7
April 26th, 2011, 12:30 PM
We only get a week of sunshine in the UK! but I suppose longer ones can be pinned back and poufed with my fringe doesnt do at the moment! thanks guys for your honest opinions xx

That is funny... it's the exact opposite for me! We have heat and sunshine most of the year and rain only about 1 week a year!

Back to the original topic, I like the fringe. Don't take this the wrong way, but it makes you look younger. I think they really suit you.

And yes bangs get greasy faster than the rest of your hair, but there is a quick trick I learned. I would tie all my hair back, except my fringe. Then I would wash just my fringe in the sink on days it looked greasy. Just get it wet in the sink, put a bit of shampoo (like a pea size drop) and lather up, and rinse in the sink again. If I got a little of the other hair wet, oh well. But my fringe would be freshly washed so my whole look always looked clean.

And you can always pin it back. And it's not too much of a hassle to grow it out... my fringe is almost APL now!

But think about it and be sure that's what YOU want before you do it!

dulce
April 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM
how about a very thin fringe not as thick as the one in pic-then you can just brush it in with the rest on hot days etc and it'll look as if you have no bangs when you want that look?1'm growing out my thick fringe but keeping a very thin one ..

xoerincolleen
April 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I say go for it, I think it looks really pretty!

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you everybody for your opinions, well I did it and I love it!:cheese:

Ive cut just under my eyebrows, it will need blow drying and maybe straightening when Ive washed but as it will be being trimmed so often no biggie. My hair looks so much better now and some how longer? optical illusion!

and now the photo evidence!
what do you think?
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/fringe.jpg

alwayssmiling
April 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
You did it! Very nice - looks good.

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM
thank you, im very pleased with how its turned out.

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM
That is funny... it's the exact opposite for me! We have heat and sunshine most of the year and rain only about 1 week a year!

Back to the original topic, I like the fringe. Don't take this the wrong way, but it makes you look younger. I think they really suit you.

And yes bangs get greasy faster than the rest of your hair, but there is a quick trick I learned. I would tie all my hair back, except my fringe. Then I would wash just my fringe in the sink on days it looked greasy. Just get it wet in the sink, put a bit of shampoo (like a pea size drop) and lather up, and rinse in the sink again. If I got a little of the other hair wet, oh well. But my fringe would be freshly washed so my whole look always looked clean.

And you can always pin it back. And it's not too much of a hassle to grow it out... my fringe is almost APL now!

But think about it and be sure that's what YOU want before you do it!
we have had quite a nice spring but its not the norm and I live in the North West of England, right in the middle of the pennines which is known for its rain! could do ya a swap!

vanity_acefake
April 26th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I'd say fringe. It totally draws attention to your stunning eyes.
You are very pretty.
:)

Oops missed your new fringe pics.
You look amazing with it.

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
^^ ha ha! thank you!

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I love bangs and will never give them up .. you look very pretty with bangs - I could be biased because I like them, but I think you look better with them :-) I also like to have a few hairs "whispies" framing the sides of the face as well ..

ETA: make it a very thin one ..

alyanna
April 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
You're really pretty either way, but the fringe is very flattering!

Although ... I'm anti-fringe in general, but I have a small forehead and curly hair, so bad candidate for a fringe.

If you're comfortable with the upkeep, get a thin wispy one so you're not losing too much thickness.

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM
^^ the deed is done ha! and thank you everybody for the compliments, your making me blush:o

jel
April 26th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Oh wow, it looks great! I must say, it really, really suits you - much more than the old fringe in the first post, IMO.

Do post some pics with your hair up as well :D

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you everybody for your opinions, well I did it and I love it!:cheese:

Ive cut just under my eyebrows, it will need blow drying and maybe straightening when Ive washed but as it will be being trimmed so often no biggie. My hair looks so much better now and some how longer? optical illusion!

and now the photo evidence!
what do you think?

you did it .. lol, I wrote before reading the rest of the thread ... you look lovely :-)

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Oh wow, it looks great! I must say, it really, really suits you - much more than the old fringe in the first post, IMO.

Do post some pics with your hair up as well :D thank you i really love it and will be doing some up photos, it looks so different. My friends little boy is here now and hes just said ooooohhh you look friendly now, instead of fierce (he then did a roaring noise) hes 4!

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
you did it .. lol, I wrote before reading the rest of the thread ... you look lovely :-)

ha ha im always doing that! and thanks x

Pickelhaube
April 26th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Your fringe looks great! It suits your face really well.

spidermom
April 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Well done, although now I feel totally sorry for you because I know how much it would bug me. (silly Spidey!)

NouvelleNymphe2
April 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM
They look great!! I go back and forth regarding fringe as well because I have a high forehead. They really do soften features. I like how yours are longer so they'll be versatile (can wear down and chunky or up in an updo). Very pretty.

Annalouise
April 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I think it looks great! They suit you and they give you more of a style then one length. I've been tempted to do the same for a long time but I don't have the courage.:D

lapushka
April 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
The bangs are cute (wouldn't make 'em thicker), but I don't think you look severe without bangs. I agree with KatiSasha. Bangs can get in your way so fast during summer; not a good time to get them. I also agree about side-swept bangs maybe being an option. You could make it regular bangs once the cooler temperatures set in.

CarpeDM
April 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'm not typically a fan of bangs, but they do draw attention and flatter your blue eyes!

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
here it is up sorry its a rubbish photo its a web cam one!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/fringeup.jpg and I lost 0.4" in thickness so now 4.3" which is fine and dandy!

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Well done, although now I feel totally sorry for you because I know how much it would bug me. (silly Spidey!)

ha ha! the quickest way i ever got rid of a million splits!! i just need your colour now but from what ive read it cant be used on henna BOO!

BrightEyes7
April 26th, 2011, 03:56 PM
we have had quite a nice spring but its not the norm and I live in the North West of England, right in the middle of the pennines which is known for its rain! could do ya a swap!

For sure! I can handle the no rain... I can handle rain... and I can handle bitter cold (you can always add layers)... but these brutal summers? Not so much! Most people who live here don't live here year round because it gets way too hot! I don't even take lunch breaks at work during the summer because it's too hot! I need to move! :laugh:

Back to the original topic... the fringe looks great! I love the thick-bluntness of them! Really flatter your eyes.

MeganAimee
April 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'm thinking no fringe. You look beautiful either way, and your eyes are gorgeous!! ( just had to add that in ) No fringe because I`ve had bangs so many times in the past couple years and they just get in the way, they`re always sweaty underneath! Whats about longer side bangs??

LisaButz2001
April 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM
LOL, your bottom picture is my everyday style. I break out a lot in this climate, so I'd never go for one, but the sideswept might be an option. Go for the option with least loss of thickness.

pepperminttea
April 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM
The fringe looks pretty on you. On me, I'd say no fringe because the maintenance of them drives me a bit batty, but if you're okay with that, well. :) It sounds like you've already made up your mind though. ;)

Monsterkitti
April 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Looks great on you! :)

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Thank you x

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 04:42 PM
For sure! I can handle the no rain... I can handle rain... and I can handle bitter cold (you can always add layers)... but these brutal summers? Not so much! Most people who live here don't live here year round because it gets way too hot! I don't even take lunch breaks at work during the summer because it's too hot! I need to move! :laugh:

Back to the original topic... the fringe looks great! I love the thick-bluntness of them! Really flatter your eyes.

its a deal you send the sun and I will send the rain! and thank you for the compliment!

GingerSnapO
April 26th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Looks fantastic! You do have beautiful eyes, and I really think it sets them off.

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 05:42 PM
aww thank you GingerSnapO and welcome to LHC!

scorpio_rising
April 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM
You look FANTASTIC. I'm sure you're thrilled with them - I know I would be! Good show!

braidedbeauty
April 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Personally I have never been fond of fringes but there is a huge fashion for side swept bangs maybe you could make them a bit longer to relate to your long hair and make it look less severe?

leslissocool
April 26th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Jojo it looks great :cheese:!

I was going to vote fringe, because your face is really well suited for it!

sugarpixie10988
April 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
It looks REALLY good on you! You did a great job cutting it. :)

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
thanks again to everybody. I must admit I got a sweaty upper lip doing them , but glad i did it!

ericthegreat
April 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I love fringes, in fact I have a longer side-swept fringe myself that I maintain by constant trimming. I love the 2007 pic of you with the fringe jojo, so if you are asking me from just a looks standpoint, you would look great. A fringe would frame your face very nicely and draw more attention to your eyes.

The only concerns that you have to keep aware of is of course the high maintanance of fringes. They obviously need frequent trimming, and a fringe only looks right when its straightened. I know you have natural waves and wurls jojo, so you would need to heat-style the fringe every time you want to wear then down, unless you decide to slick them back or pin them back when you don't want to heat style them. Which in my opinion defeats the whole purpose of a fringe, if you are just going to hide them much of the time anyway.

So, my advice will depend on what kind of maintenance you are willing to do. If you are willing to keep trimming them/straightening them/washing them to keep the greasies away, then go and cut that fringe. :cheese:
However, if you don't think you can keep up with all the maintenance, or you think you might want to grow them back sometime soon after, I wouldn't cut them if I were you.

ericthegreat
April 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Forget my last post................I didn't read the whole thread when I wrote that post.

Now that I see you have already cut in a fringe, I have to say............................................... .................................................. ................

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blossom: :blossom:

I have to say, altho I love your natural waves and wurls, you really do look more sophisticated with straight and sleek hair. The straight shiny fringe gives you a much more polished look!

tinywife
April 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I think the bangs bring out your gorgeous eyes.

Sundial
April 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Wow jojo I love how that fringe looks on you! :thud: it somehow looks different from the one in your first post. Did you cut it further up this time for more thickness? I prefer this one over the one in your first post. Stunning!

MrsGuther
April 26th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I vote go for the fringe! It looks very nice on you!

Lianna
April 27th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I really like your bangs! :) If they look wavy and you want them straight, try gelling them while damp, and put them back, after dry they'll fall straight (that's what I do with my 2c/3a hair).

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Forget my last post................I didn't read the whole thread when I wrote that post.

Now that I see you have already cut in a fringe, I have to say............................................... .................................................. ................

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blossom: :blossom:

I have to say, altho I love your natural waves and wurls, you really do look more sophisticated with straight and sleek hair. The straight shiny fringe gives you a much more polished look!

aww your a sweetie Eric:)

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I think the bangs bring out your gorgeous eyes.

thank you x

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Wow jojo I love how that fringe looks on you! :thud: it somehow looks different from the one in your first post. Did you cut it further up this time for more thickness? I prefer this one over the one in your first post. Stunning!

Thank you, I just parted down the middle and then across, yes did cut a little further up as I love thick fringes but didnt want them too thick or id look like a donkey! no offence to donkey's; I love donkeys!:cheese:

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I vote go for the fringe! It looks very nice on you!

I really like your bangs! :) If they look wavy and you want them straight, try gelling them while damp, and put them back, after dry they'll fall straight (that's what I do with my 2c/3a hair).

thank you both for your lovely comments and great tip Lianna (love your name very pretty) I will try that next time.

Dragon
April 27th, 2011, 05:55 AM
They look good. They really suit you. I also think your new fringe looks better then your old one even tho your old fringe did still look good.

daaisychains
April 27th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Jojo, you're one of my favourite members on this site.
I remember when i started months ago you really encouraged me.
: ) And i've never really saw what you look like from the front but you're so pretty!

Also.. back to the post i like the fringe!

jojo
April 27th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Jojo, you're one of my favourite members on this site.
I remember when i started months ago you really encouraged me.
: ) And i've never really saw what you look like from the front but you're so pretty!

Also.. back to the post i like the fringe! aww thats really sweet of you:) and thank you for your comments x:)

They look good. They really suit you. I also think your new fringe looks better then your old one even tho your old fringe did still look good.

yes i prefer it too and thanks to you too x:)

Toadstool
April 28th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Oh, Jojo, you look so BEAUTIFUL!!

Idun
April 28th, 2011, 02:01 AM
It´s a success! Very fresh and it really becomes you!

I would go absolutely bonkers with the long bangs tickeling my eyes!

ETA: Sorry, it was a little late. I stopped reading after I saw your beautiful picture with the bangs.

DavidN
April 28th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Normally, I would vote for no fringe, Jojo. However, in your case, I think a fringe looks good, and really does make your eyes stand out! Very nice!

Emerald88
April 28th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Wow - I think it looks fantastic!

bettybc
April 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Hey, too late to post, but you went with the fringe. I absolutely LOVE fringes. I think people get put off them because they get them when they are a teenager and dont know how to manage them.

I have learnt my fine and slightly wavy hair needs a heavy fringe. Wispy fringes just dissapear into the rest of my hair and are a nightmare to keep straight.

Greasy fringe- simple, just wash and blow dry the finge, leave the ret of your hair alone.

Fr

bettybc
April 28th, 2011, 09:55 AM
woops, accidently posted before finishing!!!

was going to say, try different fringe lengths, starting long and going shorter. Your hair dresser will be happy to trim it after a week or so if you feel its too long. I just pop in. I change my fringe and people think I have changed my whole hair style but really I'm still growing my hair!

You have such amazing eyes I would try slightly above the brow next time, you wont be dissapointed.

I find my fringe grows faster than anywhere too for some reason so never have the problem of growing it out. more the problem of getting it trimmed so often.

Enjoy!

bunzfan
April 28th, 2011, 10:38 AM
A fringe looks great on you, you have very striking blue eyes.

jojo
April 29th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Oh, Jojo, you look so BEAUTIFUL!!

thank you, i certainly feel very different!

Itīs a success! Very fresh and it really becomes you!

I would go absolutely bonkers with the long bangs tickeling my eyes!

ETA: Sorry, it was a little late. I stopped reading after I saw your beautiful picture with the bangs. thank you

Normally, I would vote for no fringe, Jojo. However, in your case, I think a fringe looks good, and really does make your eyes stand out! Very nice!thank you David, I tried growing them out but they grew so thin that when my hair was down I felt I looked a mess, loving them now!

Wow - I think it looks fantastic! thank you

Hey, too late to post, but you went with the fringe. I absolutely LOVE fringes. I think people get put off them because they get them when they are a teenager and dont know how to manage them.

I have learnt my fine and slightly wavy hair needs a heavy fringe. Wispy fringes just dissapear into the rest of my hair and are a nightmare to keep straight.

Greasy fringe- simple, just wash and blow dry the finge, leave the ret of your hair alone.

Fr its so easy fringe washing, it took me all of 5 minutes to wash, blow dry and straighten so no biggie plus I can stretch my washes down to twice a week now!

woops, accidently posted before finishing!!!

was going to say, try different fringe lengths, starting long and going shorter. Your hair dresser will be happy to trim it after a week or so if you feel its too long. I just pop in. I change my fringe and people think I have changed my whole hair style but really I'm still growing my hair!

You have such amazing eyes I would try slightly above the brow next time, you wont be dissapointed.

I find my fringe grows faster than anywhere too for some reason so never have the problem of growing it out. more the problem of getting it trimmed so often.

Enjoy! I was thinking about going slightly above the eyebrow next time, fringes are fun as you can experiment with different lengths as they grow so quick plus if i am concentrating on my fringe, I can leave the length alone! thanks for the compliments

A fringe looks great on you, you have very striking blue eyes.
thank you

Rocket22
April 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I vote yes on the bangs. They look completely adorable and make you look younger.

ETA: oops see you did it!! very nice looks fantastic

Aniah
April 30th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Your bangs looks nice (: I wished I had straight hair, I'd cut bangs!

Aniah
April 30th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Your bangs looks nice (: I wished I had straight hair, I'd cut bangs too!

jojo
April 30th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I vote yes on the bangs. They look completely adorable and make you look younger.

ETA: oops see you did it!! very nice looks fantastic ha ha! thanks

Your bangs looks nice (: I wished I had straight hair, I'd cut bangs!
I wish I had straight hair too but mine is more wavy, its takes me and ive timed it 4 mins top to wash, blow dry and straighten! though would be harder with curly hair. and thank you

Mrspuddinhead
May 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Personally I like the look of fringe on you. It softens your face and really draws attention to your beautiful eyes. I would suggest a bit of a longer fringe, one you could side sweep. I think side swept bangs are extremly elegant rather in an updo or down. What ever you decide you will look beautiful either way. :D

*EDIT* Opps I should have read all the post first before posting. Sorry.

breeanna92
May 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I like the fringe! its cute.