PDA

View Full Version : How to put my hair up ? troubleshoot

jhill923
April 26th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ok I hate putting my hair up because I have a long neck and diamond shaped face with pointed chin. So needless to say I look like Olive oil from popeye (in my opinion) if i have my hair up. I need a style that balances out my face.

Braiding is hard because I have layers that wont stay in my braid. I need something that allows my hair to sit at my neck to balance me out. My hair is BSL but the layers make braiding difficult. My dream is to be able to do a messy type boho side braid. Is there a way to maybe braid the top layer and then the bottom and combine them ?? ugh
Sock buns seem like a good option too. I need an up style desperately, I have to use heat on my hair to get it looking decent and I dont wanna do that......so up it needs to go. Been fighting my face shape my whole life. And no I dont think long necks are elegant, not on me. Im very thin so I look gawky.

Any ideas ???

spidermom
April 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Yes; there's a way to combine braids. Can you lace braid or french/dutch braid? If not, there are tutorials out there.

Alix
April 26th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I have layers, and a side part, so what I do is I do a sort of sideways french braid, if that makes sense. I start at the left side of my head and wrap it down to my right, eventually pieces fall out, but it looks really nice and boho and messy when it does.

BSL also works really well for a crown braid, even with layers, I've found. My shortest layer is between chin and SL and I can still do a crown braid.

SpinDance
April 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Lace braids, which are French or Dutch braids that only add from one side may be the answer to your layers. The crown braid already mentioned is a particular kind of lace braid.

I love double lace braids because they catch the shorter hairs that always get out of a single braid. I hate when those new growth hairs are just long enough to get in my face, but not long enough to be caught in a braid. Lace braids solve that for me.