PDA

View Full Version : when your arms are just not long enough to brush!

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I am really struggling with brushing/combing the very ends of my hair; my arms are not long enough!

Other than reaching up from behind, which really hurts as I have arthritis in my hands and shoulder how do you do this?

If I bring my hair forward the ends fluff and other than having arm extensions added, I am at a loss.

Any long hairs wish to share there secrets TIA

Sundial
April 26th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I sprained my arm while reaching behind to comb too. It's my first time growing my hair out and this was unknown territory. It didn't occur to me that I should be bringing my hair forward to comb until I complained to a longhair friend and she patiently explained how she does it (after she is done laughing :rolleyes:).

She parts it in the back and bring each side of her hair forward to comb. I am not sure if this addresses your 'fluff' issue but this is the way I have been doing it since. I'll be happy to learn about other methods of combing though :D

ETA: I remember some longhairs would bring it over 1 shoulder and bend at the waist to comb, but I find that the method I am currently using helps me to deal with iii hair better

Mesmerise
April 26th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Hmm.... I never thought hair could fluff from having it brought forward! Maybe it DOES affect my ends and I don't know because that's how I brush... I have absolutely no idea otherwise how to brush hair that's too long to brush at the back!

ScherzoDeLEON
April 26th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I've always either parted my hair in the back and brought it over my shoulders or flicked it over one shoulder. Sometimes both. :D

faerielady
April 26th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Had to pop in here and say that I can't wait until I have this problem again... LOL

I always combed/brushed mine back in the day by bringing it over my shoulder.

MonaLisa
April 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Can't imagine combing/brushing it at my back.

If I'd be very honest ...:o Well I rarely ever do it, except for washing day...
Never payed attention to how I do it, until this thread..but it's bringing piece by piece to a side...:)

heidihug
April 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I have always (well, since it was BSL and longer) brushed my hair by bringing it all over one shoulder, then the other. I can't imagine being able to brush/comb long hair by not doing that.

pepperminttea
April 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Can't imagine combing/brushing it at my back.

Same, sounds painful! :o I part my hair roughly in the back with my fingers to split it into two halves, bring them round to the front and detangle each of them separately. I find it's a much easier job in two halves than doing it all as one. I've never noticed fluffiness from doing it at the front, apart from the normal fluff I get from brushing.

MrsGuther
April 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I smiled when I opened this thread because only on LHC would anyone be discussing having hair so long they are having difficulty brushing it without pain!! :)

Theobroma
April 26th, 2011, 08:42 AM
If I bring my hair forward the ends fluff and other than having arm extensions added, I am at a loss.

I can't really visualise how that would make the ends "fluff" any more than brushing behind your back would, unless by "bring my hair forward" you mean bending over and actually brushing upside-down?

I just pull all my hair over one shoulder and brush/comb, then pull it all over the other shoulder and repeat. No fluff, no aching arms, no problem. :)

Pickelhaube
April 26th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Like others have said, I always bring my hair over my shoulders to comb it. To get the very ends, I grab the hair and pull it up in one hand, and comb it with the other hand. I could probably detangle from behind if I had to, but it would be really awkward.

If pulling your hair over your shoulder makes it fluff, maybe you could sort of lean to the side and use your neck to swing your hair around to the front without grabbing it?

Anje
April 26th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I just bring my hair over my shoulder to brush it, too. Probably have since waist length at least.

Just wait til it gets past fingertip length. Then brushing really needs some adjustments!

spidermom
April 26th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Yup - me too. Most often I bring half of my hair in front of each shoulder and comb it. Before my recent cut, I had to grasp my hair partway down with one hand and lift it to get the very bottom.

If there's somebody around, I will ask him/her to comb straight down the back for me. It's a nice treat.

BrightEyes7
April 26th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I brush mostly from behind but I can't get to the very ends so I bend at the waist and brush. I have never noticed fluff with brushing from behind vs. not so I can't comment on that issue.

Nightshade
April 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I honestly thought this thread was going to be about excessive arm hair :oops:

Yozhik
April 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I bring it all over my right shoulder and brush it, then bring it over my left shoulder and brush it, then flip it to the back and smooth out the top. :)

I have noticed that when taking length photos this method doesn't allow for the hair to lie completely straight and flat against the back, but it's good for everyday wear or detangling. For length photos, I usually ask DBF to brush it all down the back.

prosperina
April 26th, 2011, 10:27 AM
You could always sit down, bend at the waist, put your head down and pull all your hair in front of you and comb that way... although it all sort of gets fluffy then. hmmm... As long as I don't toss my hair back over my shoulder too quickly my hair doesn't get fluffy when I brush it over my shoulder.

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I can't really visualise how that would make the ends "fluff" any more than brushing behind your back would, unless by "bring my hair forward" you mean bending over and actually brushing upside-down?

I just pull all my hair over one shoulder and brush/comb, then pull it all over the other shoulder and repeat. No fluff, no aching arms, no problem. :)

its hard to explain, when I brush from the front the ends look nice and smooth yet when i toss it back the ends sort of fan out and fluff. hope that makes sense, im terrible at describing stuff:o

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Like others have said, I always bring my hair over my shoulders to comb it. To get the very ends, I grab the hair and pull it up in one hand, and comb it with the other hand. I could probably detangle from behind if I had to, but it would be really awkward.

If pulling your hair over your shoulder makes it fluff, maybe you could sort of lean to the side and use your neck to swing your hair around to the front without grabbing it?

mmmm that sounds like a plan!

thanks to everyone for replying, seems the general way is to part and do each half individually. One last question do you then, just place it or toss it back, maybe I am tossing too hard and that is causing it to fluff?

WaitingSoLong
April 26th, 2011, 12:25 PM
JoJo, I know exactly what you mean by the "fluff". It is not smoothed straight down the back when it is brought forward to brush unless you have magic liquid hair that has no friction!

I just mentioned this in another thread, but here is how I do it: I brush my hair like everyone else said, over the shoulder to detangle.

Make sure you are standing up.

But then to get the "down the back smooth" look I toss my hair in back, grab it at the base of my neck (like a loose ponytail) and then LEAN back and to one side so the LENGTH ONLY of my hair swings out like a pendulum, use the free hand to comb it smooth then lean back and straighten up so the "pendulum" swings back behind me but without touching my back/clothes, then stand normal so the hair lays on your back all smooth. Simple movements. Hard to put in words. Keeping it in a "ponytail" with your hand keeps the hair aligned correctly to fall straight down the back.

jojo
April 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM
JoJo, I know exactly what you mean by the "fluff". It is not smoothed straight down the back when it is brought forward to brush unless you have magic liquid hair that has no friction!

I just mentioned this in another thread, but here is how I do it: I brush my hair like everyone else said, over the shoulder to detangle.

Make sure you are standing up.

But then to get the "down the back smooth" look I toss my hair in back, grab it at the base of my neck (like a loose ponytail) and then LEAN back and to one side so the LENGTH ONLY of my hair swings out like a pendulum, use the free hand to comb it smooth then lean back and straighten up so the "pendulum" swings back behind me but without touching my back/clothes, then stand normal so the hair lays on your back all smooth. Simple movements. Hard to put in words. Keeping it in a "ponytail" with your hand keeps the hair aligned correctly to fall straight down the back.
thank you, at last somebody who understands what im trying to describe, I will try it that way in the morning. Thank you again you have been a great help.

Thanks to everyone else too for your suggestions,

Kristamommyx3
April 26th, 2011, 06:16 PM
its hard to explain, when I brush from the front the ends look nice and smooth yet when i toss it back the ends sort of fan out and fluff. hope that makes sense, im terrible at describing stuff:o

I totally get the same thing! I split my hair in half, brush out both sides in front, and then I flip it all back together and brush from underneath behind my back to bring it together and smooth out the fluffies. :D

luxepiggy
April 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I bring half over each shoulder to detangle. The key to keep the ends from getting fluffy is the way you put it back - don't just fling it over your shoulders like I'm doing in my avatar! That's a guaranteed recipe for fluff :p

Grasp the entire section near the ends (around where you would tie off a braid) with your opposite hand and move it around to your back that way. The motion should be somewhat like you're trying to hug yourself with the arm that's hold the hair (^(oo)^)

Malibu Barbie
April 26th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I too bring it in front to brush it but when I put it behind my shoulders. I bring the brush around my waist and brush the ends from one side then the other if that makes sence.

CaityBear
April 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I always bring my hair over my shoulder to brush it. I've never had a problem with it before.

share801
April 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for asking this question as I thought I was the only one who had the "fluffy" thing going on.

TheBluffs
April 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Throw your hair over so you are brushing on the left side or the right side. Helps me! :)

Sereia
May 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
I always comb my hair in the front, on my chest.. but I do that since it reached SL, it's not a new thing to me..

Madora
May 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
I always bring my hair in front of me, like a curtain, detangle thoroughly, then brush slowly from nape to ends. I follow each motion of the brush with the palm of my other hand (to cut down on static).

I never, ever, toss/fling/throw my hair back! That's asking for tangles!

Instead, I take the ends of my hair in my hand, stand erect, and gently place the hair behind my head, check for any tangles again, and style as usual.

Worked fine on my 47 inch hair back in the 90s.

If you have really long hair (knee) then you could take the hair and wrap it around your neck once or twice, then brush the remainder.

pinkbunny
May 2nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
I flip over the shoulder, but I like to turn my head sideways so I can comb all the way up to my nape. Then I just grab it like a ponytail and gently pull it to the back, letting it run through my hand.

Or you could always get one of these badboys! lol
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4209&pictureid=101745

jojo
May 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
I have see the light LOL now i part it in the middle, then brush each side and then I place it (dont toss no more!) bringing my spare hand up my back and grab the pony and slide my hands down VOILA!

thanks everybody!

Speckla
May 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
I hand the brush to my husband!!! :)

jojo
May 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
^^ well ive done that before now but he pulls a face!

Quixii
May 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Same here. :)