PDA

View Full Version : Ponytail damage

JadeTigress
April 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I learned from this site that ponytails can damage your hair and weaken your roots. So I have immediately switched to a claw clip. I've been wearing a ponytail all the time lately, almost every day for the whole day, and while I'm asleep, too. So I'm wondering if maybe that's contributed to my shed problem. If my shedding starts to decrease now that I'm not wearing ponytails anymore, then I'll know.

Anyway, I'm sure my hair is damaged from it by this point. But what does damage from ponytails look like? I have no idea what to look for in case I need to do any trimming. Also, what's a good way to wear my hair for bedtime (especially once I start oiling at night) so I can start trying to keep my damage to a minimum and reverse what I've already got?

Thanks! :D

mustpannkook
April 25th, 2011, 09:44 PM
If you don't make too tight ponytail it should be fine. Also, use right hair bands. Scrunchies are great if you wear them at home.

JadeTigress
April 25th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Mine are usually pretty tight, the elastic just falls right out if it's not. And I havn't used a scrunchie in forever. I used to use them all the time, but now I don't have them anymore. So I guess I need to restock. :p

racrane
April 25th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah, scrunchies are awesome. I use them and make a loose ponytail at night while my hair is still "unbraidable". I don't know about damage, though...but I do recommend scrunchies!

Debra83
April 25th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Before joining LHC, I was very aware that ponytails had caused me damage.

AFTER joining LHC, I was very careful as to what scrunchies I used and what ties I used to make ponytails with, and how often, and the placement, etc. Therefore, I was TOTALLY shocked when I went to the hairdresser for a microtrim a couple of months ago, and she held up a section in the back that had been broken off and damaged by what I can only assume have been the ponytails. I wasn't even wearing them too tight or anything, but tight enough to keep the holders in most of the time. Sometimes, they would slide out on me. I think it really depends on your hair type, mine is fine.

Now, If I'm doing anything, I really try to do a braid, and not a ponytail.