PDA

View Full Version : Cause of new growth

freznow
June 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I have tons of new growth that has been coming in, I'm fairly positive that it's growth because it has been steadily growing. The hairs range in length up to about 9 or 10 inches. That's perhaps 1.3 years growth for me, give or take a month or two. But I didn't have necessarily 'bad' hair habits even before LHC, so I don't know what to attribute this to.

1.5 years ago I quit shampoo and brushes. I went to CO, and started using a horn comb. Also about this time I started wearing it up instead of in a braid.
1.25 years ago I went vegetarian.
1 year ago I quit commercial products, and went WO.
10 months ago I went NW.
1 month ago (to present) I use herbs to wash.

Those are the only significant changes I have made to my routine since joining LHC. I have, sporadically, improved my diet, though the improvements don't last very long. Occasionally I use oils on my length, but rarely on my scalp. And with the new growth being short, it therefore must be something I did to my innards or my scalp that changed this.

Might it be the vegetarianism? I would have thought that less protein would mean less growth, not more. Might commercial products have been stunting my growth?

frizzinator
June 16th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm doubtful it could be attributed to vegetarianism (speaking from my own experience) and I'm uncertain about the role shampoo plays in hair loss and breakage, but I truly believe not using the brush has something to do with it. Brushing easily pulled out lots of my hair.

Congratulations on your thicker hair!

eadwine
June 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
The switch from brushing to combing did wonders for mine :) So I think that is the cause here :)

frizzinator
June 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Do you use water when you wash with herbs? I'm just wondering if you think using water has anything to do with hair loss? From my experience, I'm thinking it might, but would like to know your thoughts regarding water and hair loss.

Finoriel
June 17th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I think it could also be hormones :)
Remembering my teens I had crazy thick hair and super fast growth back then.

Kirin
June 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM
It could be just the growth cycle of your hair, those hairs were probably shed out at some point and are now in a growing phase. You may only be noticing them more now because you are both looking, and they are much longer

Anje
June 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I got lots of new growth that I attribute to WO washing (well, it's that or grad school). I definitely had a decrease in shedding when I switched to that. Could it be the lack of commercial products on your scalp?

LuXious
June 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I started using henna 13 months ago and quit chemical shampoos 8 months ago. I have about five inches of new hair all over. If you're not hennaing, my guess is cutting out commercial shampoos. All the other things you're doing must be contributing as well, though.